• Published 12th Apr 2020
  • 2,778 Views, 16 Comments

Harmonic Melody - Nailah



Octavia has always considered herself a mare with high standards, but one fateful morning she wakes up to discover that the standards have changed. Now what?

  • ...
8
 16
 2,778

Preparations

The gentle hum of the music finally ceased to a halt, she could hear the waves of applause from the crowd. A soft comforting smile forming upon her lips, as she bowed towards the ground, leaning one hoof against her massive cello. She exited the stage with the rest of the Orchestra.

“Nice performance Octavia, but then again you never disappoint.” smirked Neon Lights, jabbing her in the side, causing a muffled groan from her lips.

“It isn’t in my nature to disappoint Neon, I thought you’d know that by now. Now if you don’t mind, I would very much like to be off. Vinyl will be expecting me home.” she retorted, snuffing up her nose, and shaking her head, rolling her eyes and moving onwards away from current annoyances.

Octavia sighed, and packed her cello into its case, locking it shut, and strapping it over her back, locking the door to her room that Celestia had so kindly arranged for her and headed home. Her smile always brightened by the thought of returning to whence she came. She and Vinyl might not exactly be the same, but they agreed enough to live together. It gave her this strange sense of comfort and solace knowing she was there. Knowing that no matter what happened, she could count on Vinyl to be there.

Octavia took the train home, the ride was always relaxing and soothing. She closed her eyelids and listened to the gentle hum of an audiobook through headphones that Vinyl had given her as a gift. When the train stopped at Ponyville, she got off and immediately went to her house. It was getting dark, surely Vinyl would either be in bed by now or be mysteriously missing, she hoped she’d be there, it was always refreshing to see her. Not as much to be tackled the minute she stepped inside.

Octavia opened the door to their little home, stepping inside. She placed her cello against the wall ever so delicately before clearing her throat.

“Vinyl, I’m home.” she announced. She waited, bracing herself for the impact. Blinking when she came to the realization the tackle hug wasn’t coming, she let out a sigh of relief, and a heavy sigh of disappointment. “Gone again. Where in Celestia does she go at night?” she walked over to Vinyl’s side of the place. Everything seemed like it was a complete and utter mess, and yet Vinyl always assured her it was “a chaotic organized mess” how could that be? It simply baffled her, but she easily found the note on the table.

“Hey Octavia, I’m going out tonight and I didn’t want you to worry. You can be a bit dramatic at times. I won’t be home till morning.

Vinyl.

“She even put a little scribble of me at the bottom. How cute.” Octavia scuffed up her nose, shaking her head. “At least she’s a musician, her art leaves much to be desired....” She put the letter to the side and walked back to her side of the place. At least she could enjoy a quiet evening.

Octavia glanced over towards Vinyl’s side of things, and her own more organized side. Her roommate was quite the wild one. It wasn’t unusual for this to happen, but after the long day she had really been hoping to spend a bit of time with a close friend, whom she treasured deeply. The house just didn’t feel right without her here with her. Octavia smirked as she thought they might not agree on many things, but they agreed they needed each other.

“It’s almost too quiet without her.” Octavia retorted to herself as she prepared for an evening of rest. She had a long week ahead of her. Though a musician's work was never truly done. There was always another performance and she had to keep practicing so that she’d stay in the flow as well as the other musicians in her troupe. Octavia gently laid herself down onto the bed, covering herself with the blanket, and lidding her eyes. She opened them once looking over once more to Vinyl’s side of the room.

“I must remind her to tidy up her side by morning light.” With that, she lidded her eyes and drifted off into a soft slumber. Dreaming of classical tunes to soothe the very soul.

Octavia stirred awake, yawning, and stretching out a bit before sitting up and rubbing her eyelids. She looked over for any sign of her roommate.

“Still not here I see.” she spoke aloud as she got up and went to make herself some breakfast. She knew she needed to catch the nine o’clock train, but she had hoped to speak with Vinyl before she left. It seemed that the likelihood of talking to her was growing more dim by the minute, and minutes she didn’t have to spare. She took up a pad and scribbled down a note for her to read.

“Dear Vinyl,
I tried to wait for your return but it seems your “evening events’ keep you too busy to come home. I must go to Canterlot for yet another practice for the upcoming events. I do hope you are safe wherever you are. If you need to reach me, I’ll be staying up in Canterlot.

Sincerely,

Octavia.

Octavia put the note right on her DJ stand. The one place she knew she wouldn’t miss seeing it. She grabbed her cello strapping it to her back once more and headed out the door, she locked it shut tightly behind her knowing Vinyl had her own key. Octavia trotted towards the train station, but she made a quick detour by Sugarcube Corner. She wasn’t as crazy about sweets as Vinyl, but she did enjoy them occasionally. She walked in, clearing her throat as she spoke up in an elegant manner.

“I would like to order a dozen cupcakes. You may decorate them however you wish, but I’d like if they’d have vanilla inside of them.”

“Oh of course hun. That’ll be no trouble at all. I do say I haven’t seen you around here for awhile. Surprised you’re plus one isn’t here.” Ms.Cake chuckled.

Octavia blushed slightly, fidgeting in place, clearing her throat once more. “Um, Vinyl and I are just roommates not girlfriends.”

“Oh heavens. I shouldn’t have assumed, it’s just you two are always together and get along so well. Sort of reminds me of how I act around my husband.” Mrs. Cake smiled politely.

Octavia put the bits on the counter and sat down while she waited for her order to be filled. It wasn't like she was in a hurry. Octavia couldn’t help but ponder on Mrs.Cakes words. Her and Vinyl in a relationship? She had never even considered it, of course she cared quite dearly for her roommate but as any good friend would, not as a lover would. Did she love her? Octavia had to ask herself that. But just as she was about to think of an answer, she heard Mrs. Cake calling her.

“Your order is done. I do wish you well hun. Do not strain that beautiful voice too much.”

Octavia was about to mention she wasn’t a singer, when she noticed the time. She had to get going or she’d miss her train. She put the cupcake box carefully in her mouth and ran to the train station, the sweat drops running down her face as she finally approached, hurrying to hand the conductor her ticket and hopping onto the train just in the knick of time. She wiped her brow and sighed heavily. All of this trouble for cupcakes. Well she was sure her orchestra buddies would enjoy them.

“Hey Octavia!” Neon Lights called out as she arrived.

“Hello Neon…” she spoke with a bit of a restrained sigh in her tone. When would this stallion take the hint you were not interested?

“So...I’m curious you got a date for the gala yet?” he asked curiously, a slight blush rising on his cheeks.

“No. I will be performing. I will not be attending the gala for fun. Unlike most ponies around here I have responsibilities to fulfill, now if you don’t mind I must be going. The others are expecting me.” She retorted, trying to push past him and move towards the Canterlot Castle where the gala would be held.

“Aww...come on Octavia.” pouted Neon Lights, ears drooping slightly as he kicked at the dirt.

Octavia smiled slightly. Good riddance. She arrived to meet up with the rest of the Orchestral crew and gave them each a cupcake, and she still had a few left if any pony wanted another. After all there were only about eight of them in the orchestra. Octavia couldn’t help her mind wondering if Vinyl had gotten home yet and had gotten her note. She sure hoped so, she really wanted to talk about Vinyl. Perhaps figure out how she felt about other ponies assuming they were an “item”.

“Octavia, are you quite alright?” asked Piano Keys, a concerned expression forming upon his lips. He put a hoof on Octavia’s shoulder.

“Why wouldn’t I be? I’m fine.” Octavia retorted, a slight drop of sweat ran down her cheek. It was only partly true. She was worried about Vinyl, and she never really made a fuss of her going out like this before. Did she feel something for her roommate? She shook her head instinctively. No...they were just friends. Nothing more, nothing less. It was less complicated that way.

The performance that evening was quite the spectate, they had a grand audience that Princess Celestia had gathered for them. Octavia played her heart out, trying to show through her music how strongly she felt a connection with not only music but with a certain pony. She didn’t even realise she was blushing. The crowd applauded them once more, and Octavia bowed towards the crowd, before each of them took turns exiting the stage. Octavia’s lips rose into a slight smile as she wiped the slight sweat drops off her face. She was tired once again it was time to head home. It seemed like this was the normal routine nowadays, She’d leave early in the morning, get her performance practice out of the way, have the actual performance and then go home to greet her roommate. Just lately her roommate hadn’t been home, and Octavia was starting to get a little concerned by her absences.

“That was quite the performance, we were very impressed with all of you.” spoke Princess Celestia towards the group. Octavia as well as the others bowed before the Princess, merely out of respect.

“Thank you, your Majesty.” Octavia replied, raising her head ever so slightly.

“You may stand up now. You needn’t bow to me. Every pony should be treated the same. Now if you don’t mind, I must be off. I must read a certain letter I’m expecting.”

With that Celestia was off, and Octavia was ready to head home. She felt sluggish from the past week of preparation. She headed for the train station, she was ready to return to Ponyville after this whole week was finally over. She intended to have a talk with Vinyl as soon as she returned.

“I sure hope she’s home, and if she isn’t I’m going to go after her. That pony really needs to learn how to stay still for at least one night.” she sighed as a few of the ponies traveling on the train, gave her stares like she was crazy. She tilted her head back, groaning, doing her best to ignore the stifles of the onlooking ponies. She’d be home soon enough and she could finally rest for a few days before the Gala was upon them.

Octavia got off of the train and headed to her home. She wasn’t about to waste any time. She opened the door once more.

“Vinyl, I’m back.”

“Tavi!” replied Vinyl, jumping at her, causing her to chuckle, and pet the top of her vibrant colored mane.

“I’m glad to see you too Vinyl, it’s good to be home.” smiled Octavia. Finally, she could rest, but she wasn’t about to forget to scold Vinyl. “We need to talk.”

Author's Note:

So I decided to do something different! I'm challenging myself to write 2k a day of this new story. Whether I can actually do it, well that remains to be seen! But do let me know what you think. This is my first time write Octavia, and I'd love to hear feedback. Thank you for reading this. <3