• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 1,246 Views, 191 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2 - MLPSolarDash1907



After fighting off a lion, Mystic discovers a plan to invade the land of Equestria. Deciding to travel there, she's unaware she'll run into six familiar faces. In the Crystal Empire, Starlight is looking into spell hypotheses and wants to crack them.

  • ...
5
 191
 1,246

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14 - Stopping the invasion

The trip was silent with the Mane Six, Hong, and Mystic. Flash carried Mystic on his back as she did her best to avoid eye contact with Hong. The general did glance at Mystic once in a while but didn’t maintain the look for long. Nopony else has seen anything and they’re roughly fifty miles into their search.

Soon, the army will get down low and make sure they’re not seen too easily. The soldiers on the ground were keeping up pace as they stomped in columns through the forests below. Hong glanced at Rarity, Pinkie, and Applejack in the back seat of his chariot.

“So, you ponies seem like an unlikely group to save this land multiple times,” he said.

Applejack turned to look at him, “Uh, yeah, we are.” She rubbed the back of her neck.

“But we do it swimmingly!” Pinkie beamed.

“Oh, yes, while it is overwhelming at times, we always managed to pull through together as friends,” remarked Rarity.

“I see,” said Hong, “Everypony must think you’re some kind of superheroes, right?”

Rarity and Applejack chuckled while Pinkie let out a laugh.

“Oh, we’re just ponies like everypony else, only saving Equestria multiple times,” Rarity giggled, “Superheroes, please.”

“Well, it sure seemed like it on the Canterlot stained glass,” replied Hong.

“But please, it’s just an honor to be regular ponies whilst making a great example for all Equestria,” said Applejack.

Hong nodded and turned his body a bit to face them, “Have any of you encountered where you had to...I don’t know, kill somecreature?”

The three ponies’ eyes got as wide as saucers, they hadn’t expected that question, yet Hong was just asking a question.

“I... I don’t believe so?” Rarity managed to say.

“Yeeeaahhhh,” said Pinkie, “Killing isn’t something we do.”

“So, you’ve not killed anycreature?” asked Hong, his eyes curious.

“No, there have to be other ways,” said Applejack.

“What if you don’t have a choice?”

“But-but we’re just regular ponies!” cried Rarity, “We can’t just...”

“But are national heroes, as a general speaking on his entire army, we have to arm ourselves. If not, we open ourselves to death. And you seem extraordinarily lucky if you haven’t killed anycreature.”

“We’re not barbarians!” cried Rarity, “No offense, but I am a fashion designer, Pinkie’s a party planner, and Applejack’s a farmer! We can’t kill!”

“The world is a dangerous place,” Hong said, gritting his teeth, trying to keep himself under control, “These aren’t changelings or any other wild beasts you’ve encountered.”

“But it’s no fun to kill anything!” cried Pinkie, forming a bit of a distraught look.

“These are pony-eating lions from a wild, untamed land, have you seen any lions before?” Hong went on.

“Well...” Applejack started but then trailed off, she tried to think of an answer, “We’ve encountered some manticores and griffons that have lion parts.”

“But these lions are much more barbaric than what you know of,” said Hong, “Lions are very territory creatures, take no prisoners, and are very coordinated in their attacks.” His look hardened some, “I’ve seen some lions before, and when they attack and kill, it’s not a pretty sight to behold. Their armor is magic reflective and they can get around without being seen for the most part.”

“Whoa,” Applejack’s eyes widened, “Magic reflective armor?”

“Yes, and that’s why we have swords, spears, and other weapons to get them, you don’t have a choice other to kill them or let them kill you.”

Rarity’s mouth began opening and closing coherently, trying to get words out.

“And you can try to object all you want, but the world isn’t all sunshine and rainbows like you’re used to, it’s either you or them.”

“But we haven’t got the guts to do something like that!” Rarity cried.

“Well, then you’re dead. Simple as that.”

“Now, general, could you...” Applejack started but Hong cut her off.

“Why? Am I wrong, Applejack?” he asked simply. “Have there seriously been zero deaths in all the time you’ve saved Equestria?”

Applejack paused. Her eyes slightly widened when she remembered King Sombra and the Storm King. Both weren’t willing to stop and talk things out and both had to be taken out. To top it off, Spike saved her from the large timberwolf when her hoof was stuck under a rock.

“Ah, so I am right,” said Hong, “You have seen creatures killed, huh?”

Applejack didn’t reply, but she slowly nodded.

“There you have it,” Hong stated, “Even in your world, you can’t stop them any other way.”

“There should’ve been a better choice,” said Rarity, her lips trembling some.

“Are you really trying to hold onto false hope?” Hong glared at her, “Face it, sometimes it’s either kill or be killed in this world.”

“That’s not fair,” Pinkie said a little sadly.

“Life isn’t fair at times.”

“Even if we do kill, we always hope we don’t have to or even use weapons,” said Applejack, she looked him dead in the eye, “What about you, Hong? Do you not like killing things?”

Hong paused his expression still a bit hard. Rarity did her best calming down as this conversation shook her up a little, Pinkie placed a comforting hoof on her withers and smiled sadly. Hong rubbed his chin as if in thought, but he turned back around to look at where they’re heading.

“Let’s just focus on the mission,” he said, “Just remember what I told you.”

Applejack’s eyes widened in shock at the implication just given to her. She looked over at Rarity and Pinkie whose eyes were filled with horror as well. They apparently knew what was just implied and they didn’t like it one bit.

“Vulture sighting!” a voice rang out.

“Where?!” Hong barked, looking around rapidly.

“Eleven o clock!”

“Seize it!”

The pegasus soldier took off like a bullet after the white-backed vulture as it tried to outfly him. Rainbow, Flash, Twilight, and Mystic watched him go and...

“Another one!” another voice rang out. The three ponies looked and saw yet another soldier going after it, “No two!”

“Get them all!” Hong ordered, “We can’t have them going back to where they’re heading!”

“Soldiers on the ground hold!” Flash ordered. The soldiers on the ground immediately stopped but maintained their columns and eyes wide open.

Rarity watched with wide eyes as the soldiers flew towards the three vultures, they were faster than them so the vultures were caught with no problem. But the pegasi had to heavily restrain one as it tried to flap its powerful wings and peck at them, but other pegasi soldiers came to their aid and tied them up. A beam of magic shot out and a fourth vulture that had nearly gotten away got struck by it, injuring it and making it fall into the trees below. An order was given by a soldier and three unicorns went to retrieve it.

“Oh my,” Fluttershy marveled. “I hope the vultures will be okay.”

“Princess,” said Hong as his chariot came alongside Twilight, “Head to the ground, we’ve got guests to interrogate.”

“Right away,” replied Twilight.


Soon, the fliers and pegasi soldiers descended in the middle of the forest while Hong’s chariot landed nearby. All of the Canterlot and Imperial soldiers stood at attention as the general and the rest of Twilight’s friends followed him reuniting with their other friends. Mystic hopped off Flash’s back and followed them. The soldiers that caught the vultures had them “trussed up like a turkey” as Applejack would say.

The vultures could barely budge in the large tight ropes. When Hong began approaching them, the fourth vulture was brought in and his right wing’s crooked due to the magic blast. Mystic saw Fluttershy’s eyes were filled with concern for the vultures.

“General, what’re we doing with them?” asked Twilight.

Hong turned to her with a stern expression, “These are white-backed vultures, Princess. They’re are used to report and send messages in the land of Oogundaa, and seeing them here while the lions are here isn’t a coincidence.”

“So, the lions are using them to communicate with one another?” Twilight’s eyes filled with wonder and fascination.

“That, and probably using them to scour your land.”

Fluttershy gasped while Twilight looked over at the vultures. Mystic stepped a little closer to see them as well. As much as she hated to admit it, Hong is right about them and he knows some of Oogundaa’s creatures.

The pegasi that caught the vultures stood close by with spears at the ready. Hong formed a hard look as he made his way over to them with Twilight close by. The vultures glared daggers at both ponies as they came to a stop.

“You,” Hong growled, “You work for the lions, don’t you?”

The vultures only hissed angrily at the ponies.

“You’d better answer, or I’ll strangle you with your own talons!” Hong growled.

And again, the vultures hissed angrily, not diminished from Hong’s commanding voice. Hong was about to say something else, but Fluttershy stepped up.

“If I may?” she asked softly.

Hong looked at her incredulously, “Really?”

“Yes,” said Twilight, causing Hong to look at her, “Fluttershy has a talent with animals and she’d be able to communicate with them.”

Hong sighed, “Fine.”

Fluttershy smiled a little bit before turning to the vultures.

“Hello, do you think you can tell us who you work for?” she asked softly.

The vultures’ eyes widened in anger and hissed louder at the shy pegasus, causing her eyes to widen to the size of saucers.

“Goodness!” she cried, aghast, “Where did you learn that kind of language?!”

The vultures hissed only louder, “No, no we’re just...” And again, “Why I never!”

“This isn’t getting us anywhere,” Hong grumbled, causing Fluttershy to become nervous.

“Oh, vultures, I’m sure we can work things out,” Fluttershy pleaded to them.

“No, we cannot,” one vulture spoke up, causing everypony’s eyes to widen in complete shock, even Mystic’s.

“You can talk?!” Fluttershy cried, pointing right at them.

“Yes! We can talk in your language and in your animal ways!” the vulture, obviously the leader, roared, “You shall not sway us!”

“But we can help you out if you cooperate,” Fluttershy reasoned, “There can be a better...”

“No life is better than serving the King!” another vulture declared.

“The King?” Fluttershy asked.

“Yes! His glorious, mighty, unbeatable, god King Clawdius!”

Mystic’s eyes widened in shock again, she had heard of King Clawdius.

“Seriously?! That’s who we’re up against?” Hong growled.

“The King wanted us to scour the land! And we do as he says! You shall not stop his Greatness!” the vulture leader declared.

“Oh, we’ll be sure that we will.”

In the back of the herd of ponies, Rarity whispered: “Who’s King Clawdius?”

Mystic turned and glared at her, “Not now.”

“But...”

“Not now!”

Fluttershy formed a very pleading look, her eyes sparkling, “We can assist you, and try to talk things out with King Clawdius.”

“No, you cannot!” the leader spat, “The truth is a little wimpy naïve little pony, is that you aren’t worth one Equestrian bit to him! The truth is, you can’t accept that he will conquer your land! We’re always with him to the end! Even unto death!”

Fluttershy stepped back a few paces in horror as her pupils dilated.

“Even unto death, huh?” Hong repeated. He grabbed them and levitated them with his magic, glaring hard, “You won’t be arriving at your camp. And you won’t see your King again.”

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked, eyes wide.

“All hail King Clawdius! Lord of all Oogundaa!” the vultures shouted in unison.

“In that case...” Hong growled. He focused his magic on their necks. The Mane Six, Flash, and the ponies could do nothing as Hong focused his magic very hard. Fluttershy almost shed tears as the vultures struggled for air. Her hooves trembled as she covered her mouth in horror.

SNAP!

Hong has snapped the vultures’ necks. Fluttershy let out a cry while the Mane Six gasped in horror. Mystic was filled with disgust and she wanted to vomit.

The general tossed the carcasses into bushes and turned to his soldiers that were standing strong.

“That was a waste of time,” he said, “We’ll be going on hoof from here on out. If these vultures were close by, who knows how close lions really are?”

“Yes General!” they all said in unison.

Hong trotted over to his chariot. Mystic looked over her shoulder to see Fluttershy had her eyes locked onto the bush Hong had thrown the vultures in to. The pegasus was completely shell-shocked.

Twilight, looking shaken, wrapped a wing around the pegasus and began comforting her with soft words.

Mystic sighed heavily as she cast a bit of a sympathetic gaze to Fluttershy. Seeing something like that to animals up close has to have traumatized her.

“Let move out!” Flash ordered his soldiers.

Mystic saw Hong walking back over, now wearing a red and white helmet. He had a sword in a sheath and a spear in his magic.

“Now, Princess,” he said, “I know what you’ve seen wasn’t nice, but they were non-negotiable.”

“Couldn’t we have tried a different approach?” Twilight asked.

“And what? They were totally committed to their King and weren’t going to talk.”

“Look at Fluttershy.”

Hong looked at Fluttershy and she had a sad look on her face, he sighed, “Sorry you had to see that, but things in this world just aren’t as nice as you’re used to.”

Fluttershy whimpered, “I... I know but...”

Hong patted her head softly, “Don’t let this overcome you. We’ve got a job to do.” Hong straightened himself up and made his way over to his soldiers while the Mane Six and Mystic reunited.

“It’s okay, Fluttershy,” Applejack said softly. The yellow pegasus slowly nodded and turned to look again where the carcasses were.

“Let’s... get moving...” she said.

Wrapping her wing around her tighter, Twilight led Fluttershy as she followed her friends to where the soldiers were waiting.

“All right,” said Hong, “We need to move fast because those lions will know their message won’t be arriving. We would’ve landed even if we did only just see them and not catch them, either way, the enemies will soon know we’re here. So, let’s hustle and go in strong!”

“Yes sir!” the soldiers shouted.

“Good! Let’s go in fast and quiet! Arrival time in about fifteen to twenty minutes!”

So, the herd of ponies took off into the forest followed by the Canterlot Squad and the national heroes of Equestria, ready to face off against the latest threat.


As he faces Clawdius through the communication device, Amra holds a professional look as the King’s piercing amber eyes looked right at him.

“So, it’s almost time for the pride to move?” Clawdius asked.

“Yes, Your Highness,” replied Amra as he reached for his bronze helmet. “The pride is outside right now suiting up and we’re about to proceed according to the plan.”

“Very good,” Clawdius nodded, “I expect a quick and brutal takedown of the city, afterward we’ll soon take all of the pony land.”

Amra nodded and smirked with confidence, “Don’t worry, we’ve got everything under control.”

Clawdius nodded, “Do not fail me.” Then the communication device closed up and Amra let out a sigh. He turned to head outside to see how the others were coming along, but Leandra entered, a look of urgency on her face.

“General Amra!” she said.

“What is it?” Amra asked, a little alarmed.

“We have a small problem; the vultures haven’t returned like they should have a few minutes ago.”

At this, Amra’s eyes widened, “What?”

“I don’t know what’s happened to them, but the final scour to see if the coast is clear hasn’t returned as scheduled,” Leandra snorted, “And you know how loyal those vultures are to the King.”

Amra nodded, forming a stern look, “Somecreature is coming! Head out and alert the pride! We need to be ready!”

“Right away!”

As Leandra bolted out to warn the pride, Amra took a glance back at where he talked to Clawdius with. He had this under control despite this setback.


The soldiers had their weapons at the ready for anything they encountered.

Mystic saw Twilight had managed to calm Fluttershy down after the vultures’ demise. Rainbow had a look of determination and willingness to fight these beasts off. Focusing back on the mission, Mystic glanced around and noticed the trees getting a little thinner.

Gazing in front of the charging ponies, Mystic noticed there’s an open field they’re coming upon.

“Halt everypony!” Hong shouted.

Almost right away, all of the soldiers including the Mane Six and Mystic screeched to a stop. When everypony was still as a statue, Hong magically levitated binoculars out of his bag and began trotting over to the edge of the forest edge.

Mystic saw the field was wide open and it had tall grass. Perfect for concealing lions.

“What did you see, sir?” a female pegasus soldier asked.

“They’re out there,” replied Hong as he put the binoculars away.

“They are?” Fluttershy whispered.

“Yes,” Hong nodded, “And there’s a big field between us both. So, no way to sneak up on them.”

“Clever on their part,” the mare replied.

“Clever beasts they are,” Hong remarked.

“So, what’re we going to do?” Twilight asked.

“We’re going to have our weapons drawn and charge right at them,” Hong explained, “There’s no other way.”

“Well, if they’re getting close to making their moves, might as well move on them before us!” Rainbow declared, clanking her forehooves together.

“The rainbow one’s right, we need to go now,” said Hong. He faced everypony there, “Is everypony ready to face them and take victory for both of our lands?!”

“Yes sir!” everypony replied.

“Good!” he turned to some soldiers and Mystic, “Make sure this one stays behind and doesn’t do anything.”

“Right away,” said a male earth pony as he and another stood next to Mystic who scowled in annoyance.

“I could be of real help,” Mystic snarled.

“You weren’t meant to be here, and like it or not, you’re staying here,” Hong glared. “Did you get that?”

Mystic growled, “I may not have.”

Hong’s look hardened, “I am doing this operation on what’s best for both of our lands. And I want you to follow my orders for both of our lands if you know what’s good for them.”

Mystic glanced over at Twilight and she saw the alicorn had a pleading look on her face for her to listen. Not wanting Hong to get on her case anymore, Mystic huffed and glared back at him.

I will not obey your orders! Mystic thought, mentally preparing herself to charge.

“Are you and your friends ready, Princess?” Hong asked.

Twilight turned to look at her friends and they all nodded, well Fluttershy didn’t do anything but stood closer to Rarity.

“All right,” Hong said, turning to what will becoming the battlefield “Charge!”

On that order, the ponies charged forming a massive stampede of thundering hooves. The pegasi and the fliers of the Mane Six took to the air while Mystic watched the stream of ponies heading out to fight the lions.

She watched them for a little bit.

When they were a distance away, she looked behind her at the two soldiers and formed a hard glare.

“Sorry! But I’m not obeying that lunatic!” cried Mystic and she let out a surge of magic, knocking them both aside and into trees.


Mystic charged onto the field, seeing that the earth pony soldiers were in a column up front, followed by the unicorns and pegasi in their own columns as well. The Canterlot Squad charged out nearby in about the same form.

The diversity between Imperial City’s red and white armor and Canterlot’s golden armor on the soldiers were very evident.

In the midst, Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie charged too while Twilight flew near Rainbow. Fluttershy held back some but stayed close. As they came to the middle of the field, a roar rang out.

The roar seemed to make the air vibrate, the trees shook and the ground quakes a bit.

Mystic’s eyes widened to see a bunch of lionesses followed by lions streaming out of the forest by a hundred, no two hundred.

They swarmed towards across the field like a tidal wave, armored and with claws and teeth that can tear them apart with ease, no fear was in their eyes as they advanced on the ponies.

Keep focused and fight hard! Mystic thought as the earth ponies threw their spears at the predators.

The ponies and lions clashed.

Lions lunged and pounced on ponies, pegasi swooped down and punched them hard in the face before piercing their neck with a spear.

The pride showed no mercy to those that were so unlucky when they fought the large, strong predators. Some lions fell due to the ponies attacking in groups, but they’re not deterred or intimidated at all.

Mystic saw It was becoming a bloodbath. She saw Hong made sure to land strikes on the lionesses’ heads and necks, and he swung his sword into one lioness’ neck, killing her and causing two others to lunge at him, but two of his soldiers tackled them and all four creatures tumbled across the field.

For a minute the pride was brutally attacking and even killing some of the soldiers but purple magic froze all the lions and lionesses in place. Mystic watched in amazement as the purple magic lifted them and slung them to the ground, allowing a lot of the soldiers to catch them off guard and gain the upper hoof.

She looked up to see Twilight had her horn alit and it was covered in the same purple aura.

Wow! Mystic thought, never seeing such a feat before.

Mystic managed to catch up to the soldiers, spotting Rarity and Applejack a short distance away. The unicorn began galloping over Rarity shot beams of magic out, but they bounced off the armor of their opponents. Mystic managed to join her side but Rarity teleported away before she could do anything.

Mystic pulled out her machete and slit two of the lioness’ throats, causing them to hold them in pain. Sensing something to her left, she turned only to see Applejack came to her aid and bucked a lion in the chest, sending him flying backward into another.

The farm pony grabbed her lasso, twirled it, and managed to get it around a lioness’ neck. She yanked hard, slamming her to the ground and went to tie her up.

“Ah thought ya were gonna stay back!” said Applejack.

“I’m not under his authority any more!” said Mystic, joining her side and holding her machete high.

“Stay close ta me, Rares!”

Mystic saw Rarity holding up a diamond shield as a lioness clawed at it.

Applejack ran over to Rarity’s side as two more lionesses charged towards them, but Rainbow Dash flew into them like a bullet, knocking them both to the side.

Mystic immediately skimmed over the battlefield. Everypony was in combat and trying to hold their ground.

I need to finish what I came here for! She thought and began galloping across the battlefield.

Mystic swerved, jumped over, and dodged either soldiers or members of the Pride. The leader has to be on the other side of the field!

Then, a massive lion blocked her path and stood tall. Mystic was about to attack but then a bunch of confetti flew out, covering him from paw to head.

Mystic gasped as Pinkie appeared, laughing as she pulled out a tray of cupcakes and began rocketing them like projectiles at the pride.

What the hay?! Mystic thought, completely baffled.

Pinkie laughed as if she were having a good time launching her seemingly endless cupcakes. She bolted, ran up to a lioness, and tapped him on the shoulder. When he looked, she was gone.

Another tap on the shoulder. He looked, nothing. Yet another, and she was...

“Surprise!” she screamed happily, smearing his face with a cupcake, the icing covering his eyes. The large lion growled as he wiped the cupcake from his eyes only to see a party cannon right in his face. “Double surprise!”

The cannon went off with a loud bang and sent the lioness flying back with a large yelp of surprise while Pinkie continued to giggle as she bolted around the battlefield, smearing more cupcakes on the felines’ faces and pulling out her cannon from out of nowhere.

“Gah!” Mystic cried, “I can’t stand that mare!” She took Mystic out of the battle and the unicorn was grateful that she wasn’t attacked in her shock.

Charging forward again, Mystic punched a lion to the ground, slid between a lioness’ forelegs, and jumped over a couple more lionesses. She avoided the soldiers and any members of the pride that tried to attack her.

She grabbed a lioness with her magic and tossed her into another lioness before jumping over a couple of carcasses of dead lions. Seeing a lion about to pounce on the two ponies, she threw her machete with her magic!

It pierced the lion’s side, causing him to roar in pain.

Mystic pulled her machete out of the lion’s side and swung it right into another lion’s face, killing it, and threw a couple of throwing knives but they missed as Mystic brought her machete back to herself.

“It’s the pony described to us by the traitor!” she heard a lion roar.

“Get her!”

Mystic turned to see three of the felines charging, but she held them in place with her magic, punched one hard in the face before stabbing the second in the chin, going through his head, killing him.

She flinched at the sight of blood but stayed strong. Two more lunged, but she rolled to the side, dodging them, forming magical ropes, and tying their legs together.

She saw Twilight firing magic beams and avoiding spears thrown at her.

The alicorn even directed some spears back at the throwers only to miss them by inches.


Amra watched as his pride did their best to fight against the ponies. His eyes are full of fury; his lip is curled up into a snarl.

“This wasn’t supposed to happen! How could they find us like this?!” he growled.

He thought back to the members who didn’t make it in time for them to meet, and that one lion who foolishly let a pony live. Had he screwed them over?! Did he tell them where they were? He’d sent vultures to look for the pony but they were unsuccessful, now he thinks the pony might’ve gotten the soldiers and these powerful magic wielders

“The King is not going to be happy about this,” he snarled, his pupils dilating as he motioned some more members of the pride to go out. Turning to his left he sees Leandra looking on with just as, if not more fury than him.

“Leandra,” he growled, the head lioness turned to him, “Get that magic pony! The purple one with wings!”

“Right away, sir!” she replied before she activated her magic charm, it glowed a gold color before she wisped into the battlefield in a form of a blur.


Twilight held up a shield that caused two spears to bounce off it. She charged her magic and shot a beam underneath a couple of lions’ feet, knocking them off balance. However, before she could do anymore, something slammed into her and wrapped its strong forelegs around her. Twilight yelped in surprise before she landed on the ground looking at Leandra’s angry eyes, her muzzle only a few inches from her face.

“Say hello to your end, pony!” she declared raising a claw. However, Twilight recovered from the shock of the impact and teleported herself away. Leandra’s eyes widened and saw Twilight reappear a few feet away.

The alicorn charged her magic, but Leandra swiped her paw at Twilight and knocked her to the ground.

But the alicorn let out a blast of magic that hit Leandra’s armor and it bounced off right back at Twilight. The alicorn was blown backward, letting out a cry of pain. When Twilight was about to recover, Leandra lunged, her claws outstretched to end the alicorn, but Twilight teleported again and reappeared behind Leandra.

Twilight grabbed Leandra with her magic and threw her to the ground. She slammed the head lioness’ face to the ground a couple of times before Leandra activated her magic again, turning into a blur, breaking free of Twilight’s hold and punching her a couple of times.

Twilight wasn’t too swayed as she felt filled with magic and adrenaline. Deciding to get physical, Twilight laid a few hits on Leandra’s face, but the head lioness hardly flinched.

Leandra swiped her claw into Twilight, causing her to fall to the ground again. That does it. Twilight charged up her horn, a glare forming on her features. As Leandra grabbed her sword to finish Twilight, the alicorn shot it out of her grasp, grabbed Leandra with her magic, and threw her into the distance.

Leandra roared in anger as her limbs flailed in vain to stop the momentum. Twilight flew after her, charged up a spear of magic, got above Leandra, and threw the sphere at her. It bounced off her armor, Twilight dodged it but Leandra crashed to the ground, forming a lioness sized crater on the ground.

Twilight went to see if she’d finished the job, but an angry Leandra jumped out of the crater.


Mystic jabbed her machete into a lioness’ neck, jumped over her body, and landed firmly on her hooves. She looked up to see Rainbow had formed a small tornado to send some members of the pride flying off the battlefield.

“Help!” a voice cried, barely heard over all the chaos going on. Mystic whirled to see Pinkie trying to keep several lions covered in cupcake frosting at bay with her party cannon, but they were fuming with rage to end her. Mystic’s heart skipped a beat when she saw Fluttershy behind the party pony, slightly limping.

Mystic looked around at the battlefield to see all of their other friends were too occupied with fighting the rest of the pride.

Without a second thought, Mystic charged as Pinkie screamed as the lions lunged.

Mystic threw her machete with her magic and-- SCHOONK! It pierced into the head lion’s side. The squad stopped as he roared in pain.

Mystic swerved in front of the lion and finished him off with a sharp stab to the head. Mystic was about to fight the other three lions but a blast of purple magic sent them flying across the battlefield. Twilight landed in between her and her friends.

“Are you okay?” Mystic asked Pinkie and Fluttershy.

“Y-Yes...” Fluttershy stammered out.

“Thank you for saving them,” Twilight said, smiling.

“Don’t thank me yet,” she pointed to the battlefield, “We’re not out of the woods yet.”

“I’ll get them to safety,” said Twilight before she teleported away, leaving Mystic.

The unicorn saw that the battle’s winding down some with mostly dead lions laying on the ground along with some injured ponies and some that weren’t moving anymore.

There are about one hundred members of the pride still fighting strong and the unicorns and earth ponies were quick to fight back.

Looks like we have the advantage, she thought, looking over to the woods, having reached the opposite side of the battlefield.

Machete held high, she bolted into the woods, determined to find the leader. She will beat Hong before he can undermine her from doing what she came here to do.

The unicorn listened as she galloped along the forest floor. The sounds of magic blasting and trees breaking could be heard somewhere beyond the trees.

“You will not stop me, Amra, from fulfilling the King’s wishes!” a deep voice shouted.

She heard a cry from what she knew was Hong. The unicorn picked up speed and came upon some hilly terrain with some jagged rocks in the area.

Mystic saw the huge lion and knew it was Amra. She lit up her horn, enveloping him in magic and he got thrown into a tree.

Nearby was Hong, trying to stand up. Mystic stopped for a moment. When he saw her, he froze and had a look of disgust and anger.

Mystic returned it by spitting him a large raspberry.

Turning back to Amra, he lunged for her, but the unicorn landed a few hits on his face, causing him to flinch due to how hard her blows were. He swiped his massive claws, but she rolled to the side and punched him hard in the gut, and backflipped away from the lion.

Amra roared again, “You’re the one described to me by that traitor!”

Mystic only smirked, “And he was foolish to let me live like he did!”

“I know!” Amra roared, causing the air around them to vibrate.

He lunged at Mystic, the unicorn embraced him and they tumbled across the ground. Amra had a strong grip on the unicorn, but she bashed him in the face with the back of her head and using her magic to pull off Amra’s helmet and hitting him in the face. He lost his grip on her for a minute, but that was enough for Mystic as she broke free and struck Amra with his helmet, damaging it and sending it flying into the trees.

“You rotten little...!” Amra snarled.

Both creatures exchanged blows but dodged one another with each blow they tried to land on their opponent. Amra swung his claw, knocking Mystic to the side, but the unicorn quickly recovered and threw her machete at him with her magic, but he dodged it, grabbed a dead tree, and threw it at Mystic!

The unicorn fired a beam of magic breaking it, but Amra’s already upon her. He almost scratched her face with those mighty claws, but he’s able to tackle her and pin her to the ground!

Mystic struggled to get up, but Amra’s more twice her size and stronger than she is, so she stayed pinned to the ground.

“You violated my orders, you criminal scum!” Hong called out as he fought a few lions.

“Silence!” Amra roared, “You’re next!”

Mystic activated her magic to grab her machete, but Amra punched her in the face, making her lose her concentration. He’s about to bite into her neck when purple magic enveloped him and threw him into a few trees, causing them to break and fall on top of him.

Surprised, Mystic looked to see Twilight flying right at Amra as he struggled to get up. Applejack and Rainbow Dash came running soon after and all three ponies engaged in a battle against Amra.

Mystic stood up, grabbed her machete, and faced Hong. She pointed the tip of her machete right at him, “Traitor!” Before Hong could retaliate, Mystic took off to help with the three ponies.

Applejack bucked Amra hard in his armor, which caused her to grunt.

Rainbow flew right into him, knocking him off his paws and Twilight grabbed his tail with her magic, spun him around a few times before launching him into a large tree, cracking it. The large lion quickly recovered, ready to fight, then, Leandra lunged for Twilight, but the alicorn teleported, causing the head lioness to crash into bushes, which Rainbow laughed at.

Mystic joined them and punched Amra hard in the face. He tried attacking, but she avoided them like a pro and slammed a large rock into his side, knocking him over.

“General!” a voice cried, “General Amra!” A younger lion came out of the trees, “We need to retreat! The ponies have us beat!”

Amra growled, “What?!”

“Most of the pride is either dead or injured! We have no choice!”

“Go! I’ll join you!” Amra ordered.

He looked to face the four ponies and swiped his claw at a tree, causing it to fall over. Applejack and Rainbow yelped in surprise before they both bolted to avoid it as it landed with a crash. Twilight and Mystic faced Amra, Mystic glanced to see Hong had retreated to avoid being seen by Twilight.

“You ponies don’t know what you’ve done!” Amra growled, “You will have the full wrath of the King on your entire nation!”

“Not with you and your pride retreating!” Mystic declared.

“That’s right! You’ve seen what we can do! Let’s stop now before there’s any more bloodshed!” Twilight added, charging her magic.

“That’s not going to happen! Lions don’t show any mercy especially to the likes of you!” Amra declared, “Long live the King!” He lunged for the two ponies, but before they could engage in battle, Amra’s magic activated and he appeared as a blur and went behind the ponies, knocked down some more trees that fell towards them.

Mystic managed to get out of the way while Twilight teleported. Mystic looked to the blur of Amra, not wanting him to escape. She fired a beam of magic right at him, causing him to scream.

He turned back to normal while he maintained a surprised look on his face. Both Mystic and Amra looked to see Mystic’s magic had destroyed Amra’s amulet containing his magic. Mystic smirked to herself, proud of what she did. But...

Amra roared, causing the ground to vibrate along with the air and trees, sending Mystic off her hooves while Twilight and her two friends held their ears from the sound.

“General! We must go!” Leandra cried from nearby.

“No! Not yet!” Amra shouted, “I’ll be with you shortly!”

“But Amra!” Leandra cried.

“Go! Get out of here!”

Mystic stood up and jumped up to the top of a rocky hill. Amra swiped at Mystic a few times but missed with every swing.

She swung her machete, narrowly missing Amra but she’s able to throw a couple of rocks at his face, stunning him and kicking him into a large rock. Mystic landed a couple of punches on his armor and pulled on it, knocking it a little loose. Amra punched Mystic, sending her flying a bit but she recovered.

Twilight let out a beam of magic, striking him on the armor, which deflected the magic but it distracted Amra long enough for Applejack and Rainbow Dash to both tackle him and punch him down to a hard-rocky ground. While they dealt with him, Mystic looked up to see a large boulder on top of the hill. She looked down to see Amra’s practically in the way if it were to fall.

Thinking fast, Mystic jumped down and ran to the opposite side where Applejack and Rainbow were fighting, the pegasus taunted the lion as she swooped around and landed an occasional punch on him. When Amra backed away from the two ponies to figure out a strategy, Mystic saw this as an opening.

“Move!” she shouted to Rainbow and Applejack, throwing a knife at Amra.

The two ponies looked to see the knife impact Amra in the right-back paw, causing him to yelp in pain. Another knife hit him in the other front right paw, causing him to fall over.

Boom!

A magic beam hit just below the large boulder! Rainbow and Applejack took off as it began rolling down the hill! Amra heard the boulder tumbling down the hill, he looked up and his eyes widened in horror.

“Wh-what?! Noo!” he cried, but it was too late. The boulder crashed into him, crushing him under its weight, and he and the boulder both tumbled down into a large tree, landing with a crash, sending dust flying everywhere. Mystic flinched.

She looked down at the rubble as the dust began to settle, seeing the lifeless limbs of Amra underneath it all.

“Well, I did what I came here for,” she muttered, relieved.

Mystic gazed at the three ponies that had wide eyes, but Twilight showed signs of relief on her face. Nearby Hong stood there speechless. Mystic didn’t say anything but looked to her right and saw Amra’s helmet. Picking it up with her magic, she bolted back to the battlefield, leaving them behind.


Mystic saw the lioness that had begged Amra to run further down the field but away from the remains of the chaos. The unicorn galloped over and stopped about twenty feet away, holding the helmet up high. She saw the Pride members with the lioness look on in horror.

“Your General is no more!” Mystic shouted and tossed the helmet at the, “You’ve lost! All of you!”

Leandra grabbed the helmet, formed a hard glare, and let out a growl as the remaining members of the Pride retreated.

“The King will hear about this!” Leandra roared, “Mark my words, you’ll rue this day!”

She took off as some soldiers tried to attack, but she managed to use her magic to get away at a high speed.

Mystic smiled a little, relieved that the lions were ended before they could begin their assault. Then, her ear twitched as she heard hoofsteps coming right towards her. She whirled around to see Hong coming right toward her. His eyes are full of fury, his nostrils flared, and snorting hard, he grits his teeth as his lips formed into a snarl.

“You!” he shouted, “You violated my orders!”

Slightly startled, but standing firm, Mystic glared hard at him, “Hey, I did what I had to do!”

“We had things under control, we didn’t need you filling in for everypony!”

“And you handled that monster like I did?” Mystic spat.

“All right then!” Hong shouted. “Mystic, by order of the Imperial City laws for murder, arson, vandalism, and theft, I am placing you under arrest!”

Mystic’s eyes widened in anger, her nostrils flared, “I don’t think so!”

She took off in the direction of the Mane Six. I need sanctuary from him!

As much as she didn’t want to repay the loan, and probably more mushiness and getting freaked out by Pinkie Pie, she’d rather have that than deal with his madness. She needs to survive.

“Get her!” she heard Hong. “She is the pony that’s number one on our wanted list!”

Mystic didn’t need to turn around that some of Hong’s soldiers went after her.

When Mystic was almost upon the Mane Six, Twilight teleported and reappeared behind Mystic. Mystic whirled around to see the alicorn had spread her mighty wings.

“I’ve not murdered anypony in my entire life!” Mystic cried.

“Twilight, move aside!” Hong ordered, “This pony is clearly a violator of what’s been ordered to her!”

“And what did I tell you before we arrived at the pride’s camp?” Twilight demanded, “I told you I’d take full responsibility for her!”

“That mare is dangerous, Twilight!” Hong insisted, “She is the number one wanted pony on our list!”

“Even if she is, you did a fine job of catching her!” Twilight’s friends gasped at that statement, Hong’s eyes widened in anger, shock, and offense, but Twilight wasn’t done. “She is our business here since she is paying off a loan and she’s been a good filly ever since!”

“You don’t speak in that tone of voice to me,” Hong shot, “She was told not to attack the lions while we did and what did she do?”

“She saved my friends’ lives!”

“Mystic isn’t a criminal, she’s a hero!” said Fluttershy.

Hong growled, “And you dare to try and challenge me on my authority? On Imperial City’s authority? She is ours and we need to tie up loose ends.”

“And we will tie them up,” Twilight said, “But this time, Equestria will assist you in doing so, but not like you’re trying to do.”

“Do you know what would happen if you are protecting a criminal under your and Celestia’s rules?” Hong growled, “What an upset that would be in politics if something like that ever got out.”

Twilight paused for a moment. Mystic felt a hoof placed on her back and saw that it was Fluttershy.

“I don’t think I can hoof her over,” Twilight finally said.

Hong’s eyes widened again and he gritted his teeth, “What?”

“I know it’s probably risky in your view, but she’s done a lot of work to pay off her loan and she just saved our friends’ lives too,” said Twilight, keeping an eye on the general.

“That’s right!” Fluttershy agreed while Mystic nodded too.

“Some good deeds don’t erase the sins of a criminal!” Hong insisted. “You don’t know what she is! She’s just using good deeds to butter you up and make herself look innocent! She’s a crafty, lying pony!”

“General,” Twilight said. I think it’d be best if I tell Celestia about this and we’ll place Mystic in our custody and...”

“No, you won’t. I am her Uncle!”

That caused the Mane Six and Flash to gasp and look at Mystic. The unicorn stepped forward, glaring daggers at him.

“Adoptive Uncle!” Mystic bellowed, “We are of no relation! When you had to take me, you wanted me to call you Uncle Hong!”

“That’s a load of horseapples! You and I have the same eye color and hair color!” Hong bellowed.

“A lot of ponies have the same eye color and hair color!”

“Princess,” said Hong, turning to her, “I’ve got to take her back, she needs to come back and let me personally and lawfully deal with her.”

“What you need to do is to leave and go away,” Mystic growled, “You’re a disgrace and I won’t go back to that Tartarus hole you call a city!”

“It’s not a Tartarus hole! It’s the proudest city of ponykind!” Hong said, looking Twilight in the eyes again, “Princess, you have to make a choice. Either you give her to me and let justice prevail and you’ll keep your name and friends’ names intact. Or, you take this huge criminal and you betray us as well as everypony else by sheltering her.”

Twilight froze at that statement. Mystic had to refrain herself from gulping. Mystic knew she had done some wrong like stealing. Twilight turned and looked Hong squarely in the eye.

“No.”

Hong’s eyes built up with fury, “What?”

“No,” Twilight repeated. “Whether if you like it or not, I want to handle things differently. And Celestia would agree. So, unless you want to continue this debate, we need to take this to a different level.”

Mystic stood there in anticipation. She didn’t know what Hong would do. Memories of him hitting her with the whip, forcing her to do hard tedious work and not seeing her friend went through her mind. She had to keep herself from begging Twilight to keep her safe from him.

“Fine,” Hong conceded, causing Mystic’s eyes to widen. “But I will also submit my report. The Leader won’t be too happy about this.”

“I wouldn’t expect anything less,” replied Twilight.

Hong whirled around and walked off. Mystic watched as his soldiers picked up their injured and deceased along the way.

A few minutes passed until they were all gone, and when they were gone, Mystic let out a massive breath she didn’t know she’d held in. She collapsed to her hindquarters. Fluttershy knelt by her side.

“Oh my...” Mystic breathed out as everypony looked at her. She looked at Twilight, “Why... why did you do that?”

Twilight smiled gently, “Because, Mystic. You can trust us.”

Mystic smiled a little bit.

“Thanks,” she said as she stood up.

Twilight smiled wider, “You’re welcome, Mystic.” Then she got serious, “But if you have been a criminal in some form, we’re going to have to take precautions and not let you have your weapons around town, as well as being under supervision while in the town.

Mystic sighed, not liking her weapons being taken away again, but, “Well, I’ll take that over Hong anytime.”

“You’ll remain like that for a little while and I’ll discuss things with Princess Celestia.”

“Sure.”

“Okay,” Twilight looked where the sun had just set and saw it was twilight time, “Oh, we’d better get back. We’ve got things to do.”

“We’ll get you back no problem,” said Flash, “We’ll gather our injured comrades and deceased ones. We’ll be looking out for any more of the pride that might be around but I doubt we’ll see’em again.”

“Good,” said Twilight. She turned to her friends, “Let’s go home.”

Everypony else agreed as Flash and the Canterlot squad began preparing to take them home and head back to the city. Mystic smiled a little to herself as she stood up.

“I have sanctuary, and I’ll make sure that Hong doesn’t hurt anypony around me,” she said to herself.

“Oh, Mystic,” said Fluttershy.

“Yes?”

“I know you’re not actually the most open pony... but do you think we can try being friends?”

“Yeah!” Pinkie beamed. This caused the other members of the Mane 6 to look at her. Mystic felt awkward, she didn’t feel completely ready to personally embrace them as friends yet. But she did feel compelled to hang out around them, even if it was just to stay away from Hong. These ponies seem very different from other ponies she’s seen in her life, she’s seen kindness, Applejack tried bonding with her, and now they fought lions. Are they some kind of heroes?

“I... I guess we could try?” she finally said with an awkward tone.

“Yay!” Pinkie cheered, causing Mystic to cringe.

“Oh, this is delightful!” Rarity cheered.

“Yee-haw!” Applejack hollered, rearing on her hind hooves.


Meanwhile, on a nearby hill and hiding behind trees, the glowering Hong watched the ponies celebrate. His gaze was locked right onto Mystic.

You will not get away from me that easily, he thought, vowing to bring her home.

Author's Note:

Well, that's the end of Act One of the story! :twilightsmile: Believe me when I say that there's a lot more to come! :raritywink:

Next time, we'll check in with a certain unicorn looking into those spell hypotheses. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next