• Published 17th Dec 2011
  • 149,887 Views, 7,587 Comments

Anthropology - JasonTheHuman



Lyra is determined to find out the truth behind the mysterious legends of humans.

  • ...
175
 7,587
 149,887

Living a Lie

Once again, Lyra was finding herself disoriented in the mornings. Waking up in a new place did that. At least this would be the last time she had to move. Those results would come soon, and then she’d be able to settle down.

She dragged herself out of bed and walked down the hall, past her mom’s studio and to the bathroom across from Chloe’s room. In the past nine days, she’d managed to learn her way around.

The first thing she noticed when she looked in the mirror was that her hair was a total mess. She found her hairbrush sitting on the edge of the sink and started straightening it out.

She really took more pride in her appearance now than when she had been a pony. True, she still looked somewhat like her pony self, but it was just her hair and eye color. Those things didn’t really matter.

The brush snagged on a tangle of green hair, and she pulled it through. She rubbed her eyes and blinked at her reflection sleepily. She thought about how she’d look with dark hair. More like a regular human. That’d be good.

She looked down at her fingers. A few rough patches were forming at the tips from guitar playing. It had been painful at first, but she’d been told they were good – it would make it easier to pick the strings. What had Randall called them? “Calluses,” that was right.

It was mostly on her right hand, but there were a few forming on her left as well. She poked at them, curious about the odd stiff texture. She winced as her brush got caught in her hair again, then went back to looking at her hands.

She stopped.

Both her hands were empty, but she was still brushing her hair.

She looked up at the mirror again and had just a glimpse of a fading aura around the brush before it dropped and clattered on the floor.

In a panic, she knelt down to pick it up, but… her fingers were gone. Two mint-green hooves were sticking out of her sleeves in their place.


Lyra sat straight up in bed.

It was still dark outside, and completely quiet except for the crickets chirping. She turned to look at the clock on the nightstand. The numbers “2:43 AM” were glowing on it. Just the numbers – her parents had called it “digital.”

She pulled her hands up to check that they were still there. Everything seemed to be in order. Then she reached up to check her forehead, just to make sure it was still smooth. She let out a sigh of relief.

Had she really expected to find her horn again? Of course not. Humans didn’t have those.

But… She’d better make sure she was really still normal.

As her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she scanned the room. There was the dresser, and that large shape leaning against the corner was her guitar. She could barely make out the indistinct shape of her lyre in the shadows. It was set up on top of the dresser, probably about ten feet away from her. She tried to remember how this worked – focusing her mental power, letting it flow into the object and picking it up.

Nothing happened.

It had just been a dream. She still didn’t have magic. It was crazy to think that she would.

Even though it had turned out to be nothing, she was still feeling short of breath. That feeling when she’d realized she was using magic again. The first thing that had flashed through her mind had been how she would explain that to her family.

For the past couple days, she’d just kept on telling them she had somehow lost her memory. She was feeling like a broken record, but what else could she say? Especially after what had happened with Audrey. But… how long could she really go on lying to her own family?

She laid her head back on the pillow and pulled the covers up. Everything was going to work out. Somehow…


One thing that hadn’t changed since being a pony – Lyra still slept in late. On most days, at least. This morning she was up unusually early, but after that dream, she hadn’t exactly been able to rest easy.

Lyra slowly worked through her daily routine. Nothing out of the ordinary… No magic. No hooves. That much was good.

It had been over a week, and Lyra was starting to get used to how things worked with her family. They had their own routines. At times she felt that she was throwing them off by suddenly showing up, but her parents seemed happy that she was back. Most of the time, at least. There still seemed to be a trace of doubt, every once in a while, but that would soon be cleared up.

The door to Chloe’s room was still shut. She was probably still asleep. Lyra was still getting used to the idea that she had a younger sister. For the past seven years, she’d had a sister. A human one. Chloe seemed to be adjusting to Lyra being around all the time, but she didn’t really like to talk to her. And she didn’t know who Lyra was yet – if those results came back and it turned out Lyra was who she thought she was (and Lyra just knew they would), then they’d tell her, but only then. For now, Lyra was just "staying at our house for a little while."

Chloe was almost the same age as the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Lyra had been great at getting along with them. But, for human kids… What did they do? They definitely weren’t concerned with getting a cutie mark or anything like that. And Lyra really didn’t know much about the kind of unicorns Chloe was interested in.

Her parents’ room was down the hall. Her mother was most likely asleep as well. She would probably wake up soon, sit on the back porch to eat breakfast, and then work on painting. There was a half-finished work in the studio that Lyra could see as she walked past. It looked like it would be a human figure with wings, but that was about as ridiculous as a human who could use magic.

Lyra stopped in her bedroom again to pick up the paperback sitting on her nightstand. A bookmark stuck out about three-quarters of the way through. She picked it up and took it with her.

Nobody else was down here yet. Her dad was probably awake. He would get up earlier than anybody else and work on writing. Well, he called it writing, but it was actually all on the computer and not on paper. Humans did use those for just about everything. Maybe Lyra would learn how to use one herself someday. “Typing” looked like it was fun.

She set the book down at the kitchen table and walked over to the cupboard. She opened it up, but it was the wrong one. This one was filled with plates… She moved on to the next one, and the one after that. She still couldn’t keep track of what was where. Here it was.

Now, where were those things… Those thin pastries with the fruit filling that came in the shiny foil wrappers. She searched the shelves and found the blue box they came in. It was up high. Maybe she was still half-asleep, because her first instinct was to levitate it down. She shook herself and reached up, closing her fingers around it. She stood there for a while, staring at it blankly.

“Good morning, Lyra.” She was snapped back by the sound of her father’s voice.

“Oh… Good morning.” She managed a smile.

“You’re up early. Is everything alright?”

“Yeah, of course…” Her eyes went back to the box in her hand. “I just… had a weird dream last night. It’s still kind of getting to me.”

“Do you remember what it was?” he asked.

“No,” she said. “I’m already forgetting why it bothered me in the first place. I used to have dreams all the time.”

"How long ago?"

"It was... Um..." She moved her fingers unconsciously, drumming them against the box. Then she remembered what she was doing, and took out one of the packages. "I don't know. I... just used to have them."

He started making coffee. They had a machine that did it automatically. From what she’d seen, humans were practically addicted to the stuff, and her parents were no exception.

Lyra sat down at the table and crossed her legs, leaning back in the chair. She tore open the foil, took out one of the pastries, and took a small bite from the corner. You could heat these things up in something called a "toaster," but she didn’t feel like it today. It still tasted good, if a bit stale. Bon-Bon would probably be horrified, but prepackaged food was a major part of a human diet.

A few minutes later her father sat down across the table from her with his coffee.

“Uh… Dad…” Lyra said.

“Yes?”

“I’ve been reading your book.” It was on the table in front of her. She tapped it with one finger. “There’s a few things that confuse me, though.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, magic, for one thing. How do they use it? You say that they can just learn it, but… anybody can do that?”

“It takes some complex mental focus and years of practice, but essentially any character could learn it.” He seemed to be speaking more openly than he had been before. It was an easier topic. “Of course, the Citadel doesn’t let anyone in. They want to protect their power and teach it only to those they decide are worthy. You've read about that part, haven't you?”

“Hm…” Lyra said. She thought back. The first time she’d ever used magic, it had been an accident. “I guess I just never thought magic worked like that.”

“That’s the thing about magic.” He smiled. “It’s not very well-defined, so writers can do whatever we want with it.”

Lyra frowned. That wasn’t right… The exact nature of magic wasn’t easy to get, even if you could use it, but there were some basics that were just undeniable. For one thing, in order to have any control over it, you would need a horn to focus it through. And it was a lot easier to learn than he claimed it was, partly because a unicorn was designed to be able to use it.

“Oh, and… unicorns,” she said.

He stared at her.

“Do you have any of them in this book?” Lyra said. She quickly added, “I know Chloe likes them, but… You know.”

“I don’t have many mythical creatures in my world, no. Just regular horses.”

Mythical creatures, like all of Lyra’s friends and family up until a little over a month ago. The “horseback riding” was mentioned every so often in the book. It was like they were just animals. It was hard to explain exactly how she felt about that. The horses weren’t much like ponies except in appearance.

A lot of things in this story seemed like the humans Lyra had read about. She hadn't read anything about humans riding horses, but if the Princess had wanted to erase records of humans, that would be one of the first things to go. Along with warfare... There was a lot about that in her dad's story, too.

“It’s… an interesting story,” Lyra said. “I definitely haven’t read anything quite like it before.”

He smiled. “And I’ve got critics who claim it’s too cliché.”

“Is this kind of story normal for hu – “ She caught herself just in time. Making these questions sound natural was hard. “Is it a common theme for stories?”

He shrugged. “It’s a very wide genre, but some things never change.”

She nodded, and turned towards the windows.

“It’s all somewhat based on history, though, isn’t it? You just added things to it like magic, and the countries…” She waited for his response, because she realized that the kingdom of Emathia and the nation of America sounded equally unfamiliar in her mind. For all she knew, it could be a real place.

He nodded. “There are some Greek influences. That sets it apart from – “

“Greek? You mean like… Those old stories and songs, like they’d play on a lyre. I know I’ve heard some things about that.”

“Half of our family – my half, that is – comes from Greece. That’s where the ‘Michelakos’ name comes from. My grandfather lived there, but I’ve only visited the country twice in my life.”

“That’s amazing!” Lyra’s eyes widened. Greece was one of the countries that had really fascinated her ever since seeing the couple pages in Twilight’s book. Not only had they invented the lyre – which was a very popular instrument in Equestria – she was one of them.

“You’re interested in your heritage like I am, I take it.”

“Just recently, to be honest.” Finding out she wasn’t Canterlot-born had greatly increased her interest in herself. “I used to – “

“What?”

“Um…” Lyra fidgeted nervously. “Nothing. I forget what I was going to say.” She finished her breakfast and stared out the window again, away from him.

“Lyra… “ He stroked his chin. “The doctor told me that it looked like nothing was wrong with you.”

“Why would there be? I’m normal,” she said.

He sighed. “When we lost you, all those years ago… Your mother and I didn’t hear anything. Everything was gone, but there was no sign of a break-in, all the doors were still locked. You had just vanished into thin air. And now you’ve reappeared just as suddenly, and you say you don’t remember anything.”

Lyra lowered her head. It was too much like what Audrey had said when she dodged answering questions. “I really don’t. You have to believe me.” She looked up at him. "You do believe me, right?"

He reached over and put his hands over hers. “If there’s anything you don’t want to talk about…”

“I really don’t remember anything,” she insisted. “I’m sorry.”

Lyra wished that she could make up a convincing lie. But how much about the human world did she really know? She knew Des Moines, she had kind of seen Chicago… She thought back to the list of towns she’d copied into her journal at the airport, but she didn’t know what any of them were like. Anything would be better than saying nothing.

She put a hand to her forehead and rubbed it. “I… I need some fresh air. I think I’ll take a walk.”

Before her father could say anything, Lyra stood up, slipped her shoes on, and headed out the door.


Lyra didn’t plan to stay out for long – she really had just needed a walk. It was nice and quiet out here in the woods. It was away from all the cars, so the smell wasn't quite as noticeable. In fact, it almost seemed like being in Whitetail Woods. She'd participated in the Running of the Leaves a few times there... Back when she had been a pony.

She’d almost let herself slip up.

It had just been little things, sure. But she couldn’t mention that she’d always liked reading, because that had come from spending so much time at the Canterlot Library as a filly with her other father. And the reason she was “just now” interested in her heritage? Because she’d always thought she was just a half-unicorn mix, with weakened magic as a result, but now it turned out she was descended from an ancient race of humans. She couldn’t say a single word about herself to her family, and it was getting impossible.

Maybe she really didn’t feel like she was at home here. Lying definitely made things difficult. But she wasn’t sure if she was really missing Equestria, or if she was missing that feeling of performing on stage with Randall in Des Moines... And yet she still wouldn’t give up the chance to live with her human family for anything.

She walked along the side of the road, since there wasn’t a sidewalk out here. One time a human went past on the other side, sitting on some kind of weird machine that ran on two skinny wheels. Lyra stopped in her tracks and watched. It seemed like they were moving forward by pumping their legs, and they were going so much faster on that machine than they would just walking. Humans really did never cease to amaze her.

She paid careful attention to the street signs and the houses that she passed. She didn’t plan on going far, but the last thing she needed was to get lost. The trees thinned out eventually, giving way to a neighborhood where the houses were closer together. It really didn’t seem like she’d come that far from Des Moines, this place was so similar.

This was her hometown, she realized. She had been born here. Did it feel like home, though? Her parents might have their doubts about her, but… Lyra was certain she was right. She had to be.

For a while she just moved on, lost in thought, until she eventually came to what must be the downtown area.

A few small shops were here. It was nothing like the big city – these buildings were scarcely any bigger than houses. Actually, Lyra realized her own house was bigger than a lot of these.

There was a metal stand fixed to the sidewalk, and another one of those two-wheeled devices chained to it. Lyra stopped for a closer look. She knelt down, pushing a pedal slightly with one hand. It clicked as it spun around. When she pushed the other way, it gave some resistance, and – yes, the wheel moved. She had to learn how this worked.

Another human walked past. He looked at her strangely, and she stood up quickly and moved on.

Looking around, it seemed like there were some restaurants here. Pizza, Chinese, Mexican. Those were all countries, she was pretty sure. One darkened shop had a “For Rent” sign in the otherwise empty window. But then she came to one that really seemed interesting – “Belfield Used Books.”

A bell rang as she opened the door. She had a sudden flashback to that store that she’d walked into in Des Moines, just hours after arriving in the human world, but this time she could afford to look around. And she wasn’t nervous about talking to that human behind the register at all.

It was a female, older than her, but still fairly young. She seemed lost in a book, even though there was something in front of her on the counter that might have been a computer. A glowing picture of an apple was on the side facing Lyra.

“I was looking for a book on human history,” Lyra said, with an aside glance towards that might-be-a-computer.

The girl looked up at her. “Any specific period?”

“All of it.”

She started to laugh, but then realized that Lyra was completely straight-faced. She glanced over at a section of shelves. “Well, over there is nonfiction. Are you looking for American history, or… I guess you’d be looking for world history, right?”

America. Lyra knew that was where she lived now, but not much else. “Actually, I know about some other countries, but not much about America. You have books about that?”

“Of course.” The human at the register paused. “Are you from overseas? You don’t seem to have an accent, but – “

“I’m from America. I just… I’m just now starting to research history. I need a good overview.”

“Right…" She nodded slowly. "You didn't learn it in school?"

"My school was... different."

The girl circled out from around the counter. "I'll see what I can help you find. It looks like it'll be a slow day, anyway."

As soon as she was out, Lyra offered her hand. “My name’s Lyra. I’m kind of new in town.”

“Monica…” The shopkeeper returned the handshake. “Wait, that hair…” For some reason, she laughed. “You really exist.”

“What? Of course I do,” Lyra said. “What do you mean?”

“I was talking to a friend of mine. He said he’d met some girl with green hair on a plane who claimed she was Thomas Michelakos’s long-lost daughter. And I kind of doubt there are that many green-haired Lyras in this city.”

Lyra was taken back by surprise. “You know Paul?”

“He comes in here every so often,” Monica said. “Small world, isn’t it?”

“I don’t think so...” Lyra said. The plane trip had proven that much.

“So you’re staying with Mr. Michelakos now? I’ve met him a few times, he comes here every once in a while. I know he has a younger daughter, but I’ve never heard of you. Figures, that’s why you’d be his ‘long-lost’ daughter.”

“Yeah… Um, his books are pretty popular, aren’t they?”

“You could say that,” Monica said.

Lyra looked at all the shelves lined up to the back wall. They were divided into sections – fiction, history, travel. She didn’t even know where to start. And it was hard to ask her questions straight out without getting weird looks and more questions in return.

“Anyways, you said you wanted American history.”

Lyra nodded. She'd almost forgotten that. “Right.”

Monica led her through some rows of shelves to a section near the back of the store. “This is what we’ve got. Feel free to…” Lyra had already pulled out a volume that had caught her eye and was flipping through it, looking at the occasional diagrams and illustrations. “Take a look around,” Monica finished.

“Quick question. This is going to sound odd, but it’s… the year 2012 now, isn’t it?” Lyra said, her eyes still fixed on the book.

“It has been for a while, yes.”

“And America was founded in the year 1776.” She looked up. “This country isn’t very old.”

Monica raised an eyebrow. “You really don’t know anything, do you? I’m starting to see why Paul found you so interesting...”

Lyra ignored her. “I think this one looks good. I’ll take it.”

“Uh… great. Glad I could help.”

“Oh, and, um…” Lyra scratched the back of her head, and mumbled, “Unicorns.”

“What was that?”

“Well, it’s… My sister," Lyra said quickly. It was partially true, Chloe was the main reason she wanted to do this research. "She loves unicorns. Do you have any books on those?”

“You mean like children’s books?”

“Whatever you have.” If unicorns really were just stories for kids… Well, that’s just what they would be in this world. It didn’t really matter.

Lyra hadn’t really considered it until she’d started running her mouth off to Audrey, but humans did know something about unicorns. It was odd, really – how they knew about unicorns despite there being none around. Then again, Equestria had been similar. Everything had felt so backwards ever since she’d come home. But now she’d start getting some answers.

Monica glanced around the store. “I’ll see what I can find for you.”

Lyra followed her to a section of shelves labeled “Fantasy.” Obviously. They both scanned the titles printed on the colorful spines.

“There’s one of Dad’s,” Lyra said.

“Yep," Monica said. She glanced over at her. "What was it like, finding out who you were? Had you heard of his books before?”

“No… I can’t say I had. I’m reading them now, though.”

“I see…” Monica crouched down to look at one of the lower shelves, then pulled out a book. She looked at it for a moment, then stood up and handed it to Lyra. “I think this is the best I can do.”

Lyra stared down at the cover of the book. A plain white unicorn – a blank flank, even though he (or she, it was hard to tell) was an adult - standing in the forest. Drinking straight from a river. That was just disgusting, completely uncivilized. She raised an eyebrow. “So, is this… a novel?”

“Yeah. It’s a pretty popular one. There’s a movie of it, too, but I'm not sure if we have that in stock.”

“You mean like what they show on TV?” Lyra said. “I think I’ll just read this… I mean, I like the idea of movies. It’s like getting to watch a play whenever you want. I just can’t stare at a box like that for very long.”

“Really, now? You’re a dying breed,” Monica said with a smile. “Seems like people don’t read as much as they should these days.”

Lyra looked back down at the book in her hands. “This is the best you have about unicorns, though? I was thinking of something more… informative. Factual.”

“I don’t know, you could check the mythology section. I doubt anyone’s written a field guide, though.”

“Right… Because unicorns aren’t real,” Lyra said. “And magic’s completely made up.”

“Uh… yeah,” Monica said, giving her a strange look. “So, will that be all? I can check you out over at the front.” She thumbed over her shoulder.

“This should be enough for now. Thanks for helping me find these,” Lyra said.

“It’s no problem.” They headed back to the counter. Monica circled around to the other side behind the register. She glanced over the titles again as Lyra handed them to her. “That’s an interesting selection of topics there, though.” She slid them both into an unmarked brown paper bag.

“I guess you could say I have a wide range of interests. I’ve always read a lot,” Lyra said with a shrug.

Monica nodded. “It’s a good habit to be in. Besides, it keeps this place in business. And your dad, for that matter,” she said. "Say 'hi' to him for me."

"Yeah. I'll... do that."

“I know this isn’t exactly my place to pry, but… I can tell. There’s something bothering you, isn't there? Something important on your mind and you don’t want to talk to anyone about it.”

“What? No, there’s not – I’m not hiding anything,” Lyra said. “Why would I be – “

“There you go. That’s exactly what I’m talking about. You're acting so strange.” Monica’s voice was even, and Lyra fell silent. “I’m not going to ask you what it is, but… If it’s really that important, then you won’t be able to cover it up forever.”

“I don’t have a choice.”

“Trust me. Sooner or later you'll need to get it off your chest. You'll feel better. That’s all I’m saying.” She handed the bag over the counter, and Lyra took it with slightly trembling hands. “Just some free advice.”

“Thanks… I guess.”

"It's no problem." Monica gave her a smile. "So will I see you again?"

"Probably."

"It was nice meeting you, Lyra."

"Yeah... Same here." Lyra turned and headed out the door without another word.


Lyra found her way back through the neighborhood to her house easily enough. She only got lost once. It hadn’t been much longer than an hour or two since she’d walked out. Maybe she should apologize. Her dad was probably worried.

There was still some part of her that didn’t like that she was still considered a child. She’d paid her own rent – well, half of it – for several years. But maybe it was best to live with her parents. It wasn’t like she could fend for herself in this world. She needed to start learning about it.

She thought about what Monica had said. Did her parents notice she was acting strange? If Monica had, then yes, they probably had, too. But... she couldn't exactly just tell the truth.

She walked past the mailbox right by the side of the road and down the long driveway towards the house, past both of her family’s cars – one was the big red one she’d come back from the airport in, the other was a smaller black one.

Her hand closed around the doorknob and pushed it open. With an uneasy smile on her face, trying to give the impression nothing had gone wrong, she walked into the kitchen.

Both her parents were sitting there together. A stack of letters was on the kitchen table. They were reading one of them – a sheet of paper that had been folded a few times. There was something on their faces…

“I’m back,” Lyra said, setting her new books on the counter.

Her mother looked up from the letter. “Lyra?”

“Is… Is there something wrong?” Lyra asked. They were acting strangely...

Without another word, her mother stood up and wrapped her in a tight embrace. Lyra noticed there were tears on her cheeks.