• Published 25th Oct 2020
  • 2,285 Views, 511 Comments

Acts of Love - Krickis



Morning Glisten isn't really a good filly. She fights with other foals, and she doesn't really trust adults. So when three Princesses take an interest in adopting her, she'll need to become someone else to win their love.

  • ...
7
 511
 2,285

Prologue

It was raining. Of course it was raining. Because things weren’t bad enough already, the weather team in this damn town had to schedule rain today of all days.

The crying infant in the mare’s foreleg didn’t help either. She knew that her daughter was crying because of the rain, but she couldn’t help but imagine it was because of where the two of them were going. Because of what she was about to do…

Despite the rain, the mare stopped to look at the building’s sign. It read ‘Small Steps Home for Orphaned Ponies’, a fittingly quaint name for the rural orphanage, she decided. The mare resumed walking towards the building.

She opened the door with her magic, since she was using one foreleg to cradle her daughter and needed the other one to stand. She was aware she was dripping rain water all over their floor, particularly because her heavy travelling cloak was soaked, but she paid it no mind. She needed the cloak to hide her as she did what she had to do, even more so than she’d needed it to keep the rain off her.

She left the door open and walked up to a desk and caught the attention of the stallion sitting at it. He took one look at her and stood up. “Wait right there, I’ll go get you a towel.”

“Don’t,” the mare said. “I’m not staying.”

“Miss?” The stallion frowned. “What, uh, can I do for you?”

The mare looked down at her daughter. A tiny little pink unicorn, she had rose-colored hair that had a yellow streak through it. She took a steadying breath, then tore her eyes off of her to look at the stallion instead. “I need to surrender my daughter.”

He looked between the mare and the infant. “There are steps to take, paperwork to fill out. Please, let me go get you a towel then we’ll sort this whole thing out.”

“I’m sorry.” The mare kissed her daughter on the forehead. She closed her eyes and for just one moment, she let them be as mother and daughter once more. “I’m so sorry…”

If only she wasn’t crying… The mare didn’t want her last memory of her daughter to be of her crying. She looked up at the stallion and levitated her daughter towards him.

He took the child. “Miss, we really need –”

“Her name is Morning Glisten. Please –” The mare’s voice caught in her throat, but she forced the words out anyway. “Please take care of her.”

“Miss, wait!”

But the mare did not. She turned and ran out the still open door. She heard him get up, but there was a desk between them and he was holding a crying infant. He wouldn’t chase her into the rain, and even if he did, she would get away from him.

It wasn’t the right way to do things, she knew, but it was the best way. Her daughter, her Morning Glisten, she would be so much better off without her. Better to have no mother than a mother like her.

She’d grow up with other children like her in a quaint country orphanage, the same as anypony else, and that was the only gift her mother could give her.