• ...
51
 1,533
 5,535

PreviousChapters Next
Mindfulness

Shadows slowly began to rise from the edges of the crystal cage Shining had been trapped inside of, while its walls grew thicker and new chunks sprouted to cover every open section and stop all light from entering. Soon he found himself with only the light of his horn to show what was around him, and as the shadows deepened that too became useless.

He'd expected Sombra to attack him, having him cornered, but instead the other seemed content with merely staring at him. Two glowing green eyes floating in the darkness, the only thing he could see. Shining took a step back, expecting to run into the jagged wall behind him, but there was nothing there. Sombra's eyes began to drift and circle around him, slowly at first, then picking up speed. He could hear his breathing, but it never seemed to come from the right place, it never seemed to be at the right distance.

Shining felt his knees suddenly weak. Looking down he saw them enveloped by the darkness around him, then that too became too hard to see. A couple of moments later, the shadows grew so thick the light of his horn stopped reaching his eyes. Still Sombra floated around him, two pools of light in the cold nothingness. Shining felt himself pulled towards them, and he wasn't sure if his legs were merely failing him or if there was a subconscious desire moving him.

The eyes seemed to be growing bigger. Moving faster, but Shining didn't have a hard time keeping up with them. Everything was spinning, and yet it didn't feel weird or odd. Since he'd stopped seeing his body, he'd slowly stopped being able to sense it too. Yet he wasn't concerned by that. It felt natural to drift in the darkness. It felt natural to float in the shadows.

There was only one other thing in there. Those wide, radiant pools of green in front of him. Nothing else to see. Nothing else to do. Would it be wrong to go towards them? It was all he could do, after all. Just go a little deeper, sink towards the light. So close he could almost touch it, he felt. Why not go a little further?

Suddenly, though, something else caught his attention. A sound, a very quiet sound, like glass shattering somewhere far away. Somewhere behind him. He turned. He felt something pulling against him, trying to draw his body back towards Sombra's eyes, but he consciously pushed back and towards the sound. It was hard, and the shadows were harder to push through than any mud or snow he'd ever walked through. He grit his teeth, and looked ahead.

And then he saw something. Small, far away, but something was there. A tiny, weak blue sparkle, a gossamer shimmer like light flowing in from the cracks on an eggshell. The darkness seemed to come loose, and he pushed forward still. And then he heard something again, different this time. A voice, distant and quiet. A voice he recognised.

"Shining!" Cadence called to him.

PreviousChapters Next