• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 24,563 Views, 982 Comments

The White Rider - Ascension Call



Crossover with LotR: Gandalf comes to Equestria to visit the Princesses. Hilarity ensues.

  • ...
46
 982
 24,563

Chapter 3: At the Crossroads

It had been little more than an hour since Fluttershy had risen from her bed with the remnants of a majestic dream-borne birdsong upon her ears, and so urgent was the gentle mare's desire to remake the tune that she had opted to forego her morning meal and instead burst out of her home to meet the assembly of birds that awaited her within their small houses above. The golden rays of sun that warmed her coat and chased away what was left of the previous night's chill had been rejuvenating, and though sleep had not entirely left her she had then eagerly and patiently directed the voices of her flying friends until the notes they produced started to resemble those which echoed within her mind; she had expected to spend the entirety of the morning doing just that, and so the completely unforeseen appearance of the unicorn in white had given the young mare's rested heart quite a jump.

But given her kind disposition she of course did not mind very much, though she was no longer sure of her earlier impression of him, which was that he was no more than a befuddled old stallion that by some chance had wandered away from Ponyville Retirement Village. Although Gandalf with his long silver beard and mane looked to be about the same age as Granny Smith Fluttershy thought she felt a sense of wisdom and magnificence about him; it was a small inkling, like the tiniest draft of fresh winter air dancing across the neck, and the brilliance of his strange wonderful robes and elegant staff only fueled her new perception of him being something much more than a simple pony. His voice was deep yet calm and peaceful like the sound of distant thunder in the wake of a fleeting storm, and though she was still puzzled by him and some things about him she found herself now oddly at ease. However, she was not sure at the moment how to tell him 'of Ponyville' given the vague wording of his question.

"Of Ponyville?" she blinked as she repeated, narrowing her brow in confusion and hoping for some sort of clarification.

"Why, yes." Gandalf replied as he smiled beneath his long white beard, and then he thankfully went on to elaborate upon his request. "If it wouldn't trouble you I would simply like to know a little more about it. Would you happen to know for instance how many ponies live there? Or more importantly how I may find my way there? Forgive me, for as I said years have passed since I departed this place, and having just returned I have yet to see the town for myself."

Now Fluttershy understood and gave a quiet "Oh, um..." but so burdened was she by the weight of all her own questions that she still she found herself at a loss for words, and feeling abashed by her hesitation she shifted her eyes from Gandalf's bright form and to the azure brook quietly flowing at their side. She quickly decided she would simply oblige him now and worry later about possibly troubling him with her own curiosities, for he had been very pleasant in his manners and she could see no ill will about him either, and as with her nature she now found herself sort of eager to provide help in any way she could.

"Well, um... Mister Gandalf, to answer your first question, all sorts of ponies live in Ponyville. We have many unicorns like yourself, and pegasi like me and earth ponies too. I think Ponyville was founded by earth ponies, actually. Um..." she trailed off as she decided what else she could share.

Gandalf asked: "And how long ago was this founding? Many years ago, I would think?"

"Oh, yes. My friend Applejack's granny was one of the first ponies there, and she was only a little filly then. Now she's- Well, she's a happy old mare with a big family now." She hoped her expression did not betray her relief; very nearly had she rudely proclaimed her comparison between Granny Smith's age to that of Gandalf's.

"I see! And I don't suppose that very path would lead me over there to Ponyville?" Gandalf said, and with his staff he gestured towards the trail that arced over the old oak stream-bridge and led down a steep slope past some trees and then stretched on over a farther tall hill that Fluttershy knew hid Ponyville.

"That's right. Just follow that short road and you'll get to Ponyville. It's a pretty big town, so I don't think you'll be able to miss it."

"Hm!" Gandalf grunted as he nodded approvingly, visibly pleased by her directions, and Fluttershy in turn was gladdened that he was. There was bright gratitude in his eyes as he said: "Then I think that I shall go there soon. Friend, I thank you greatly for your help!"

"Oh, no problem at all, mister! Um, is there anything else I can help you with?"

"I think so. Yes, I have just another thing to ask. By any chance, do you know of the Princesses? Celestia and Luna?" His voice had become a bit softer and a small note of what sounded to Fluttershy like hope had crept into his voice, as if he were wishing for a particular answer.

Fluttershy could not help but blink confusedly again. "Well, of course. Everypony knows Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. They rule Equestria from Canterlot, and-"

"Canterlot?" He interjected, and Fluttershy followed his eyes to the gleaming white city with the purple spires and long graceful waterfalls that glimmered distantly in the morning light.

"Um... Yes. That would be Canterlot." She said, more matter-of-factly then she had hoped to sound. But she had long been beneath the impression that the Princesses were familiar enough to everypony that Canterlot, that renowned majestic city that regularly received visitors from all over Equestria and all over the world, would be commonly enough known. "You could get there from Ponyville. All you have to do is find the train station and get yourself on board. "

Here there was an inquisitive spark in the unicorn's eyes and he said: "Well, I confess that I do not know what a train station is. I suppose that it is a means of transport?" And Fluttershy now wondered above everything else where had he been for so long that there was no knowledge of Canterlot or trains.

"Yes, the train is. It's... a very long and loud machine with wheels, I guess you could call it? And it runs on a steel... path, called train tracks. So look for a building right next to the train track, and if you get lost just ask somepony! They'll help you, I'm sure."

"Understood. Well, a long loud wheeled machine! Fascinating!" the unicorn said grinning excitedly, and it almost seemed to Fluttershy as if the daylight itself that danced off his brilliant white robe had grown brighter with his mood. "But I must also ask about the Princesses. Have Celestia and Luna been well? Has their rule been fair? Has any trouble befallen them or this land?"

"Um... If you're asking about their health, yes, I think they've been doing very well. Oh, and everypony loves them! The Princesses have done a wonderful job of running Equestria. They're the best rulers we've ever had! Though they're also the only ones we've ever had... um," she trailed off as she was reminded of his earlier declaration, that he had arrived from some unknown place far off to visit "two of his oldest and dearest friends" here in Equestria, and she guessed then that perhaps Princesses Celestia and Luna had been the two friends he had spoken of. As the light of realization entered her eyes at last she could not contain her interest in the matter.

"Wait, were you... Are your old friends... um, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna?" she said in a voice shaded with both wonder and some doubt.

Gandalf's bright grin then vanished. Suddenly he wore now a great warm smile and he chuckled, deep and hearty. "Quite so, and for far too long have I owed the rascals the honor of a simple visit."

Fluttershy stared. At this point she was fearful that her inquiries would go unanswered, for so many now buzzed about her mind that poor Fluttershy did not know even where to begin asking, or how much she could ask without being too intrusive. Would she begin by asking first from what far-away place Gandalf had returned? Or when (she supposed it would have to have been very long ago given all he had said) had he first met the Princesses and beneath what circumstances? Or would she simply hope that by his own volition he would reveal more about himself soon? But alas the intriguing unicorn did not seem to notice the mask of complete bafflement which was now donned by Fluttershy.

"Therefore I've not a minute to waste," he declared. "Close as I am now I must hurry on to Canterlot; I should hope that those two still remember me, or this long walk of mine would have been for naught!" he went on as he laughed. His speech had become a hint more rapid in his exhilaration. "Many thanks again, and many apologies for disrupting your morning! There is still very much I wish to ask you, but I do think I have troubled you for long enough. Farewell, Fluttershy! I hope we meet each other again," he said as he bowed low, and when he rose his dark eyes beneath thick snowy brows were alight with appreciation and joy.

"Oh, any time, mister," She replied in a small voice; she found herself too reluctant to utter anything else, and to her dismay then the old unicorn turned and set off over the small stream-bridge and the path towards Ponyville, the glow of his pale robes in the bright light of Princess Celestia's sun that had first stung her eyes growing more and more distant as he went over the bridge and onwards. She sighed heavily. So gladly would she have answered any of his other questions in return for keys to the riddle that was his origins! Yet much to her current regret an irrational fear of offending the unicorn had kept her silent.

Fluttershy then glanced upwards. The assemblage of birdhouses that swayed above in the soft morning breeze had long since been abandoned by her feathered friends out of boredom. They would return later, she knew, for food and shelter. Then a soft tugging at her mane drew her attention to the ground; Angel Bunny stared pleadingly at her with one paw grasping tightly at her hairs and the other cradling his stomach.

"Is something wrong, Angel Bunny?" she asked. He stared at her with mouth agape as if appalled by the very fact that she had asked him that and with a look of vexation he produced his pocket watch and thrust it right before Fluttershy's puzzled face. Then she saw that a quarter of an hour after 10 o' clock was displayed upon the timepiece. It dawned upon her then that he had been attempting to attract her notice for a good while now, but the meeting had caused her to overlook completely his presence; and with that the poor rabbit's breakfast time. The desperation in his eyes demonstrated that he was very much famished.

"Oh my goodness! Oh, I'm sorry Angel!" she squealed, and to her horror her Angel only crossed his tiny arms and pouted in reply. She hurried up the tiny hill upon which her cottage sat and threw open the thick red oak door, and went into the pantry to rummage frantically through all the cupboards and shelves and pots for carrots or lettuce or apples to make him his favorite morning salad which she had promised to him the day before; here and there and everywhere she scoured, but alas amid all the other greens and fruits in her stores Fluttershy found no trace of any coveted materials. She then heard a rapping on wood behind her, and she looked behind to see Angel leaning within the pantry doorway and impatiently tapping at it with his right heel, his beady eyes burning at her with fiery reproach.

"Um... grapes?" she offered, sheepishly smiling as she grasped a trio of the ripe purple fruits within her hoof and presented it to the fluffy fellow and frowning when he turned his small pink nose up at it. It seemed he would not settle for anything less than a combination of carrots and lettuce and apples; yet Fluttershy who now realized it had been quite some time since her last visit to Ponyville's markets for groceries was not able to deliver even that simple salad. Defeated and very near panicked tears she sat on her haunches before Angel and looked pleadingly at him with gentle cyan eyes awash with guilt.

"Oh Angel... I don't have the things I need to make your salad," she lamented with a sinking guilt-burdened heart, and though capable she was of employing her Stare or simple insistence until Angel settled for a lesser but no less nutritious breakfast, she was not about to let her promise remain unfulfilled. "Ok, you stay right here, Angel Bunny! I'll go get the things I need. Be right back!" she declared, and then she galloped past the morose Angel and out her cottage door, grabbing her pack and throwing it on as she went. The little white bunny (who at this time was feeling more than a little remorseful for distressing his good friend to such an extent) watched as she went on swiftly over the stream and then to the road to Ponyville, and up on the road there was a white dot that glimmered faintly like a star upon the land.

Meanwhile Gandalf had made good headway upon the path of packed dirt, and a song was in his heart as he walked; no tune from any piece in particular but merely a jolly hum. All around him and in the reaches of his sight were the emerald knolls that he had borne witness to from atop his perch in that high tower at the old castle, and steadily was he approaching what he knew now was the Sisters' new seat. With each and every step of his hooves Gandalf could see more and then more of the city Canterlot; from far away he had already spotted the ivory towers that at this closeness were nearly blinding with light, but he now could see the exquisite spirals patterned upon the gold and purple caps donned by the spires; some of those tops he saw were crowned with grand stars of gold, and the long falls that flowed downwards from the city to meet the earth below he thought glittered like vast pillars of innumerable sapphires. Like before the image of Minas Tirith entered his mind, and he wondered then if during Canterlot's conception long ago exceptional masons had simply laid marble brick upon marble brick for many days and carved into the side of that old stone titan that dwarfed all the other mountains about as Men of Gondor had done for the City of Kings in that world so far away, or if powerful spells had been cast also by powerful ponies to aid in the construction; it was to his doubt that Celestia and Luna (or at least Celestia) would idly sit by and nap in the shade as others built them their new abode, and so it was his guess that Canterlot's walls were spell-formed as much as they had been stone-formed.

But as he went about in his musings he did not forget that he had still quite a ways to travel; the view he had of the city now was still no more than a massive portrait on a canvas of light blue, framed at the sides by the grove of trees split through the middle by the road that he approached now.

Then he heard a sound from somewhere behind him; the steady thump-thump-thump-thump! of hooves making haste upon bare earth. Glancing behind he saw to his surprise Fluttershy, whose strands of pink mane were scattered about and swiping at the air as she hurried in his direction with tremendous speed. He stopped in his tracks and cautiously he directed his sight behind her in search of any danger, but he saw nothing aside from the part of road he had walked and some trees, and the humble cottage behind them. Closer she now came, but when they entered the range of his ears Gandalf heard her breaths and knew they were in very finite numbers. Then some yards away her hooves grew still and the force of her run carried her just a little longer on the trail, and plumes of dust rose behind her as she came to halt. She sat then upon her haunches where she stopped with her shoulders rising and falling with each rapid desperate breath and her face angled towards the ground.

Concerned, Gandalf treaded over, calling "Hello again!" as he came to a stop before her. In response her head turned upwards as she panted, and through her veritably disarrayed mane one eye peeked at him through a gap in the strands, and layered over the green-blue was much worry.

"What is the matter, Fluttershy?" asked Gandalf.

"Need to... go buy... carrots... lettuce... apples!" she gasped out between deep huffs and she then began to cough, and Gandalf guessed that this delicate creature was not so accustomed to running at such a speed.

"I... beg your pardon?" he asked after considering her words for a moment and gleaning no particular meaning from them. By now she was in a better state and her chest heaved no longer at such a pace as before, and she rose to her hooves.

"I need to go buy carrots and lettuce and apples, to make some breakfast," she explained, her talking rushed from breathlessness. "I promised my friend Angel Bunny that I would make him salad this morning, and I'm no liar, so I need to hurry to the market, and then hurry back home."

"Ah, how good of you! A promise is indeed a promise," Gandalf said beaming with approval at Fluttershy, who in turn gave a small smile of appreciation. "I do believe then that I've gained a traveling companion here?" he guessed.

"Mhm! You have, mister," Fluttershy said as she went to his side. "Let's go! It's not too far now."

"I am glad to hear it!" Gandalf said, and then they set off. They went up the hill-road that broke the ring of trees, and once they reached the top Gandalf saw yet another taller hill sitting there a bit farther, and now many earthen bouquets of flowers white and blue and red and pale yellow dotted the grassy edges of the road and all over the curving field, and many snow-capped short mountains stood in the distance beyond where the grassland spread too far up to see where it ended. As they came down from the hill covered by the shadow of a tree-top Gandalf heard a low grumbling noise that he recognized to be complaint of an empty stomach. He looked to the left of him and to his amusement saw Fluttershy with widened shocked eyes, and a hoof on her stomach.

"Oh my, I, um... didn't notice how hungry I am until just now," she said as a slight blush appeared upon her cheeks. "I missed breakfast, oh well. I'll just get something to eat while I'm in town."

Gandalf shook his head. "There is no need to wait until then. I can be of some help here," he said, and from his leathern knapsack he drew out one of the fine mallorn-wrapped loaves of lembas with his horn-magic. When it floated over to her Fluttershy looked curiously at it, and then at Gandalf.

"For me?" she asked.

"Indeed. Go on and take it!" Gandalf assured as the leaf-wrapping came undone with his magic and the light-brown treat within was revealed. "I think you will find it rather filling."

The hold of his magic upon the foodstuff vanished as the yellow mare grasped it with one of her hooves, and took a small gentle bite. In an instant astonishment came into Fluttershy's eyes, and her next bite was a bit larger and chewed more slowly.

"Wow, this is really good!" remarked Fluttershy. "It's really creamy and sweet, and it's nice and chewy too, and..." she attempted to have a third morsel, but then moved the bread away from her mouth and took a hard look at it. "...I'm already too stuffed to eat any more. What is this? I've never eaten anything like it."

"It is known as lembas," said Gandalf, not very surprised at all that his newest acquaintance had taken a liking to the Elvish waybread and pleased that her famishment had gone. "It was gifted to me some time ago, and before you ask I must admit that I am not sure of the recipe. You seem to enjoy it very much, so keep the rest!"

"Oh, well, if you don't mind. Thank you so much!" she said happily as Gandalf wrapped the remaining portion within the Mallorn once more and returned it to her, and then she placed it into the traveling pack at her side.

"You are welcome," said Gandalf. "Do not forget to keep it within the leaf-wrapping and it will remain fresh for months."

"That sounds really handy. Okay!" Fluttershy replied, and Gandalf saw a new bounce to her step as she walked with renewed vigor. Now they were at the foot of the second bank of earth (it really had been a short walk) and as they followed its surface upwards Fluttershy said: "Just over this hill, and you'll be able to see Ponyville."

"Very good," Gandalf said, now beginning to conjure within his mind's eye an image of the town as Canterlot stood unmoving high above. He now realized he had no knowledge at all of what the town looked like; he wondered if the homes were pieced together from brick and mortar or strong wood and nails, or if it would be made from unsullied marble like the city perched proudly above. The slope became even and they stood on the hilltop as Ponyville at last arrived into the wizard's view.

"There it is," said Fluttershy. "It's wonderful, isn't it?"

She spoke the truth, for what the wizard saw was a delightful village fit to be portrayed in a painting set on a wall by a soft reading chair in a comfortable warm home. Gandalf saw that his second guess was closer to the truth; a wood colored a tinge off from white gave nearly all the houses form, and angled beams and frames of what looked like oak or mahogany was set also into the structures, and atop them were thick roofs of what Gandalf supposed to be straw. But then his eyes were drawn to a tall jagged shape that towered above all the other homes. For a brief moment the wizard thought his eyes fooled, and he blinked and then saw there had been no mistake; a beautiful many-pointed star sculpted from a colossal piece of crystal or glass hung there atop a golden spire that surmounted a small many-windowed purple castle, which itself was clasped firmly by the limbs and branches of an immense tree carved from the same incandescence as that tremendous star; and there were many facets upon the star and the tree and each was a mirror that glowed clear blue with the reflection of the endless summer sky above. A banner violet bearing a symbol that was too small to clearly determine hung at the side from a golden flagpole and over two golden perches, one beneath it and another extending from the edifice front. The wizard pondered then if ever before in his life he had seen so impossible and grand a tower as that and he found that he could remember nothing quite of the sort; the Elves were responsible for many a marvelous craft and Gandalf recollected the afternoon sun on the trees and many graceful terraces of Imladris*, but skilled as the first children were with bending wood and stone and steel to their wills he did not think they ever had shaped a titanic gem into a many-colored tree. Perhaps in Valinor* far in the West there were like things of unreal elegance, but the very thought of that coveted realm would place longing in his heart and Gandalf decided to abandon what little he could remember of his true home at this time.

"A grand sight!" Gandalf said. "I imagine this all took much time to assemble. And what is that?" he asked and he pointed at the luminous tower-tree that stood above all.

"Oh! That's my friend Twilight's castle," said Fluttershy, then she brought a hoof to her chin and added: "Or maybe I should say 'Princess' Twilight?"

"'Princess', you say? There is a third alicorn?" Gandalf asked, taken aback by this discovery as Fluttershy nodded. "But you had said that Celestia and Luna had been always the sole regents?"

"Well, that's right. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are the only alicorns that rule Equestria, but there's also Princess Cadance and Princess Twilight, who are alicorns too but don't rule Equestria," said Fluttershy.

"They came after I had gone, then," mused Gandalf.

"Um, right... Actually, Twilight didn't become an alicorn until very recently. She was a unicorn like you before she changed," said Fluttershy. "And I'm not sure when Cadance became an alicorn."

"I wager some manner of powerful magic led to your friend Twilight's ascension?" said Gandalf.

"Yes. Um, it's sort of a long story..." said Fluttershy. Gandalf saw a deep concentration starting to form in her eyes, and the wizard knew that as interesting as the story may be there were simply too many details for the mare to recount in a timely fashion.

"No need to tell it all," laughed Gandalf. "At a later time perhaps I shall trouble you for the tale. Or instead I shall trouble the Sisters for it, if they know it?"

"Oh, Princess Celestia had a hoof in transforming Twilight, actually," Fluttershy revealed. "So, yes. She could certainly tell you everything."

"I surmised as much; what force other than alicorn magic could forge wings upon unicorns?" said Gandalf as he looked to Canterlot; he imagined the Princesses somehow sighting him already from one of those tall spires, and Celestia sailing down joyfully in his direction like a white arrow with many-colored fletching, and behind her little Luna calling out her sister's name, fluttering slowly on untrained wings as she descended. Yet the city Canterlot remained mute and still, but the wizard would not; it was time to go.

"Let us walk," said Gandalf as he began to trot down the hill.

"Oh, wait!" exclaimed his companion, but when he turned his gaze to her she bore a reluctant grin, and dismissively she said: "Actually, never mind. It can wait until later."

"Ah, but 'later' does have a habit of arriving sooner than you think. You may as well speak now, Fluttershy," said Gandalf. At the moment he was very eager to enter Ponyville, but he thought she might tell him something of importance before then.

"Um, really, it's nothing," she insisted apologetically, and then she started also down the slope with a reassuring grin. "C'mon, let's go!"

"Agreed," said Gandalf, and when the mare began to hum a jaunty walking-song he knew the matter would no longer be discussed here (despite the fact that she had raised it in the first place), and all at the same time Gandalf was amused and curious and a small bit irked at her fickleness and the swift abandonment of her intended words.

But entrance to Ponyville was imminent, and as he descended toward the approaching portrait he searched with his eyes for whatever else he had missed on his first viewing. Among the roof-tops were pennants strung off thin rope and atop some of them were fluttering flags, and a forest of trees bearing thick apples red as rubies sat to the west, and behind that a long winding bridge emerged from behind the town and scaled the tall rock atop which sat Canterlot. High above Gandalf thought he saw a small fragment of rainbow hanging off a cloud, but as the white billow moved with the air the rainbow vanished, and Gandalf deemed it no more than a trick of light.

Then when the path became flat against the earth and they passed by a small series of white wood fence he and Fluttershy came into the shadow of the village edge, where to his delight he caught glimpses of ponies going this way and that with many different shades of coat to match their number, and while his view of them was obscured by the many houses he could hear already the storm of hoof-beats atop the packed village roads, and distant talk that to his far-away ears had been reduced to mutterings. Now they crossed a large wood stream-bridge banded at its sides with purple that closed a sparkling watery gap between the traveled road and the village, and afore the wizard was a bustling street of pegasi and unicorns and earth ponies.

"Well, here we are," he heard Fluttershy say with cheer, and his pace slowed and his companion's followed as he looked all about with bright eyes that revealed to him the stories of this new Equestria. By an alley there were fillies and colts jumping about excitedly over the results of some foals' game that they were engaged in; in the doorway of a home nearby stood a mare with blue bolts of lightning for a mane and odd purple spectacles bidding a fond farewell to another mare with a finely curled dark mane who smiled earnestly back at her friend; swooping erratically around in the air above was a pegasus pony with a mane of spun gold, who bore a satchel of letters and went from house to house depositing them; and he and Fluttershy both were approaching a thick dark-domed tower standing tall in a square.

"Not very much has changed, and I am glad," said Gandalf.

"Oh, what do you mean?" asked Fluttershy.

"I had feared that some sort of trouble had befallen Equestria since I departed, but I see now that ponykind is faring as well as it had in the past; perhaps better, even," replied the unicorn, and as he beamed at the sturdy oak-dwellings and their stout inhabitants in this tranquil untroubled world it came to him that Ponyville, in its simple beauty, was not so different from the Shire.

"I... think you're right," Fluttershy said simply, and though the presence of unsaid words in her reply did not escape the wizard he did not press upon it, taken as he was with these new sights.

"And it is peaceful enough here that this old pony may soon fall into a deep sleep on his hooves," continued Gandalf, and Fluttershy wore a small grin.

Then they entered the town square, where Gandalf saw again the pennants and banners he had spotted from afar, and there was the many-windowed tower that reached higher with its dark pointed top than the flat straw roofs of all the other buildings around, and arched over by three pink bridges on the other side of the square was a border of blue stream; Gandalf likened it to a limb of the Brandywine*. Over the bridges and rising from behind some trees was a tip of the star-gem that crowned the crystal tower belonging to Fluttershy's friend, but when he wondered if he should go there for a visit he realized that he had nearly lost sight of his purpose for returning here.

"Ah, pardon me; I nearly forgot the more pressing matters we each have to attend to," said Gandalf. "If you would point me in the direction of the train's station, I shall take my leave and trouble you no longer."

"Oh, you're not troubling me at all! Really!" Fluttershy said quickly. "But um, if that's what you want then sure," and she aimed a hoof past Gandalf and at a street adjacent to the one they stood at the edge of, and that the silhouette of Canterlot loomed right over. "Keep going down that street, and you won't be able to miss it. You really just need to head towards Canterlot, and you'll find the train station and the tracks."

"Thank you kindly. Then, we part now, though I believe our paths will cross again," said Gandalf. "After all I do intend to return here, once I've concluded the more urgent business at Canterlot."

"Okay, then I hope to see you around, Mister Gandalf! It was nice meeting you," said Fluttershy. "And, best of luck. Oh, and please tell Princess Celestia and Princess Luna I say 'hello'! But um, otherwise, bye!" and she waved a hoof in farewell.

"I shall do so. Good-bye!" said Gandalf, and as she turned away he gazed intently at her retreating form, now wondering if she had lost the desire to discuss whatever had concerned her earlier on the hill, or if she had forgotten to. He set his sights then on Canterlot, and made his way down the path selected.

With the Sisters so close the wizard paid no mind to the idyllic scenes around him, choosing instead to hurry forward. Along the way Gandalf noticed that many eyes had been drawn to him, and from passersby and windows around and above came stares and whispers, much to the wizard's chagrin; now that he could afford to find the time and cause for amusement he wished to maintain the element of surprise in his arrival, and hoped that news of his appearance would not reach the city Canterlot quicker than he would.

Then a sound like some vast whistle tore through the air from someways ahead accompanied by a noise like steel grinding upon itself. Alarmed at first he then remembered Fluttershy's description of a 'long and loud machine', and quickened his walk, and when there were no longer ponies in sight and the lines of properties by him came to an end and Canterlot was so large in view that the mountains behind it were no longer in sight he spotted two small houses atop a raised wooden platform farther up the dirt trail that the smooth-paved village road had become again, and from behind those extended what looked to Gandalf like a row of linked carriages with glass windows and roofs colored yellow and blue and pink, with the frontmost carriage colored deep blue and shaped at its front into a duck bill that met the skeletal steel frame beneath. In the distance stood a snake-like bridge that bore the steel-forged path as it winded into a tunnel in a mountainside, and Gandalf could see nothing beyond that.

He came to a stop as he ascended the platform and studied the train with great interest; never before had he encountered or even read of such an outrageous contraption, and instantly he found himself wondering by who and when it was devised, and how it found movement. The Dwarves he knew were responsible for the forging of many mechanical wonders, but none were quite as baffling or fantastic as this. A stallion wearing a dark red scarf and a white cap was seated within the blue carriage, and as the wizard approached the stallion turned a tired eye to him, widening it slightly at the view of the sunlit pale robes and beard and staff.

"Hello! Does this train lead to Canterlot?" the wizard asked.

"Erm, yes it does. Climb on. We'll be leaving in a few minutes," replied the stallion, whose eyes lingered on Gandalf for a moment longer before they blinked and returned to what lay ahead.

"Thank you!" said Gandalf, and he went up the very short flight of stairs that led him to a door of the pink-roofed carriage. Aboard and within the cabin, he stepped on to a long green carpet that met also the doorway opposite the one he stood in, and flanking it were rows of thick white seats backed by panels of light green glass. He found fellow passengers; far in the back sat a stallion with a short oil-shined mane dressed formally in a crimson necktie, and a bright pink filly that wore a small silver crown in her mane; a row ahead of them sat a stallion engrossed in a large book that hid away his face. The dressed stallion caught sight of Gandalf and after arching his brow at the wizard gave a small nod of greeting, a gesture which was not followed by the crowned filly, who instead stared at Gandalf and then raised a hoof to hide her mouth as she leaned in to whisper to the stallion.

Humbly Gandalf returned the stallion's gesture, and then lowered himself on to the seat to his right, its window permitting him a view of his destination as he rested; through the mist that rose from where the sapphire waterfalls kissed the earth was sunlight that gilded the airborne water, forming pale gold phantom bridges by the belly of the mountain that enthroned that vast ivory castle. Soon he would ascend that mountain, and he would come to the gates of Canterlot, and there he would find Celestia and Luna and present to them the long-overdue gifts that lay in the knapsack on his back beneath the robe, and then there would be no more doubts. Then Gandalf closed his eyes; only for a moment to gain a reprieve from his very long walk. Yet languor kept them shut, and he drifted into a sound slumber against his white staff as the train roared again and headed upwards for Canterlot.

Author's Note:

Imladris: Another name for Rivendell, the Elven outpost ruled by Elrond that we happen across several times in Tolkien's works.

Valinor: Also known as the Undying Lands. This is where the Valar reside, and from where the Five Wizards sailed to combat Sauron with the Free Peoples.

Brandywine: A long river that stretches from north into the Shire, forming most of its eastern border.

Comments ( 148 )
Comment posted by Mountainmanmad deleted Feb 23rd, 2015

5523178 Yeah, you go ahead and do that...

It's alive!
This chapter just made my day, thank you very much!

5662004

The pleasure is all mine.

NIGGER IT"S BEEN 2 MOTHA! FUKING! YEARS! :flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

5662017

I APOLOGIZE MY LIFE WENT TO SHIT but it's better now so we're good!

It's ALIVE!!!!!!!!

I hope things go better for you.

5662036

Thank you, they have been!

*chuckles* you know, this was one of the first stories I ever favorited on this page. I'm glad to see it alive and well as well as you, Ascension!

5662021 Yay! Your life is going better now! That's the most important thing.

Also nice that this updated, too. I have to admit, I had taken it off of my watchlist with sadness and regret during one of my recent cleanups. But it's back now. :)

It's alive... IT'S ALIVE!

OH GLORIOUS DAY!

...yay! :yay:

well this was a nice cap to my afternoon. Great to see the story continue. :pinkiehappy:

YES! IT UPDATED!

IT IS BEAUTIFUL BEYOND BELIEF!

So, will we have to wait another two years for the next chapter?

5662140
Hey! That's my line! :flutterrage:

But Gandalf, I thought necromancy was a forbidden art! :pinkiegasp:

Ehee, I've been waiting for this chapter and it's kind of a wonder to see it after so long! I do wonder how it would have differed before Hasbro built a castle in the middle of town, however.

Holy s:yay:t, it's back! :pinkiehappy:

5662161

Nope!


5662168

Good eye! I think I failed to correct that while revising a while ago. Thanks, and corrected. :D

You held your promise. This fanfic returns in my favourites. Now onto reading!

Huh, I thought this was dead. Glad to see that it has risen from the grave.

media.giphy.com/media/okDjr7L2mkBb2/giphy.gif
Hey let me see what's on...*sees this update* Yes, the fic of our lifetimes has returned. It's good to see another great LOTR crossover update.

Not a lot for this chapter, but it was nice to see Gandalf's inner thoughts as well as Fluttershy's curiosity. The old man was so giddy to see the Princesses that it was hilariously charming.

o.O
O.o
O.O
( ) . ( )
New chapter...

So, the rumors of your demise were unfounded, I see.

Welcome back, nice to see you getting back into this. I think everyone held out a small hope you would return someday.

How did he get on without a ticket?

Cool, I thought this was dead, glad to see you're continuing this

I must say, I had written this one off a long time ago. I'm so glad that you're finally able to continue it.

Yay, you're back! I'd given up all thought of this being revived or continued, so thank you sir for proving me wrong!!! I've missed your incredibly flowerly Tolkien-esque prose. :P

5662170

And unfortunately your line's been stolen :trollestia:

5662183

The extra good stuff will happen next chapter!


5662197

Your comment is perfect, My Lion.

5662268

I've wondered for a while if tickets are needed; I can't recall ever seeing the ponies purchasing or having tickets to the train. If I'm wrong, please correct me! :O

Welcome back! It's been a long time indeed!

lol 2012 likes okay guys just 3 more

Oh dear lord it's like all of the previously dead Fics are coming back to life!
Fantastic chapter!

going to fave this but not gonna read it till u finish, got enough incomplete storys as it is bruh :p

Hooray, you're back!

This has made my day.

Gandalf managed not to meet Pinkie ! Did he use some sort of magic trick?
Nice chapter. I am eager to see what happens next.

Fucking hell! I had thought this thing dead! Good to see it back and I hope I don't have to wait another 2 years for a new chapter, ya dingus.

5662522

A wizard is never surprise-partied. He arrives at his celebration precisely when he means to.

I must say, it's an absolute delight that you decided to return to this wonderful fic! I've just stumbled upon it myself, and I find myself already wanting more! X3

It's certainly amazing to see great stories get revived after such a long time of inactivity, regardless of the reason. I know too many stories that have fallen dormant due to time. Thank you very much for continuing this! :3

Yay! It returns!

I really love your Tolkien-pastiche writing style.

It lives....omg it lives! I....yyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss!!!!

It so good to have you back you magnificent bastard you.

Yay! This is such a masterpiece. Beautiful prose and such wonderful descriptions. I love this story so much. The quality of your writing gives me a small pang of envy, and a wonderful glow of joy, like stepping out into a clear spring day while reading.

I can't believe that this is back! This is the story I used to get to Fimfiction from Google before I knew the address!

Wow, this was an unexpected surprise. :yay:

Another chapter......WOOO HOOO! :yay:

Login or register to comment