• ...
51
 1,533
 5,535

PreviousChapters Next
Like Water and

Sunburst silently nodded for Twilight to continue with her exposition, listening to what she had to say.

"He said he's the one who's been directing the Behemoth to where it needs to go, and I'd say he unfortunately provided enough evidence to support that claim. And no, he hasn't told me why that is where it is, why it needs to be there, or for what," Twilight explained. "But he does seem to know a lot about a lot of things." She began to walk as she talked, heading upwards through the trees and magically setting the freshly fallen ones straight.

"How did you find out he was there, and how does he control the Behemoth?" asked Sunburst, following behind Twilight. He plucked a new pair of glasses for himself out of thin air, and once he'd settled them on his muzzle he began to help as he could with the damage the step had caused.

Pushing a chunk of rock precariously hanging on some roots back into the ground, Twilight answered, "Firecracker found him first. They accidentally ended up there, long story. As for how he can control the Behemoth, it seems to be just a pair of reins."

Sunburst almost stumbled. "Reins? I'd have expected a proper command console for something that size. For a moment you had me wondering if it was all mechanised." He shook his head and blinked himself back to focus, his tone regaining a bit of its previous hardness. "Get to the part where you being there made that thing move again."

"It was his decision," said Twilight, "I want that to be clear. We spent a while talking, and I'll happily enlighten you on the contents of our discussion once we have more time." She reached a relative summit and began to scan the area around with her gaze. "But at one point he began to insist on my inability to stop him, and he decided he was going to prove that to me."

"And?" Sunburst reached Twilight and stood at her side.

"He was right." Twilight's horn flashed for a moment, and the two reappeared a mild distance outside a city. She began to walk towards it, and continued, "He warned me he would make the Behemoth move again, just to force me into action. I tried to stop him. I failed. Nothing of what I said to him was meant to incite this course of action, but I can't deny that if I hadn't been there, this wouldn't have happened." She threw a glance at noticeably damaged building in the distance along with those last words.

Sunburst marched onwards at her side, silent for a moment. "I trust you," he finally said. "Of course I trust you. But I hope what you managed to learn while talking to him was enough to help us through this."

"There's one more thing you should probably know." Twilight stopped walking, to ensure she remained far enough from the city for a moment longer. She swallowed, feeling Sunburst's eyes turn to her. "He's no longer there. The Behemoth won't move on its own, but the Charioteer might be anywhere in Equestria right now."

PreviousChapters Next