• Published 17th Dec 2011
  • 6,159 Views, 149 Comments

In Duty's Name - Cloudhammer



A Royal Guard pegasus gets more than he bargained for on his last deployment

  • ...
17
 149
 6,159

11 - Homecoming

Chapter 11 – Homecoming

Zecora watched the sun slowly slide below the horizon, taking a few deep breaths as the scents of the savannah she had been so long separated from filled her lungs. She simultaneously wanted to just let herself run forward into the grass, let her hooves feel the dry earth beneath them, yet wanted to turn around and gallop in the other direction for as long as her legs would take her. She knew all too well the punishment that faced those who had left under circumstances such as hers, and the prospect of facing it made her knees weak. Suddenly, a memory gently brushed those fears aside with overwhelming force.

‘We’re your friends, and we won’t let anything happen to you.’ Fluttershy’s gentle voice rang inside her head, startling her out of her dark thoughts in time to realize that Cloudhammer had been saying something to her. “I apologize for my distraction, could you repeat your question?”

Cloudhammer narrowed his eyes for a moment, then spoke again, “I was asking if you felt that we can continue into the savannah at night or not. You know the terrain here better than anypony else does, after all.”

Zecora shook her head. “It is not safe to be out at night. The native predators here excel at hiding from sight. For them even a group of ponies would be a real treat, fit only to sate their hunger for fresh meat.”

Cloudhammer sighed. “Very well, we’ll set up camp here. I’ll take the middle watch. Applejack, I want you to take first watch, and Twilight will take the third. Anypony got a problem with it?” He looked to Twilight as she raised a hoof. “Yes?”

Twilight lowered her hoof slightly at Cloudhammer’s steady gaze, but steeled herself and straightened back up. “Why me? Why not Rainbow or Pinkie?”

“I’m not in the habit of explaining myself, but I suppose I can make an exception. First, you can detect things with your magic that you might not be able to see. Second, Rainbow I want well-rested so she can fly overhead tomorrow to keep an eye out for danger. Third, Pinkie and Rainbow took the watch the other night, so it’s somepony else’s turn to do it. Now, am I going to have any complaints Twilight?” Cloudhammer looked at her evenly.

Twilight thought about it for a moment, and decided that his plan did make sense, though she didn’t like the idea of waking up so early. “No, no problem at all…” she grumbled.

“Good, now let’s get some rest, we’ve got a lot of unfamiliar ground to cover tomorrow.” Cloudhammer ignored the round of muttered complaints as he stamped out a spot to sleep, but choosing to sit and watch the sunset first. Everypony else found their own sleeping spots on the hill and were soon dozing off on their own mats, Applejack coming over to sit next to Cloudhammer.

“So, do ya’ll think we’ll find somethin to fix what’s goin on back in Equestria?”

Cloudhammer shrugged his wings. “Doesn’t really matter what I think, Celestia thinks that something out here can help. If it exists, we’ll find it and bring it back, no matter what.”

Applejack snorted, digging a hoof idly at the dirt. “Spose you’re righ’ bout that. So tell me, Ah heard from Rainbow that ya’ll told her some story about how some Guard pony was up fer promotion tah Captain, and some other Guards beat tha livin tar outta him to make sure he was worthy of it. Now, Rainbow said that must make all ya’ll Guards crazy because tha means ya went through the same thing. But somethin about that just don’t add up tah me. Ah got a feelin that was you, wasn’t it?”

Cloudhammer looked at her levelly, then looked back up to finish watching the sun slide below the horizon. “Do you know why I told her that story Applejack?”

Thinking about it for a minute, Applejack finally said. “Can’t say Ah do. Mind explainin?”

“I told her because it was she needed to hear. I’ve spent most of my life training Guard recruits, and have seen more than a few fall apart because of a blow to their confidence. Rainbow was on the same path, and so I decided to tell her the story to show her she had a choice. She could give up and run away, or she could pony up and not back down in the face of her fear of failure.”

Applejack mulled it over. “So ah take it you had the same idea when ya told me what ya told me in tha woods?”

“That’s something you’ll have to figure out on your own. Wake me a third of the way through the night, and get some sleep once you do. Tomorrow’s going to be a long day for us all.” With that, Cloudhammer stamped the grass that had tried to stand back up and lay down, soon closing his eyes.

Applejack shook her head in irritation at his being so cryptic, before walking back to the spot she’d chosen to take the watch.

Zecora stirred as the rising sun warmed her hide. Her nostrils flared as the smells of the savannah filled them, wondering how the others in her tribe were doing on this wonderful morning. Yawning as she stretched, she suddenly remembered everything; the crushing terror, the feel of the wind in her mane and the dirt underhoof as she fled, finally escaping the thunderous hooves of her pursuers. For a fear-filled moment she could hear them approaching, catching her in the halfway state between wakefulness and sleep as they had failed so long ago. With a short cry, she surged to her hooves, eyes snapping open wildly as she swung her head back and forth.

Twilight practically leaped five hooves into the air at Zecora’s outburst, crashing to the ground in a tangle of limbs. Flailing about on the ground for a moment, she sorted out her legs and got to her hooves. “Zecora! Is everything alright?”

“My apologies Twilight, for causing a scene. It was nothing more than a bad dream.” The zebra replied, sighing as she shook the remnants of the dream from her mind.

“Well, I hope that it won’t become an issue when we’re traveling into the zebra lands. I take it that you don’t speak the zebra language Twilight?” Cloudhammer asked as he pushed himself to his hooves, shaking himself to resettle his armor. Twilight and Zecora both wondered how it was that despite sleeping in the armor all the time, Cloudhammer not only never got stiff, but the armor remained clean.

“N…No, I never had the chance while I was studying under Celestia, and Ponyville’s library was devoid of any books at all on zebras.” Twilight admitted.

“So unless the zebras speak Equestrian, then we’ll be counting on you.” Cloudhammer stated matter-of-factly as he turned to look out over the savannah. “In any case, let’s get moving. The longer we take, the more Equestria is going to suffer.”

Applejack had thought the desert sun was harsh, but the savannah soon proved it could get a lot worse. The air here was still drier than what she was used to, but not as dry as the desert, which meant she was sweating more. Looking in front of her, she could see it was especially irritating for Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, the two pegasi holding their wings out slightly to try and keep their feathers dry. Even Pinkie seemed to be affected, her normally poofy mane sagging somewhat as sweat began to soak it, though at least her attitude was cheerfully aggravating as usual.

Cloudhammer had chosen to have the group walk in a similar group to how they had gotten through the Everfree Forest, with him leading next to Zecora, Twilight and Rarity on the sides, Rainbow, Fluttershy and Pinkie in the middle, and herself bringing up their rear. She was a little miffed at once again being the last pony in the group, but had to admit that it made sense.

Looking around at the scenery, she once again marveled at the sheer expanse of the savannah. She’d not seen so much grass in her life, and taking an experimental bite, decided that she would be satisfied with just the one trip. The grass, while having the right taste, was entirely too dry; she supposed Big Mac would be more than happy with it, given his propensity for chewing on a sprig of dried grass all the time. She turned her head to the left to spit the offending mouthful out, and froze for a second as she spotted a slightly darker patch of grass about twenty hooves from the path, slowly keeping pace with them. Snapping out of it, she turned and picked up her pace so she was closer to the group. “Cloudhammer, Ah think we have a new friend following us.”

“Where is it?” Cloudhammer asked quietly, not turning his head or changing his tone of voice, though his wing nudged Zecora.

The two slowed down slightly so they were closer to the others, who started to glance to their sides, only to stop as Zecora spoke sharply, “It is not a predator, of that I am quite sure. Though I worry its intentions may still be impure.”

Cloudhammer’s ears twitched in his aggravation with the zebra’s rhyming dialogue, but before he could speak further, his head whipped sharply to the right as a dark shape sprung forward, the glint of metal nearly blinding him, but his training kicked in and he flung himself sideways, wings spread wide as he snorted a challenge. A chorus of cries held him up, and turning, he felt a surge of anger as he saw eight black and white forms, wearing long cloaks woven from grass, which must have let them come so close without being seen. He also noted the strange item they wore on their front right leg, consisting of a set of straps holding a short blade snug against their forelegs. He gritted his teeth and tried to think of a way out, but Zecora pressed a hoof against his wing, and he looked at her as she shook her head.

“Be at ease Captain, they mean us no harm. For the moment there is no cause for alarm.” The zebra indicated with a hoof as a ninth shape, the one who had struck at Cloudhammer, threw the cloak covering it to one of the other zebras. Uncovered, the shape was clearly a female zebra, though much more muscled than Zecora, with a number of faded scars on her sides. She slowly made her way to the group, giving the six mares and Spike a disdainful glance before turning her head to look at Cloudhammer. Her gaze lingered for a moment on the symbol of Celestia on his chestplate, before moving up to look him in the eyes. He returned her stare evenly, his cold blue eyes mirroring her dark brown ones in every way except for color. After a few moments passed, she spoke, a rapid-fire string of guttural syllables and clicks.

Zecora started, then looked at the other zebra curiously. The female repeated the same string of sounds, her eyes never moving from Cloudhammer’s. “She asks for your name, and your rank in the land whence you came.”

“Cloudhammer, Captain of the Equestrian Royal Guard.” He replied coldly, his eyes maintaining the intense staring contest. Nopony else in the group moved, not sure of what to do with so many blades facing them.

Zecora replied in the same language, her voice slower and more halting than the other zebra’s. Once she finished, the female, who Cloudhammer was sure was the leader of this group, tilted her head and spoke in rough, but passable Equestrian, “Cloudhammer, of Royal Guard, what brings your to our lands, and in presence of this fedja?” The disgust in her tone was tangible as she glared menacingly at Zecora, who cringed back until Cloudhammer moved so he stood between the two zebras.

“Zecora, translate for me if you’d please. We come from Equestria to ask your help. A great disaster has befallen our land, strange fields appearing and stripping magic from the land itself, as well as any ponies caught in them. These fields continue to appear further and further outward, and so far it is unknown how far they may reach. It is believed that your people’s knowledge of ritual lines may help put a stop to them, and so here we are. The zebra Zecora has come with us to act as a translator and guide. She is under my protection as a citizen of Equestria.”

Once Zecora finished translating, the other zebra snorted and spoke again in her native tongue. Zecora swallowed nervously as she finished. “She says that… that one such as I deserves no such protections, and must now follow her directions.”

Cloudhammer shook his head firmly. “She will remain under my protection and anypony who tries to lay a hoof on her, or anypony else in my group, will answer to me.”

The zebra’s eyes narrowed as Zecora finished her translation. The staring contest went on as the other eight zebras shifted uncertainly. Cloudhammer stayed rigidly unmoving, his eyes never leaving the other zebra’s. Just as everypony was certain that things were about to get violent, the zebra threw her head back and barked out a short, braying laugh. The other zebras looked uncertainly back and forth at each other before starting to chuckle a little themselves. The female stopped laughing abruptly and looked Cloudhammer in the eye. “This one I like. He is shuganaji.” Gesturing to the other zebras, she spat a harsh string of words and they fanned out, taking up a formation around the group. “You will follow to m’kazai. There we rest before moving to Teneca, where you meet kita’mola Teneca.” She started to turn, then paused, looking back at Cloudhammer. “You can call me Okoro.” Without another word she began to lead the group further into the grass.

Cloudhammer snorted irritably, but having no other choice followed Okoro, making sure to keep close to Zecora. The zebra was so on edge he would have mistaken her for Fluttershy, and the ugly glares the other zebras kept giving her weren’t helping. It was as he glared down one of them that he noticed something else that only made things more confusing. The zebra had a nearly identical mark on his flank to Zecora’s. Shooting a quick look at the others, he saw the same pattern reflected seven times. Looking forward, even Okoro had a spiraling mark. Narrowing his eyes, he growled softly to Zecora, “We’ll need to have a talk sometime soon about a number of things, like how all of these zebras have the same mark as you, and why they keep looking at you like you’re a timber wolf in a nursery.”

Zecora hung her head a moment before replying, her voice ragged. “I apologize, many secrets I have kept from you all. Reliving those painful memories was something I thought to forever stall. However, once we reach the m’kazai I will tell you everything. No matter the question, you may ask me anything.” She kept her head lowered as they continued to walk. Stray tears could be seen snaking down her face as they continued onward

Fluttershy quickened her pace and put a wing comfortingly over the zebra, while everypony else turned reproachful stares at Cloudhammer. He looked back at them all without a trace of emotion, before he finally gave up and turned his flinty stare forward.

Spike, finally giving up on being able to continue walking, climbed onto Twilight’s back. Looking around at everypony else’s expressions, he sighed sadly, “Well, not like things can get any worse.”

Rainbow Dash was dying, she knew it. All this walking, no proper pegasus would endure this kind of torture… well, except maybe Fluttershy, but Dash couldn’t fault her for that. But Cloudhammer, he certainly wasn’t a proper pegasus, and just when she thought he’d actually kept his promise and loosened up, he had to go and start treating Zecora like garbage. Sure, Rainbow was annoyed that Zecora hadn’t told them everything, but she wouldn’t have been so rude about it. And her legs continued to burn, reminding her that she’d been walking for hours. Finally, Rainbow couldn’t take it anymore; she snapped open her wings and took to the air before anypony even knew what she was doing. A mix of startled cries, barked commands and Cloudhammer’s distinctive bellow all rang out, but Rainbow ignored them all, lost in the simple joy of flying again. Leveling out at around a hundred feet, she could see for miles in the clear air. Just then, the sun glinted off something to her left and she looked down to see a large body of water. Her dry throat took the opportunity to remind her it was dreadfully thirsty, and she swooped down eagerly, landing a short distance away. She started to trot towards the edge, when the hairs on the back of her neck stood up. Her wings fluttered nervously as she looked around, the feeling of being watched enveloping her mind. But looking all around, she couldn’t see anything, the grass too far back to allow something to get the drop on her. She was the fastest flyer in Equestria after all, so dismissing the feeling, she started to lower her head to the water.

Just before she was able to take a drink, she felt something grip her hindquarters and yank her backwards, just as the water in front of her erupted in a spray of muddy brown. She had the barest glimpse of dark skin and white teeth framing a pink maw that snapped shut directly in her face, missing her nose by a hair. Powering her wings as fast as she could, she shot up into the air, soaked with water and she was sure other fluids as she looked down. The water churned with foam, but of whatever had attacked her, there was no sign.

“Rainbow! Are you alright?” Twitching slightly at the shout, Rainbow looked down to see Twilight standing there, her horn dimming as the magic left it. The others were standing there as well, concern written over her friend’s faces, while Cloudhammer’s eyes might as well have been stone. She frowned as she saw the zebras all had grim smiles on their faces, and that Okoro was even laughing! Suddenly feeling exhausted Rainbow floated down and landed heavily next to Rarity, who steadied her as she almost collapsed.

“Rainbow my dear, you gave us such a fright, taking off like that!” Rarity gasped suddenly, her horn lighting and a blue field reaching out.

Rainbow jerked back. “What is it? It bit my nose off didn’t it? My awesome face is ruined forever!” Pawing frantically at her face, she found her nose still in the right place, and looked up to see that Rarity’s magic had enveloped herself instead, picking out all the mud that Rainbow had gotten onto her coat and mane.

Looking up to see everypony’s deadpan expression, Rarity tilted her head quizzically, “What? You didn’t expect me to let her get my coat all dirty?”

“W-What was t-that thing?” Fluttershy stammered as she tried to keep Applejack between her and the water.

“Ah don’t rightly know Sugarcube, but whatever it ‘twas Ah ain’t seen nothing move like it did.” Applejack kept a wary glance on the water, only to whip her head around as Okoro moved passed them.

“Scared ponies not have river devils in your homeland?” she asked with a wide grin on her face as she selected a long stick. Picking it up, she threw it towards a log floating on the water, only for the log to blur into a frenzy of motion, ripping the stick into pieces with a savage twist of its head. Everypony gasped and took a step back as the creature settled back into floating serenely, its cold eyes looking directly at them.

Pinkie Pie leaned closer. “He almost looks like Gummy! Only bigger, and with pointy teeth…” the pink pony’s voice trailed off as she tapped a hoof against her chin thoughtfully. “I wonder if Gummy will ever get that big?”

“It is indeed a predator most subtle and scary. It lurks the river’s edge for those who are unwary.” Zecora added as she joined the ponies.

Okoro shot her an angry stare, but after a glance to Cloudhammer snorted irritably and rejoined the other zebras. “No distractions! We go now to the m’kazai to spend the night!” The zebras turned and indicated the ponies follow.

“You know, it’s weird, I’m used to that tone of voice, just not from a zebra.” Rainbow muttered, some of her bravado returning. As she began walking, she felt a hoof whack her lightly on the back of the head. Shooting a glare over her shoulder, she saw Cloudhammer give her a pointed look and shake his head before following the zebras. Rainbow rubbed her head as she and her friends followed the zebras further into the savannah.

Night had fallen as the group continued to trudge through the gently waving grass. Twilight couldn’t remember a time when she’d had such sore hooves. Judging by the sounds of her friends, they weren’t in much better shape. Even Applejack was showing the strain, though the farm pony fought hard to keep herself going. Twilight yawned, her exhaustion from having taken the third watch the night before making itself heard. Looking up, she felt a surge of irritation as Cloudhammer continued to plod along as if he were out for a relaxing stroll. It just wasn’t fair. Zecora she could understand, this was her native land after all, but Cloudhammer could at least do them the courtesy of at least looking tired.

Her head suddenly lifted as she realized they were approaching a sloped earthen wall, a dull glow from behind indicated fires burning. Her stride picked up as she contemplated getting the chance to work some of the night chill from her body, and more importantly, the opportunity to sit down. As they approached what had to be the gate, two zebras, even bigger than the males that had been escorting them thus far, stepped forward and grunted to Okoro, who replied in a rapid stream of the native language. The guards nodded and took a step back, their cold eyes staring out into the savannah as the ponies entered the encampment.

Twilight stopped dead in her tracks as the settlement opened up before her. This was the last thing she had expected to see.