• Published 20th May 2020
  • 1,309 Views, 75 Comments

Rainbow Dash: Aerial Avenger - The Bricklayer



Rainbow 'Crash' Dash, that's what they called her. But an accident changed all that, and now she finds herself with new powers. New powers that are a real marvel... (SoarinDash)

  • ...
10
 75
 1,309

Mare-Vel Adventures #3: Girl, You Really Got Me...

“Ugh, finally!” Rainbow shouted as she punched the air, discharged from the hospital. “Thought if I was going to spend any more time in there, I’d start bouncing off the walls! Seriously, I know hospitals are supposed to help you get better and all that, but really, they’re probably not supposed to drive you nearly insane!”

“Yes, well, you’re… you, Rainbows,” Fleetfoot said, having drawn the short straw to greet Rainbow as soon as she got out of the hospital. Well, that and she’d been watching her kid. And her cat. Fleetfoot shuddered; who knew one animal could be so… so scary?

“And what’s that supposed to mean, huh?” Rainbow said, narrowing her eyes at her quasi sorta-friend.

“Well, it’s a pilot thing, am I right?” Fleetfoot said. “We don’t like to be crammed up in one spot for too long. We’re like cowpokes in that regard. We’re off to the next… oh, no wait, that metaphor doesn’t work, does it? Aaaagggh, point being, we don’t like being cooped up anywhere for too long. We’re supposed to be, well, free as a bird.”

“Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and this bird you'll never change…!” Soarin' sang along, making both Rainbow and Fleets look at him.

“...you see, this is why nobody asks you out to parties,” Fleetfoot drawled. “You’re such a dork, Farmboy.”

“Excuse me, I’ll have you know that I’ve got girls just lining up to go out to parties with yours truly,” Soarin’ said and both Rainbow and Fleetfoot looked at each other before bursting out laughing.

“You sure they aren’t your sisters?” Fleetfoot asked. “Cause really, haven’t seen anyone asking you out that you don’t need to chaperone to their prom.”

“Girls, where? I don’t see anyone lining up on any blocks!” Rainbow teased, punching him in the shoulder. “But hey, you keep on dreamin’ Clipper, eh?”

“...jeez, way to kick a guy in the ego…” Soarin’ mumbled.

“Besides, I think we all know there’s only one girl for you, Farmboy,” Fleetfoot said. “Not who I’d pick for you, but no accounting for taste!”

“W-What’s that supposed to mean?” Soarin’ said, his voice taking a slightly higher pitch than the norm.

“Oh, come off it,” Fleetfoot said. “God knows there’s only one reason why you’d stay at Rainbow’s bedside for so long!”

Rainbow flushed an interesting shade of red taking in this new information, she had been certain Fleets and Soarin’ had been seeing each other on the down-low. And yet here Fleetfoot was, acting as Soarin’s wingman. To HER! ...Um, okay, yeah Rainbow needed a fair amount of time to unpack this information.

“She needed a friend, that was all,” Soarin’ reaffirmed, making Rainbow deflate a little. Yeah, she knew she shouldn’t have gotten her hopes up too high. “Besides, I didn’t see any of you guys coming out to visit her.”

“Hey, we’ve got lives beyond our crushes,” Fleetfoot said and Rainbow’s face turned even redder. This, of course, went unnoticed by either Soarin’ or Fleetfoot. “Speakin’ of which, ooh that gives me an idea. Hey, Crash, up for celebratin’ your discharge? There’s this club I know, okay? Run by Misty’s little sister... or was that cousin? I’m never sure. Annnnnnnnnnnnyways, quite the little place and pretty popular amongst the gang.”

“Oh yeah, then how come I’ve never heard of it?” Rainbow asked her friend, giving her the suspicious eye.

“You run in different circles from the rest of us, Crash,” Fleetfoot responded. “You’ve got your friends from Canterlot High, plus Pinks is always the one finding you a place to party. You’ve never asked what clubs we frequent, so we’ve never had any reason to tell you. Simple as that.”

“Um, yeah, sure. I’m game. What the hell?” Rainbow shrugged as she walked to her car, Fleetfoot opening the door for her. A little blur tackled Rainbow, hugging her tight. “...hey munchkin, good to see you too.”

Rainbow suddenly looked at Fleetfoot, with a suspicious eye.

“Hey, no, before you ask I didn’t corrupt her or anything like that,” Fleetfoot said holding up her hands in a defensive posture. “Surprise and I both took turns watchin’ the little flier. Was nothing but a perfect angel. And she still is.”

“Why’d you think Auntie Flatfoot would corrupt me, mom?” Scootaloo asked, seemingly missing the dirty ‘look’ Fleetfoot sent Rainbow. Soarin’ suppressed a little snort.

“...No reason…” Rainbow said weakly, remembering the time when Fleetfoot led the whole barracks in a chorus of Ninety Nine Bottles till Spitfire had to come in and break it up.

In any event, Rainbow found herself at home and crashing on her couch, watching -for whatever reason- crappy reality TV, before she heard a soft ‘mrf’ as her cat clambered up to meet her.

“Hey, Chews…” Rainbow said, petting her cat on the head, and soon the purrs started. “...good to see you too. God, I’m turning into Rarity, aren’t I? Crazy cat lady, am I right?”

Chewie looked offended.

“...Not that this is a bad thing, of course…” Rainbow quickly corrected. She swore that cat was too intelligent for her own good. Gave her the creeps at times, actually. “So yeah, mommy’s going clubbing, and Fleetfoot’s picking the venue. Really wondering if I should be worried. Ah, it’ll probably be a whole lot of nothin’ really…”

This last part came out as a mumble as Rainbow drifted off to sleep, dreaming of Soarin’. It was their wedding day. Soarin’ was in a nice tux, everything for once just turning out right with the world. The newspapers would all report it to be perfect, and they’d be the envy of all.

Pinkie, having been ordained as a rabbi, presided over it all. “...and I now pronounce you husband and wife! You may kiss the bride.

Soarin’ lifted her veil, and Rainbow was leaning in to kiss him. Their rings had already been placed around their fingers, and vows had been said. Suddenly, Soarin’s skin turned a bright blue, and Rainbow jumped.

“Soarin’... you’re blue,” she said.

“So I am, something wrong?” Soarin’ asked as if it was the most perfectly natural thing in the world. Wedding bells chimed before the sound turned to that of bombs exploding. The whole world shifted into that of a ruined wasteland. The guests began changing, into those green elf-like beings from before. They were coming to take her, they were coming to take her planet! And Rainbow struck, her hands glowing gold with cosmic power…

Rainbow shot awake, moonlight shining in through her window. She opened her hands, panting and sweating hard. No glow. God, what was happening to her?


Far across the world, Detroit Steel rocketed to the first possible Mandarin hideout, pieced together from his previous transmissions. Inside it, Silver Zoom.

Landing outside a garage, Silver Zoom ripped the doors open. He suppressed a facepalm as behind those doors were a bunch of women in traditional garb at sewing machines.

“Oh. Captain, unless the Mandarin's next attack on the U.S. involves cheaply-made sportswear, I think you messed up again,” the older pilot said in annoyance, his helmet retracting. The gaggle of women swarmed the metallic armor-clad man. They fawned over him, shaking his hand and running their hands all over his armor. “Yes, you're free, uh, if you weren't before. It's... Of course. Yes, ma'am. Detroit Steel on the job. Happy to help. No need to thank me, ma'am. It's my pleasure.”

Silver Zoom gave an awkward little salute before flying up into the atmosphere.

Spitfire back in the control room gave a sigh and slumped back in her chair. “...well, that was a bust.”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure we’ll get him next time,” said Justin Hammer from beside her. “Truth, justice, and the American way never fails!”

Spitfire gave him a look, lowering her famous shades. “...by the way, been meaning to ask. Detroit Steel?”

“It… It tested well in focus groups okay?” Justin Hammer stammered out, and from the look on Spitfire’s face she didn’t exactly believe him.

And she let him know it too.

“Bull,” Spitfire said. “You’re just trying to copycat Captain America. ...with none of the charm, and looking like some Chinese knock-off.”

“Yes, well, Captain America didn’t have sweet-ass laser cannons and a giant chainsaw now, did he?” Justin practically whined.

“He did if you count that one terrible movie with the dinosaurs…Savage Land, Savage Heart indeed!” High Winds muttered in the back of the room, going ignored and wondering if she should grab some popcorn. Answer: yes, as her boss was just getting started.

“Well, Captain America didn’t need them!” Spitfire said. “The Cap had America's ass and a shield, and that’s all the Cap needed. End of story!”

“He used guns…” Justin weakly pointed out.

“And you’re using a gun and you’re overcompensating,” Spitfire said. “Hey, what do the ladies tell you? Cause I’mma tell you right now, it ain’t what you think it is.”

“Hey, now Cap? He was the pick-up truck,” Justin said. “Detroit Steel? The full-on Lamborghini!”

“You’re not helping your case, you know that right?” Spitfire drawled. “Because really, a Lamborghini? That’s just screaming you got a tiny one in your pants.”

“Oh really? What would you know? How would you even know?” Justin said snidely. “Want to find out?”

“No more than I want to find out with Tony Stark,” Spitfire said with a sarcastic sneer. By now, the entire room was watching the back and forth. “Hell, bet he’d be even more entertaining anyways. Pretty sure that mile-long list is for a reason.”

“I doubt that given his missiles probably speak for his prowess,” Justin said.

“His missiles are very good, so I think they do,” Spitfire said with a little lascivious grin that let everyone know she was winning this argument. It also let High Winds know more than she ever really needed to know about her boss.

“Oh, you know what?” Justin said. “Fine, when Silver Zoom gets back I’ll take Steel up, and then I’ll show you just how good my missiles are.”

“Yeah sure, that’ll be interesting to watch. It’ll be even more interesting to see you end up in a full-body cast drinking through a straw!” Spitfire said. “I’ll send flowers.”

“...Oh, ye of little faith. I’ve logged over 300 hours!” Justin said.

“In a simulator?” Spitfire said. “...cause pretty sure I heard High Winds commenting that when she took you up, you ended up pukin’.”

In the background, High Winds nodded a small ‘yes’.

“That was a once in a lifetime fluke,” Justin said. “And that’s all I’m saying on the matter.”

“Puker, puker!” Spitfire mocked.

“Ladies, please, you’re both pretty!” High Winds called out with a cackle. Justin meanwhile, stormed off.

“...I thought he’d never leave,” Spitfire mumbled, wiping the sweat from her brow. “God, what a pig. Surprised he didn’t start oinking.”

“Yes, ma’am. I know ma’am,” High Winds nodded in sympathy. “Oh, by the way? Lawson’s been waiting outside for about… oh, a half-hour or so? I lost count, but you’d better go greet him. Looked important.”

Spitfire swore under her breath before climbing out of her chair to greet the man.

“So, I’m assuming by the way I saw Justin storm past, I missed something good?” Philip said with a wry little smile.

“Depends on your definition of good. Man’s such an idiot. Like, how did he ever get a contract?” Spitfire steamed.

“Because we’re cheap?” Philip said with a sigh. “Oh, been meaning to tell you. Rainbow’s out of the hospital. Fully discharged, but…”

Spitfire noticeably perked up at this. “Well, that’s one piece of good news. Hated seeing her in that bed. I sent her some flowers, even while Soarin’ was being all puppy-dog eyed at the foot of her bed. Don’t tell her, though, okay?”

“About Soarin’?” Philip said. “Because I’m pretty sure you’d have to be the densest woman on the planet not to notice… well, that.

“About the flowers, I got a reputation to keep up,” Spitfire said before she frowned. “But… from the look on your face, I’m guessing there’s something more you have to tell me right?”

“Rainbow… well, she was bathed in the prototype’s fuel. She came away with… abilities,” Philip said delicately. Spitfire looked at him, lowering her shades once more.

“Out with it Lawson, no time for beating around the bush.”

“I saw her floating above her bed, glowing. I’m just wondering what else she can do…”

“Well, only one way to find out,” Spitfire said. “No reason to treat her like a circus freak, we’ll just watch and observe. Nothing more. Understood?” she asked. Philip nodded.

“Understood, ma’am.”


Cloud Nine was this little place just off main street, used to be this old warehouse till it got reconverted. Rainbow had heard a few stories about it here and there, but she’d never actually experienced it for herself.

Fleetfoot had vouched for this place, and keep in mind she was one of the more party-hearty members of Rainbow’s squad. Nowhere near as bad as Surprise, but pretty close really.

“Name, please?” the bouncer at the door said. She was a huge woman, bristling with muscles, and skin like chocolate. A cigarette was in her mouth, the woman lighting up a smoke. Rainbow’s eyes widened in surprise before she let out a grin as she hugged her.

“Hey, yo G!” Rainbow called out. “Haven’t seen you in ages! Thought you’d skipped town, actually. Went back home to tu famila.”

“Bah, mi famila’s currently too big of a mess for me right now, ya dig? Mama just got herself a new piece of eye candy to lug around, Rainbow,” Gilda said as both Fleetfoot and Soarin’ looked on in shock, never knowing Rainbow was actually intimately familiar with the bouncer. “So, yeah, decided not to head back home. Ugh, no thanks, chica. I’d rather not see who mama’s playing with this time. ‘Sides, the bossman would really hate to lose his best hired muscle.”

“Ah, yeah, I get you,” Rainbow said. “Still, tell your family I said hi, ‘kay?”

“Told you Rainbow, not going back to them at the moment,” Gilda said.

“Yeah, sure you’re not,” Rainbow said, not really believing her. Patting her friend on the back, she said: “You always end up drifting back home eventually. You’re like me, you’d never leave anyone in a pinch.”

“Ugh, you had to play the loyalty card didn’t you?” Gilda grumbled lifting up the rope to let her by. “You can go on in, go on scram chica! Don’t let me catch you ‘round here again, alright?”

Rainbow flipped her off as she was let by, Soarin’ and Fleetfoot sharing yet another look.

“Didn’t know you knew the bouncer,” Fleetfoot remarked with a look towards her friend. “So, what else you not telling us? Got a super-secret girlfriend anywhere that we should know about?”

“Why is it that everyone assumes with my rainbow hair I’m some sort of lesbian icon?” Rainbow drawled. “It’s natural, for the last time. It’s not dyed. What, you think my parents named me Rainbow because I was a redhead?”

“Well, I mean, you do sorta set my gaydar on fire…” Fleetfoot said in a teasing tone. “But really, what was that with you and G? She never talks to any of us like that!”

“Ah, well you know how it is,” Rainbow said. “Childhood friends and all that. We both went to the same elementary school together. Gilda and her aunt moved out here from Mexico, so there you go. Guess we sorta liked some of the same stuff. Same bands and all that. Plus, we were both the new kids along with Flutters, y’know? Everything sorta just… fell into place I guess.”

“Huh, you keep on surprising us Crash,” Fleetfoot said. “Doting mom, cat lover, and now apparently you’ve got connections in just about every part of town. What else are you holding out on us? It’s not superpowers is it?”

Rainbow said with a little smirk: “Wouldn’t you like to know?”

The bass pounded in Rainbow’s ears as the threesome entered the club, multi-colored lights dancing all across the floor, which was a sea of moving and grinding bodies. The walls shook with each reverberation of the music, drinks flowing and the party seemingly unable to stop.

Rainbow found herself shoving aside a clearly wasted, barely legal couple, necking each other. Inhibitions had been tossed aside, something Rainbow was no stranger to seeing. People were letting loose and showing their other sides. Rainbow knew in a few hours she’d be driving home some wasted Wonderbolts and dealing with her Captain’s disapproving glare.

Worth it.

She hadn’t had a chance to let loose and enjoy herself a little since before the whole Mandarin business started. She needed her time off.

She heard a holler, and saw Lightning Dust waving her and Fleetfoot over. A strawberry sunrise was in each hand, the woman instantly recognizable by her lightning bolt jacket The woman looked half-wasted already, her blond hair a bit of a mess.

“So, the life of the party has arrived!” Lightning cheered and raised her glass high.

“No, I’m not the life of the party, you are Dust,” Rainbow said. “I’m just the girl who’s going to be driving you all home when you all inevitably crash.”

“Hee hee, good one,” Lightning slurred. “You… you see what you did there? Combining your callsign and the word… anyone? Guys? Did anyone see what a perfect pun she just made there?”

Okay, more than half-wasted, Rainbow corrected herself. Well, this was going to be fun. Somewhere deep inside, she was already having regrets in agreeing to all of this. “Breathe Rainbow, this is normal. Besides, you’re here to have fun. Let Lightning be Lightning, let her be a bit of an idiot. It’s what she’s best at anyways. You weren’t like this before, oh wow did military training do a number on you. You being the responsible one for once? Huh, now there’s a surprise. You used to be the type of gal to jump at the chance to do shit like this. Then again, you weren’t chaperoning before were you, with all eyes on you. Co-workers waiting for you to screw up again like you did with Lawson and the Asis.”

Rainbow had heard the mutters of course, when she was laid up in her hospital bed. About how she had proven herself unfit for duty, crashing that prototype as she did. Never mind the fact that it was Lawson who’d forgotten to run fuel checks. But nope, don’t blame the head of the military science division. Blame the girl who was in the pilot’s seat.

Someone had to take the blame for wasting a billion dollars, and as long as it wasn’t the guy who was actually responsible...

Unaware of Rainbow’s worries and internal grumblings, Soarin’ and Fleetfoot sat at the bar.

“Hey, how’d you get invites to this place anyways?” Soarin had to ask, his drink temporarily set to the side. The music shifted to something faster. “This place is like, so exclusive!”

“Oh Farmboy, don’t you ever change. I went to high school with the owner. I really ought to introduce you, Abby’s a wonderful woman. And hey, if you and Crash don’t work out…”

“M-Me and…” Soarin’ sputtered. “Hey, you know the rules! There’s no-”

“-Internal fraternization, yeah yeah, I know. You’re so by the book Soar, I can see why you and Rainbow work well together. You need to loosen up,” Fleetfoot yawned. “Well, you can still date Rainbow on the down low, long as the Captain doesn't find out.”

“I… I…” Soarin’ murmured.

“Which is the real reason why we’re here,” Fleetfoot said. “See, I’ve been tired of you and Rainbow making puppy dog eyes at each other. It’s really sickening. Look, I know the hair thing was real sweet of you and all, but seriously man, act on those feelings of yours! Me and the squad are gettin’ real tired of you and Crash not really progressing anywhere. Go on, you goof, ask her out for a dance. Might get you somewhere. Hell, maybe it’ll get you a lot of somewheres. If you two end up screwin’ in a bathroom stall somewhere, win-win!”

“You’re a real criminal mastermind…” Soarin’ muttered, not sure if he should be in awe of Fleetfoot or scared of her.

“I know, it’s one of my greatest qualities!” Fleetfoot beamed before shoving Soarin’ off. “Now go on, go ask her to dance!”

Soarin’ nodded nervously before walking off. Fleetfoot raised her glass, took a sip and smiled. Damn, was she a genius or was she a genius?

Her eyes began to wander, now who would be the perfect little conquest of her own?

Soarin’ wandered through the mess of dancing bodies, quickly finding Rainbow thanks to her distinctive hair. Even in this mess of color, it shone like nothing else.

He sucked in a breath, nothing ventured… nothing gained.

“Hey Soar,” Rainbow said. “I… yeah, thanks for staying at my side when I was laid up. Been meaning to get around to thanking you for that, just… was never able to. You didn’t have to do that you know, you could have just sent flowers.”

“But I wanted to,” Soarin’ said. “Someone had to, why not me?”

“You have a life you know, it doesn’t have to revolve entirely around me,” Rainbow said. “B-Besides, it’s not like… we can, you know, date.”

“So?” Soarin’ said. “I’ll get promoted, then we can do something about that.”

“Pretty sure Spitfire won’t just up and promote you to lieutenant just so you can date me,” Rainbow said as their bodies moved and grooved to the sound of the beat. “She’s never been that nice, you know.”

“Mhmm, I don’t know. She can come around. Besides, Lieutenant Soarin’ Skies. I kinda like the sound of that,” Soarin’ replied. “What do you think? Rolls off the tongue, don’t it?”

“Don’t get too ahead of yourself,” Rainbow replied. “Besides, there are other girls in your rank. I mean, you seem pretty damn close with Fleetfoot really…”

Ah, there was the rub. Soarin’ laughed.

“You jerk!” Rainbow snapped looking ready to slap him.

“I’m sorry, I’m not laughing at you, Rainbow. At least… not entirely anyways,” Soarin’ affirmed. “It’s just… me and Fleetfoot? You honestly think we’re dating?”

“Well, uh, yeah!” Rainbow said. “You two are like kit and kaboodle half of the time, real chummy. So it’s only natural to think that…”

“No, we’re only good friends. Just good friends, that’s all,” Soarin’ corrected her. “We’re more like brother and sister actually, the thought of dating her… okay, eww.”

“Sure got everyone on base fooled,” Rainbow muttered. “But yeah, best you give up on me Soarin’. Go… go date Surprise or someone actually your rank. I’m… yeah, I’m not who you should be dating really.”

God, she thought to herself. This hurt. She wanted to date Soarin’, she really did. But he was one too many ranks below her for it not to be against the rules. If either of their superiors found out… Yeah, Rainbow was probably in deep enough trouble as it is. Best not to dig herself any deeper, really.

“Hey, you alright?” Soarin’ asked as they managed to pull themselves away from the dance floor, and back to the bar.

“No, of course I’m not alright. I just smashed my own heart to a pulp, and now…” Rainbow sniffled gesturing for a cola.

“No, it’s something else,” Soarin’ said, sitting down next to her. “You look like you’ve been about to bolt all evening. Alright, just because we can’t date right now doesn’t mean-”

“You’re still going to keep on holding out hope?” Rainbow asked with a small bitter laugh.

“It’s all I can do, right?” Soarin’ asked. “Now go on, tell me what’s bothering you. Not the dating thing, as we’ve pretty much well established that bit, but the other thing.”

“It’s… well, ever since I wrecked the Asis I’ve been getting… looks. You’ve probably missed them, but ever since I got back to base? Well, everyone’s been giving me a wide berth. Never mind the fact that I wasn’t even the main person at fault here, it was Lawson who forgot to properly fuel his own craft!” Rainbow ranted. Unknown to her, her hands started to give off a faint light. Soarin’s eyes drifted down to them, but it was only for a brief moment before the glow stopped.

“...but because I’m a woman, I have to be the one to shoulder the blame!”

“No, it’s not that,” Soarin’ said, trying to figure out how to put this without coming off as an asshole. “If it was me or Silver Zoom we’d have gotten the same looks as well. We’re trusted to keep those craft in the air, and when we don’t…”

“So you’re saying it’s still my fault, is that it?” Rainbow seethed.

“I know, it’s not fair. But the higher-ups never get charged with anything,” Soarin’ grumbled. “It’s always the grunts who get it. Then again, maybe I’m only speculating. Maybe if Lawson had been the one to crash his own plane, he’d be the one getting the looks. Point being, someone has to shoulder the blame of crashing the prototype.”

“...and it has to be me,” Rainbow sighed. “You’ve sure got a way of making a gal feel better about herself, you know that right?”

Before either could say anything more, there came another problem. A problem named Lightning Dust, drunk as a skunk and letting just about everyone in the vicinity know about it.

“So, yeah, she gets to go up in the plane, and yet I don’t,” Lightning rambled and Rainbow’s shoulders sank. Of course, Lightning’s now infamous ego had come out to play. “I mean, what does she have to offer that I don’t? The skank! Who’d she screw anyways to get her lucky shot? Her boss? Cause… cause pretty sure that there’s rules and laws against it!”

Fleetfoot, thankfully saw where this was going and shared a nod with Surprise. Together, they tried to head this off at the pass before it got any worse.

“Alright, I think you’ve had enough, Lightning,” Fleetfoot said, placing a firm hand on her friend’s shoulders. Surprise pulled up a barstool, gently guiding Lightning to it. “Now, you want to sit down for a moment? I’ll call you a cab, please just don’t embarrass yourself any further.”

“Embarrass… embarrass myself?” Lightning slurred and almost immediately Fleetfoot knew she’d said the wrong thing. “Only one who’s embarrassing herself is Rainbow Crash Dash. Did… did any of you here know she got in a fight with Fleetfoot on one of her first days of boot camp? Mud-wrestled her, straight to the ground. Oooh, I’d have loved to have seen that, probably was hella sexy!”

“She’s right,” Surprise said. “You’ve had enough Light-”

The crowd gasped as Surprise went down in a blur of motion, holding her now bleeding nose.

“That’s enough!” Rainbow shouted as she wrestled Lightning to the ground.

“Oh, look, you’re trying to play hero? Stick up for your friends?” Lightning continued. “Bet your boyfriend really likes that, turns him on ri-”

Rainbow’s fist shot out, but to her surprise, she sent Lightning all the way across the room to a chorus of gasps. She crashed into the DJ’s mixing booth, and Rainbow looked at her now glowing hands in surprise.

Surprise acted fast even as Fleetfoot dialed 911. “Alright folks, nothing to see here, move along now! It’s just a scene from a movie we’re doing, that’s all!”

“What… what did I do…?” Rainbow asked herself, as her hands crackled and burned. Soarin’s eyes widened and he breathed out a single word.

“...Rainbow?”


And if the night couldn’t get any more dramatic, well the Mandarin begged to differ.

“Dear Mrs. Robinson, your boy died today
He died a brave man far away…” said the Mandarin across screens all over the US, from the barroom to even the White House, a snippet of a certain Alabama 3 song playing in the background to improve the narrative. “Isn’t that how it goes? The song? Makes a good point, doesn’t it? Because really, is Afghanistan all that different from Vietnam? Make up an excuse, go to war in some far-off country and drop a few hundred bombs. Ruin a couple thousand lives, destroy a few towns. America, the land of the brave and the free, right? So what does that make the rest of the world?”

People talked and the White House worried, just as the Mandarin wanted. On the screen behind him, scenes of warfare were shown. Explosions, soldiers on the march, and gunfire in bombed out houses.

The Mandarin cradled a rifle on the screen. “Lovely instrument of destruction isn’t it? Used by everyone and their mother. Russians really knew their stuff. But back to the lesson. 20 years in Vietnam, and coming up on 20 years in Afghanistan. Want to make it 30, America? Improve upon your previous failure? What are you really fighting for? Ask yourself that. Is it worth it, all of this death and destruction?”

He gave a little smirk, as even up on Capitol Hill a certain President Madison Mare watched in ever-growing rage and anger as her country and choices were insulted by this… this madman!

“So, is it? Is all of this death and taxpayer dollars really worth shoving your weight around? Mhmm, it’s not my place to judge. It’s the American public’s. I’m just a teacher, not a courtroom judge. But this is my lesson. See, there’s plenty of factories where you make your weapons of war. Consider me removing a few of them a little favor to you. Less weapons of war, less lives to be ruined. Oh, I’m sure you’ll rebuild, of course you will. But this should keep you out of some innocent lives for a bit, and that’s all I really want.”

Across the nation, tank and helicopter factories were each given little gifts. Soon, blazes spread across their grounds and smoke choked out their interiors. Workers burned to death, and ashes rose high into the night sky.

“Don’t worry Madison, my lessons are soon to end, but a word to the wise. Your little Detroit Steel? He won’t be able to stop me, and actually don’t send him after me. I’d hate to rob some innocent family of their father…”

Author's Note:

Okay, so yeah the obligatory romantic drama that comes with every Marvel story. First off, want to give a huge shout out to The Final Firedancing Fiend for helping to clarify how the internal fraternization bit works.

Also, I got a few questions. Does the romance feel... forced, or awkward, or anything like that?

Also, the Mandarin. My proofreader remarked that he feels whiny or too ranty right now, I was personally going for creepy with a side of thought-provoking. Did I do that right, or is Red right?

Please, give me your thoughts and comments below.