• Published 22nd Dec 2021
  • 840 Views, 57 Comments

Monster Hunter World: Monsters and Magic - Blackdrag-rose



Grogar finds himself transported to a fleet that is making the voyage to the New World, where he must adapt to his new body and face the dangers of his new world... even if it means facing the monsters of the New World.

  • ...
9
 57
 840

End of a Journey

As it turned out Grogar spent an hour in the massive nest Anzix had discovered the path to, where he found a seat and pulled out some of his materials so he could sketch out the monster that was in front of him and his companions, the large and otherworldly dragon that was unlike anything he had seen so far. Given that they were dealing with a new species of monster, and both Keiji and Anzix agreed with him since this was the first time both of them had seen something like this, but, at the same time, it presented a problem that they couldn't ignore. At first he assumed that it was about the fact that the new monster was passively eating bits and pieces of the bioenergy that was scattered throughout the New World, but as far as they could tell nothing bad was happening, meaning it was fine to leave the monster alone and observe him for some time. The true problem, as he discovered, was that they needed a name for him, a worthy name for a magnificent beast of nature, and for right now Grogar was thinking about that as he sketched out what he was seeing right now, as he wanted to share this sight with the Researchers and Scholars that were in Astera.

In the end, by the time the hour was up, he already had an idea as to what sort of name to give this new monster, but for now he decided to wait until they were back in Astera, so he could share the news with everyone else and then reveal the name with them.

"Okay, I'm done with my work." Grogar commented, where he made sure that the components that would be shared with the rest of Astera were neatly stored away, so they didn't get damaged, before walking over to where Keiji and Anzix were standing, as they decided to observe from a distance, as to not upset the sleeping dragon.

"We won't have to worry about your new friend, will we?" Keiji asked, as he didn't have Grogar's skill in speaking with the monsters of this world, or sheer strength to bring them down in battle, so it was hard for him to tell whether or not this new beast would actually stay like this or if they were dealing with a walking time bomb.

"We have no way to know for sure. We are, after all, in unfamiliar territory now." Anzix replied, as he had the same feeling that Grogar had on the matter, that there was no true way for them to know since this was, quite possibly, the first dragon of his kind, or maybe he was a unique subspecies that they were only now discovering, so there was no way for them to know if it was truly dangerous or not, "At the very least we should keep an eye on him and try to help him understand the New World, which Grogar and Ava can do just fine."

Grogar nodded as Ava caught up with them, after making sure that the blue dragon was sound asleep and didn't need to be watched over, though as they walked out he set a few spells around the entrance they had used, just in case the beast moved or trouble came looking for him. With that done he and his companions returned to the boat and headed back to the camp Anzix had set up some time ago, though he made sure to alter the environment to make it easier for them in the future, in case someone needed to come back and not fly through the ceiling. Once they reached the camp it was a simple matter for them to depart, Keiji, Anzix, and Sherry using the Barnos while Grogar and Ava flew out of the area they had been brought to, where they angled themselves towards Astera and flew home. As they did that Grogar found that all of his companions, including Sherry, were thinking about what they had discovered, due to the fact that Keiji went back and brought Sherry so she could see what they had found, as everyone was silent and allowed him to focus on what sort of reaction they would get upon their return to Astera.

Sure enough when they returned to Astera Grogar found that Commander Shepard and the others were waiting for them to return with news about their quest, to which he landed near the Canteen, finding that it was evening now and that night would be upon them soon, though as the others let their Barnos land he collected a few Researchers as he approached the table Shepard stood at.

"It seems that you've returned with news about what the others were up to." Shepard said, though as he said that it was easy for Grogar to see that everyone else, such as Cindy and Hiroko, were standing nearby as well, meaning he must have brought every important person together to wait for his return, so everyone could hear his report on whatever Anzix had found and called for him to come see it, "So, what did you find?"

"You aren't going to believe it, but we found a brand new monster... possibly even a new Elder Dragon." Grogar replied, as the blue dragon in question was far too unique to be a known beast, though as the others considered his words, and what it might mean for the New World as a whole, he pulled out the pages he had worked on and handed them over to one of the Researchers, whose eyes snapped open as he stared at his sketch, "Anzix was tracking some changes in the bioenergy of the land and it brought him to this guy, who we watched emerge from a cocoon or an egg... still not totally sure on that, but I'm betting it might be a combination of the two... and while some newborn can be aggressive to anything that might be perceived as a threat, by presenting myself without any aggression I was able to calm him down."

"Commander Shepard, look at this otherworldly beast they have discovered!" one of the Researchers said, which was the moment that he walked over to their leader and showed him the sketch that Grogar had made earlier, something that was followed by his jaw dropping as he stared at what Grogar and Anzix had discovered thanks to the latter's desire to follow the bioenergy of the New World.

"Wha... What is this monster?" Shepard asked, as he was surprised and stunned by what he was seeing, even though he knew it was a sketch of the monster in question and understood that Grogar wouldn't embellish anything when he made something like this, hence why he looked at the figure who created it as the others stopped behind him, "If it... sorry, he... if he is a new monster, and you seem pretty sure of that, than what do we call him? We'll also going to have to share this with the Guild, though they'll be surprised by a new Elder Dragon being discovered... after learning about Ava, since she was brand new to them."

"Simple: Xeno'jiiva. Epithet, 'Dark Light Dragon'." Grogar answered, something that caused many of them to pause for a moment, no doubt because they were focusing on the 'jiiva' part of the name, where Shepard glanced at the sketch for a few more seconds before glancing at Ava, who nodded her head to the unspoken question, "As you can see, his form is similar to Ava's, with some obvious changes that make them two different monsters, but also unlike anything anyone has seen before... I believe that's what the 'jiiva' part of Ava's name means, or could mean... hence why the name is based on her unique name."

"I see. Well then, I'll prepare a new report and send it to the Guild." Shepard said, as he was sure that everyone back in the Old World would be interested in this discovery, though he was totally surprised by the fact that they had found the cause of the Elder Crossing, because he could make the connection between this Xeno'jiiva and Anzix's studies into the energy of this continent, "Also, we haven't seen Nergigante in some time... she's probably looking for her brother."

Grogar nodded before noticing that people weren't immediately moving to celebrate the discovery of what was causing the Elder Crossing in the first place, where he glanced back for a moment and found a surprising sight, Discord, in all of his mismatched glory, was emerging from what looked like a tear in reality, which closed behind him.

"Wh... what in the world is that?" Ava asked, as while she had seen some interesting and unusual things since coming to the New World, allowing her to learn why all of the other Elder Dragons were flocking to this place, this single being was an oddity that seemed to rewrite the fabric of reality, with how weird the body looked.

"Discord, the Spirit of Disharmony... a being unlike any in this world." Grogar replied, where he turned his head for a few seconds and beckoned for the Draconequus to come down to where he was currently standing, who floated down to the part of Astera he was standing in, even if many were staring at him while he did so, trying to comprehend what Discord was and how many creatures went into making him, "Discord, to what do I owe the pleasure of your company?"

"Grogar, Father of Monsters, I..." Discord started to say, though that was when he found the Meowscular Chef staring his way, with his arms crossed and a serious look in his fierce eyes, before he glanced around and found a few other things he wasn't expecting to see, like how Ava had readied her claws and found a few Felynes at the ready, while the rest of Astera stood at the ready, "I come in peace, humans. No need to look at me like I'm going to destroy the world or something."

Shepard glanced at Grogar for a second, as he wanted to see what their best Hunter had to say, who simply nodded and he motioned to the others, causing Astera to stand down as he ordered a celebration to be held for solving the greatest mystery of their time, while he got to work preparing the report.

"You must have had experience with the residents of another world, given your reaction." Grogar remarked, because he had noticed how Discord had reacted to everyone readying themselves for a potential fight, meaning something must have happened during the time he had been gone, even though he had no desire to return to Equus, though he might go back to speak with Princesses Celestia and Luna, "Come, let us talk in private."

Discord tilted his head for a moment as Grogar unfurled his wings, something he knew the figure didn't have before he was displaced to this world, but followed him up to the area that he wanted to talk in, all while noticing that the lady with claws glared at him for a moment before returning to normal and helping with the preparations, before they landed right in front of a large building.

"Before you ask, my power was boosted by being displaced and, by fighting a beast called Zorah Magdaros I was able to unlock an even greater power, mimicking the power and forms of my enemies," Grogar explained, knowing the question that Discord was going to ask first, given the use of his wings and anything else he might have noticed before revealing his existence to them, even though he knew there were more he wanted to ask before trying to convince him to head back to his old home, "I have some rather interesting powers now, but I have a feeling that there is something important you want to talk about, instead of listening to me talk about my brand new skills."

"You are one of the Displaced, capable of unlocking great power, so I'm not surprised by this discovery," Discord replied, where the only fact that caught Grogar off guard was that he was speaking without making jokes or anything like his usual chaotic self, meaning something important had to be going on, something that bothered him as well, "our world sent you, and many others, out into the vastness of our universe to gain both powers and allies, so that when the time came those who were lost could be brought back in time to save Equus from an invasion of demons. My role is to track down all of the Displaced and convince them to return home, even if its only for a short period of time, so they can better understand this event and be prepared for our incoming enemies, even though many of you have chosen to stay in your new worlds..."

"And, unfortunately, I'm going to agree with them. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to head back and see what's going on with my old home world, but I am the Father of Monsters, a negative title mind you," Grogar said, because he knew that those who knew his name understood that he was a dark being and wanted to steer clear of him at all costs, and he suspected that some would even want him to be sealed back in his dark realm for the rest of his life, "other than the Princesses, I have no reason to return to Equus... though I'll likely come back when these demons show up and hunt them, especially given the powers I've awakened so far."

"So, you've really become one of these 'Hunters', as they call people like you." Discord commented, where he glanced at the ground for a moment and found the Commander seemed to have finished his report, to which he snapped his fingers for a second and opened a portal for him to send the messenger through, which he did so without delay when Grogar nodded his head, though he sealed it for a time so they could keep talking, "I'll open it again once the reply is ready, if they have one anyway. Anyway, most of the Princesses have gone missing, as Celestia seems to be in world where people have all sorts of powers some so go to school to become heroes, Luna is in a world that angels and demons fight over, Cadance is still in the Crystal Empire, and Twilight seems to be in a world full of fighting."

"So, the number of Princesses has changed... can't say I'm surprised." Grogar remarked, though as he said that he found that all of Astera was now buzzing with excitement as people got ready to celebrate the end of their mission, because they now knew the reason behind the Elder Crossing, in its entirety, and soon the Guild would know as well, giving him a couple of things to look at as he processed Discord's information, "Also, I don't go out and just kill everything and anything that has a quest for it, rather I go out and fight the monsters of this world to try and calm them down, or convince them to stop doing whatever they might be doing at the time... we learn more with the monsters alive, instead of guessing or grasping at straws. Also, it seems you were followed."

Discord glanced at the area that Grogar was staring at, up in the air, and found a person wearing a black robe that hid all of their body features, where it was incredibly easy for Grogar to see that the Spirit knew who this was, more in the sense that they had crossed paths a few times in the past, who realized he had been spotted and departed by using a portal that was made of darkness.

"I don't know who that is, but he's also interested in the Displaced." Discord said, as there was no other way to describe it to Grogar, especially since he hadn't gotten any information out of the figure since he teleported away without giving him a chance to speak with him, before he shrugged for a moment as he focused on Astera once more, "I'll stick around for a while, see what your friends are like, before bothering to track down the next member of the Displaced... it takes a lot to find and track you guys down."

Grogar nodded his head and headed down to the council table as Shepard called for everyone to stop for a moment, not because the report had returned, rather because he had something he wanted to say before they did anything else, given that many were excited and wanted to celebrate.

"Everyone, thanks to your hard and diligent work, we have completed the Research Commission's purpose in the New World and the Guild will relieve us once they go over my latest report," Shepard said, which was common for this world, as in it would take some time for the Guild to determine how to react to the information that had been provided, but if they were smart they would ask that they stay and continue to preserve the New World, "I must commend all of you, even our unlikely allies, for your hard work in making all of this possible. With that said, there's one last thing to say..."

"To banquet!" Keiji stated, raising a fist into the air as he declared it was officially time for them to celebrate their victory in figuring out the entirety of the Elder Crossing, and his words had the effect he was hoping they would have, as everyone cheered and started to move so things could be set up.

Grogar watched as everyone quickly set up all sorts of games and tables so they could enjoy some food, while passing the time with games and drink, causing him to chuckle as he found that Discord was surprised by the sheer speed they were moving with. As that happened, and he found both Sherry and Ava getting ready for some of Meowscular Chef's food, that an unexpected arrival appeared nearby, Nergigante had returned and Grogar found out that she might have found a trail her brother left behind, though she wasn't totally sure yet. He informed her of what she had missed, about his battles with the other Elder Dragons and the discovery of Xeno'jiiva, the latter surprising the black dragon for a moment, even though she guessed that was why her family was protecting this continent for all these years, to allow the beast to grow without being taken out by something like Zorah Madgaros. Other than that there wasn't much else for him to say, not when they were caught up now, though at the very least someone brought her something to munch on before she either rested or headed out to continue her search for her brother.

As the next hour went by Grogar found that he was back up in the Canteen, where Sherry, Ava, and Patches were hanging with Cindy, Shepard was sitting with the other Fleet Masters as they celebrated their success in figuring out the mystery that had brought them here, before Anzix approached the table he was sitting at.

"You have quite the eccentric group here," Anzix commented, which reminded Grogar of the fact that this was possibly the first time he had been back to Astera in years, meaning most of the people he knew were likely gone, though he smiled as he glanced around the area, taking in all of the new faces, before focusing on him again, "all of them talented, unique, driven... I'm sure that there is no challenge you cannot overcome, especially given your powers. Still, a monster that has been incubating in bioenergy... I had theories on what the cause of the Elder Crossing was, but never did I think it would be something like this."

"It was a surprise, that's for sure, but Xeno'jiiva will provide us with all sorts of fascinating information," Grogar said, as he stood behind his decision to keep the beast alive, since it seemed to be the only one of its kind, all while Anzix pulled out a crystal he must have collected from the nest they had discovered, the pure sample anyway, "We may have figured out the cause of the Elder Crossing, but it only opens more questions for us to figure out."

"Perhaps Xeno'jiiva was drawing the aging Elder Dragons here, to satisfy his craving for bioenergy." Anzix offered, though he didn't phrase it as a question, rather as an observation from what he had seen during his travels across the regions of the New World, to which he offered the crystal to Grogar, but as he took it he found that the strange being, Discord, had opened the small hole in reality so the response to Shepard's message could come through.

"Could be right. Maybe he used some sort of pheromone or something to draw the Elders in?" Keiji inquired, who walked up to the table and stood near them, though he had one of the mugs in his hand and showed them that he was enjoying the celebration, all while they considered the information they were talking about, "Eventually, the land became rich in nutrients, drawing in powerful monsters, like Nergigante, and us... I'm guessing the energy smorgasbord is why most of the Elders inhabit the Recess."

"But the question remains: did something lay the egg and leave Xeno'jiiva behind, or is this a natural occurrence that we're only now discovering?" Grogar added, as those were his thoughts on the matter right now, though he was positive that the latter was correct, given that this was the first time anyone had seen something like Xeno'jiiva, but even then he knew that there had to be more to this than what they had discovered so far, "Either way, leaving him back there was the right call, as we can study him in his natural habitat and see what sort of effect he'll have on the continent... if any at all... and what to expect in the future."

Keiji and Anzix glanced at each other, one agreeing with him and one thinking that they should have killed Xeno'jiiva once he revealed himself to them, though Grogar could see who thought what, but before anyone could say anything else they found Shepard calling for everyone to come listen to what the Guild sent them.

"Everyone, we have received word from the Guild, thanks to Grogar's friend," Shepard said, causing some excitement to spread throughout the crowd of people that was gathering around the area near his council table, where he raised the parchment that had been brought back, even though he was surprised by Discord's powers, "This is what they have to say about our discoveries: 'The Guild commends you for your dedicated research into the Elder Crossing. In light of your findings, we have confirmed that the monster you have discovered is, in fact, a new species of Elder Dragon and we agree with the proposed name and epithet that have been provided. From this day forth this brand new species will be known as Xeno'jiiva, the Dark Light Dragon, and Grogar shall be credited for naming the monster. This concludes your duties with the Research Commission, and we thank you again for your service in solving the Elder Crossing. You are free to return home at your discretion... however, the Commission's presence in the New World still has potential to be of great benefit to the Guild, and we would ask you to continue your work there, if you are so willing.' There you have it... if we decide to stay, and take on new research, there are bound to be hurdles..."

"And we will face whatever those hurdles might be. Right, everyone?" Grogar remarked, where he glanced back at the rest of the Commission and found that they were cheering, showing their support for what he was saying, especially since the vast majority of them were used to living on this continent.

"Well then, enjoy the celebration while you can, because tomorrow we'll get back to work!" Shepard stated, showing them that he was perfectly fine with their decision, in fact he knew Grogar would continue on, regardless of whatever the Guild had to say on the matter, and his fire had fueled the desire in the others as well.

While that was going on, and everyone resumed their celebration, Grogar glanced up at the sky for a moment and found that Discord was leaving him to his business, causing him to chuckle as he focused on whatever adventures the upcoming days would have for him and his companions.

Comments ( 7 )

another one finished, i think...unless u also go to MH Rise...

11198297 Don't forget about the Iceborne expansion. That's always an option.

11198308
i thought thats what we just got through actually...

11198311 Oh no, we just finished the main game, which covers arriving in the New World, tracking down Zorah Magdaros, and ending with the clash with Xeno'jiiva. After the main game ended there were a few collaboration events, two new monsters got added (Deviljho and Kulve Taroth), and eventually Iceborne, a whole expansion, added.

11198311 However, I am currently debating between continuing with Iceborne or just ending the story.

11198352
well, unless u plan to continue the romantic intentions of a certain Dragon, i dont see a great deal to be done that has not already been done

11198355 Save for Iceborne (which sends you against a number of Elder Dragons, including the unknown Shara Ishvalda), and eventually facing Fatalis, there's not a whole not left... besides, with no real feedback, and many of the major events being ignored, I might just end it now.

Login or register to comment