• ...
51
 1,533
 5,536

PreviousChapters Next
Pillars

"I'm a warlock now," Pinkie casually announced to the other three girls sat at the table.

Sunset only briefly looked up at her, then turned back to her soup.

Fluttershy broke off a chunk of bread and ate it, then turned to Pinkie. "So, uh, how did it happen?" she asked, halfway genuinely curious and halfway simply wanting to get a conversation going.

"Made a pact with an eldritch entity in exchange for power." Pinkie stabbed her fork into her pasta and brought it to her mouth, giving a dismissive wave with her other hand. "You know, the usual stuff. They said they were an avatar of a reflection of the Raven, or something like that."

"And how are we sure this dark and powerful entity won't go around town causing destruction and mayhem?" asked Sunset, a little amused at Pinkie's reply.

"Oh, don't worry about that." Pinkie drained her glass of water. "They're on the other side, I don't think they'd keep their powers if they came here. I don't even know if they can come over here, actually." She looked up in thought, a finger to her lips.

There was a sputter to Sunset's left, as Twilight almost choked on her food. "You're telling me you found another portal? And you didn't tell me?" she asked, once she finally managed to swallow again.

"How else am I supposed to go visit myself? You keep putting guards around the ones we find," Pinkie replied from Twilight's left. "And technically I did tell you. Right now."

In front of her, Sunset spoke up. "Are you keeping an eye on it?"

Pinkie nodded. "Of course I am. Can't let people wander into it by accident and wonder why all their things are horse things all of a sudden."

Twilight looked between the two, and her rage deflated into a sigh. "Point. She's already better than any security we could put up. But you still should have told me sooner." She broke off a small bit of bread and ate it. Then she turned to Pinkie again. "Wait, so you're serious about this warlock thing, aren't you?"

"Of course I am."

Sunset and Fluttershy traded uneasy glances. The latter spoke first. "What kind of powers did you get out of it, exactly?"

"We're still debating that, actually." Pinkie waved her fork around as she spoke, pushing Twilight to lean back just in case. "I don't really need anything destructive, I've got that covered for now while it's still small scale stuff," she continued, tapping her geode for emphasis. "I still need to decide a few details. I'm going back there tomorrow to talk about it with them."

Sunset nodded, more out of resignation than anything. "Maybe make sure this thing doesn't plan to do anything evil here or on the other side of the portal."

"What exactly do they want in return?" Fluttershy asked. At Twilight's questioning glare, she replied, "Patrons usually ask for something in return for lending their powers. They don't just gift it around for free." Once Twilight's stare grew only more questioning, and Sunset's joined it, she looked up at the ceiling. "This is fairly standard knowledge, girls. Can we go back on topic?" She turned to Pinkie, hopeful.

"Oh, not much." Pinkie, having finished her pasta, set down her fork. Then literally licked the plate. "For now, I just need to push this one guy through a portal a week from now."

PreviousChapters Next