• ...
51
 1,533
 5,536

PreviousChapters Next
Bynary

Sunburst avidly read through the book in his hooves, as the train chugged along from Canterlot back towards Ponyville. He was so focused on his reading, he didn't even register the unicorn beside him moving closer until she was to the point where her breath tickled his cheek. At which point he did notice her, and promptly proceeded to jerk back in surprise, almost dropping his book.

Her coat was a light, soft purple, and her tidy blue mane framed her face with two identical braids on each side, while a third braid ran down her neck. Coloured streaks shot through it, both deep purple and silver, adding vibrancy to the patterns her braids created. Her tail, similarly coloured, was left free of restrictions, but still clearly brushed regularly. Her cutie mark was a spiraling pattern of white stars, with five distinct arms all converging towards the centre. "Hello. I'm Starshine Flicker," she introduced herself.

Sunburst settled into a more composed but still partially reclined sitting position. "Hello. Can I help you with something?"

"Oh, I was just getting a look at your book. I've been trying to get my hooves on something rare as that for ages but every copy is always booked by someone important and I never get a chance." Her face suddenly lit up. "Oh my! You must be Sunburst! Oh, I've heard so much about you!" She moved towards him in a motion that was technically only barely not a pounce, effectively landing with her front hooves on each side of his body.

Sunburst looked up at her through his glasses, clearly confused. "Uh. I am. You have?"

"Of course I have!" Starshine leaned down, her face mere centimetres from him. "The great Sunburst the Bearded, friend of Princess Twilight Sparkle, Royal Crystaller of Princess Flurry Heart, Vice-Headmare of the School of Friendship, you are one of the most important contemporary unicorns in all of Equestria and beyond!" Her body sunk even lower and she effectively laid herself on top of the stallion, staring right into his eyes and beaming an impossibly wide smile at him.

Sunburst swallowed, uneasy, and took a look around the carriage. No one else was there. Just him, Starshine, and the book. "Thank you," he said, unsure of what more to do.

"So..." the mare began, drawing circles in the seat with her hoof next to his head. "Can I read with you? Oh, actually, you could read aloud and teach me! I would love to listen to you read." She shifted back and forth, still lying atop Sunburst's body.

"Well... I suppose. I don't see a reason why not."

"Hold on, let me get you in a more comfortable position." Starshine grabbed hold of Sunburst back and then she pulled, flipping their respective positions and ending with her belly up, lying on the seats, and Sunburst belly down on top of her. "There."

Still a little hesitant, Sunburst opened his book again. But just as he was about to start reading, Starshine Flicker disappeared.

Author's Note:

Proofreading by IncongruousAndHarmonious

PreviousChapters Next