• Published 11th Apr 2020
  • 3,781 Views, 676 Comments

A Band of Misfit Losers Hunt the Undead - Rune Soldier Dan



Ongoing adventures of college kids and public educators fighting horrors beyond human ken.

  • ...
6
 676
 3,781

PreviousChapters Next
The Sol Family Road Trip (slice-of-life, you know, for monster hunters)

To be honest, Sunset didn’t know where her relationship with Applejack was going. It kept her awake some nights, thinking of how perfect Adagio and Applejack were for each other. The siren was passionate, romantic, and seductive, and the two of them had uuuuuuuh ‘complimentary sexual preferences.’ Sunset approached love as more of a ‘best friend you sometimes kiss and etcetera’ deal, favoring casual nights in and easy cuddling.

Like now – this was heaven, and it wasn’t even exclusive. The gang had cranked the air conditioning up so they could lounge in comfortable pajamas and sip hot chocolate, all while watching horror movies as an excuse to cuddle ever-closer. It was weirdly adorable to see big, strong Applejack glued to her seat in fear, clutching Wallflower like an oversized teddy-bear. Adagio feigned aloofness yet buried her face whenever things turned gruesome.

Wallflower was totally unaffected by the movie, but seemed happy to be involved.

Maybe a little too happy. “You can look, Adagio. The gory part’s over.”

It was not. Adagio swore deathly revenge while Wallflower snickered.

Sunset laughed, but it turned to a low groan when her phone began to buzz. She flipped it out, arching an eyebrow upon seeing Aunt Luna’s number displayed. Usually someone who texted instead.

Sunset reluctantly extricated herself from the cuddle-pile, stepped to the back of the living room, and answered. “Hi Lu–”

“Yeah I’m doing awesome kiddo, how are you!?” Luna yelled from her end over the sound of hammering on wood. “Gosh, you know what would be great? A family road trip to the sacred hot springs of Mount Canterhorn. Couple days’ drive, but that’s why we’ll go together! Make it fun. We leave tomorrow. You can leave tomorrow, right?”

Sunset answered mechanically as her brain fumbled a thousand questions. “I have classes. What’s going on?”

“Classes-schmasses, you can’t tell me you’ve never cut before! I’ll write a note saying you’re sick. Please, I tried this last time on my own and it killed me, I can’t do it agOW!”

A clattering noise came, as if the phone had dropped. Sunset was still trying to catch up when Celestia’s voice emerged. “Sunset, my love, my darling, how are you?”

Sunset breathed out with relief. “Hi, Mom. What’s up with Luna? She’s acting really weird.”

“Oh, she’s just jealous of the family bondage event I have planned for us!”

Adagio – with a siren’s supernatural hearing – snapped her head to watch Sunset from the couch.

Sunset groaned and faced away. “Don’t you mean family ‘bonding?’”

Celestia gave a loud, haughty laugh that sent chills down Sunset’s back. “Oh no, my darling! You shall be tied and disciplined like the naughty, sexy girl you are, and then I shall kiss your bruises and make themOW!”

“Back! Back!” Luna called from behind, and the phone tumbled again. Sunset waited in silence, the gears still spinning in her head. She turned idly, found Adagio now standing in arm’s reach and staring to Sunset with an eager grin.

Sunset waved her back and retired to her room, shutting the door as Luna reclaimed the phone. “Okay, look. Don’t be scared, but there was Moon Nazi technology, a magic mirror, and long story short the evil part of your mother’s heart is in control. This happened before and I took care of it by dunking her in the sacred hot springs a god-damn two-day drive eastwards. Back then she trashed every hotel room and ate so much candy your mom’s diabetes got her hospitalized on the way home. If I don’t get backup, my next plan is to travel with Celestia tied up in the trunk.”

“That’s not my name!” Celestia roared in the background. “I am Daybreaker, Queen of the New Sequence!”

Luna yelled back. “No you’re not! It’s just a phase.”

“It’s not a phase, you miserable minion! Now put my daughter-bride on the phone!”

“Please help,” Luna groaned. “The roads that way are shit so I’m waiting til morning, and could really use some help packing and prepping so I can babysit Tia.”

“I don’t need a babysitter!”

“Want me over there tonight?” Sunset asked.

“Yes. Grab some food, because I am not taking her to a restaurant again.”

“Got it. Later.” Sunset pocketed her phone and sped out the door, slamming into Adagio on the other side who quickly wrapped her into a hug.

“Sunset! My good friend, my best friend, who showed me the light of friendship! I accidentally heard the whole thing, and as your very good friend I volunteer my assistance in keeping Celestia…”

Adagio released a creepy, chuckling breath. “…Occupied.”

“That’s my mother,” Sunset grumbled. She tried to slide out of the embrace, but Adagio held firm. “Also, you have a girlfriend.”

“Well it’s not like she’s exclusive, Miss Cuddle Pony.” The siren took a step back, still gripping Sunset’s arms as she manically met her eyes. “She’ll understand. This is a dream. A fantasy made real!”

“My mother,” Sunset said again.

“Your mother. Is. Hot.” Adagio breathed. “And now she’s kinky. Just let me go with you, okay? You don’t know how long I’ve waited for this. Even back at the Band Battle when I had her hypnotized, I was ‘Damn, she’s fine, gonna make some major kissy-face after the concert,’ and not doing that when I had the chance is my biggest regret.”

Sunset arched an eyebrow. Adagio paused, then added, “Aside from trying to kill you and rejecting your offers of friendship and gold-digging AJ and losing my sisters and betraying you during the Tirek thing. Come on, please? This will count for both my birthday and Christmas!”

“I’m not helping you bed my mother while her morals are compromised,” Sunset pushed Adagio’s arms away. “Grow up. You’ll get Applejack for four days without competition.”

“But I like the competition,” Adagio purred. “You get her when she feels like cuddling a pony, I get her when she actually wants to have fun. Asymmetric balance, and may the best siren win. But this? This is an opportunity and if you are my friend you will give me a fair shot.”

Sunset gently bopped her on top of the head. “Bad siren, no gas-lighting. You’re not porking my mom, end of discussion.”

“Okay, fine,” Adagio said with seeming reluctance, then added eagerly, “Where are you guys going to spend the nights?”

“I’m leaving,” Sunset said. She turned back to her room and began gathering the essentials. Purse, jacket, concealed carry. She opened a backpack and jammed in a few toiletries and changes of clothes. Shopping could be done on the way.


Warned though Sunset was, it was a shock to see Celestia in her current state. Some diabolic influence was evident – her eyes were red instead of their typical soft pink, and her hair had turned a fiery mix of gold and orange. She leaped as Sunset came inside, hands groping for her chest, only to be yanked back at the collar by a lean, blue girl in a leather jacket.

“Hi, Ember,” Sunset said as Celestia cursed and wrestled. “You guys coming with?”

Ember nodded. “Yep. Dad’s got his tent and stuff, just in case.”

Celestia snapped at Ember’s arm. Sunset stepped around and helped pin her to the floor until the tantrum passed. “Hey, thanks for this. Luna was freaking out over the phone, and we all appreciate you helping out.”

“Whatever,” Ember said, which was Ember for ‘You’re welcome.’ “I hope you’re packing food; all Dad brought is ten pounds of beef jerky and we’re flat broke.”

“Oooh, somebody’s groping my butt,” Celestia cooed.

“That’s my knee,” Sunset said, then raised her voice. “Hi Luna, hi Torch! I brought apples.”

“Awesome. Here kids, I got her.” Torch’s hulking figure plodded to the kitchen. He scooped Celestia up like a surly cat, unable to suppress a smirk of his own. “Feeling naughty, babe?”

“Yeah, but it’s not evil if I do it with you.” Celestia squirmed, nearly toppling to the floor before he adjusted his grip. “If you must tie me up, tie me up with my daughter so we can–”

“No one’s tying you up,” Torch sighed, carrying her into the next room. “It’s late, come on.”

“Thanks, Torch,” Luna said wearily, entering the kitchen as he left. Heavy bags hung under her eyes, complimented by the odd bruise. “This will be fantastically more bearable with a crew, thank you all so much.”

Ember shrugged. “This’ll be cake. When you said she turned evil, I was thinking… you know. Black magic at worst, knife-fights at best. Instead she’s like one part pre-teen edge-lord and one part slut, and there’s nothing wrong with being a slut so that don’t even count.”

Luna drowsily scratched the back of her head. “Yeah, I got it explained to me last time. You’re kind of new to the club, but Sunset knows what I mean when I say Celestia is obnoxiously, irritatingly, sickeningly good. Sometimes it pisses me off how good she is, which makes me pissed at myself because I know she doesn’t deserve it. So for someone like that to have the evil in her heart run wild, it just doesn’t have all that much to work with.”

“So you gathered a full platoon to help babysit an adult brat for a few days.” Ember shrugged again. “Look, I’m in because I like you guys, but you’re overreacting. How hard can it be to keep one woman under control?”

Luna’s deadened eyes looked to her, at first without expression. Then her mouth broke into a rictus grin, and she laughed. She kept laughing as she turned and walked away, and they could hear it go on as she ascended the stairs to her room.


Celestia’s station wagon was the only vehicle between them big enough to carry all five. Luna drove, with Torch occupying the passenger seat to accommodate his massive size. Sunset, Ember, and Celestia sat on the bench-like back seat, with the latter demanding a spot at the window. The other two indifferently complied, and Celestia hopped out at the first red light and made it all the way to a bar before her chaperones caught up.

“I have to go to the bathroom,” Celestia announced after they dragged her back. They had not even gotten out of Canterlot.

“You went before we left,” Luna growled. “Think of something else.”

“All I can think about is the Mississippi River, Victoria Falls, large-sized lemonades, monsoon rains, free Diet Coke refills, that awkward few minutes during the previews in a movie when you know have time if you hustle, endless September drizzles, the waves on a beach, the…”

“Crud, now I have to go,” Sunset mumbled.


They caught Celestia trying to slip out the fast food joint they stopped at, but not before she bought a massive non-diet soda. Luna waited until they were out of the restaurant to slap it out of her hands.

And they had barely left Canterlot when Celestia began to sing.

“NINETY NINE BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL, NINETY NINE BOTTLES OF BEER, TAKE ONE DOWN, PASS IT AROUND, NINETY EIGHT BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL. NINETY EIGHT BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL, NINETY EIGHT BOTTLES OF BEER, TAKE ONE DOWN…”

Luna turned up the radio. A habitual jogger, Celestia’s lungs were more than a match.

Sunset’s left ear rang, right next to the screaming song. “I don’t know if I can keep this up for ten hours.”

“Chillax.” Ember slouched lazily in her seat. “The song only lasts for like ten minutes.”


“…TWO BOTTLES OF BEER, TAKE ONE DOWN, PASS IT AROUND, ONE BOTTLE OF BEER ON THE WALL. ONE BOTTLE OF BEER ON THE WALL, ONE BOTTLE OF BEER, TAKE ONE DOWN, PASS IT AROUND, NO BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL.”

Celestia lapsed into silence. Ember smiled, playing on some handheld game. Sunset gave a relieved sigh.

Celestia inhaled.

“NINETY NINE BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL, NINETY NINE BOTTLES OF BEER, TAKE ONE DOWN…”


“I WANT MY BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK… RIBS. I WANT MY BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK… RIBS. I WANT MY BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK BABYBACK…”

Ember screamed; a wild, maddened noise, ending in a sharp inhale and deathly calm. “I’m killing your mother.”

She unbuckled and grabbed Celestia by the throat, earning a sharp knee for her troubles. Sunset leaned in to separate then while Torch reached back as best as he could. The brawl slammed into the front seats, buffeting Luna and steering them off the road.


Smoke came from where the car rested in a ditch. Torch assured them that such was a normal, good kind of smoke, and probably nothing to worry about.

Sunset silently watched him change their tire for a moment before she spoke. “Thanks for the help, Ember.”

“Screw you,” Ember growled. “How could you be so calm with all that noise?”

“I’m friends with Pinkie Pie.”

“No way she’s this bad.”

Sunset let out a repressed groan. “No, but she also never caused a crash. This is going to take even longer now.”

“Play nice, kids,” Torch mumbled distractedly.

As luck would have it, the crash occurred two hours east of Canterlot, right in the middle of the awkward rural parts of the state. Summer-swept plains stretched to all sides of the dirt road, without so much as a pay phone in sight. Good thing Torch knew his way around cars.

“I’m going to ask over there for help,” Celestia said. She pointed to a decrepit old house, covered in vines and with unseasonal, massive pumpkins growing in front and green glowing lights from the upper window.

Luna gave it a glance, then grunted and returned her attention to the car. “Tia, that is clearly a–”

“She’s already running,” Sunset said, and took off after her. Celestia bound between chest-tall pumpkins, heedless as their vines wiggled in her passing. She opened the door and was inside several seconds before Sunset.

Sunset arrived inside to find the walls completely covered in pumpkin vines. So was Celestia – bound like a spider’s fly and hanging from the ceiling. A creature with a jester’s outfit and jack-o-lantern head released a low, hollow laugh as it turned from her to Sunset.

“What is this, for Pumpkin Head? So strange that they come, for you know what the children sing. ‘Keep away from Pumpkin Head unless you’re tired of living; his enemies are mostly dead, he’s mean and unforgi–”

Sunset’s first bullet burst open its head, showering Celestia in pulped pumpkin. Sunset irately approached and tore open its jester outfit to find the body was made of sawdust, and had a black, pulsing heart within. Three bullets into this stopped its beating, and at once the pumpkins and vines began to wither.

Fortunately, they did not wither very fast. Sunset hoisted the still-bound Celestia on her shoulder and began walking to the car, not looking back as the house collapsed behind her.


“Are we there, yet?”

“No.”

“Are we there, yet?... Hey, hey, Luna! Luna. Luna.”

“What?”

“Are we there yet?... Hey, Luna? Luna. Luna. Luna. Luna. Luna. Luna. Luna. Sister. Sister. Little sister. Little sister with the inferiority complex, that’s you Luna. Can you hear me, Luna? Luna. Luna.”

Ember began screaming. Again. Sunset leaned forward, pouring every ounce of her old manipulative skills into a pitiable beg. “Aunt Luna, please can we call it early? Let’s just get to the nearest hotel. We can make up for lost time tomorrow.”

“No,” Luna said, her jaw set and eyes on the road. “That way lies madness.”


The last leg of the day was… quieter. When it hit Sunset to be suspicious instead of relieved, she looked over to find Celestia playing with Ember’s handheld game. Ember saw Sunset looking and gave a thumbs-up. Sunset grinned. Reconciliation came silent and welcome.

Still, while the awkward first day of Sunset’s redemption could never be topped, this had definitely been the second longest day of her life. The lumpy beds of their cheap motel were a godsend. All four collapsed to them with moans of exhaustion and relief.

Briefly unsupervised, Celestia knocked over the ceramic bedside lamp, plunging them all into darkness.


They assigned shifts. Even Torch couldn’t keep it up much longer. Dinner was an uncomfortably greasy pizza and the bag of fruit Applejack helpfully gave for the road. ‘Make sure you eat right, Sugar Cube. Too much fast food will knock you down sure as any monster.’

Sweet Celestia, that girl was the best. Strong, kind, thoughtful, friendly, strong…

Sunset floated belly-up in the motel’s pool. The water was a bit too chilly for comfort, but right now she didn’t care. Hours in the car and impromptu brawls left her feeling twisted and cramped. Echoes of obnoxious songs still rang in her ears. Silence and cold were a balm.

Luna said last time she made the trip alone. Sunset couldn’t even imagine. At least with four people they could take breaks, rotate Daybreaker-duty and get away for a bit.

Honestly… it felt good to be sharing the burden with her. After Luna and Celestia had given Sunset so much, she was finally doing something in return. Like family should. Not just a kid they feel sorry for or a sharp pupil, but a reliable, adult part of the herd.

“Room for two?”

The pool was empty aside from Sunset. She rotated weightlessly to an upright position, giving Torch a tired smile. “Yeah, of course.”

Water rolled gently as the huge man lowered himself in the shallow end. He sank into a seated sprawl, letting out a long, relieved sigh.

“How you holding up?” Sunset asked. She’d spent enough time with Fluttershy to know a lack of complaint didn’t mean a lack of opinion.

“I’m dead,” Torch confessed. He sank lower, submerging himself from the chin on down.

Sunset followed suit, letting the water climb up past her shoulders. “It was cool of you to come.”

“She’s my girl,” Torch said laconically. As if that explained everything.

Applejack flashed in Sunset’s mind, and she realized that it, in fact, did.

“You know what they say,” Torch added. “In sickness and in health, and all that.”

Sunset smirked a little. “They say that when you get married.”

“Yep,” Torch said tightly, but quickly pressed on. “Honestly, this ain’t so bad. You all are pulling your hair out trying to look after a ball of spite and bad judgement, but I raised a girl through puberty. This ain’t my first rodeo.”

“I guess.” Sunset paddled closer. The talk and cool water were doing wonders, and she had to resist the impulse to playfully splash him. “Real-talk for a second?”

“Sure.”

“You thinking of marrying my mom?”

Water drifted out as Torch shrugged. “Thinking, yeah. Nothing wrong with taking it slow.”

He coughed abruptly. “Hey, so you know, no matter how this goes you never have to call me ‘dad’ or nothing. I ain’t looking to take anyone’s place.”

Sunset shrugged and laughed. “I never had a dad, so go nuts.”

Torch looked at her, and Sunset wiggled her brows. “Not gonna lie, I think fishing’s boring and gross. But we could do other dad things. Play catch. Build pinewood derby cars.”

“Hm, you’re a little old for all that.” Torch rumbled, smiling back to her. “I could show you how to change your own oil.”

“Hell, yeah. Stuff like that.”

Torch gave a favorable grunt, though his smile strained. “But all joking aside, you’d be okay with it?”

“Of course,” Sunset said. She came up alongside him, resting an arm on the pool ledge. “I mean… she’s had it rough, you know? And through it all, all she’s done is stick her neck out for other people. Her sister. Her students. Some orphan delinquent. Even this whole jam is because she tries to protect literally everyone from Moon Nazis and so on. So for there to be something that actively brings her joy is the best thing ever. That’s you, dude.”

“Thanks, dude,” Torch said. He yawned. Back at the motel, a window broke, and they spent a few minutes longer pretending it wasn’t theirs.


Sheets awkwardly draped over the hole. Damage had already well-exceeded the cost of the room, and then it came Sunset’s turn for Daybreaker duty. She managed to snatch the lighter before the carpet was too badly singed, and the cat before it was sacrificed to the Great and Angry Sun. Lasted a decent seven minutes into Celestia screaming “THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE…” before tackling her to the ground with a wild scream of her own.

They had to sleep in shifts. Celestia was devious when removed of her inhibitions. She snuck out twice that night – once by feigning recovery while Torch watched her, the next by clever use of pillows and sheets to pretend her bed was occupied. They caught her the first time at a convenience store having only drunk half a bottle of Mountain Sugar. The next time she hit a bar and was through her fifth tequila by the time they caught up.

The good news was that Celestia had no stomach for alcohol. They began driving the next morning grumpy and bleary-eyed, but Celestia spent the first leg sleeping, and the next quietly groaning with her head on Sunset’s lap.

It proved a much easier day, even allowing that Celestia barfed in that position twice. With her spare pants ruined, Sunset awkwardly belted on Luna’s at their last stop before Mount Canterhorn. The road up it was a paved and regulated highway, small mercies, though Luna complained thoroughly at what came next – a sprawling, elite resort, encompassing the whole of the sacred springs. RichCorp owned the entire mountain.

The whole structure was huge and looming, rife with ever sellable commodity Sunset could imagine. Even the springs themselves had floating slot machines and drink bars. Sunset wondered if they were still sacred. Luna assured her such was beyond Man’s ability to destroy, thank goodness.

Only two beds per room, but they stuck with one. Gruffly, silently, Luna paid the bill with her credit card. She balled up the receipt and shoved it in the trash, but Sunset fished it out to check. Definitely no Hawaii for the sisters next year.

Sunset grunted, silently debating the merits of visiting Princess Twilight and just stealing something. Or asking for money. Mom wouldn’t approve either way if she found out. If.

Luna had experience with this next part. A disaster in the end-zone could ruin everything, but Daybreaker seemed to acknowledge her time was short and there was no better place to spend it than here. They made a deal – a professional massage, a steak dinner with dessert, and a stiff drink of choice. All vices Celestia avoided as a habit.

And a pool-boy, but Luna haggled that one down to three stiff drinks instead.

Sunset munched on jerky and apples while Luna took her sister out. No point in driving the bills up further. She did so just outside the resort restaurant’s emergency escape, awaiting the inevitable betrayal which strangely did not come. The impulsive gremlin that called itself Daybreaker strode out like a queen with Luna in tow, right towards the changing station.

Clad in a towel, she stepped with Luna to the edge of the springs. Perhaps Daybreaker had tired of its fun. Perhaps, even corrupted, Celestia would not break word with her sister.

Sunset watched them from behind, almost tearing up at this vague redemption. Ember stood next to her, wearing the towel and casually donning brass knuckles.

Then Daybreaker pushed Luna into the spring, with a laugh matched by Luna as the little sister spun and snagged her towel on the way down, dragging the elder in with her.

Author's Note:

Evil and/or Daybreaker Celestia requested by megarockman and Smallest Writer. While there are a lot of good options for an EQG Daybreaker, somehow the idea of her as a horrible vice-obsessed gremlin woman tickled me the most.

Getting a bit harder to write quickly... work is normalizing, which means a lot less work at home, which means less energy to write. But pone will endure. :)

Submission thread here!

PreviousChapters Next