• Published 20th Apr 2020
  • 9,514 Views, 180 Comments

Friendship is Bureaucracy: Marriage Laws - The Sleepless Beholder



Shortly after being defeated in the Canterlot invasion, Chrysalis decides to use her most powerful weapon against the ponies; bureaucracy.

  • ...
17
 180
 9,514

Look out! She has a briefcase!

Cadence and Shining Armor walked through the corridors of Canterlot castle, worried about the news that Queen Chrysalis had been seen again in Canterlot.

“What could she be planning now? You would think being thrown into the horizon would send the message of ‘you’re not welcomed here’,” Cadance wondered, until a tall dark figure appeared in front of them.

“Like that has ever stopped me.”
Cadence stood firm, preparing for a fight.

“Why are you wearing a suit?” asked Shining, making her wife do a double check on the changeling queen.
She was wearing a grey business suit with blue tie, some reading glasses, and a black briefcase floated beside her.

“What… are you doing?” Cadence asked, confused at the new look in her mortal enemy.

“I’m here to make my demands,” Declared the changeling.

“You were defeated… like three days ago. Guards are coming to arrest you as we speak.”

“That won’t be necessary, I’m willing to drop any hostilities with you ponies if my demands are met.”

“Yeah, like if we are going to give you anything.”

“Shouldn’t we at least hear what she wants? End things peacefully?” Asked Shining, but Cadence pulled him aside.

“She brainwashed you honey; you don’t need to defend her.”

“Don’t pull him aside, he’s the center of this conversation.”

“How so?”

“My demands are; to be allowed to live with my husband, Shining Armor, as his wife.”

Silence filled the corridor.

“Excuse me, what?”

“We married each other, remember? Three days ago?”

“No, I interrupted the ceremony, Celestia didn’t declare you husband and wife.”

“We were married in private before the ceremony.”

“What? How? By who?”

“Allow me to explain.” Chrysalis pushed her glasses back and opened her briefcase, taking out half a dozen documents before reading off one.

“You see, during the times of the wendigos, ponies weren’t really big fans of great ceremonies like the ones of now, and also some marriages were made in secret to avoid the judging eyes of other ponies, so when Equestria was founded, Chancellor Puddinghead made sure that these private types of marriages remained valid to help the ponies adapt to the new ways of peace and coexistence, without having some still-distrusting old folk shame them away from their union.”

Chrysalis continued with another of her documents.

“Later on, when ponies where more comfortable with their public acceptance, ceremonial marriages became the norm. However, due to ponies incompetence in anything other than spontaneous musical numbers; the old law of marriage wasn’t changed, so it’s still valid to marry in private as long as you have the right documentation as proof.”

She showed Cadence a marriage certificate, signed by her and Shining Armor.

“No, you must have forged this,” exclaimed Cadence, and Chrysalis pulled out another document.

“215 years after the founding of Equestria, Royal Ink invented a form of irrefutable signature based on a creature’s hoof or palm. This magical signature is unique to every creature and it can’t be forged. Even by me.”

Cadence fired a magic blast at the document, but it simply bounced off the paper and destroyed a window.

“It also makes it magic proof.”

“You are not married to my husband, Shining and I married after your invasion. He can’t have two wives!”

“Oh, he can. Polygamy has been legal since the founding of Equestria.”

“What?!”

“You see, to show the promise of peace and union between the three pony races, Princess Platinum married Chancellor Puddinghead and Commander Hurricane. It was a mostly political marriage, emphasis in mostly, and the practice of polygamy didn’t become very popular, but it’s still legal in the eyes of the law.”

Cadence and Shining had their jaws hanging open.

“But don’t worry, I don’t mind sharing my husband with you.”

“You are not married to him!”

“The documents say otherwise.”

“Celestia!” screamed Cadence, and the monarch appeared in a flash of light.

“Chrysalis! What’s the- oh no…” Celestia looked actually scared of the suit-wearing changeling.

“I want you to make this document null and void,” demanded Cadence.

“Why? What is it?” asked Celestia with an awkward smile.

“She married Shining without his consent.”

Celestia looked at Shining, and then at Cadence. “You can’t sign documents without some desire to fulfill the contract. The magical signature prevents it.”

Cadence stared at Shining, who was trying to remember how teleportation works.
“Would you seriously marry that thing?! She’s just an overgrown cockroach!”

“You do remember I can shapeshift, right?”

“Of course I remember. But before I murder you two, aunty, could you please just destroy this cursed piece of paper?” asked Cadence with a smile, but one could clearly see the vein she was about to pop.

Celestia looked at Cadence with a nervous smile. “I- I would. But…”

“Allow me to explain.” Chrysalis puled out more documents and cleared her throat.
“430 years after the coronation of the two sisters, Celestia tried to change some laws in Equestria to facilitate the industrialization of the country, but it was met with great opposition from other nobles, and by the end, it ended in a severe legal battle that threaten to start a revolution. To avoid this, Celestia accepted the demand that she couldn’t change or remove any laws not established by her or her sister to preserve the old culture of the ponies.”

“And the law of private marriage is one of those,” added Celestia at the end.

“Then get some other member of the court to nullify it for you!”

Celestia looked away. “About that…”

Chrysalis pulled more papers.
“Two years after the banishment of princess Luna, Celestia managed to stablish a law that dictates that all new laws had to be proposed to, and then accepted by, Celestia. And any changes or removal of laws would also need her approval. This gave her a monopoly in pony law, but it also created a loophole. She can’t interfere with laws from before this event, and any pony that could, now has to request Celestia’s authorization, which she can’t give for the reason presented before.”

There was a long silence. Then Cadence screamed.

“I WANT A DIVORCE!”

“You will divorce Shining?” Chrysalis asked confused.

“No! maybe.” Cadence looked at Shining, who had been slowly walking towards the broken window to escape. “You, will divorce this cockroach!”

“If he really wants that, it can be done. But first we would have to settle the custody of the kids.”

“KIDS?!” screamed Cadence, her vein finally popping.

“When we married each other, my hive became his, so they are all our children.” Chrysalis showed her the back of the marriage certificate, which showed a long list of names in tiny font so they could fit in the paper.
“Each one of the 16,437 changelings would need to be interviewed in private by professionals over the course of a week to determine to which parent they would be more comfortable living and preparing them for the possibly traumatic change in their lives. Then we would have to determine a price for child support that Shining would have to pay at the end of every month, and I assure you it will not be a short time.” Chrysalis adjusted her glasses. “Doing some rough math, I would say it would take around 315 years and cost 11,308,656 bits per month.”

Cadence and Celestia were speechless, and Shining would too if he hadn’t just jumped through the broken window.

“Wait, you are a criminal! You invaded Canterlot three days ago! Just arrest her and we will put all of this under the rug and pretend it never happened!” Cadence was starting to sound more delirious.

“Well, as I had stated before, if I’m allowed to remain as Shining’s wife, I’m willing to make peace.”

“And why in her name would we do that?” asked Cadence, pointing at Celestia.

Chrysalis pulled one final paper form her briefcase, this one covered with an old folder that had a TOP SECRET stamp on it.

“I’m sure the event 35 years after the coronation of Celestia and Luna as princesses would be preferred to remain secret to the public.”

“What event?”

“I Celestia, accept your proposal of peace and absolve you of your crimes against Equestria so you may follow your life as Shining’s wife.”

“Wait what?”

“I have the document ready.” Chrysalis presented the paper, and after a quick but cautious read, Celestia signed it, and the changeling queen following suit.

“No, you can’t do this to me!” begged Cadence to Celestia.

“Sorry Cadence, but it’s done. I hope you can get over it.”

“How am I supposed to do that?!”

Celestia lighted her horn, and a glass bottle with a clear liquid inside appeared in Cadence’s hooves.

“This may help.”

Cadence looked at the bottle’s stamp; ‘Yakyakistan’s special, 95% ABV.’
The princess of love was in shock, but after a few minutes, she opened the bottle and took a long drink before walking away.
Once they were alone, Celestia got closer to Chrysalis.

“Do you really know what happened that year?”

The changeling queen smiled. “You mean your marriage… to your sister?”

“You will never talk about this ever again, and if you hide any evidence you may have, you will have no objections from me about the integration of your hive to Equestria.”

“Very well. You know, I never got the details about that day, would you mind giving me at least a clue?”

“No.” Celestia teleported away.

“Worth a shot.”

That day, the changelings were declared allies of Equestria, which confused many, and enraged the ones affected by the attack, but the selected diplomat and spokesman of the changelings, Thorax, managed to mend any bad relations, and before the year ended, they were fully integrated in pony society.

As for Cadence, the rampaging alcoholism she developed from the event pushed the yaks to open a new brewery exclusively for her, which boosted their economy and helped the relations between the two nations.

Chrysalis moved in with Shining Armor and defended him from the alcoholic Cadence until she finally resigned and forgave him, giving some stability to the house and fixing their relationship.
She still hates Chrysalis though.

Twilight had a panic attack when she got the news of her new sister in law.

Author's Note:

Something random I made between projects, I hope you like it.

Have a nice existence.

I will be watching you.

Comments ( 180 )

Pfffthahahahaha!

NGL, I'm biased 'cuz Chrysalis is my favorite villain, and this was a treat to read.

Also please tell me Chrysalis had her mane done in a bun :pinkiehappy:

10190584

She's also my favorite, and of course she has a bun, she's a proper lawyer XD

As a lover of all things pony and bureaucratic, and lawyer jokes, this amuses me to no end. Well done!

“Preparation Precedes Victory” as I like to say, and Chrysalis did plenty of preparation. This story gave me a good chuckle, and makes for a nice pallet cleanser after your recent sadfics.

BTW, are you from Europe? Forgive my ignorance, but IIRC Europe splits large numbers with periods instead of commas.

10190756

are you from Europe?

no, South America.

I put the periods because the whole number seemed ugly for me, and didn't know another way to separate it.

makes for a nice pallet cleanser after your recent sadfics

Yup, i wanted to do something funny this time and I'm glad I could give you a chuckle

Funniest part of this story is that it makes Chrysalis much more sane and compassionate towards her subjects' needs than she is in canon.

Nicely random, a heartwarming tale of victory through bureaucracy!

10190777
After they gave the changelings personalities, I wondered how much more success she would have of she used it.
Thorax as a sort of diplomat or maybe spy if you manage to convince him would be quite the advantage.
Make him look like a pony, put him on a soap box, and let him convince the masses to give love instead of being destroyed.

And Phalanx would have been quite useful as a general with his strength and combat motivation.

Okay... holy f***k! That's massed up!!:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Poor Cadence, at least she got Mr. Booze to help her. Twilight? Well, who cares. She always panics easily, that her thing.

10190817

Twilight? Well, who cares. She always panics easily, that her thing.

I imagine a similar reaction to when Starlight befriended Trixie

10190826
And jealous. She was not happy when glimmer befriend Trixie.

civilization has come to the conclusion that it is no longer important who is right and who is wrong; it matters whose lawyer is better or worse. 🤣

10190967
I don't remember if it was in a movie or a series, but a big corporate boss said:

"You don't need to worry about ethics if you have a well paid lawyer."

And now I want more legal shenanigans. Great.

I love when paperwork and technicalities utterly destroy someone.

10191062
Maybe when the Crystal Empire returns

All of my yes

10190775
Commas or spaces are the usual way in English speaking countries. Commas are more popular, especially in the US.
11,308,656 or 11 308 656
With decimal places it would be something like 11,308,656.00 or 11 308 656.00

I feel like the marriage should not be allowed. He signed it with the understanding he was marrying Cadance, not Chrysalis; he did not give informed consent.

Wouldn't being disguised as Cadence mean that Shining Armor married Cadence and not Chrysalis who was posing as Cadence? Not to mention the whole mind control thing, sure Shining signed it... but he wasn't entirely in control of his faculties while doing it. So forged by proxy.

Chrysalis would had to of have appeared in front of the one letting them sign the marriage papers as herself to make it viable, also the minister would have to of known Chrysalis was a changeling and not be under mind control as well. Another forge by proxy.

Also if Chrysalis signed Cadence's name and not her own while disguised as Cadence, then Shining just married Cadence twice. If she did sign her own name, then the official would have noticed that Cadence's name is not on the signed documents before stamping them. They actually have to read the documents over after they are signed in full before making it official. If the official wasn't mind controlled then the wrong name would have been noticed.

With all that, the marriage is automatically void or annulled under false pretenses, still funny though.

2.bp.blogspot.com/_GAzVmpaNcgc/TPSLkrYvXpI/AAAAAAAAAA4/lsTQqIwtGAk/s1600/objection-vector.png
Your Honor! This supposed 'private marriage' is nothing but a sham. Any contract entered under false pretenses is invalid. Not only was Chrysalis hiding her true form and identity with shapeshifting, but Shining Armor had been subject to mental magic that rendered him unable to choose freely. Also, her claim that he bears responsibility for children she had before the marriage is a contradiction! A new parent does not gain responsibility over a child from a previous marriage unless they choose to adopt them. Chrysalis must present proof that Shining Armor adopted each changeling that she claims he bears responsibility for. AND her claim that he would be forced to pay child support is baseless as many of her changelings are well beyond the age of majority and capable of providing for themselves. On every level this document and demand are patently false, your Honor.
The defense rests.

Dang, It works!
I was just testing marriage law around the world and there are some relevance in the story.

Excellent work! Poor Cadance, I hope she did recover from her alcohol problems fully and can have a happy life ;)

Ah! Good to see that you made yet another high quality and exhillaratingly brilliant fanfic! And by God this one was so dramtic and just too good to pass up on! I hope ya didn't mind that I did a little audio reading on this story!

Audio Linty Linky Link!: https://youtu.be/bki7ebQkuWE

(I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment!)

10191237
Trust me, there are things that are similar to this situation and solutions to them seem simple( like what you wrote), to the situations in real life
Some court processes seem simple but they somehow aren't
A good lawyers can do that to defend its client or big rich company

Like here https://www.gofundme.com/f/scp-legal-funds
A guy tries to own SCP Foundation in Russia to have all the profit from merchandise , etc and SCP has to fight in court with him
It's simple, he doesn't own SCP but the guy did it and till they fix it he will milk money till he can

Pffft.
A very nice read indeed

Absolutely delightful. I especially liked Celestia in this story. Thanks for writing this.

Chrysalis moved in with Shining Armor and defended him form the alcoholic Cadence until she finally resigned and forgave him, giving some stability to the house and fixing their relationship. She still hates Chrysalis though.

So Shining has a royal harem?

Can't wait for similar things

10191245
[HEY! LISTEN!]

Psychicscubadiver has a point!

Even if the signature spell ensures that Shining's approval was required for the paper to be signed, she was shape-shifted into her Cadance guise without his awareness. So, in a magically induced drunken stupor or not, he signed under the belief that he was marrying CADANCE! And agreeing to anything legal under false pretenses is FRAUD!

What have you to say about that, QUEEN?!

I'm surprised that in the story, no one mentioned how Twilight is now the auntie over legions of insects.

This got a laugh out of me. Have an upvote and a favorite!

The changeling queen smiled. “You mean your marriage… to your sister?”

I want that Honeymoon story! :pinkiecrazy:

10191217
I will keep it in mind for the future

10191228

10191237

10191245

10191345

Lawyer Chrysalis: adjust glasses.

Wouldn't being disguised as Cadence mean that Shining Armor married Cadence and not Chrysalis who was posing as Cadence? Not to mention the whole mind control thing, sure Shining signed it... but he wasn't entirely in control of his faculties while doing it.

Not only was Chrysalis hiding her true form and identity with shapeshifting, but Shining Armor had been subject to mental magic that rendered him unable to choose freely

Even if the signature spell ensures that Shining's approval was required for the paper to be signed, she was shape-shifted into her Cadance guise without his awareness. So, in a magically induced drunken stupor or not, he signed under the belief that he was marrying CADANCE! And agreeing to anything legal under false pretenses is FRAUD!

“As I stated before; Royal Ink’s form of signature is irrefutable, regardless of the conditions of the pony when it was signed, or if it’s a controversial document, such as a peace treaty, the document is valid due to the signature’s magic. Also, as I said before, the signature can’t be forged, even with shapeshifting, (it would be quite the advantage if it could), so I signed it as Chrysalis, not Cadence.

Regarding Shining’s mind control, Celestia stated that a contract can’t be signed without some desire to fulfill it. Shining had some fantasy of marrying a being like me, (obviously) and when presented with the chance, he signed it with that desire in mind.

Chrysalis would had to of have appeared in front of the one letting them sign the marriage papers as herself to make it viable, also the minister would have to of known Chrysalis was a changeling and not be under mind control as well.

The ceremony was made with a pony minister, and the one that corroborated the documents was also a pony. They both were aware of my true form but proceeded with the ceremony regardless.

her claim that he bears responsibility for children she had before the marriage is a contradiction! A new parent does not gain responsibility over a child from a previous marriage unless they choose to adopt them

You are right in this one. It was a bluff that Celestia and Cadence didn’t see through.
Ponies aren’t good with bureaucracy.”

10191298
I will never mind a reading from you, and I can't wait to hear it.

Glad you liked it!

10191302
Yeah, the whole SCP situation has me disgusted with whatever asshole is behind it and Russian bullshit laws.

I really hope they can win and SCP reamins free.

10191359
Shhh, you will give her another panic attack

10191259
I did some research before writing.

You have to give it to her... she looks good in black :coolphoto:

This is fucking great I love it!

Oh Cadance, you forgot your greatest weapon. :ajsleepy:

Twilight Sparkle. What is a mere Changeling Queen compared to a detail obsessed, near-OCD, academic main protagonist? Nothing, nothing! :pinkiecrazy:

She'll destroy her using the most obscure laws in history!

10191621
She should've taken things to court and declared Twilight as her lawyer.

That wouldn't hold water in real court but that is not real court :D

Login or register to comment