• ...
51
 1,533
 5,532

PreviousChapters Next
Spyke

Starlight stalled a single moment longer, just to steel her nerves and make as sure as she possibly could that she would not fail in what she had to do. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes for a moment, and readied her magic as best she could. Then she exhaled. Her eyes opened, her disguise dropped, and all the magic she had available but the amount needed to keep herself up in the air shot through the tunnel connecting the spell in front of her to the weapon powering it. It was a brief exchange, not reaching a second's length, but it was one of the most intense moments in her life, both for the knowledge of everything that could possibly go wrong weighing down on her and for the sheer amount of magic she channelled all at once.

She did not stay there to see if it had worked. The first thing she did, immediately after the energy she'd set free had left its last connection with her horn, was teleport back to the ground and as far away as she could towards the centre of town. She even let go of herself as she did so, undoing her telekinesis and for a split second submitting to gravity to have enough power to make it as far as she possibly could. Once there, she briefly heaved her heavy breath, then she started to run.

She could see that the hailstorm of magic had stopped, just as she could feel the results of the one magic bolt that had reached her before she'd managed to teleport away. The way it had dug into her side. She did not turn to look at how serious the damage was, she did not have time for it either way. Just as she'd figured would happen, the moment the soldiers had detected her they'd immediately taken aim and fired at her. And though she'd seemingly been successful in her endeavour, they would be following her. Without enough magic left to hide herself and with her teleportation certainly tracked, and her destination known, it was hard to imagine she'd make it all the way without being found.

The cold trickle dampening her flank became impossible to ignore, as did the way her vision blurred at times. She had no magic to close the wound with and stopping to hold it with her hooves would have been suicidal. The only hope she had was running into a group of constructs or guards before the enemy soldiers ran into her. So she ran forward, hoping that would be the case, at times without even seeing the road she was travelling on if not as blurred blotches of colour.

She thought she heard bolts of magic flying at some point, and crashing against the crystal around her. She realised she'd fallen, and something was holding her. She couldn't see or hear anything clearly, nor feel anything but how damp and cold her coat had become on one side. Then there was only darkness and silence.

PreviousChapters Next