• Published 20th May 2020
  • 1,309 Views, 75 Comments

Rainbow Dash: Aerial Avenger - The Bricklayer



Rainbow 'Crash' Dash, that's what they called her. But an accident changed all that, and now she finds herself with new powers. New powers that are a real marvel... (SoarinDash)

  • ...
10
 75
 1,309

Mare-Vel Adventures #2: The Obligatory Backstory Issue

“I have to ask,” Philip Lawson said as he sat down beside Soarin’ and Rarity in the reception area. His mind was still a blur from what he’d seen in that room, Rainbow bathed in gold light and floating several feet above her bed. It reminded him of that movie he’d seen once, just less creepy. “...how did… No, that’s not right. Why did Rainbow join the US Air Force?”

“She said it was just because she wanted to fly free, in the skies above,” Soarin’ answered with a small little shrug. “I never questioned it, seemed like a good enough answer to me, right?”

“Dear, then she’s not telling you everything,” Rarity shook her head. “There’s more to it than that. I assume you’ve heard of Captain America?”

Soarin’ gave her a flat ‘are you kidding me’ type of look.

“That’s a dumb question, of course I’ve heard of Captain America,” Soarin said before humming a little tune. “...Who'll give the Axis the sack and is smart as a fox? Who's making Adolf afraid to step out of his box?” Everyone’s heard of Captain America.”

“Well, Rainbow Dash had quite a fond admiration for Captain America. Though I’ll admit it wasn’t as much as her dreams of wanting to be in the Air Force, she at least let us know that they were their favorite superhero as far as she was concerned. In fact, I think Stars and Spangles probably played a part in making her want to join the military,” Rarity went on. “Though I don’t know about you, I saw the appeal more in the Star Sapphires more than anything. The ability to create hard-light manifestations of anything is something to die for.”

Helped kept her mind off things as well, Rarity thought.

“...You’d just want to create diamonds to adorn your dresses, wouldn’t you?” Soarin’ deadpanned. He decided against mentioning that more often than not, the Star Sapphires’ rings brainwashed their users.

Rarity blushed at Soarin’. “You know me far too well, darling. Yes, I admit that having a ring like that would work wonders for my latest line, but still, I’m no superhuman. I just have to make do with what I have.”

“We’re getting off-topic,” Philip said. “So, Rarity, is it? You’re saying Captain America is the reason why Rainbow wanted to join the US Air Force?”

“Oh yes, quite,” Rarity nodded. “Rainbow’s always been quite the little patriot. You should see her at Independence Day celebrations! Why there was one time that… well, I suppose you don’t need to know about that, mhmm?”

Soarin’ looked curious but decided not to pry. Another time, then.

Rarity’s phone let out a little ping. “Oh dear, that’d be Fluttershy. She and Rainbow’s parents are on the way. Brace yourself.”

“B-Brace myself?” Philip asked in confusion. “Why would I want to…?”

Both Rarity and Soarin’ gave him a look of sympathy. Soarin rubbed his forehead, feeling a headache coming on. He said: “You’ve obviously never met Rainbow’s parents have you?”

The front door opened, revealing Fluttershy reassuring an older couple. The male had faint traces of rainbow hair. Huh, Philip had always thought Rainbow had dyed it that way. Apparently not.

“N-Now, I’m sure Rainbow’s just fine,” Fluttershy nervously stammered out holding her hands up in a calm reassuring manner.

“Oh, of course, she is. She’s part of the Air Force now, isn’t she?” The male spoke with a boisterous, jolly tone of voice. “Our little superhero, Rainbow Dash. Gone from playing with toy planes to flying real ones! Oh, I’ve never been so proud…” A small semblance of a tear crept out of his eye socket.

“You didn’t tell them?” Rarity leaned over to Soarin’.

“...I thought that was your job,” Soarin’ said before his voice turned to a low whisper. “What was I supposed to tell them? ‘Oh, hi Mr. and Mrs. Dash. Your daughter’s been involved in a horrific plane crash and was caught in the engine’s explosion.’ Yeah, bright idea. Give the poor woman a heart attack.”

“I just told them the basics, that Rainbow was in the hospital,” Rarity whispered. “Didn’t want to give Windy a heart attack. Oh dear, I just remembered. ...someone’s looking after Scootaloo right?”

“Fleetfoot’s been keeping an eye on her, hopefully, she won’t blab,” Soarin’ said. Inwardly, he doubted she would. Fleetfoot was many things, but stupid wasn’t one of them. He got up off his chair.

“Where’s my daughter,” Windy shouted. “Where’s my Dashie, I want to know what’s happened to her!”

“Mr. and Mrs. Dash,” Soarin’ said. “Pleasure to see you again, just wish it was under better circumstances.”

“H-hi!” Windy Whistles awkwardly waved at Soarin’ as she took a few steps forward. She had to admit that she felt exceptionally out of place speaking to someone from the Air Force. Many different topics for conversation ran through her head, but first and foremost was her daughter’s welfare. “How is Rainbow Dash?” Windy finally asked.

“Well, ah, this might be hard for you to take but…” Soarin’ said, looking at a loss to explain. He turned to Philip and Rarity and mouthed ‘help’.

“Doctor Philip Lawson, Division of Military Science,” Lawson said as he walked up, shaking both of their hands. Fluttershy looked at the handsome man, before blushing and stopping herself. “Earlier today, at a little past 18:00 hours, your daughter and I were on a test flight and sadly, the fueling process hadn’t quite been completed. My fault, I admit. We crash-landed in the lakes just west of here. Rainbow pulled me out, but then… The engine exploded and Rainbow was caught up in it. We managed to save her life, but we don’t know when she’ll wake up. When, not if. When.”

“So it’s not fatal?” Windy Whistles let out a massive exhale as a huge weight was taken off of her shoulders. “Oh, thank goodness. I couldn’t have bared to see my baby be taken away like that…”

“...I was expecting more crying, honestly,” Soarin’ mumbled before he let out a little yelp of pain. Evidently, Rarity had heard the comment and twisted his ear ever so slightly. “G-g-g-gah! Alright, alright, I give! I’m sorry about that!” He whispered while trying to beat Rarity’s arm to release his ear.

“Can we see her?” Bow asked, and Philip considered it for a moment before nodding. He gestured for them to follow.

As the small group reached Rainbow’s room, Philip gestured for the two men in suits to leave. “I should warn you, there are things that-”

“We can handle it,” Bow said tight-lipped. Lawson nodded, before nervously opening the door. To his surprise, he found Rainbow back in her bed. No glow, no floating. He let out a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding. One less explanation, at least for the moment.

“Rainbow…” Windy breathed, stroking her daughter’s head. She watched the slow rise and fall of her chest. “Last time we were in a hospital like this, you’d just been born. Funny that.”


31 years ago...

Windy Whistles laid on a bed, legs splayed out far apart as every muscle in her body tensed up. She was constantly having to take breaths. Sweat was running down her forehead, and her belly so huge that it was almost like a balloon ready to burst. She was about to deliver her baby. Bow Hothoof was holding her hand as much as he could, while a group of qualified midwives stood around her to make sure that the delivery was a success; one of them standing right at the area where her legs met.

“GOOD GOD, DOES IT ALWAYS HURT LIKE THIS?!” Windy screamed in agony as she tried her hardest to push out the baby. Her pitch had climbed so high that it was almost like she was another person entirely.

“Come on, honey. You’re almost there. Just stay with me, alright?” Bow gave his advice as he wrapped his hands around his wife’s hand. “Just a few more pushes and this will all be over. We’ll finally have our baby. Just stay calm.”

“Stay calm? How in the nine hells am I supposed to stay calm with all this pain?!” Windy writhed in agony as she pushed once again, having to take multiple deep breaths in the middle of it. When the breathing beats stopped, she addressed Bow again. “I don’t know about you, Bow, but this is the worst kind of pain I’ve ever had in my entire life!”

“You’re doing great, Mrs. Whistles,” one of the nurses commented as she held Windy’s other hand. “Just keep on pushing for us. Soon, this will all be over.”

“Y-yeah… But no real promises, alright?” She looked into the midwife’s eyes with tears in her own. This pain was overwhelming every other sensation and feeling in her body. “All for the baby. All… for the baby.” She took another set of breaths and pushed out again, wailing as high-pitched as she could as the pain returned. Every single part of her hurt, and her body even twitched in places, but she knew that she had to keep on going, that this would only stop if she pushed out hard enough. So, buckling down and taking another set of breaths, she gave it all of the effort that she could, and with one final scream and push, it all came to an end.

The midwife by her legs reached into Windy Whistles and finally pulled out a newborn baby, still with its umbilical cord attached to Windy’s insides. Even despite the overwhelming noise that Windy had been making, the baby was still sleeping peacefully in the midwife’s hands. “Congratulations, Mrs. Whistles. It’s a beautiful girl,” she finally said as she held the baby up to Windy and Bow.

“She’s… she’s beautiful…” Windy whispered holding her daughter close. “Look Bow, she even has your hair!”

“Aww… she does, doesn’t she?” Bow brushed his hand across the baby’s tiny tufts of hair as gently as she could. “The prettiest rainbow I’ve ever seen in all my life, isn’t it?”

“Rainbow. That’s perfect.” Windy finally cradled her baby close to her chest. “I’ve got just the perfect name for you. Rainbow Dash.”

And with that, the baby gently twitched its arm and planted it on Windy’s face, lightly smacking its lips together and moaning something softly as it nuzzled into her new mother’s body. She didn’t understand it yet, but this woman was going to be one of the most important things in her life.


“...and look at you, you’ve grown up to be so strong,” Windy whispered. “Bet you never imagined you’d be where you are now five to ten years from when you were born. Hell, we never imagined it!”

“You okay, Mrs. Dash?” Philip said.

“Please, call me Windy,” Windy said. “You saved my daughter’s life, so you’re at least entitled to that. Careful Soarin’, if you don’t snatch up my daughter, this one might!”

“Madam!” Soarin’ said with a bright blush, stammering up a storm. “I… I don’t think the Air Force actually allows internal fraternization! The Captain would have my head!”

“Mhmm, shame really,” Windy said trying not to look at her daughter, just lying there possibly never to wake. “You’re her kind of man. Kind, gentle, understanding. I’ve seen you babysit my granddaughter, you’re good with kids as well. I’ve seen the way Rainbow looks at you. If that ain’t love honey, then I don’t know what is. Take it from someone who’s married, love is something that can pass you by in the blink of an eye and unless you don’t seize your chance… Well!”

Here, she leaned into Bow’s chest, nuzzling into him. Bow ran his fingers through his wife’s shockingly red hair, kissing the top of her head.

“Come on Dash,” Fluttershy whispered just watching the slow boop boop boop of the heart monitor. Every second felt like agony, not knowing if Dash would wake up. Maybe Philip had been lying. Being nice. “Wake up. Captain America wouldn’t want you to lay here like this, so…”


19 years ago: Washington DC, The Smithsonian.

“...Welcome to the Smithsonian. Visitor information booths are available on the second level.” a woman over the PA said.

Rainbow Dash, now twelve years old and wearing a loose-fitting blue dress, wandered into the titanic Smithsonian museum with Windy Whistles and Bow Hothoof. She was now large enough to the point where she was almost as high as their torsos, yet still much smaller than they were. But that wasn’t the reason why she was here. Instead, she was here for one thing and one thing only; the Captain America exhibit. There was an ACTUAL exhibit being made for the greatest superhero ever made, and she just had to go and see it.

“Where do you think it’ll be, mom and dad?” Rainbow asked as she tugged on their hands with energy. She had been exceptionally stoked about this trip with her parents; so much so that she had to let every single man, woman, and child around her know about it in the days leading up to this one.

“Just right this way dear,” Windy said as Dash began to race ahead of her parents. Windy pulled her back. “Now now, don’t worry. The exhibit will still be there when we get there. It’s not going to be leaving any time soon.”

“You sure? I don’t know much about museums and stuff, but I’m pretty sure that there’s gonna be a ton of people there. And a lot of ‘em are gonna surround all the cool stuff. I wanna get there before all the awesome stuff gets totally cramped by everyone else,” said Rainbow.

Bow ruffled her hair. “Hey, I can’t blame you for being excited. It’s Captain America! But I don’t want you to get lost okay?” he said kneeling down next to her. “It’s a big museum, and mommy and daddy don’t want to lose you.”

“Ah, c’mon! I won’t get lost, mom,” Rainbow just scoffed cheekily and tipped her arm dismissively. “I’m not gonna get lost. I’m just gonna stay at that exhibit the second I find it. Ya won’t be losin’ me any time soon.”

“But just to be on the safe side. Besides, would Captain America want you to leave your dear old dad behind?” Bow asked.

“Not a chance.” Rainbow shook her head. “Cap’s probably got their own family. Cap would hate to leave them behind or put ‘em in danger like that.”

Eventually, they reached the exhibit. It couldn’t be any more American unless it had a slice of mom’s apple pie and the Star-Spangled Banner playing. Reds, whites, and blues decorated the exhibit, and in the middle of it all? Mannequins depicting the Captain and the now legendary Howling Commandos.

Above the mannequins, a quote from the late Dr. Abharam Erskine. The man who would be credited with inventing the legendary serum that would create Captain America: A subtle, but moving tribute to the late scientist, killed in an Axis attack. “You must promise me one thing: that you will stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier... but a good man.”

Rainbow knew all of the names of the Commandos, of course. What true Captain America fan didn’t?

Sergeant James Buchanan ‘Bucky’ Barnes.

Corporal Tim ‘Dum Dum’ Dugan.

Lieutenant and Lord James Montgomery Falsworth.

Jacques Dernier.

Private Jim ‘Jimmy’ Morita.

And finally, Gabriel ‘Gabe’ Jones.

A narrator was speaking over the voices of the bustling crowd, telling the Captain America story: “A symbol to the nation. A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honor, bravery, and sacrifice. Denied enlistment due to poor health, Captain America was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform them into the world's first super-soldier…”

All around the exhibit, old wartime footage was displayed. Nothing too violent, but enough for you to get the general idea of just who Captain America was.

“..wow…” Rainbow breathed out even as the narrator continued.

“Battle-tested, Captain America and the Howling Commandos quickly earned their stripes. Their mission? Taking down HYDRA, the Nazis’ mad science division. Most fearsome of all was their opponent, the Red Skull: Johann Schmidt. Their campaign against the Red Skull may have quickly turned the tide of the War, Hitler ordering new Wunderwaffens and driving Germany to the brink of bankruptcy all in fear of the Allies’ new super-soldier.”

“Were they that scared of Captain America, dad?” Rainbow asked in a low whisper.

“Apparently so, Rainbow,” Bow said, remembering a story from his father. Rainbow’s Grandfather, Rainbow Blaze. He and his men had been bogged down in a terrible blizzard in the French Alps and were surely about to be killed by Nazi snipers. Then, from out of nowhere Captain America appeared, the famous shield being used to deflect shots and cover Blaze and his men’s escape.

Without Captain America… well, his daughter probably never would have been born. Bow would forever hold a debt to the legendary soldier for that.

“...were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country.” a narrator said as the family passed Bucky’s section of the exhibit, a solemn little tribute to the legendary sniper.

To Bow’s surprise, he saw his grandmother on another section of the exhibit. He raced off, Windy and Rainbow sharing a confused look as they followed. “That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half our battalion behind the German line. The Captain and the Commandos, they fought their way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. They saved over a thousand men, including the man who would… who would become my husband as it turned out. Even after they died, the Captain was still changing my life,” said the woman, Agent Peggy Carter.

“Wait… is that grandma?” Rainbow whispered and Bow nodded. “...so the Captain saved my grandpa?”

“Yes, Captain America did just that,” Bow nodded. “I wanted you to see this exhibit, not just because of how big of a fan of the Captain I know you are, but because of this.”

“I want to be like Captain America when I grow up. Be a soldier, and save lives,” Rainbow whispered as she turned her gaze back to the Captain’s uniform. Bow smiled at her, Windy just looking concerned.

“That you will dear, I’m sure you will.” Bow said.


“Remember dear?” Bow said. “That you thought our daughter becoming a soldier wasn’t a good idea? It wasn’t her killing people that you disapproved of, it was you knowing what kind of challenges she’d face. Being a woman, you… worried that she’d be treated as inferior to the others.”

Soarin’ knew why Windy was so worried. As Spitfire and Fleetfoot could attest, Rainbow being in the Air Force would not be easy for her. He remembered her first day of boot camp all too well…


It was basic training, that’s when Rainbow got her first taste of how bad it’d be. She was climbing from rope to rope, several feet off the ground. Her signature hair was done up in a ponytail, shining in the sun.

Voices shouted below her, one male, in particular, being a standout. Hoops, aka her and Fluttershy’s old school bully before Sunset Shimmer came along. “You don't belong out here! You're not strong enough! You'll kill yourself!”

Rainbow ignored him, swinging to the next rope, her face visibly strained. But even as she slid down the second rope -the ground rushing up to meet her- she wouldn’t give Hoops the satisfaction of seeing her weakness.

Dust and dirt flew as Rainbow hit the sand, groaning in pain.

“They'll never let you fly!” Hoops said. “If you can’t climb those ropes, what good are you?”

Rainbow spat in his face to a chorus of low ‘oooooohhhs’. She picked herself up off the ground, and grabbed the rope, before pulling herself up it.

“She’s too emotional,” Soarin’ muttered from the crowd as Rainbow clambered up the rope, inch by inch. She grabbed at each section with a noticeable hint of frustration and rage. “If she keeps this up…”

Rainbow reached out and grabbed the next rope, and the next. A low chorus of gasps echoed from the crowd below.

“You were saying?” Spitfire said from beside him, though if this question was directed at him or Hoops, Soarin’ couldn’t honestly tell.

Hoops let out a snarl and a sharp curse before he and his buddies stomped off. Spitfire sighed, if you asked her the only people who weren’t supposed to make it were those idiots.

Rainbow leaped off the final rope and landed on the ground, barely looking winded. From nearby, Fleetfoot murmured: “Show-off.”

She had to laugh when Rainbow in a rare moment of clumsiness tripped and her face met tree.

“Look at that, Rainbow Dash? More like Rainbow Crash!” Fleetfoot mocked and soon a chorus of laughter sprang up around the crowd. The name stuck. If Rainbow ever got into a plane, well that would be her call sign.

Rainbow let out a low growl, even here she couldn’t escape that damn nickname. But she didn’t let her annoyance show other than a slight grimace. They didn’t mean anything by it, they didn’t know the history. How clumsy she used to be and how Hoops and Score used to love mocking her with that name.

Besides, pilots got embarrassing call signs all the time right? And if she could look past this, well… she’d show them all.

Of course, the day's events were far from over. Rainbow was walking back to her barracks when suddenly she was dragged into a dark corner.

“Hoops, Score,” Rainbow said as she found herself surrounded. “Look, guys, if you want to go after chicks, pretty sure this isn’t the way to do it. Your mothers know where you are this time of night?”

“Shut up Crash!” Hoops shouted.

“Oooh, name-calling,” Rainbow said. “Real mature. Of course, you neanderthals probably don’t have all the higher brain functions figured out.”

Wasn’t really professional of her, Rainbow knew, but damn if that jibe didn’t feel good. What happened next was all really a blur really. One moment Rainbow found herself shoved up against a wall, and the next she was lying on the ground with Hoops and Scores above her. They held locks of her hair in one hand, and a knife in the other.

In an act of extraordinary pettiness, they’d cut off almost all of her ponytail, leaving an ugly little piece just barely hanging on. Hoops and Score tossed the hair locks at her, before walking off laughing. Rainbow glared at them, before walking off to her barracks hoping nobody had seen.

As soon as she got to her quarters, she went into the bathroom and let out a choking sob. All of the day's events had finally caught up with her. Sliding down against the wall, she let the tears flow.

“Rainbow, are you alright?” Soarin’ said from outside the bathroom door. “It’s me and Spitfire. Spits, she… she saw Hoops and Score laughing about something, they mentioned you. So I thought I’d…”

“SHUT UP!” Rainbow said before choking back another sob. “I don’t want to see you right now.”

“But I…” Soarin’ started.

“Oh, don’t give me that. You were mocking me along with those two bastards. I heard you. Too emotional, right?”

Soarin’ flinched, so she had heard that. Spitfire glared at him from behind, her eyes boring into the back of Soarin’s skull. His shoulders slumped. Rainbow was right, he was an ass.

“...I was wrong, I’m sorry. I’m a jerk,” he said softly. “But are you really going to let those two idiots get you down? I knew you back in high school, Rainbow. You didn’t let anyone get you down, and you’re sure not going to start now are you?”

Rainbow nodded softly. “No… I’m not.”

“Now open the door, let me and Spits see how bad it is okay?” Soarin’ said kindly before Rainbow opened the door. Spitfire’s fists clenched at the sight.

“Bastards…” she muttered. “I’ll report them to the base commander, no way in hell they’re getting away with this.”

“Here,” Soarin’ said, helping his comrade up. “I know it looks bad, but I grew up with several sisters. I learned how to handle hair, and how to cut it. I think I might be able to salvage some of this.”

In hindsight, Rainbow knew that was the moment she probably fell head over heels for him.

Rainbow showed up that next day with a new haircut, almost resembling a mohawk in some regards. A bit boyish, but spunky and actually sorta practical given it wouldn’t get in the way.

“Whooo, looking good Crash!” Fleetfoot said. “Keep this up, and you actually might start to be cool!”

Rainbow simply just flipped her off. “Block it out, block it out. She doesn’t know the history behind it...”

The jokes continued all throughout the day. A few even joked about if Rainbow had suddenly changed gender, not helped at all by her admittedly boyish figure. Rainbow had always considered it lean, like a swimmer’s body but it didn’t gift her with really great breasts. Something she got no end of grief about, sadly.

Thankfully, some of the nastier jokes were soon shut down with looks from both another pilot -Surprise, who Rainbow swore was related to Pinks- and of all people, Fleetfoot. Huh, guess she wasn’t a total bitch after all, Rainbow thought to herself.

The clouds burst that day during a good long run, and Fleetfoot cackled: “On your left!” as she raced by Rainbow. That just spurred her on even harder.

Rainbow was catching up to Fleetfoot, the mud not even bogging either woman down.

“You’re like a little photon, aren’t you Flatfoot!” Rainbow teased. “Quick on your feet and with your mouth!”

“Oh shut it Crash,” Fleetfoot said. “Just because you’ve got your new ‘do, it doesn’t mean you get to be all high and mighty!”

“Alright, what’s your problem?” Rainbow shouted as the two unwittingly took a tumble into the mud being covered with the stuff. And I do mean covered. Their hair, their jogging uniforms, everything. “Ever since I got here, you’ve been like this!”

“It’s called hazing, you idiot!” Fleetfoot shouted, wiping away some of the mud before Rainbow tackled her back into it.

“There’s hazing and then there’s being a bitch Flatfoot!” Rainbow snarled, before Fleetfoot socked her.

Shrugging, she said: “Not my fault you can’t take it.”

“You want to know why I can’t ‘take it’?” Rainbow shouted rubbing her jaw, fighting back the urge to sock Fleetfoot in return. “That name was given to me by Hoops and Score! That name tormented me throughout childhood! But I moved on. And now it’s fucking back thanks to you!”

“Alright, so I messed up, I get that,” Fleetfoot said. “But how was I supposed to know? You didn’t say a word to anybody about this! And anyway, seems like you didn’t move on at all. You’re still getting into a hissy fit over what’s a fairly dumb nickname anyways. Hell, it’s pretty damn tame compared to some of ours, like good old Shitfire. So shut up, and suck it up.”

Rainbow was struck silent. After all, Fleetfoot was exactly right. She hadn’t moved on at all. She was supposed to be all grown up, and mature. And yet here she was getting into a mud wrestling match with her future wing mate over it.

“You done?” Fleetfoot asked as she helped Rainbow up.

“...yeah, I’m done,” Rainbow muttered rather ashamed of herself.

“Good, now while I can’t promise I’ll ever be friends with you Cr… Dash, I’ll try to tone it down a notch.”

“And… And I’ll be a bit less of a brat about that nickname, Flatfoot.”

“Oh, shut up Crash.”


Rainbow still slept soundly on through the night. Her parents and friends had long since fallen asleep as well.

Her dreams were full of weird visions, things she couldn’t quite make sense of. They were of worlds beyond the stars. Beyond Earth. In them, she saw things she couldn’t understand. Two great armies, fighting for control over the galaxy.

A soldier’s weapons shifted, from that of twin swords to a massive laser cannon that blew away enemy forces. Green elf-like aliens were swept away and then incinerated before her very eyes.

Rainbow knew she had to do something, and charged forwards letting out a yell. “STOP!”

Soon, her feet had left the ground as Rainbow found herself running over the side of a cliff. But amazingly, she didn’t fall. No, she flew. No craft to speak of. She felt like Superman. She had the power to stop this. And then her whole world was bathed in a golden glow...

She shot up like a rocket and rubbed her eyes. Oh, okay. What was that glow? Was that… oh, okay, yeah, now she remembered. The explosion! Lawson!

She had to get out of here!

“Ugh…” Rainbow moaned as she tried to climb out of her bed. Wait, why was everything so… sterile? Oh, of course. She was in the hospital. And if she survived that explosion then…

“Lawson…” Rainbow whispered as she turned her head to spy the military scientist. And Rarity, and Soarin; and Flutters and… “Mom, dad?”

Rainbow smiled, wiping away a tear. Poking her mother in the shoulder, before giving her a gentle little shake. Her mom let out a soft little moan as she stirred. Her eyes soon shot wide awake.

“Rainbow…” her mother whispered before practically tackling her daughter in a hug.

“It’s okay mom, I’m here. I’m awake, I’m alive…” Rainbow said as her mother sobbed into her shoulder. “I promise, I’ll never scare you like that again. Ever.”

Author's Note:

Okay, so I was told I rushed past some of the more boring bits. I accept that criticism.

Now, a few things. Not as many things to go over as last time, but a few. One, the gender neutral pronouns for the Cap. If, and this is a very big if, I do a sequel, it'll allow me to stick whoever I want inside the suit. Fair enough right?

Also, a huge shout out to Shadowmane for taking the time out of his life to help me with Bow and Windy. I cannot write those two for the life of me.

Is Captain America being the inspiration for Rainbow's career strictly needed? Probably not, no, but I thought it was a nice little touch. Also, I do want to know, did I go too far in boot camp? One of the problems I did have with Carol's film debut was how much of it felt like a feminist power fantasy -not my words- and some of the backstory was kinda cringy.

...and yet I go and top it for my piece. YMMV.