• Published 12th Apr 2020
  • 2,777 Views, 16 Comments

Harmonic Melody - Nailah



Octavia has always considered herself a mare with high standards, but one fateful morning she wakes up to discover that the standards have changed. Now what?

  • ...
8
 16
 2,777

The talk

“Um, about what Tavi?” questioned Vinyl, as she let go of Octavia and tilted her head to the side, shrugging her shoulders, and pushing her front forehoof against the floor.

“Where were you last night?” began Octavia, staring at her, wanting Vinyl to know she was serious about this matter. It wasn’t something she was just going to let go so easily.

“Oh! I was at the club. We’ve been prepping for this huge party coming up this weekend. I thought I told you about it?” questioned Vinyl, wrapping a forehoof around her best friend and roommate. “Hey, Tavi you look exhausted. You should chill. Relax.”

“I don’t have the time to relax Vinyl.” she shoved her hoof away from her, almost in disgust. “Unlike most ponies around this place, I have work to do, obligations to fulfill, and the one thing I would like is to know where you are always wandering off too.” Octavia snorted, tilting her chin sideways and lidding her eyes, hoping Vinyl would get the message by the tapping of her hoof that this bothered her.

“Tavi...ah come on. I thought you knew about the night club.” Vinyl said, backing up slightly. Vinyl Scratch swore she had mentioned this to Tavi weeks in advance, though it was possible it had slipped her mind.

“I faintly recall you telling me about it, but I’ve just been so busy with preparing for the Gala, I wasn’t thinking straight. I’m just glad you’re here. It’s good to see you again.” replied Octavia, embracing her, and nuzzling her affectionately. She sighed.

“Awwhh, Tavi. You know I always come back. After all there’s no pony else I’d rather bunk with,” smirked Vinyl, winking at her.

Octavia couldn’t help dwelling on Mrs.Cake’s words. She bit her bottom lip as she sought to address this matter too. How did she feel about Vinyl? Staring at her like she was a piece of candy, Octavia couldn’t deny her friend was attractive, and wild. Compared to her calm and relaxed nature, Vinyl was wild and reckless, but full of energy, and always knew how to have a good time.

“Tavi? Are you quite alright? You sorta just blanked out there for a minute.” Vinyl asked, waving her forehoof in front of Octavia to get her attention back on the real world.

“Oh course I’m alright! Why would you even ask such a thing? Oh...it’s been such a long week. I’m exhausted.” Octavia said She didn’t want to address this now. Maybe tomorrow. Yes, she would talk with Vinyl in the morning. For now she was simply going to enjoy the quiet.

“Uh...well you just seemed like you were distracted, and you were just staring at me,” Vinyl said, shrugging her shoulders, and looking around the room.

“It’s nothing. Now, why don’t you tell me more about this club of yours? I don’t mind listening.”

“But Tavi...I thought you said you hated the club?” Vinyl asked. She raised a brow as Octavia gestured with a forehoof and she sat down on her bed, wanting to hear the story.

“Well...okay but don’t blame me if I bore you to tears or something like that.”

“It was totally rocking. Neon Lights and I met before hanging with the others. I’m sure you know the guy, he hangs around Canterlot a lot. I’m pretty sure the guy has got a crush on you. He talks about you a lot.”

Octavia sighed heavily at that, and sulked her head down onto her forehooves, burying her face.

“Ugh, don’t remind me. Do continue…” Octavia groaned. The less she thought of that trifle idiot stallion the better.

“The colors and the mix we were setting up for the party was a total blast. I mixed up some beats that were down yet funky. Neon was working out some dance routines and setting up the table and chairs. After everything was set up, we sat down and just you know, talked. About you.”

“Oh Celestia...Do I even want to know what you two talked about?” Octavia asked, truly wondering if she had wanted to hear this or not.

“Awwh come on, it was nothing bad. He was just mentioning how much of a hard worker you are. The dude’s crazy about you. Do try to let him down easy now, “ Vinyl teased, and Octavia pouted.

“Anyways...he and I were chilling at the club, I totally lost track of time, didn’t end up back until you were totally passed out from exhaustion. Though it was still pretty radical though. You should come, it’ll be lively.”

“Thanks for the invitation Vinyl, but the gala is in a few days. I don’t have time to party.” spoke Octavia as she laid down on her back, and covered herself up. “Goodnight.”

“Night.” replied Vinyl with a shrug. “You don’t know what you’re missing.”

Octavia dreamt of what life would be like if she and Vinyl were a couple. She imagined Pinkie Pie throwing them a celebration party, but how much different would things be? It wasn’t like she didn’t spend a good amount of her time with Vinyl already. And she couldn’t deny Vinyl was attractive, and had a personality that always kept her thinking. She was fun, quaint, and even charming. There was just no way to describe Vinyl other than a good time. With a smile upon her lips, Octavia was going to talk with Vinyl once morning came. She had to know. Did she feel the same way or was she merely wishing for something that wouldn’t be. What if she liked Neon? Oh Celestia help her if that was the case. She tossed and turned, unable to sleep quite right, with the many ideas stirring through her mind.

She woke up groaning, and yawning quite loudly, she immediately covered her mouth, ashamed and blushing.

“How rude of me. What time is it?” she asked herself as she looked around for her clock.

~~~~

“What the hell are you?” questioned a young male voice staring at her. Octavia gazed up towards the voice. Standing there in front of her was what looked like a human. He had short, wavy brown hair, and deep hazel eyes. He wore a simple T-shirt and shorts, and appeared to be wearing something in his ears, with a long line that went down into the pocket of his shorts. Octavia recalled Twilight telling her about the mirror and the other world. Was she still dreaming?

“I am Octavia, and I am an Earth pony. I would think that was blatantly obvious.”

“Octavia? Pony! What? There’s a fucking pastel pony in my room. Man...what am I going to do?” he asked hearing creaking footsteps heading up to his room.

“Such language, didn’t your mother teach you proper manners young...man.” Octavia said, suddenly she felt him pushing her into a pile of clothes and putting a finger on his lips.

“Sssshhh. Be quiet,” He stood in front of his closet, quickly closing the door as his mother walked in.

“Son, I thought I heard a strange noise. Are you quite alright?” She asked, concerned.

Octavia could barely make out a shadow of a reflection, but the tone of the other human sounded feminine, and worried for this young boy.

“I’m fine mom. Just listening to some beats.” Dylan replied, scratching the back of his brown wavy locks, waiting as she walked off and closed the door behind him. “Phew...that was a close call. People are going to think I’m crazy or something. I’ve got a pony in my closet...Damn.

Right I’ve got a pony in my closet!” he hurried to open the door.

Octavia fell down to the floor, gazing upwards, tapping her hoof on the soft ground beneath her. She shoved a shirt off of her head, and some shorts off of her tail.

“It’s rude to just shove someone in a closet you know. And you still haven’t told me who you are.” Octavia reminded him, sitting on her haunches, and crossing her arms across her chest. She was not about to be stifled by a human of all things. Maybe Lyra wasn’t crazy after all. But how did she even get here? She really hoped she’d wake up from this crazy dream soon. It was just rather strange.

“Um...I’m Dylan and the reason I did that was because you're a talking pony for Christ’s sake. Do you know what would happen if my parents found I was talking to an animal? They’d think I was mad or worse…” Dylan shuttered.

Octavia took note of his room while he talked. He had posters all over his walls of young human girls in skimpy clothing, that didn’t leave much to the imagination. She noticed behind him was a computer on a desk, that also had a lamp beside it, with a chair. His bed was off to the right side, and he was standing in the middle of the room, on the other side from the bed were dressers, was this where the clothes were supposed to go? And not on her head particularly.

“First of all, I am a pony. Secondly what is wrong with the fact I talk? As far as I know all ponies can speak.”

“I can’t believe this...I’m talking to a pony. I’ve lost my mind. You’re not real. You’re just my imagination.” he said blinking and looking at her again.

“I assure you, I’m very real. Now would someone please explain to me how I got here? Princess Twilight told me of the mirror, but your skin is peachy, I was expecting some strange color like blue.” Octavia retorted, huffing. She sighed heavily. Whatever was going on, she didn’t like it, suddenly spending a night with Neon didn’t seem so bad.

“Listen pony, I don’t know how you got here. I mean I don’t even know how you can talk. So yeah, sorry dude but you’ll have to figure that out yourself.” replied Dylan with a shrug of his shoulders.

“Octavia. Oc-tavi-a. I have a name just like you do. Dylan.” she said, remembering the name he had clearly been given by his parents.

“Okay, Octavia. I still don’t know how you got here though. I was listening to my music and then all of a sudden, I heard what sounded like a crash and turned to find there was a pony in my room. Which I really wish I was dreaming…”

“So do I. But it doesn’t seem like this is a dream, and Luna is nowhere to be found.” Octavia said, amiss. Whatever was going on, this wasn’t looking good for her or this strange human.

“Who’s Luna?” questioned Dylan curiously as he was staring at this pony. She had a gray coat, with some sort of musical note upon her flank. She had long silky black hair and violet hues. He couldn’t deny she wasn’t a typical pony. She was different, more vibrant and far more interesting then any real horse he had ever seen.

“Luna is one of the Princesses where I am from and she controls the dream realm. Though you wouldn’t know that if you aren’t from there. Don’t you know a Vice Principal Luna?”

“Pfft. Our Principal is a guy first of all, and he’s a total jackass. This Luna sounds much more pleasant.” Dylan retorted as he couldn’t help staring at Octavia.

“You know it’s rude to stare,” said Octavia huffing. Granted she had stared at him at first too. This whole thing just felt too weird to be real, and yet here she was, in a new strange world with a young teenage boy that wore clothes that reminded her of a punk.

“Sorry. It’s just...you’re a pony and talking. It’s weird.”

“So are you. Can we move on? If I’m going to be stuck here I would like to get past the weird part.”

“Right...So um. This world we are in is known as Earth. And well it’s kind of flat and rather dull. I try to keep it interesting with my music though. I go to school like any normal kid. Oh shit. School. You can’t come with me to school. You’re going to have to stay here during the day. Though you can’t let anyone but me see you.” Dylan said, fidgeting in place.

“You can’t expect me to stay cooped up here forever.” Octavia retorted huffing.

“Not forever, just for a few days. Give me some time to find out a place where you can stay where you won’t be judged or studied. You’re going to have to trust me.” said Dylan.

“You are suggesting I trust a complete stranger with a half naked woman in his room? I think I’d rather take my chances with the outside world,” Octavia retorted, giving him a dirty scowl.

“Listen, you don’t have to trust me. Just stay here for a few days and let me think of something.”

“Three days, that’s it, then I’m leaving this place.” Octavia replied. She missed Vinyl right about now. She wondered how she was doing…