• ...
51
 1,533
 5,535

PreviousChapters Next
Carried Along

Adagio was the first back out of the portal. And she almost made it there still on her feet, but Sonata crashing into her as she stepped out behind her brought both of them on the ground. Aria was not as hasty as either of them as she stepped back into the human world, but the pile of bodies right in front of her feet as she walked out of the portal still meant she lost her balance, fell down and became part of it.

At the bottom of the pile, Adagio propped her head up with an arm, and resting her chin on her hand began to drum with her fingers on her cheek, waiting for the other two to take themselves off of her, an unamused expression decorating her face. Aria, being the one on top, was the first to get off, and after dusting off her clothes she helped Sonata up with a hand. Feeling the weight over her lift, Adagio too stood up, cleaning her clothes as best she could and then posing as if nothing had happened.

"So much for finally getting our revenge," Aria said, her arms crossed as she looked at the portal with spite.

"We'll go back," Adagio replied. "We just need to wait for the other side to be clear." There was a distinct growling sound underneath her words, like that produced by a cat who's ready to lash out against someone.

"If the other side ever is clear," Aria said.

Sonata just stood in a corner, looking sad and miserable. "I miss flying."

Adagio ignored her. "We'll wait here. We're going back in later, tonight if we have to. We are not leaving this place until we have magic again, and we're writing down the coordinates."

"Do we have food with us?" asked Aria.

"I don't care if we have food with us! We'll have all the food we want once the people of this world are crawling beneath us," Adagio snapped.

Aria and Sonata looked at her for a moment, silent, eyes wide. "I do want food," said the latter.

Adagio growled at her.

"I'll go check if we have food," Aria said, walking towards the van.

Adagio turned her head towards the portal and began to glare at it, a mix of frustration and desire on her face. Then sometimes else caught her attention, and she placed a hand on her chest, her expression at once confused and concerned.

"We do have food!" Aria announced from inside the van. She then stepped out, just in time to see Adagio sliding a hand beneath her clothes. "Did that thing finally stab itself in your ribs? I get keeping it, but don't you think it's kind of obsessive to wear it all the time?"

"Shut up, will you?" With a tug, Adagio pulled out the necklace she wore, and stared at the red gem attached to it. And a grin slowly spread over her lips.

Seeing her, the other two did the same, fetching their respective gems from within their pockets. And both of them were slowly overtaken by excitement, as they watched the red sparks of energy dance and crackle within the crystals.

"Maybe we can leave for now, after all," Adagio purred, donning her necklace once again.

PreviousChapters Next