• ...
51
 1,533
 5,536

PreviousChapters Next
RRtR

"This seat isn't occupied, right?"

The unicorn sitting next to the window looked up at the mare who'd asked the question. "Oh, no. Feel free to sit here." He moved slightly aside to free up some more space.

As the train began to move, the mare sat down, setting her beige briefcase between her hooves. "Lovely weather today, isn't it?"

The unicorn looked back to her, a little surprised she was so suddenly initiating a conversation. "I suppose so."

"I do quite like this part of the year," the mare went on. "Not many bugs around anymore. What brings you away from Ponyville?" She turned to the stallion.

He, again, looked taken a little aback by the mare's continued attempts to push the discussion, but after a moment decided to go along with it. "I'm, uh, visiting my parents. I haven't seen them in a while." He was silent for a second. "What about you?" he then asked, trying to play his own part in the discourse.

"I had some business to take care of in town," the mare replied. "Now that's done." A pause. "I did see my mother as well. She doesn't actually live here, but I thought I could take her along, as a sort of vacation. To catch up on all the time we'd missed. And I'd always wanted to see the castle up close, so it was nice to get to do that as well."

"I see," said the unicorn. "Where to now, then?"

The mare seemed to legitimately ponder the question, pressing her lips together and humming for a moment or two. "There's an old friend of mine I haven't seen in a while. I might decide to pay him a visit. I still have business to do, and he lives somewhat far from here, but I should have time. It might still take a while before I see the consequences of what I was up to here, and business cannot quite procede before then."

The stallion looked curious. "May I ask what it is you were doing in Ponyville?"

"You may," answered the mare with a smile. It turned into a grin. "Don't expect an answer though."

The unicorn wasn't sure if he was supposed to take it as a joke or as a rude jab, but he decided to go with the former and shook his head. "How was seeing the castle up close, then?"

The mare shrugged. "Nothing special, really. Not bad, I suppose, but it could certainly be better. Though I find it more interesting for its nature than for its architecture and looks, if I have to be sincere. Sadly, there is not much one can research on the topic. Especially not now that it is being used as a laboratory."

"It used to be Princess Twilight's personal residence before that," replied the stallion, "I doubt ponies were simply allowed in and out back then."

"True, perhaps." The mare dismissively waved a hoof. "But I'm sure she would have allowed curious researchers such as myself a look inside. And perhaps some testing as well. I suppose that will have to wait a while still, then."

PreviousChapters Next