• Published 21st Apr 2020
  • 5,199 Views, 58 Comments

Memories Lost After Daybreaker - SamSwordsman123



Twilight's memories of being abandoned by her friends have been erased by Daybreaker. Will her friends choose to tell her the truth? Or will they keep it a secret? Will Twilight remember? And will she forgive them again?

  • ...
8
 58
 5,199

Chapter 1 Faults Forgotten

All of Twilight’s friends looked at her in shock for a moment after she asked, “What wedding rehearsal?”

“You know… the wedding rehearsal where we…” Shining Armor began to say, but as he thought back to those horrible things he had said to his sister, he couldn't bring himself to describe how he had thrown her out of the wedding. He sighed and looked down.

Rarity looked from Shining Armor to Twilight.

“The Wedding Rehearsal where we… dropped something on your head darling!” she said while grinning nervously.

Everypony looked at her with nervous expressions. Applejack, being the element of honesty, felt the urge to tell the truth right than and there. But then the memory of how she had been the one to tell them to go check on Princess Cadance (really Queen Chrysalis in disguise) after Twilight had accused her of being evil and caused her to run away crying surfaced in her head. Applejack’s heart gave out and she remained silent, unable to tell the truth for the first time since she’d been a filly. That horrible memory of they had all walked past Twilight as though she meant nothing to them. The real Cadance frowned at Rarity, while Luna looked at them all in surprise and Celestia merely looked guilty.

Celestia walked up to Twilight with a look of remorse just as she had done with Luna moments ago.

“Twilight, I’m so sorry!” she said. “I kidnapped you!”

“Kidnapped me?” Twilight repeated. “What? You would never do that!”

“Twilight… I did!” Celestia confessed. “I turned into Daybreaker, just like I did on the day of the wedding when you were hurt!”

“Wedding, me hurt?” Twilight asked. “What are you talking about?”

Luna approached them now.

“What’s the last thing you remember?”

Twilight thought back. “I was in Ponyville, and my friends and I were all going on a picnic.”

So, she remembered everything from before the wedding even came up.

Celestia took a breath.

“Your brother Shining Armor was getting married to your former foalsitter Princess Cadence. But the one he was supposed to marry was an imposter. You… found the real one imprisoned in the caves beneath Canterlot. Then you came back and fought with the imposter. You were poisoned, and I got mad. Seeing you hurt caused me to turn into that fire pony Daybreaker. I was returned to normal briefly, but I… turned back into her just a few hours ago. I’ve always considered you a daughter Twilight! Some part of me wanted you to myself, and that awakened in a dark form within Daybreaker! She… I… took you from your parents.”

Twilight’s mouth fell open.

“You… kidnapped me?” she repeated.

“It wasn’t her fault!” Luna said.

“Yes, it was Luna!” Celestia objected. “All of this was my fault! I failed to see through Queen Chrysalis’s disguise, I couldn’t control myself and stop from turning into Daybreaker! I burned my own city, and tried to steal a child from her parents and raise her as my own!”

Twilight frowned. “I’m not a child, Princess Celestia!”

Celestia shook her head. “No, but I turned you into a baby. I wanted to erase your memories and raise you as my own daughter. I attacked your mother!”

At this point Twilight was too shocked.

“What? You attacked my mother!?” she turned to Shining Armor. “Where is she?”

Shining Armor lead them to the hospital wing of the castle where the guards would have likely taken Twilight Velvet and Night Light once they’d been released from prison. Twilight Velvet was being tended for her burns by a unicorn doctor casting a healing spell. The fur that had been blackened from Daybreaker’s fire after Velvet attempted to fight the fiery pony was back to its gray form. She looked up as Twilight and her friends entered the room.

“Twilight! Oh thank…” Velvet cut herself off as she saw Celestia (the very pony whose name she’d been about to say, as it was a common saying) enter behind Twilight.

“You!” she pointed a hoof at the Princess.

Celestia actually shook in her shoes. Quite literally as she was the only pony here to actually wear shoes, of gold no less. Twilight Velvet growled and got up from her bed, glaring at Celestia as she walked toward her. Velvet was small for a full-grown pony, even smaller than her own daughter.

“Velvet!” Night Light exclaimed, watching his wife.

“Mom,” Twilight cautioned, looking at her mother in concern before an aura of gold light pushed her aside.

Celestia walked forward to meet Velvet with remorseful eyes as she beheld the cold blue eyes which where usually warm and happy. She took a breath, remembering the great fury Velvet had displayed when preparing to fight her, how her entire body had radiated magic.

“If you wish to punish me for trying to steal Twilight, get on with it Velvet!” she said. “Hoofslap me silly! Throw me around with your magic!”

Velvet continued to glare at Celestia for a moment. She than got up on her hindlegs and struck the Princess across the cheek with all her might. All the ponies mouths fell open as they watched somepony slap Celestia.

“Consider yourself lucky you had Twilight in front of you when you turned her into a baby!” Velvet said. “If she had not been in my way, I swear I would have destroyed you on the spot!”

Looking into Velvet’s eyes, there was no doubt about that. Velvet than looked at her daughter.

“Oh, Twilight, honey! Are you alright? Did she hurt you?” she asked, putting her hooves around her daughter as tears appeared in her eyes.

“No, I’m fine,” Twilight said. “I just can’t remember some things.”

Velvet gasped. “She took your memory?”

“Not all of it, just what happened recently. My brother’s getting married to Princess Cadance?” Twilight said with a smile, looking at the couple.

“Yeah, and you’re… going to be Best Mare,” Shining Armor said.

“Best mare?” she repeated, her smile getting brighter. “Me?”

“Well… yeah. Who else would I have made best mare?” Shining Armor asked, pain tearing at his chest again as he recalled how he had stripped her of that title.

“Yes! Yes!” Twilight began bouncing around. “My brother’s marrying Cadance! My brother’s marrying Cadance!”

Shining Armor could not bring himself to flail his hooves into the air like he always did whenever Twilight began doing that bouncing because both of them were so happy. Twilight noticed.

“What’s wrong, BBBFF?” she asked, looking sad.

He sighed. “It’s just been a stressful time recently.”

“Ain’t that the truth!” Applejack grumbled.

Everypony looked at her in fear. Applejack clenched her teeth, wanting so desperately to be honest. But the image of how she’d lead everypony away from her sad friend forbade it.

“Well, its not going to be stressful for my children anymore!” Velvet said. “Twilight, Shining, you are to both resign from your roles as the Princesse’s student and Captain!”