• ...
51
 1,533
 5,535

PreviousChapters Next
Entanglement

"Oh. Oh, good, it looks like I made it, good. I wasn't actually sure it would work. For a moment I actually feared I really had gone mad and imagined the whole thing," said the stallion. "Can you imagine that? That would have been awful."

Once she was done recoiling in utter shock at the pony who'd suddenly materialised in front of her out of nowhere, the unicorn moved the custard coloured bangs of her mane away from her eyes and took on a more cautious, defensive stance. "Who are you?" she hissed, in part trying to scare the stallion, in part scared herself.

"Quite the nice work you did here," said the stallion, completely ignoring the question, as he had a look at the ruins around them and at the added layer of ruin on them that the mare was presumably responsible for. "I'm just here to get this thing rigged up so it goes off when it should. Hopefully." He began to walk past the other.

The apricot pony turned to follow him with her eyes. "What's this all about?" she barked, her tone still in the awkward space between annoyed and worried. "I wasn't told anything about someone else being involved!" She hesitated for a moment. "Are you the one who called me here? How did you know? What do you want?"

The stallion had his eyes set on a particular pillar, and appeared to be studying both it and the terrain around it. "Not me, I'm afraid, although we likely have the same employer. Employer? We're not really being employed here. We're more like contractors, I suppose, though we're not really being paid. Well, we are receiving something out of this, or at least I am, I don't know about you. Not money though. And I suppose you don't know who's making us do this. I know, or at least I think I know, but then again I could be wrong." He briefly turned back towards the mare. "If it makes you feel any better, I don't have the faintest clue who you are either."

The unicorn looked almost offended at that, and was about to say something before seemingly thinking better of it. She simply shook her head instead. "Well, whatever. My work here is done. You, like, never saw me and stuff, if anyone asks. Except whoever asked us to do this, I guess." She started to turn, intent on walking away. "And if you see them, tell them I delivered on my part of the deal, and I expect them to do the same."

"Will do," the stallion replied, now closer to the pillar. "I'm sure they will." He looked like he was fidgeting about with the base, moving around little chunks of stone and small piles of dust.

The mare kept walking back, with her eyes still on the stallion, confused as to what he was doing almost as much as she was starting to be confused by what he was wearing. Finally she shook her head, turned around, and walked away, hoping nothing bad would come of their encounter.

PreviousChapters Next