• ...
51
 1,533
 5,533

PreviousChapters Next
Incessant

"Ask away," the Charioteer replied.

"How do they get where they are found?" Twilight asked. "Do they appear there by themselves? Do they travel there? Are they there all along, waiting just to be found? Were they shed as the Behemoth walked, or are they being shed now as it stands?"

"It's more than just a couple things you still want to know," the Charioteer said. He seemed to be humming a tune to himself, but Twilight couldn't quite tell for sure. "Let's see." He cleared his throat, then continued, "They were mostly lost as the Behemoth first walked, and that explains why they are so spread out. That doesn't mean they are already there to be found." His eyes studied Twilight's expression. "And it should be noted that the Behemoth had been stepping on this land for a while already before you took notice of it."

The only visible reaction Twilight had to the revelation was a sudden blink of her eyes and a very slight tension in her legs, making her lean just a few millimetres back. On the inside though, the effects of having heard that were far more pronounced. But she could always ask clarifications at a later moment. "Are there still more to be found?" she asked, in the coldest and most detached tone she could manage.

"Indeed there are," said the stallion. "And there'll continue to be for, well, for long enough to see this world meet its end, though they might get a bit more scarce towards the end. And afterwards, scales are fickle things. I doubt whoever might wander in here from a different universe will find more than a few. Things would be quite too easy otherwise. And unfair, it's not like you're getting that luxury with the worlds you meet."

Stretching her neck, Twilight momentarily scrunched up her face. It felt stiff, but she couldn't tell if it was the Behemoth's presence or merely tension. "What of their connection with those who find them? Is there something special about it, or is it merely an effect of being exposed to one?"

"There is something there, yes." Once more, the Charioteer appeared to be studying Twilight's face. "Every scale only has one creature it's meant to be found by. A bond that can't be undone or modified, not by theft nor by other acts. And it does affect one, in particular, of a given scale's uses."

"Because scales do have multiple uses," said Twilight.

"Indeed, but you knew that already." The Charioteer took a short step forward, though nothing else came from it. "I'm sure you are quite tempted to ask me about them. But where would the fun be if you just knew? I want you to find out yourself. Besides..." For just a moment, he appeared to be looking towards something else at Twilight's side, an impression so strong the mare actually slightly turned her head to look at the nothing there. "Better to leave some things unsaid when someone else might be listening."

PreviousChapters Next