• Published 22nd Aug 2012
  • 11,610 Views, 570 Comments

Against the night - Senorita-De-La-Nieve



When Luna takes a personal day at Twilight's library, it becomes clear she has feelings for the uni

  • ...
27
 570
 11,610

Chapter Six

Equilibrium. Balance. Stability. Call it what you will, it can be found everywhere. From the harmony between Night and Day, to the way a pony walks. But, every so often, there is a gap in the balance, much like a Lucid Dream, or the place between Day and Night, the invisible line that marks the transition, there, in these places, no such harmony exists, it is just nothing. No light nor dark, not reality nor a dream. It is conflict. This conflict was happening in the sky right now, the stars winked out and the sunlight claimed the land, and this conflict was reflected in the eyes of a Princess who was trapped in a Lucid Dream.

Her and Twilight, back in the clearing, but not the clearing, in the night, but it was bright as day. Meteors fell all around them, there were no trees though, just them, and the sky, and the ground. All was silent, yet the silence felt too loud. She felt content just sitting there, leaning on Twilight yet she also wanted nothing more than to turn and kiss her. The whole dream was a paradox to her.

She sighed and rolled over, breaking the trance-like dream state and returning to reality.

Reality. She didn't want it. Feelings she thought sequestered and contained bubbled to the surface for the first time in years. Memories she didn't want to see ever again found their way to the front of her mind, playing across her eyelids as she tried to get back to some semblance of seep. Her mother, her father, her 'destiny'. More like her dictated future.

She was nearly face to face with Twilight, in their respective sleeping bags Rarity had provided. A smile was plastered on her face and she giggled in her sleep, a strand of her lavender mane falling over her face in an unruly fashion. It made Luna smile widely and nearly fall back to sleep.

But then she noticed the sun peeking over the horizon and sighed, closing her eyes and gently wrapping a thread of magic around the moon, pulling it towards the horizon. She felt it shift and move before she opened her eyes and let it continue at its own pace.

They were still in the clearing, as Pinkie Pie had been content to cancel her party at Sugarcube Corner and instead hold, as Rarity called it, a 'Light Soiree' in the clearing as she didn't want to miss what she had called it; 'a super fundiful shower'

Luna giggled as the magical blue fire still flickered nervously. Luna admired it, and admired how the sleeping form of Twilight was able to sustain the spell even now. The fire flickered and changed shape, and Luna smiled. It must be affected by her dreams, and right now, it had formed the same pony from the night before, but this time, it had more detail, an elongated snout, stunning blue eyes surrounded by white flames, and a mane that sparkled as if filled with a million stars. Luna yawned and sat up. She felt as though she should know this pony, but then the sudden realization that Twilight was DREAMING about this pony made her gasp in surprise.

In her experience, ponies only dreamt of other ponies, and wore that kind of expression in a dream when they, well, coveted said pony. Maybe Twilight had a crush on the pony who now sparkled in the fire. Her excitement was offset only by her jealousy. She sighed and sat down on the grass, watching the fire morph into tiny ribbons of light and dance around the clearing, weaving intricate patterns around each other and joining together much like they had before, except this time the magic disappeared and sparked out into nothing.

Luna turned to see Twilight wide awake and staring at her, she looked afraid, like someone had found out a secret they weren't meant to find out.


Twilight's dream was simple, yet to her, it was the best thing she had ever experienced, it was just her and Luna talking, sometimes she would laugh and toss her head, her mane flicking over her shoulder only to fly back to its original position, riding on the unseen wind.

Twilight would smile, they would talk, until she was aware of a dull throbbing in the back of her skull, and a light coming through her eyes. She opened them to face the fire pit from the night before. The fire still burned, brighter than before, but it had taken the shape of the mare from her dreams almost perfectly, and there, watching it, was the mare herself.

Twilight focused on the magical fire and pulled it apart strand by strand, until nothing remained of the magical blue fire. Luna turned around and saw her, then smiled.


"I may have forgotten to mention" she whispered with only a slight hint of coyness in her voice "that when asleep, the fire takes the shape of our dreams" she continued, stepping closer to her and sitting beside her.

Twilight kept her eyes forward, waiting for the inevitable. To Twilight, this wasn't like her dreams, this was her nightmare.

"What did you see?" Twilight asked her, and Luna turned her eyes towards the fire pit in the center, still smiling.

"I saw a pony, vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place their face" she said, and Twilight turned to her, hope flaring in her eyes, and also disappointment. Luna nodded and turned to her, the smile turning fake.

"You couldn't place it?" she asked, and Luna shook her head.

"I'll admit, the eyes and mane were very similar to that of your friend, Rainbow Dash, but, I thought the mane too, uh, 'graceful' for that, so I thought of Rarity instead. Any of those hold a hint of truth?" she asked, batting her eyelids, and Twilight giggled.

"Hm, no, Princess, Rainbow is cool, but, she's not my type, and Rarity, well, I hear Pinkie is smitten with her, and I've never thought of her like that" she admitted truthfully.

Then, Twilight grew adventurous. Where was the harm in a few soft hints? She could get some of her feelings off of her chest and in turn, keep the Princess in the dark.

"But, this pony, well, she is graceful, incredibly beautiful, and, well, she's one of the kindest, most talented ponies I know" Twilight said wistfully, gazing into Luna's eyes. Luna smirked at her and prodded her playfully in the shoulder.

"Aww, Twilight, you've got it bad" she quipped, and Twilight blushed and prodded her back.

"I do not, those were just casual observations, Princess" she retorted, and Luna laughed loudly.

"Oh-ho! Yeah, and the blush is just the heat of the sun getting to you, right?" she quipped, jabbing at her side jokingly, Twilight tensed, covering her side protectively with her hoof.

"Well, I, I..." she gave up and sighed, and Luna stopped laughing almost immediately. Clearly this was making Twilight upset, and she had probably done more harm than good by laughing like that. Luna put what she believed to be a comforting hoof around her friend's shoulder, but unbeknownst to her it made Twilight's heart race. Being in such close proximity with the mare she just described wasn't good for her state of mind.

"Listen, Twilight. If you like her, then, just tell her. The worst that happens is that she rejects you, and then, you'll always have her friendship" she said, and Twilight looked up at her.

"But we barely even know each other, we've spoken, but, we haven't really talked if you know what I mean" she said, and Luna nodded.

"You don't know how she feels, if she has secrets or anything, am I right?" Luna gently asked, and Twilight nodded.

"I want to get to know her, but she never seems to have time to really talk in detail about herself, even though I've indirectly asked her to. And then there's the fact that we're both mares, what if she calls me a freak?" she asked, trying to hold back tears. Luna shifted in her seat and drew herself closer to Twilight, wiping away a tear with her hoof, causing Twilight to look up into a pair of compassionate, Sapphire eyes.

"Well, I see two options here, either you can just stay the way you are, and be hurt for sure, or you could get to know her for a while, see if you still feel the same, then tell her. From what I've seen nowadays, admitting one's feelings to another, regardless of gender, is something done everywhere. Trust me, she won't think any less of you if, and when, you do" she said with a smile, and Twilight looked at her with her large, lavender eyes.

"Promise?" She asked, and Luna smiled, then it faded as the gears of thought turned and clicked. Her eyes widened and she looked back at the unicorn who was twitching in fear. She was about to say something when a voice called out to them from across the clearing.

"Well hello there darlings, how long have you two been up?" Rarity said as she squirmed out of her sleeping bag, pushing off the dirt from her sleeping bag, and her coat, even though there seemed to be none. Rarity looked at the pair and smiled inwardly. She was right.

Twilight and Luna shared a look, but did not separate.

"We've only been up ten minutes or so" Luna said, and Rarity's eyes widened.

"Twilight, you really should have gotten more sleep, you did stay up all night the other night organizing this, and you had that fire spell going last night" she admonished, and Twilight blushed again, rubbing her neck.

"If you don't stop then you'll get bags under your eyes. Oh! Which reminds me! I need to talk to you about something important, and it simply cannot wait. Come with me dear" she said, and before Twilight could protest, her fetlock was seized in a magical blue aura and she felt herself pulled along beside Rarity. Luna giggled and waved her goodbye, shaking her head at Twilight's silent pleas for help.


Twilight and Rarity turned around a group of trees, and Rarity turned to her smiling widely like her cat when it's caused somepony grief.

"So, I heard you talking to the Princess just now" she broke the ice with, gauging Twilight's reaction as she stood there. Twilight blushed a hot red and averted her eyes.

"Oh, do you know who it was about?" She asked her, and Rarity smiled wider, giving a nod.

"I saw it last night darling, when you and her were so close by the fire. I'm not sure if she feels the same way, but, if what her reaction to what you said this morning was anything to go by, she knows now" she said gently, and Twilight's head shot up, her pupils dilating to pinpricks.

"No! Nononononono! She can't! Oh Celestia!" Twilight began to panic, until Rarity lay a soothing hoof on her shoulder.

"Shh, Twilight, calm down, just, calm down, isn't it better that she knows? Maybe she'll feel the same way" Rarity said, and Twilight sighed, dejectedly.

"She can't. It would never work. She's a Princess, and I'm just a unicorn" Twilight said, and Rarity sighed at her, stepping closer and hugging her.

"Twilight Sparkle, you are more than just an ordinary Unicorn. You're the most powerful Unicorn in Equestria. And if you're flustered by Love, well..." she began, and was cut off by her own thoughts silencing her. Twilight looked up at the compliment.

"I just... I don't know what to do Rarity, I want to tell her, so badly, but I can't" She admitted, and Rarity drew away, eyeing her with a raised eyebrow.

"My dear why ever not?" she asked, and Twilight looked at her.

"I'm scared if she says no, and never wants to talk to me again" she admitted, and Rarity laughed, which made Twilight confused.

"Oh Twilight, did she not say she didn't think it weird? In fact, I remember it, as I was there. It's not a big deal, so you're in love with a Princess, who just happens to be one of the most powerful ponies in Equestria... Actually maybe it is rather a big deal..." she trailed off and Twilight's ears drooped.

"Rarity, you're not helping here" she said and Rarity laughed awkwardly.

"Well, from what I know of Love, this is what they call Unrequited Love, you love her, but she doesn't know it, and you don't know if she loves you back. Usually one will confess, and if all goes well, they kiss in a moonlit scene that is all terribly cliché" she said, waving her hoof at the last word and flipping her mane. Twilight listened as a question formed in her mind.

"And if it goes wrong?" she asked, and Rarity looked at her and smiled.

"Well then there's a period of awkwardness for a few days, but they eventually become friends again. Don't worry. You'll be fine. Now let's go and wake up the others" she said as she walked away, leaving Twilight feeling a little bit better. She followed Rarity back to the camp and smiled when she saw Luna apparently engaged in conversation with the others who had apparently already woken up.


Luna watched Twilight leave and shook her head, still smiling as she turned back to the fire pit and sighed. He smile slowly wavered to a mere grin as she thought about Twilight's words. Someone talented, kind, graceful, and beautiful. Well, if Twilight was talking about who she thought she was talking about, she certainly didn't view her as graceful, or beautiful, and certainly not talented. And even kind was pushing it.

She sighed. Of course Twilight wasn't talking about her, that would just be wishful thinking, and besides, Twilight knew she was a Princess, she knew that Luna would live forever. She couldn't do that to Twilight.

She never wanted to be a princess. She just wanted a normal life. To be a normal filly that grew into a normal mare, found a normal husband and settled down. Now, she was a Princess, who would never age, never settle down, and was falling for a mare she knew only through letters and one casual visit.

She sighed again and kicked a stone into the ashes, watching it kick up a small cloud.

Just then, a small thought kicked up in the back of her mind; However long you have, it would be worth it.

She smiled at it then looked towards the woodlands. Maybe she should tell Twilight, or wait for her to admit in on her own. She knew Twilight would no doubt come up with a meticulous plan to follow through with, and see to it everything is perfect before she admitted it.

"Well howdy there Princess" a voice said, breaking her out of her train of thought. She looked up, startled, and Applejack let out a laugh.

"Well, that must've been some thought process ya had there Princess" she quipped, and Luna smiled.

"It was. And please, I would prefer if you called me Luna" she said, and Applejack nodded.

"So, what were you thinkin' 'bout?" she asked, and Luna shrugged, looking towards where Twilight and Rarity had disappeared into the bushes.

"Twilight" she said without thinking, and Applejack made a sound of realization. She looked between the trees and her.

"What about her?" she asked, although she already knew.

"Well, I think I love her. And I think she loves me too. I just don't know how to tell her" she said, and Applejack nodded. Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash had begun to rouse from their sleeps.

"Well, before e'erypony else comes to, Ah think y'all should jus' let her tell you in her own time" she said, and Luna nodded.


"I was going to wait for her to do it first. No doubt she'll have some plan or other that she'll see through to the letter" Luna said with a smile, and Applejack laughed slightly.

"She's always been... methodical in anythin' she does" she said, and Luna laughed with her as the others woke up fully.

"What are we laughing about? Was it a joke? Oh! Was it the one about the cooky old grandpa and his saddlebags?" Pinkie said enthusiastically, leaping out of her sleeping bag and bouncing on the spot, her mane poofing to her signature style as she seemingly drew energy from nowhere. Pinkie's energy only made Luna and Applejack laugh harder as Twilight and Rarity came back to join them.

Twilight and Luna shared a look, time seemed to stop, both lost themselves in the others eyes. Now that they had accepted their own feelings, it left them with blushes kissing their cheeks. Luna still didn't know why Twilight chose her, but she was happy that she had. Twilight sat down on the log next to her.