• Published 17th Dec 2011
  • 149,965 Views, 7,587 Comments

Anthropology - JasonTheHuman



Lyra is determined to find out the truth behind the mysterious legends of humans.

  • ...
175
 7,587
 149,965

So Much to Learn

After a little over a week in the human world, Lyra was beginning to understand what Audrey had meant by it being “boring.”

Well, no. That wouldn’t be the right word. Humans were still managing to surprise her every day. A better term might be “peaceful.”

Truth be told, the past year or so in Ponyville had been unusually eventful. Nightmare Moon had only been the beginning, but then there had been the parasprites, the Ursa Major, the dragon. Countless other things in the Everfree Forest that she only heard about but hadn’t actually seen. And that time when Twilight had cast that spell on her old doll, and Bon-Bon and Lyra had ended up giving each other some ugly bruises.

Things like that never happened in Des Moines. Humans were completely in control of their world, it seemed. Lyra couldn’t forget what Princess Celestia had said about the war… But she hadn’t seen any humans carrying around weapons. It was hard to imagine Audrey, Nathan, or anybody else she’d met doing something like that.

Lyra had settled into a routine, spending most of her time working on her guitar playing. She was picking it up fast. Music had always come naturally to her, so it wasn’t a surprise. The guitar itself was easy enough, but that amp confused her. It was necessary to get any sound, but she hardly understood how or why.

Nathan’s books had helped, too. It turned out that guitar was based more on chords than individual notes, so it wasn’t quite like her lyre. She tried playing some old songs she had memorized from her Gala performance, but on the guitar they didn’t sound right.

This was an instrument made for human music. She had asked Audrey for some music recordings that she could try to listen to and learn by ear.

“You mean, like rock music?” Audrey had said.

Lyra nodded. “Like what it said on the flyer. I don’t know who those musicians are, though.”

“I think my dad might have some stuff like that. Ask him.”

It was a Saturday – Audrey’s parents both had work off today, so Lyra found Audrey’s dad in front of the television in their living room. They spent a lot of time there, but staring at the moving images for too long would make Lyra’s eyes sore.

He noticed her before she could say anything. “Hello, Lyra. Do you need something?”

She nodded. “You have records of guitar music, right? Rock, specifically. I’m trying to learn it.”

“You’re looking for guitar music? I thought Audrey had said you played a lyre.”

“Well, I used to, but I want to learn something new.” She’d been doing a lot of that lately, and music was probably the least confusing of it all. “If I have something to listen to, I can usually play it by ear.”

“Let’s see. I’ve got a lot of music from the seventies, if that’s okay,” he said. Humans tended to describe a lot of things with numbers. He led her over to a shelf filled with thin cases. “CCR, Deep Purple…”

“I think that one was on the poster I saw. These songs have guitar players, right?” Lyra asked.

“It wouldn’t be rock without it.” He pulled a few of the square cases from the shelf.

“Those are what you keep music on?” Lyra asked, taking one and turning it over in her hands. It was so small. “I’m used to these other things back home. We call them records.”

That made him laugh for some reason. “Usually it’s the kids your age who don’t know how records work. Do you need me to show you how to play it?”

She nodded.

He opened up a case, moving his fingers quickly. He pressed down on the center. “Hold it like this. Try not to get fingerprints on this side.” He held the disc with one finger through the hole in the center, the others on the edge.

Lyra took it from him, carefully holding it the way that he had. The light caught the silver disc and created rainbow patterns on the blank side. “It looks amazing.”

“I think there’s a stereo in your room, Lyra,” he said. “I’ll show you how to play it.”

She hadn’t noticed the “stereo” before because it looked like just another piece of furniture. The disc was hidden inside a tray that came out, and it would play music despite not having horn for the sound to come out of. But the sound was less scratchy, and Audrey’s dad showed her how to skip exactly to the beginning of each song or play them on repeat.

She’d listened to a song called “Lodi” a few times. It was nice and slow, and she could definitely relate to the lyrics. Once she’d picked out the lead guitar part, she’d practiced it all that afternoon until her fingers moved on their own and she could practically play it in her sleep.

Back when she’d been a unicorn, playing her lyre for too long could give her a headache. Magic required such concentrated mental focus, but playing either instrument with her hands was so much more relaxing. Once she got the song down, she could lose herself for hours. And, in fact, she had – she had to remember to cut off her practice time once Audrey and her family were going to bed.

Some ponies did play guitar, but Lyra had no idea how. Her fingers gave her precision control over each string. She’d seen ponies play guitars with their hooves, but it didn’t even come close to what she could do with fingers. Humans probably made better piano players, too. Any instrument, for that matter.

It had been a little over a week since she’d started. It was hard to imagine she’d been human for that long already. Lyra was in her room as usual, working on another new song.

“Sounds good.” Lyra looked up from her guitar to see Audrey standing in the doorway, arms crossed.

“Thanks. I’ve been working on a new one,” Lyra said.

“How many songs have you learned?”

“I think maybe… three?" She tapped her chin. "No, four.”

“It’s only been a week.”

“I know.” Lyra went back to playing, doing the main riff from a song called “Smoke on the Water.”

Audrey sat down next to her and watched. “It’s weird. You’re good at this – really good. You’re like a prodigy.”

“My parents used to tell me that.” Lyra smiled.

Audrey just nodded and stared at the ground. She’d stopped asking Lyra so many questions lately, probably because Lyra had no intention of answering. Lyra set down her guitar on the bed at her side. Audrey had a point, she had learned how to play really fast.

Lyra stood up suddenly, and went to her bag. Her journal was right on top, right beside her lyre which had sat in there unused for a while now. But all she needed was the flyer tucked in the front cover.

MUSICIANS NEEDED. Lyra couldn’t help but wonder if they were still looking for somebody to play guitar. And now she knew a little bit about Aerosmith and Deep Purple – those were famous human bands, and she could play a few of the songs off their albums.

She sat back down next to Audrey, reading over the flyer a few more times. “You know, I think I could probably audition for this now.”

“You’re still set on that one, aren’t you?” Audrey said.

Lyra nodded. “How do we contact them? You said you knew how.”

Audrey leaned back on the bed, supporting herself with her arms. “It’s been a while since you picked that one up. They could’ve gotten another interested guitarist.”

“I still want to try.”

“You sound like you’re ready, at least. Somehow.” Audrey shrugged. “We could try to call them.”

“Yeah, let’s do that.” Lyra wasn’t sure what she meant by “call,” but she was still getting used to human slang.

Her parents had always wanted her to pursue her music career. In a way, that’s what she was doing now. Maybe she wasn’t a pony anymore, and maybe this human music wasn’t what most ponies listened to, but Lyra knew they’d still be proud of her if they could see her now.

“Here you go,” Audrey said, holding something out to her.

It was the thing that she’d seen Audrey use so often before, which by now she was pretty sure wasn’t actually called Nathan. Lyra took it hesitantly, and examined it. “What is it?”

Audrey scratched her head. “Right. I probably should have asked if you knew how to use a phone…”

“Well, no,” Lyra said. “But I’d like to learn! Teach me.”

“Uh… How exactly do I start…” Audrey thought for a moment. “It’s weird. You catch on to music so fast, but I still have to explain things like this...

“Please? Just do your best.”

“You’ll put in that number off of the flyer. Then just talk to whoever picks up. Tell them you saw their ad and you want to join the band.” She paused, then added, “If they ask you how long you’ve been playing, lie to them.”

“Alright…” Lyra stared at the phone in her hand. She tried to think of how Audrey had used it. “So… these numbers?” She ran a finger over them lightly.

“I’ll read it off for you.” She started reading off the number, but Lyra cut her off.

"Slower."

Audrey sighed and went back to the numbers, listing them off one at a time. Lyra touched each one in sequence with her finger. They gave in just a little, and it let out a note each time.

“Now what?” Lyra said after the last one.

“Just talk.”

Lyra held the phone up to her face. She could hear something buzzing. “Is... is somebody there?” She felt ridiculous.

The buzzing continued, then stopped suddenly. “Hello?” The voice was actually coming from inside the phone. Lyra almost dropped it in her surprise, but caught it just in time.

“Oh, uh… who are you?” she asked.

“Do you have a wrong number?” the voice said.

“Um…” Lyra looked to Audrey for answers.

“Tell him you’re interested in the band,” Audrey said.

“Oh! Right.” Lyra wasn’t sure exactly where to look. It was strange talking to somebody when she couldn’t even see them. “I saw this poster, and I’m a guitar player, so I was thinking…”

“This is about the band? Yeah. Great,” the voice said. “My name’s Randall. I’m the lead singer and temporary manager, until we get that spot filled. When can you come over? It’d be good to get an audition in with you.”

“Oh, uh…” Lyra paused. “I think I can come over whenever.“ She turned to Audrey, who gave a confused look.

“Get his address,” she said.

“Huh? Oh, right. Where do you live?” Lyra said.

Audrey handed her a pen. Lyra juggled it and the phone, shifting it to her other hand so that she could write.

“What do I do with this?” she asked.

“Write it down.” Audrey put a finger on the flyer, and Lyra nodded. She copied down what the voice on the phone told her. It sounded like an address. A lot of numbers were mixed in there, too. Humans seemed to really like numbers.

“Did you get all that?” the voice said.

Lyra finished writing and nodded. Then, remembering the human on the other side probably couldn’t see her, either, she added, “I’ve got it.”

“My schedule’s pretty open this weekend. Think you could make it tomorrow afternoon sometime? Just wanna hear how you sound, that’s all.”

“Tomorrow...” Lyra glanced over at Audrey. “Yeah, I’d like that.”

“I’ll see you then. Bring your own music. Looking forward to hearing you.”

The sound suddenly cut off from the other end. Lyra held the phone away and stared at it, trying to figure out what had gone wrong.

“Press the red button,” Audrey told her. Lyra tried one. “The other one, on the side.” That seemed to work. A flashing time was displayed on the phone now.

“So what happens now?” Lyra asked. She handed the phone back to Audrey.

“You said you’d audition for him tomorrow, right?” Audrey said. “My parents will both be at work again, and I don’t have a car...” She thought for a moment, then started pressing numbers on the phone again. Her fingers moved quickly. Lyra watched how she used it - it was much more natural and easy for Audrey.

“Hey, Nathan? Are you busy tomorrow?”


The doorbell rang the next afternoon.

“That’s probably him. Go answer it, I’ll print this out.” Audrey had barely looked up. She was using something she’d called “Google Maps” - though it looked more like another television instead of a map. And she was sitting way too close to it.

Lyra headed downstairs and opened the front door.

“Oh hey, Lyra,” Nathan stood there, a ring of keys hanging from one hand. “Is Audrey here?”

“Hi! Audrey’s upstairs. I’m not sure what she was doing,” Lyra said.

They heard footsteps coming down the stairs, and a moment later Audrey was there carrying a piece of paper. She handed it to Nathan.

“I just got the directions printed. Thanks for offering to drive her.”

“Not like I was busy or anything today.” He stared down at what she’d given him. From the glimpse Lyra was able to get, it looked like a map - a very complicated one. “I think I know where this is...”

“We don’t really know much about this guy, but he seemed okay on the phone,” Audrey said. “Just be careful.”

“Will do.” Nathan nodded and looked up from the map. “Ready to head out, Lyra?”

“Yeah, I’ll just get my guitar.”

“Technically, it’s still mine.”

“Right…” Lyra said. She headed back up to her room. She packed up the guitar into its case, slung it over her shoulder, and lifted up the heavy amplifier, her fingers straining with the weight.

Once she was downstairs, she almost dropped it in front of the two humans. “Now I’m ready,” she said, panting.

“I can get it the rest of the way. My car’s in the driveway.” Nathan pointed over his shoulder with his thumb, towards the front door.

“Your…?”

Lyra followed him out to the front yard, where one of those carriages was waiting. It wasn’t the same one that was usually there – this one was grey, and it was one of the smaller ones.

“We’re taking that?”

Nathan slammed down a hatch on the backside. “Yeah. Don’t worry – I haven’t had my license that long, but I’m a very safe driver. You’ve got nothing to worry about.”

He circled around to one of the front doors and got inside Lyra stood completely still for a moment, but he gave her a look as if telling her to get in.

“Go ahead and put the guitar on the back seat,” he told her.

She nodded, and found the door handle. Her fingers slipped up inside it and it pulled outwards. The back seat was covered in all sorts of things - papers, a metal can, some shopping bags. She put the guitar on top of the mess, closed the door, and went around to the other side to get in the front seat next to him, on the right side.

There were all kinds of buttons like the ones on the phone or the stereo, a lever in between the seats, and some kind of wheel in front of Nathan. Like a ship, Lyra realized – he’d probably use that to steer. The seats were soft, but there was almost no leg room.

“Where’d I put that...” he said. He looked over and found the map. “Ah. There it is.”

Lyra was still taking inventory of the vehicle. A cup sat near Nathan’s seat - there were two indentations perfectly sized to it, one next to it that had a few coins in it.

He turned a key and the entire vehicle shook. There was some kind of a loud rumble from behind them. Lyra could feel her heart pounding in her chest. It had been loud, and when they started rolling backwards out into the street she could barely keep her eyes open.

“What’s wrong? Carsick?”

She managed to open her eyes just a little, then squeezed them shut again. “No, I’m… fine. I’ll be fine.” She might have been talking to herself.

“Lyra, have you ever been in a car before?”

“One of these?” Her legs tensed up. She stared at them. Better those than the windows.

A memory suddenly played out in Lyra’s mind – Rainbow Dash pulling her out of the runaway apple cart just seconds before it careened over the side of a cliff. In this vehicle they were completely enclosed and had even strapped themselves in. Not to mention she hadn’t seen a pegasus in over a week.

That didn't make her feel any better. “Well… once.”

“Just once?” He glanced over at her for just a moment, then looked ahead again.

“It wasn’t exactly like this. But… similar. We didn’t have these where I was from.”

He nodded slowly, even though he was obviously confused. “Don’t worry. We’re not going that far.” He kept his eyes focused ahead, without turning when he spoke to her. “Where’d you come from that you’ve never been in a car before?”

Lyra sighed. “Is it normal to ask this many questions when you’ve just met somebody?”

“Right… You’ve probably been hearing a lot from Audrey. It's not just you. She likes to analyze people,” Nathan said. “The whole reason she took you in is probably because you’re such a mystery. Though it does make sense that she’d want to figure out more about you.”

“I’m just a normal human.” Lyra noticed her own reflection in a mirror attached to the side of the car.

“You really don’t want to talk about it, huh? I won’t pressure you.”

“There’s nothing wrong with me.”

“Maybe not, but I’d still say you’re a long way from normal.”

Nathan seemed completely calm. Lyra watched his hands, and that distracted her from what was going on. They gripped the wheel as they drove through the city, and he’d move it to either side when the carriage changed direction. As she’d assumed, it was the steering mechanism. After some time Lyra was getting used to the motion, but she still felt curious about how this thing moved at all.

They were going much faster than a carriage would. The speed wasn’t as noticeable from the inside as it was when you watched one from the sidewalk. They slowed down again as they entered another neighborhood.

The drive had only been a few minutes, even if it had seemed much longer than that. And they must have been miles away from Audrey’s house. They’d pulled up in front of a brick building, and Nathan was peering out the windows at the number on the mailbox.

“This is it… You’re sure you want to go in there?”

“That’s where we’re supposed to go, isn’t it? You had the map.”

“Well, yeah, but…” He kept glancing around.

“I’m not nervous at all. I’ve been practicing a ton,” Lyra said. “I’m sure he’ll let me join.”

Nathan just stared at her. “That’s not what I’m concerned about.”

Lyra searched around for the release to the strap across her chest, and clicked it down. She opened the door and stepped out, her legs still shaking. She braced herself with one arm against the car until it stopped. “What are you waiting for? Come on!”

“Lyra, don’t you think – “ Nathan started to call out to her, but she had already grabbed her guitar and was headed for the front door. He let out a sigh and left the car, double-checking to be sure he had locked it.

She searched around the edge of the door. “They don’t have one of those…” There was no doorbell, so she made a fist and knocked. It hurt her knuckles, they weren't as sturdy as a hoof.

“I’m just saying, if this doesn’t turn out well, just let me know. We can head right back,” Nathan said. He made a gesture behind him, towards the car.

The door opened and another human stood there, taller and bulkier than Nathan. He lifted a hand to push his stringy dark hair out of his eyes. It was about as long as Lyra’s own.

“Um… I’m here about the band?” Lyra said.

He nodded. “Right, right… You’re the girl who wanted to try out for guitar. I was expecting you. Come on in. Let’s talk.”

Lyra quickly followed him inside, but Nathan touched her on the arm. “You’re sure about this?”

“Come on. He’s a human just like we are.”

“I didn’t doubt that.”

“You guys coming?” The man looked back at them.

“Yeah!” Lyra put a hand to the guitar case on her back and hurried in to the living room.”

They were invited to sit down on a couch, and the other man took a lumpy armchair across from them. He nodded towards Lyra. “You were the one on the phone?” He looked her over. “You seem a little young.”

“Oh, it’s fine. I’m sixteen.”

“Right… You must be the one I talked to yesterday,” he said. “You can just call me Randall.”

His voice sounded kind of like the one she’d heard on the phone, but it was weird to think that they’d already talked if she was just meeting him for the first time now. She noticed the odd artwork on his T-shirt - unusually detailed, even for human clothing. It had what must be a human zombie on it, and the words “Iron Maiden” in red.

“Are you the one in charge?” Lyra said. This wasn’t like the auditions she was used to coming to, but then again, those had all been with ponies.

“Gotta say I’m glad that we’ve got somebody willing to be our guitarist. A band can’t really hold itself together without one, you know?”

“Uh… yeah.”

“So you’re…?”

“Lyra.”

“Lyra…?” His voice trailed off expectantly.

She stared at him. “That’s what I said.”

“You got a last name, Lyra?”

“Nope. Just Lyra.”

His expression was blank for a moment, then he laughed. “Well, okay then. So, just-Lyra, got any performance experience?”

“Yeah. A ton.” She beamed with pride. “I was chosen to play at the royal Gala back home, as a matter of fact.”

“A… royal Gala.” He leaned back on the sofa. “What, are you British?”

Lyra frowned. “I don’t think so...”

“Well, anyways, let’s hear what you’ve got. All that really matters is if you can play. Am I right?”

“Yeah...”

Nathan stood up. “I’ll go get the amp out of the trunk. You go ahead, Lyra.” He hurried out.

Randall lifted a finger. “So that was...?”

“My friend Nathan. He’s lending me the guitar.”

She noticed on his left arm he had a twisting black pattern. It looked like a dragon – like the ones she'd seen in the dragon migration, or that time when Spike had grown to his full size. That was the only time she’d ever seen a full-size dragon up close. “How’d you get that?”

“Oh, this?” He lifted up his arm and glanced down at it. “Heh. I woke up one morning with a splitting headache and this happened. Who knows what else went on that night.”

“Fascinating…” Not only did this human have a cutie mark, he didn’t even remember how he earned it.

He opened a door and led her into another room. “We usually play in here. I’ll let you get set up.” He touched something on the wall and an entire wall rumbled and started pulling itself up.

Outside, Nathan was carrying the amp up to the house, and walked inside the room where they were. He glanced around. “Wow. A literal garage band.”

"We use what we've got," Randall said.

It was like a tool shed attached to the house, with a solid stone floor stained with something black. Lyra got to work setting up the amplifier. It was still difficult to remember how to set this thing up – she’d kept it ready to be used in her room ever since the first time she’d used it so that she wouldn’t have to worry about this part.

“Need some help?” Randall said, raising an eyebrow. He took one of the cords and plugged it into the wall.

“No, I… I think I’ve got it.” Lyra was crouched down, trying to figure out all the cords. She found the end that plugged into the guitar and clicked it into place, then stood up. “I’m ready.”

“Let’s hear it.” He stood back with his arms folded.

Lyra started into “Smoke on the Water.” It was her newest song, but one of her favorites. She put all her concentration into her fingers and the sound of the guitar. She practically forgot about the two humans standing there watching her, or the cold and dirty room they were standing in. When you really got down to it, this wasn’t too different than trying out for a concert in Canterlot. If she was good enough at the music, she had nothing to worry about.

After a few minutes, Randall raised one hand. “That’s fine. That’s enough.”

Lyra stopped and lifted her head up. She brushed her hair out of her eyes. “Was it good?”

“Yeah. Great, in fact,” Randall said. “I mean, I was just about to let you in no matter what you sounded like. We’ve been a bit desperate. But that… how long’ve you been playing?”

“Just about my whole life.” It wasn’t technically a lie. He just hadn’t asked what she’d been playing. Or how. Lyra flexed her fingers. “Who did you mean by ‘we?’”

“I’ll introduce you to the other band members later. Practice’ll be next Monday afternoon.”

“So… I’m in?” Lyra started to grin.

“Welcome to Crimson Thunder.”

She couldn’t believe it. A human band. She was going to be playing music with other humans!

She ran up to shake Randall’s hand vigorously. “Thank you so much!”

He stared at her in mild surprise, his eyes wide. “I guess I’ll see you then.”

“Right... Monday afternoon.” She nodded, still grinning.

If she hadn't already been here for so long already, Lyra would have sworn she was just having an incredibly vivid dream. What would Bon-Bon think of her now?