• Published 3rd Apr 2020
  • 2,156 Views, 111 Comments

The Most Chaotic Life Ever!!! - Azure129



Discord, Celestia, and Luna have lived in peace for years. But when Twilight's student-Luster Dawn -'reforms' Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow, the chaos master and pony sisters end up involved just like the old days (as do many others). Chaos, ho!

  • ...
7
 111
 2,156

Finale: Friendship, Love, & Firefly Make it All Complete

~*SIX MONTHS LATER*~

There was a wedding taking place on the shores of Mount Eris, and though only close friends and family were invited to the ceremony, somehow those numbers turned out to quite high indeed for the union of the former Queen of Sequestria, Novo, and the former Queen of the Changeling hive, Chrysalis.

Traveling with foals was always a challenge…which was why Discord and Celestia had chosen to travel to the event with Firefly via chariot, Luna and Twilight joining them. This way, at all times at least one of them could keep an eye on the little pink dragon of ice and fire who was still in their care. Firefly demanded Discord’s attention over anyone else’s though, always smiling at him and cooing to him and looking for him the moment he turned his attention anywhere else. Yet sometimes she would also turn to Celestia and just stare at her with wide eyes until Celestia blushed and looked away and felt very confused. Sometimes she tried to make a little sound but it never quite came out. Was the little one confused by her or intimidated by her or, worse, afraid of her for some reason? She couldn’t understand, especially since Firefly seemed fine when playing with Celestia along with one of the others. Something about being alone together affected the little dragon, and especially on this trip Celestia noticed she seemed to be struggling with something around her.

But…the mystery and all of the staring and cuddling and playing would soon be over. After all, the plan was to hand off Firefly to Ember at the reception today and let the Dragon Lord become officially in charge of raising the baby.

Celestia frowned more at the thought…and she noticed Discord had been frowning a lot the whole trip too. She wanted to say something but—

“Huzzah! We’re here!” Luna announced, pointing at the island.

“Oh wonderful!” Twilight looked around. “I wonder if Sombra and Stigeon are here yet? I’ve kind of missed him ever since he moved out of the castle…”

“Indeed, his flair for the dramatic made for some amusing times. But traveling the world with a beau exploring exotic historical locations is just the kind of pomp he needs in his life to be happy.” Luna laughed. The chariot landed, and Luna looked to Celestia and Discord. “Do you want assistance with our little bundle of ice and flame?”

“Oh, no, I’ve got her!” Discord grinned and scooped up a swaddled Firefly. “She might be nervous in a new place with so many new people.” He grinned down at her. “But you’re never nervous as long as Discord’s with you, right?” He bounced her and she laughed then sneezed and shot out a burst of flame that singed his eyebrows. He laughed too.

“I’ll help him if he needs it,” Celestia quickly offered, stepping closer. “You two go on, have fun, mingle!”

Luna and Twilight nodded and left.

Celestia turned to Discord and opened her mouth. But he had a faraway look in his eye and spoke first. “We should…probably take our seats for the ceremony. We don’t want Firefly fussing during the vows. And…the more settled she is the easier time Ember will have taking her…and…” He looked away and sniffed quickly. He held out the baby to Celestia. “Can you hold her? I need to, uh, freshen up.” As soon as the bundle was in Celestia’s foreleg, he snapped himself away.

Celestia sighed and sat in the sandy beach. She looked down at the little pink dragon who darted her eyes around at the unfamiliar setting and then looked back at her with that familiar wide-eyed gaze. No child had ever looked at her with that reverence - usually she only saw it from ponies worshipping her. Children had fun with her, but not this one for some reason. She sighed. “What is it, little one? Have I made a bad impression in the last six months? I know Discord’s…more comfortable with you. And that you seem happiest with him. But I hope you’ve come to like me as well.” She held up her other hoof to the baby.

Firefly reached out and carefully touched it, eyes never leaving Celestia.

Then she made a sound — not an attempt like usual, but a full, real, word. “Mmm… Ma!”

Celestia’s jaw fell open and she almost fumbled the baby. Her breaths were shallow. “I…Pardon?”

“Ma! Mama!” Firefly shot forward and wrapped herself tightly around Celestia’s foreleg, enveloped in her mane.

Celestia couldn't breathe.

Discord reappeared, a smile just barely back on his face. Celestia quickly handed off the baby. “I need to go see Twilight about something! Save me a seat!” She kissed his cheek and teleported away as Discord held the baby close and raised an eyebrow at her.

Celestia reappeared in front of Twilight, causing the princess to stumble and back up.

“Sorry!” Celestia almost squeaked. “Luna, I need to borrow, Twilight. Come on, Twilight!” She hooked her foreleg with Twilight’s and teleported them away behind some trees.

Twilight blinked. “Uh, Celestia are you…?”

“Did Spike ever call you mom?!” Celestia blurted out.

Twilight blinked and tilted her head. “I…no… Oh, but he did call my mom that sometimes after he was hatched! But to be fair, she bottle fed him and everything.” She smiled at the memories and then her eyes went wide in realization. “Celestia, did Firefly—“

“I’d rather not say! But…hypothetically…maybe yes.” Celestia paced, her smile nervous, her cheeks blushing. “What if I can’t do this? What if I cannot do THIS?”

“Do you ‘want’ to do ‘this’?” Twilight asked sagely.

Celestia stopped in her tracks. She considered, and then her eyes teared up. “Discord…”

“I’m not asking about Discord. I’m asking what you want to do.”

More tears welled. “I…I don’t want her to go. But I don’t know what’ll happen if she stays.” She laughed. “I can be a mentor and a teacher and an Aunt…Those are all at a slight remove from the most important creatures in a child’s life. Being a mother is so different. It scares me a little, Twilight.”

Twilight put a foreleg over her.

Celestia took a deep breath. “But…I love Firefly more than it scares me.”

Twilight leaned in, smiling. “I bet she loves you too. And Discord and Luna… And I hope me. And you won’t be alone with this. Even if Firefly only ever sees you as her mom, Luna and I will be there to help with all the mom stuff. Maybe we don’t know what we’re in for, but we’ll figure it out together. We’re family.”

Celestia wiped away her tears. She wrapped up Twilight tight in a hug. “You know…before Luna returned to me, I really didn’t have a good friend until you showed up at my school and let me be your teacher. And you’ve been the best one I could ask for. Thank you, Twilight.”

She pulled back to see Twilight smiling and blushing and crying a little too. “I feel the same way, Celestia.”

They laughed.

Then Celestia powered her horn. “We should head to the ceremony — I have a lot to discuss with Discord.” Twilight nodded with an eager smile as Celestia teleported them away to the ceremony area.

“Twilight!” Luna called out from the rows of seats — she had a place for her saved beside Sombra and Stigeon. Sombra was wearing a bright blue cape with white and silver feather trim (he’d started designing them and selling them too, and they had become quite the fashion trend). Beside him sat the kind and quiet Stigeon, his hoof always touching Sombra’s.

Twilight gave Celestia a nod and then departed to Luna’s side. The blue and purple alicorns shared a quick kiss, Sombra said something to tease them, and then blushed when Stigeon kissed his cheek, and the alicorns laughed.

Celestia continued along, searching for Discord. Her eyes found Cadance and Shining Armor sitting on either side of Flurry Heart and Cozy Glow, who were right beside each other as always. Cozy Glow was smiling in such a sincere way — she even had a small crown on her head to match Flurry Heart’s. Celestia thought about how well that adoption had gone and felt even more like she was making the right decision about Firefly.

Her eyes next found Luster Dawn and Breezy and their friends from the school in row together, laughing and talking. Behind them in a row were Twilight’s former star students — Yona, Sandbar, Ocellus, Gallus, and Smolder — all invited by Silverstream. All of these young creatures had taken risks and tried new things, and look at how well life had turned out for them.

There was a babyish squeal, but when Celestia turned toward it she saw that it came from a bundle attached to a saddle bag and tucked along Rain Shine’s side. Tirek shook a rattle above the bundle and the little one sat up: their son, born a few weeks ago, Asherik. The creature looked more Kirin than Centaur but had two horns instead of one and also displayed Tirek’s red and black coloring. Asherik cooed happily sight of his mother and father. Celestia smiled more at the beautiful scene.

Finally she found Discord among the seated crowd… Then she came close and realized he was beside Ember and Spike, talking with them — and Spike was holding Firefly while Discord nervously wrung his now empty hands.

“So… Ember,” Discord began with a swallow, “you’re sure Firefly will be okay in a place as hot as the dragon lands even though she makes ice along with fire?”

“We have underground caverns away from the volcanos - she can go there to cool off whenever she needs it,” Ember assured.

“I promise I’ll deliver her there safe with Ember, Discord!” Spike smiled. “We figured with two of us, one will always be able to keep an eye on her.”

“That’s very good,” Discord assured with a chuckle, his eyes on the baby. “This one is quite active and full of surprises.” He sighed and bit his lip. “Celestia and I will probably be by to visit a lot if that’s okay.”

Celestia slid into the seat beside him, her eyes bright. “Actually we should talk about that, Discord.”

He blinked and turned to smile at her appearance. Then he raised an eyebrow. “Talk? Is there something wrong?”

“Not at all.” She shook her head, her eyes hazed. Then she looked to the dragons. “Ember…”

But suddenly music played: the ceremony was starting, and the conversation would have to wait as all eyes turned to the altar.

There were two lagoons on either side. Chrysalis rose up in her seapony form from one lagoon and Novo rose up her seapony form from the other, both ladies holding bouquets while Chrysalis wore a purple veil and Novo wore her old crown. They came out of the water and Chrysalis returned to her changeling form while Novo changed to her hippogriff form. They approached each other.

Skystar flew down to the altar and made a happy speech welcoming her new Mommy Chrysalis and congratulating her wonderful Mom Novo. Then she recited the traditional marriage vows of their kingdom while both brides nodded in agreement. When it was over, Chrysalis and Novo each gave each other a special shell. Then they said some quiet vows to one another and finally kissed as Skystar pronounced them wed. The crowd cheered.

Among all the cheering, as the bouquets were getting ready to be thrown, Celestia turned to Discord and grabbed his face to bring his eyes to meet hers. She felt so happy. “Discord?”

“Yes…?” He almost laughed as he tilted his head at her, perplexed.

She sighed. “I want to keep her too.”

He blinked. “I’m sorry, what—“

Celestia kissed him on the mouth deeply then pulled back. “I want to keep Firefly and raise her together — you and me…and Luna and Twilight too. Is that okay?”

There were tears in his eyes and he smiled so much. And then he dove at her and dipped her back for a wild kiss as the bouquets rocketed into the air.

Sombra did a flying leap to catch one but only succeeded in knocking it into Luna’s lap. She blinked…and then smiled and glanced at Twilight who blushed very much and smiled too. Sombra pouted until the other bouquet hit him in the head and fell in between his hooves. He grinned, triumphant, and Stygian blushed and laughed.

Discord pulled back from Celestia just as the cheering died down. They both turned to Spike and Ember, holding hand and hoof.

“Spike, Ember,” Celestia started, “if it would be all right…”

“We want to keep our Firefly, please! She’s the most delightful bit of chaos I ever came across!” Discord finished.

Spike and Ember blinked then smiled. Spike sighed. “We were kind of hoping you’d want to.”

Ember nodded. “She seems very happy with you, and you’ve done a wonderful job hatching and raising her so far. I think you’ll be good for her.”

Spike held the baby out to them.

Discord and Celestia gazed down at her and then took hold of her in both of their magical auras. They brought her close and nuzzled her on either side of her face. She looked from one to the other and grabbed Celestia’s hair. “Ma!” And then she turned and grabbed Discord’s beard. “Pa!”

Discord looked like he was going to burst. “Did you hear? Did you?!” He was shaking with joy as Celestia laughed and nodded. He moved close to the little dragon. “I’m going to spoil you rotten. It’s going to be amazing.”

“And I’ll help,” Celestia assured, nuzzling Firefly.

As the ceremony broke up into the reception, Celestia and Discord went around with their new little family member, so excited to bring her home again — this time for good. And Luna and Twilight were overjoyed with the news as well.


~*THREE YEARS LATER*~

“Oh, you come here, you little scamp!” Discord grinned and flew up and around, stopping a toddling Firefly in her tracks. She’d started standing on her own a few weeks ago and had quickly progressed to running - as well as blowing a sheet of ice onto the ground so she could slide forward quickly on her belly, and then blowing fire to celebrate her success. They were outside playing in the garden near the lake. Once Discord caught her, he did a flip in the air with her and then landed them on a cotton candy cloud.

Firefly giggled and clapped. “Papa, more! Higher! Choco Milk!”

Discord chuckled. “Oh, Papa would love to do ‘more’ and ‘higher' and ‘chocolate milk.’” He sighed. “But Auntie Fluttershy is coming over to bring you to stay at her cottage for the weekend. You remember, right?”

Firefly blinked and tilted her head. But then she furrowed her brow in thought and nodded. “Yes. Shy Auntie nice.”

Discord smiled in relief, but then Firefly dove at him in a tight hug around his center. “Papa come too? And Aunties Luna and Twi?”

Discord sighed, frowning. “No, just you and Auntie Shy and Argos.” He hugged her back and flew them down to the ground.

Celestia appeared with a saddlebag and a happily panting Argos by her side. “There’s my favorite dragon and my favorite draconequus.” She smiled as Firefly pried herself off of Discord, and the chaos master popped her onto Celestia’s back.

Firefly snuggled against the ethereal mane. “Mama Celie, come to Auntie Shy’s house with me?” She giggled as the mane tickled her and as Argos leaned up and licked her face.

Celestia did her best to keep up a smile as she used her magic to float Firefly to the ground beside Argos. She leaned down. “You remember, Firefly — you’re a big girl now, old enough to sleep without one of us here. Papa and I have to go somewhere. And Auntie Luna is with Auntie Twi on a trip to visit the kirin. So you and Argos get to go to Auntie Shy’s house all by yourself.”

Firefly pouted a little, holding her tail. “I don’t want to be a big girl without Mama Celie and Papa.”

Discord bit his lip but managed to keep his smile casual. “Are you sure? Big girls who stay alone with Auntie Shy get very special presents when we get back…”

Firefly considered.

Celestia smiled more. “And they probably get some extra desserts at Auntie Shy’s cottage - including cake.”

Firefly’s eyes widened and she nodded and hugged Argos. “I can do it!”

“We know you can, my good girl.”Discord wrapped his tail around her to lift her up, and she laughed.

Celestia pointed forward. “And here comes Auntie Shy now!”

Fluttershy came along pulling a wagon, smiling gently. “Hello, everyone!”

Firefly raced up to her and nearly tripped forward, but Fluttershy caught her. She hugged the yellow pony. “I’m gonna stay with you!” She announced proudly.

“I know!” Fluttershy nodded. “I’m very excited. I’m sure you’ll be the nicest houseguest ever.”

“Can Argos and I play with all the bunnies?”

“Oh yes! They’d love that.”

Firefly climbed into the wagon and Argos stood beside it with his tail wagging.

Discord snapped his fingers to put a large bag next to her in the wagon and turned to Fluttershy. “Okay, I packed her blankets and her favorite doll and a lot of chocolate milk and pictures of everyone and some gems too for a snack along the way. Are you sure you don’t want me to just teleport you back to the cottage?” He asked, frowning a little. Fluttershy was still strong, but her mane had so many strands of white these days, and there were gentle wrinkles around her eyes.

Fluttershy shook her head. “It’s okay. I like the walk. And so does Firefly. It’s good for both of us. And don’t worry, I have everything all set up for her. Stay away for as long as you need.”

Discord sighed but nodded. “Thank you for watching her.” He hugged Fluttershy.

When they pulled back, Celestia came over. “It’s hard, but we know it’s better for her to learn to be without one of us at all times. Thank you again for your help, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy nodded. “Any time. I’ve always loved baby dragons.”

Celestia and Discord smiled and then went around to Firefly in the wagon and gave her a hug and a kiss. “We’ll miss you,” Discord assured. Celestia nodded.

“Me too!” Firefly looked between them, hesitant for a moment, but then smiled again when Argos gave her another kiss. “Have fun!”

They laughed and nodded and waved goodbye as Fluttershy pulled the wagon away with Argos trotting after them.

Discord sighed. “That was hard. But we’re doing the right thing. She’s a strong girl.”

Celestia nodded, leaning against him. “We aren’t going far anyway, since this is just a trial run to get her used to some more independence. We’ll only be at our cabin by the lake.”

“True.” He nuzzled her a little, a small smile returning as his eyes hazed. “And it has been far too long since we had an interrupted weekend of raucous passion."

Celestia blushed and laughed. “I think the chance for some alone time is part of why Twilight and Luna went away together on that diplomatic trip. We should follow their example.” Her eyes hazed as well, and she walked past him, glancing over her shoulder. Smirking, Discord followed after her. Both of them were giggling and whispering sultry things to each other as they made their way to their cabin for some well-deserved time alone.


~*FIVE YEARS LATER*~

Celestia, Luna, Discord, and Twilight all stood in the throne room of the Everfree Forest castle, beaming with excitement. Discord pulled out a trumpet to sound some fanfare then cleared his throat. “Attention! Make way for Firefly, ready for her first day of magic school!”

Firefly, whose height almost matched Luna’s these days, hesitantly came down the stairs holding an empty backpack in her claws while Argos followed faithfully behind her. She put on the best smile she could, but she felt the railing of the stairs turn icy under her touch - she made ice in her claws when she was nervous. But finally she was standing in front of her four caretakers, looking up at them.

Twilight teleported some books into her backpack. “Your very first textbooks! These are for the supplementary classes you’ll take at the School of Friendship.”

Luna teleported some quills and scrolls into the backpack. “Writing materials so that you can take the most studios notes!”

Celestia made a small box tied with a pink kerchief appear. “I packed a lunch for you - apples and gems and chocolate milk and a daisy sandwich and apple pie!"

Discord grinned. “And I made sure you’ll be all decked out for school spirit!” He snapped, and instantly Firefly was wearing a Magic School sweatshirt and a Friendship school hat and holding pendant flags for each one. Discord also threw in some confetti for good measure.

Firefly smiled at all of them. But then she put down the backpack and the lunch, and took off the sweatshirt and the hat. Argos nuzzled her side for support, and she took a deep breath. “I want to tell you all something. Promise you won’t be sad?”

Everyone blinked. Celestia shook her head. “Of course not, Firefly. What is it?”

“Did you decide to stay here and do home schooling with Papa! Because that offer definitely still stands!” Discord grinned sheepishly, hands clasped together.

“Not exactly, Papa. Sorry.” Firefly shrugged. “Um, well…it’s just…I already learn so much about magic from you and Mama Celie.” She turned to the other alicorns in the room. “And I learn so much about friendship from you, Aunt Luna and Aunt Twi.” She looked down, holding Argos. “I…want to go to regular school. At the little school house. In Ponyville.”

Celestia and Discord each raised an eyebrow.

Firefly smiled and went on. “I just like the idea of going somewhere quiet and doing projects and learning more about math and writing and science. It sounds fun. And I’d like to get to know the kids in Ponyville better. I know you all were looking forward to me going to your schools though, so if you really want…I’ll try.” She bit her lip, hesitantly looking up at all of them.

The four creatures glanced at each other. Twilight considered. “You’ve already sat in on classes at the School of Magic and the School of Friendship. Maybe you’d like to try just sitting in on classes the school in Ponyville first to be sure it’s what you’re looking for?”

Firefly glanced to the side. “I, uh…kind of already have. Heh. I’ve been enrolled the last two weeks. And I’ve maybe been...sneaking off there instead of going to the library each day to prepare for your schools. I was scared to tell you. Sorry.”

Discord furrowed his brow and considered, twirling his beard. “Well, I’m torn. See, I’m amused that you’ve been sneaking out, but I’m disappointed in myself that I haven't taught you better places to sneak out to than school. Terrible oversight on my part.”

Twilight rolled her eyes and Luna nudged him as Celestia held back a laugh. Celestia shared a meaningful look with each of them then approached a wary Firefly. “In the future we would appreciate knowing where you are, Firefly. But we understand you were worried about how we would feel.” She sighed. “My dear Firefly, as long as you’re happy, we’re happy. You never have to hide your feelings. Your life should be lived to find your own path, not to please us.”

Discord nodded and came forward too. “Also I’ve clearly done a terrible job at teaching you to be more selfish. My fault. You are your own person, and I want you to proudly celebrate and satisfy all the unique parts of yourself.” He tickled her behind her horns, and she laughed.

“Perhaps we could all escort you to school today?” Luna asked. “We would love to see you off properly and show our support.”

“I think you’ll have a good time at the Ponyville school,” Twilight added. “The Cutie Mark Crusaders learned a lot there, and so did my friends when they were fillies.”

Firefly’s eyes brightened and she smiled and nodded. “Yes, please! Can Argos come too?” She looked up at them with pleading eyes.

“The whole family!” Discord nodded and snapped them them all into a chariot pulled by flying pigs. “To Ponyville!” They took off, Firefly laughing as Argos licked her face while her group of caretakers watched over her, enjoying the memory.


~*SEVEN YEARS LATER*~

Discord and Celestia and Luna had gone away for a full week to visit Tirek and Rain Shine and their latest foal (they were at three so far). Twilight had been called away to the Crystal Empire to help Flurry Heart and Cozy Glow with some mild windego trouble. Argos was spending some time with Cerberus at Tartarus. And Fluttershy was busy with a new brood of cockatrice’s in the sanctuary. But teenage Firefly was certainly capable of being alone at the castle for a week and maintaining some order…

Celestia and Discord and Luna arrived home early, however, to find that this assumption was not the case.

Specifically they arrived home around midnight to discover that a rather raging party was occurring in their castle, complete with flashing lights, loud music, and raucous teens of every species drifting in and out of their home.

The three of them just floated on a cloud above the melee with their jaws fallen.

Luna cleared her throat. “Er…perhaps…there is a very small chance that Firefly went to stay with friends, and while she was gone some teenagers found our castle and decided to make themselves at home?”

Celestia’s eyes, full of bewilderment, shot over to her.

Luna shrugged with a dry look. “I just wanted to suggest the benefit of the doubt before we dealt with the truth of the matter at hoof.”

Celestia looked back at the castle, her brow furrowed deeply.

Discord blinked and managed to speak. “To be fair, she’s young and she was raised by the embodiment of chaos and a few adventurous alicorns. And maybe that thing Luna said about a wandering party finding it’s way into our castle is true! Heh…”

Celestia frowned.

Discord sighed. “Okay, look, yes, it’s clear Firefly threw a party while we were gone. But she probably meant to clean up before we even got home. You know she’s a good girl, she would never let things get out of hand!”

There was a sound of breaking glass from inside the castle followed by some young person shouting that they had just found a passage to a secret pantry full of cake and telling everyone to dig in.

“Sister?” Luna asked hesitantly - she did not like the sudden eye twitch her sister had developed.

Celestia spread her wings. “Well, Firefly can explain everything once we find her. Because the second I set eyes on her, she is going to meet me in the library. And we’ll chat.” And then Celestia swooped down to the party.

“Oh stars…” Luna flew after her.

Discord bit his lip and held up his hands. “Uh, wait! You know, maybe we should just try and vibe with the party first! Then we can all have fun and a good laugh about this, heh…” He flew after them.

The trio flew through the castle, scattering suddenly terrified teens in their wake. Creatures were dancing, pouring drinks, eating them out of house and home, blasting music, and a few couples had found their way to private corners for some time together. Discord and Luna stayed beside Celestia until they all landed in the throne room. Finally Celestia sighed and glanced at her husband. “Discord, can you sense her dragon magic to find her please? I’m too tired to search for her like this.”

Discord nodded and closed his eyes. He opened them and sighed. “She’s on the roof out back.” They heard a distinct loud sound. “And I’m guessing she’s the one setting off fireworks.”

Luna had to smile a little. “Reminds you of what Starswirl must have gone through bringing us up, right, sister?”

Celestia cracked a small smile of her own. “Maybe…”

“Oh please, you two did not throw a rager like this one in this castle while he was gone,” Discord replied in disbelief.

“No,” Celestia shook her head, looking a bit guilty.

“We merely snuck off to Las Pegasus some weekends in the city’s early days for some fun,” Luna explained with a smirk.

Discord blinked then snorted through his nose.

Celestia sighed. “But however fun those times were, they were also risky and reckless. Firefly is growing, and we have to handle this problem in the right way so she knows that there are limits and that she has to take responsibility for her actions.”

Discord hesitated, holding his tail in his hands. “But…it seems like such a shame. She’s socializing, and it’s so nice to see her cutting loose with some chaos. I don't want to call her out for something all three of us would have done at her age.”

“You threw a house party in a castle?” Luna raised an eyebrow.

Discord shrugged sheepishly. “Grand luau in a Neigh-gyptian pyramid. Same basic concept.”

Celestia sighed deeply and really had to try and hold back a laugh. “Come on, let’s just go to the roof and sort things out. We have to confront her sooner or later.” She used her magic and teleported them away.

Sure enough on the roof there was Firefly (she had her wings these days — pink at the ridges and a frosted blue color throughout the rest of them). She flew around lighting fireworks off with her fire breath then making fun ice sculptures with her ice breath. She looked down at the grounds with a smile. “What do you guys think?”

From below, an especially raucous group of young dragons and others cheered her on.

Celestia took a breath. “Lady Firefly,” she addressed the young dragon by the royal title they had given her a few years ago — something she always saved for moments of discipline, “I wasn’t aware you were holding a party this evening. Are we invited?”

Firefly froze, her eyes wide. She went to take off from the roof but Luna appeared in front of her. “I believe it would be better if you spoke to us now. I’m afraid the jig is up.”

Firefly sighed and turned around. She put on a sheepish smile. “Mama Celie, Aunt Luna, Papa! Heh…you weren’t supposed to be back til tomorrow.”

Discord shrugged. “Scorpan came to the Kirin lands to visit Tirek too, and we didn’t want to interrupt the family bonding, so we left early.” He glanced around. “I’m…glad you weren’t bored.”

She clasped her claws together. “I’d like to point out that technically you didn’t say no parties.”

“It was heavily implied,” Celestia responded cooly.

Firefly swallowed and lost her smile.

Discord frowned looking back and forth between them. He quickly flew over to Firefly. “Oh, come now, teenagers do things. And is this really that bad? She just had a few - dozen - friends over. She is a good girl, and this does not need to be blown up into something big. She wasn’t being dangerous or villainous. If anything, she was trying a new way to make friends!”

Celestia frowned. “Discord, I know you don’t like it when she gets in trouble but —“

“Trouble? Do we really have to use the T word?” Discord flew up and around, rambling a little. “She didn’t mean any harm, and I’m sure next time she’ll just let us know if she wants to throw a party, and we can all boogie down together.”

Even Luna sighed now. “Discord, that’s not the point. She did something requiring a true apology and action to make it right.”

“Papa, you’re so cool — I knew you’d get it! It’s just a fun time!” Firefly flew up and hugged him with a big smile, then pulled back with her eyes bright. “And I put a lot of chaos theory into this party! There’s a make-your-own-dessert-pizza station in the kitchen, and different kinds of music playing in each part of the castle, and I even froze some chocolate milk into a life-size Ursa Minor sculpture near the lake! You should see it!” She tugged him away.

“Well, I…” he hesitated, looking back and forth between the expectant alicorns and the eager dragon. “Firefly…”

“And then I can introduce you to all my new dragon friends!” She waved down to the rowdy group below that were cheering and breathing fire and sometimes wrestling each other for fun (but with a lot of bone-crushing sounds). “They were passing through on a migration and decided to ditch their clan and join the party. They lit some of the backyard on fire when they landed, but I put it out super quick with my ice breath! See, I was definitely being responsible.”

Celestia scowled and Luna brought a hoof to her forehead. Discord’s smile became more uncomfortable. “That all sounds - like something I would have loved to be part of centuries ago… But…”

“And now all of us and a bunch of my friends from school are gonna teleport to Las Pegasus to ride that famous big indoor roller coaster and eat at the buffets and play poker and go to a rock concert!”

Discord finally stopped letting her slowly pull him along. His eye was twitching. Celestia and Luna both smiled in some relief at the sight. “You…what?”

Firefly spread her wings. “Las Pegasus! Concert! Roller coaster and buffet and poker — I did learn how to have fun from the best after all!” She winked at him. “Now, I know what you’re thinking — how are we all gonna teleport that far in one night? Well, it’s all worked out! We got this special teleportation stone from this shop outside of Ponyville. Now, the book I found on it says it’s cursed, but that's just a legend and there’s no hard proof. So we’re gonna give it a shot, and no matter what happens, it’ll be an adventure!” She clapped her claws together eagerly and flew up.

Discord remained on the ground. “No.”

“What?” Firefly blinked.

Discord pulled his arm free and clasped his hands together. He took a deep breath. “No — you cannot run off to a strange busy city all night with a bunch of your friends and also creatures you don’t know using a cursed object as a mode of transportation. I was down for the house party, the fireworks, the mess here… But I’m at my limit. When your fun puts you in danger, the fun needs to stop.”

She scoffed and landed. “Oh come on! You’re so cool, Papa! And I’m not a little girl dragon anymore. Now stop kidding around, I’ve gotta go! See you tomorrow sometime!”

She went to fly away and found herself trapped in a magic bubble at a snap of Discord’s fingers. “What? Hey!”

She turned around. Discord was standing between Celestia and Luna, all three with stern expressions. Discord spoke. “Luna is going to see your friends off. I am going to make sure there aren’t any leftover fires around to put out. And Celestia is going to have a talk with you in the library. And then you are going right to sleep.”

“No!” She huffed and breathed fire and ice against the bubble but it wouldn’t break. “Papa Discord, you’re embarrassing me!” She blushed as some of the dragons below laughed.

“I’d rather have an embarrassed daughter than one lost, cursed, and in way over her head.” He shrugged. “And I’d also like one considerate enough to not do things behind our backs while we’re away.”

Firefly blinked then frowned. She looked way from him. “Whatever. Mama Cel— Celestia, Mother, let’s just go talk so I can go to bed. The party’s ruined now anyway.”

Celestia nodded and touched Discord’s arm when she saw him swallow and wince a little, then she teleported away with their dragon daughter. Luna put her hoof on Discord’s shoulder — he was frowning a lot. “We knew parenting a teenager wouldn’t be easy. You did the right thing.”

“I know. It’s just never the easy thing to do.” He sighed. Then he snapped and made a siren appear. “Come on, let’s scare the kids out by making them think this is a raid. Then we’ll find Celestia.” They two beings flew off.

Soon the castle was dark and mostly empty but still a mess. Upstairs, following a stern discussion in the library and some time to think, Discord, Celestia and Luna were in Celestia and Discord’s bedroom parlor with Firefly in front of them, looking down.

Firefly took a deep breath, her anger from before replaced with sincerity. “I’m sorry I threw a party like that without telling you. Maybe it did get a little out of control…or whatever. I just thought it’d be fun, and it was.” She pouted. “But I didn’t mean to upset you. You three and Aunt Twi all just had such cool lives growing up. I wanted some cool memories too.”

“You are growing up, becoming restless - tis understandable,” Luna offered with a small smile.

Celestia touched Firefly’s shoulder. “Maybe we shouldn’t have left you alone for so long without making sure you had something fun to do. I know this castle can feel very empty when you’re by yourself in it.” She looked down. Luna touched her hoof and Celestia smiled again.

Discord swallowed. “I know I’m officially not the cool parent anymore. But…you don’t have to do reckless things to prove you’re amazing. You already are, my Firefly. You’re as cool as your Moms and me any day. I didn’t mean to embarrass you though.”

She swallowed and blushed a little. “It’s okay, Papa. Part of me…was kind of scared to go that far away overnight, and to use a sort of cursed object. But I didn’t want the others to find out. So I’m kind of relieved you showed up and made it so I couldn't go no matter what.”

He sighed, smiling more. “You know, if you want to plan a safe weekend away with your friends, and if you let us know where and when you’re going, and if you promise to send scrolls to us to let us know everything’s fine, that might be okay. Okay?”

She nodded. Then she bit her lip. “So…what’s my punishment?”

Celestia sighed. “We talked it over. Tomorrow all of us are going to clean the castle together by hand and hoof - you included.”

Firefly sighed. “Okay, I guess that’s fair.” She yawned. “Can I go to bed now? I’m really tired.”

They nodded.

Firefly came forward and kissed each of them on the cheek and they kissed her in return. She flew to the door. “Goodnight. I love you.”

“We love you too, Firefly,” Discord assured.

She left them.

Luna yawned next. “I’m heading to bed as well. Can we get a very late start on the whole cleaning thing tomorrow? I’m exhausted…though it was fun transfiguring into Nightmare Moon to frighten away some of those teenagers.” She grinned.

Celestia laughed. “Yes, I think all of us need a good, long night’s sleep. Goodnight, sister.”

Luna yawned again and teleported away.

Discord instantly snapped them into the bedroom and collapsed back on the bed. “Chaos was not meant to discipline teenagers. Deep down I AM an unruly teenager.” He rubbed his brow.

Celestia cuddled close to him. “We did good though, all three of us. I promise.” She kissed his cheek. “Want me to tell you the story again of the time I disciplined Twilight because she cursed a doll so she would have a friendship problem to write to me about? It was not easy.”

“Ooo that story involves firm Celestia and her near-royal Canterlot voice. A personal favorite.” He chuckled.

Celestia used her magic to pull the covers up over both of them. “Once upon a time in the magical land of Equestria — before you and I knew that we were passionately in love…”

“Ooo good beginning, keep going!”

She giggled. “There was a little pony who made a small mistake that snowballed into a rather big problem. And I knew as one of the ponies looking out for her it was my job to help her realize where she’d gone wrong and how to make it right.”

Celestia told the story until the two of them dozed off together.

The next day the family awoke late to clean the castle, which was actually fun, especially at the end when they all sat down to a large breakfast of pancakes. Firefly described the highlights of her party before it had gotten a little out of hand, and Celestia and Discord and Luna listened in interest and with a large degree of gratitude that they had indeed come home early (especially before the intended food fight or the bonfire out back or a rousing game of hunt the cockatrice had taken place).

Raising a child was interesting…but despite the bumps, they were all grateful for their time together. After all, Firefly wouldn’t be a child forever.


~*FIVE YEARS LATER*~

Another gala, another chance for everyone to come together at the Canterlot Castle and mingle and celebrate and dance. Celestia, Discord, and Luna always attended each year, and for the last few Firefly had come as well. She liked to dress up in colorful outfits (her favorites were the ones designed by her Uncle Sombra) and eat chocolate sculptures and dance with her Celie-Mom and Aunts Luna and Twi, and of course with her Papa Discord.

Last year Tirek’s son Asherik had come for the first time along with his parents (the younger ones stayed with Scorpan and their cousins), and Firefly had gotten to know him better and they'd even danced once. They’d written letters since then, and become friendly.

So Celestia had been a little concerned that Firefly had seemed less enthusiastic than usual about gala preparations this year.

And Discord had been utterly perplexed when, instead of making herself the life of the party, Firefly had kept as hidden as possible and then nearly both froze and set some curtains on fire in surprise when Asherik had approached her to say hi. She’d waved then babbled something and flew off.

Discord sensed her magic and found her out in the garden, reclining on a chair. This was a familiar spot. During their first gala, he and Celestia had come out here to talk after their first friendly fight when Discord had embarrassed Celestia by fawning all over her with attention because he was too afraid to express that he loved her.

Discord adjusted his bowtie and flew over the seat beside his daughter. “This seat taken?”

Firefly sighed deeply and shook her head. As Discord landed, she swallowed. “Can I go home now, Papa?”

Discord shrugged. “You’re a young adult with wings and a basic working knowledge of the local geography — you can go whenever you’d like. But I’d kind of like to know why you’d like to go home, if that’s okay?”

She blushed. “It’s embarrassing.”

“Ooo, well, now I have to know.”

She almost cracked a smile. She bit her lip and sat up. “Asherik…likes me. You know… Special kind of likes me. ‘Auntie Cadence’s magic’ kind of likes me. He told me in his last letter.”

“Ah.” Discord twirled his beard. “Well, that’s new. And…how do you feel about—“

“I don’t.” Her look was dry. “He’s a great friend, but I don’t like him like that at all. I just don’t feel anything like he feels. Except I do feel bad…” She frowned. “I don’t know how to tell him the truth. I know it’s going to hurt him. But I can’t lie to him. So I’m avoiding him, but I can’t do that forever either.” She pulled in her knees, hugging around her blue and purple dress. “I wish I was better at these things, like you and Mama Celie.”

Discord laughed and snorted through his nose.

Firefly scowled. “It’s not funny! This is a real problem, Papa!’

“Oh of course, I know it is!” He assured quickly with a supportive smile. “It’s just… your Mama Celestia and I were not always so great at ‘these things’. In fact I was downright terrible at them.” He rolled his eyes.

Firefly raised an eyebrow. “But you always tell stories about how you two found each other when you came back from being banished and how you felt so connected and how great your courtship was.”

He cleared his throat. “Well, we…brushed over some of the rougher parts at the start. Made for a better story to tell to a little dragon girl before bedtime. Plus I’m not a big fan of reliving some of the more horrifically awkward moments.” He sighed. “Like, our first gala for example… it wasn’t just that we went together and had a good time but decided not to date yet even if it made us a little sad. I was head-over-hooves in love with your Mother but had zero courage to tell her, then I overheard her with some other ponies and misunderstood and thought she was in love with me too, then I pulled her out onto the dance floor and confessed to her in the air and tried to dip her back for a kiss.” He was blushing and cringing. “She said no, I realized the mistake I made, and then I disappeared to sulk in a donut shop for an hour, convinced our friendship was over. She came to find me and we talked and it was embarrassing but it helped. And then we went from there.” He shrugged. “Love is never easy, Firefly, and neither is friendship. There are wrinkles you have to work through.”

She was frowning. “But see, Mama Celie told you she didn’t like you back, and you were sad.”

“I would have felt much worse if she’d tried to pretend to like me back or if she’d avoided me entirely. It was a hurt we couldn’t help but we worked through it and had a great friendship for years afterwards until we decided we were ready to try and be something more again.” He smiled. “Just be honest and clear with Asherik. He’ll understand.”

Firefly stood up and came forward to hug Discord. “I’ll try, Papa. Thanks.” Then she pulled back, an eyebrow raised. “A donut shop?”

He shrugged. “Sugar is an excellent compliment to all emotional states.”

She laughed a little. “I’ll go talk to Asherik. But you go back inside too — I’m sure Mama Celie misses you, and I love watching you two dance together, especially when Aunt Luna and Aunt Twi dance too.”

Discord nodded and stood up. He held out his arm. “Shall I escort you inside, Lady Firefly?”

She held her head high with a proud grin. “Indeed you may, Prince Papa Discord!

They headed inside together, laughing to each other.

Firefly found Asherik soon and took him to a quieter part of the ballroom to talk.

Celestia and Discord looked on together. Discord had already filled her in.

Firefly was shy but determined. Asherik frowned at first. But then they shook hands and he smiled a little again. Firefly gestured out to the dance floor, and he took her up on her offer and they danced together.

Celestia smiled. “She handled that entire situation much better than we did.”

“Oh yes, we raised this one real good.” Discord nodded. Then he held out his arm. “Want to dance and fall in love all over again, darling Celestia?”

She blushed and laughed and nodded. “I’d love to, my Discord!”

He instantly scooped her up on two hooves and twirled her around. Luna and Twilight noticed from across the ballroom, then bowed to each other and began to dance as well. And in another part of the ballroom, Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow caught up and laughed and even teased each other just like old times but better.

Gala nights really could be some of the best nights ever.


~*THREE YEARS LATER*~

The sun was up — and Celestia and Discord had remained in bed for a while now talking.

“She wants to see the world…and all the people she loves in it.” Celestia gazed at her husband whose head was on the pillow beside hers.

“I know…but we already take her to see the world on our own adventures together. That should be good enough…right?” Discord tried to smile, but it was painfully unconvincing.

Celestia touched his paw. “She’s an adult - she’s even a little older now than Twilight was when she left Canterlot for Ponyville.”

“But she’s not just going to Ponyville.” Discord sat up and pouted. “She wants to start by living in the dragon lands for a year and then in the Crystal Empire and then…who knows?” He clutched at Celestia’s hoof and laughed nervously. “Sorry, I…was not nearly this ridiculous when the other ‘children’ left home. Twilight and everyone. I’m not sure why I’m this skittish about Firefly.”

“Well, to be fair… we didn’t raise Twilight and the others from birth.” She sat up and moved closer to him. “Firefly will be fine. I promise.”

He looked into her eyes, calmer now. “I know. But I’m still going to be an absolute wreck about it inside. I’m just glad I have you here with me - content to keep an old draconequus company without wandering off for adventure.”

She laughed softly. “Always. And I’m happy you’re content with me too.” They shared a kiss.

Then Discord took a deep breath. “All right, let’s tell her we’re on board.”

Celestia nodded. Then she made a scroll appear, wrote something on it, and sent it away.

A few moments later a blur of pink flew out of the chute behind the big painting in their wall and tumbled onto their bed. She smiled, ice blue eyes bright and happy, wings spread wide, and her tail rather long these days and surprisingly similar to Discord’s with a little blue tuft at the end. “Papa… Mama Celie.” She stood up tall. “You wanted to see me?” She looked back and forth between them eagerly.

Discord sighed with a smile and floated up and around her then sat down at her side. She barely came up to his beard, but she was still so much bigger than that first day she’d hatched here. “You can go.”

Her eyes brightened and she squealed and puffs of frost came out of her ears while smoke came out of her nose. She wrapped herself around him tightly. “Thank you, Papa!”

He laughed and hugged her back. “Thank, Mama Celie — she spent a very long time talking down my dramatic panic.”

Firefly unwound from him and flew to sit in front of Celestia. “Thank you. I promise I’ll write every day.”

“I know you will, my darling.” She hugged the little dragon. “And Ember will take good care of you. You’ll have a wonderful time. I hope you won’t mind if we visit.”

“Of course not! You have to visit! And Aunt Luna and Aunt Twilight! I’d miss you so much if you didn’t!”

Discord was wiping at tears as he smiled. “Just remember to take breaks to visit cool places. You know too much heat doesn’t agree with you.”

“I’ll remember.” She rolled her eyes and laughed. Then she took each of their arms in one of her claws. “Come on, let’s go downstairs and tell Aunt Luna and Aunt Twilight!”

They got up and followed her downstairs. She was smiling very much and her tail was held high and swishing - a sure suspicious sign from their Firefly.

Their suspicions were confirmed when they rounded a corner into the throne room and found it full of many familiar faces and a banner that read “Happy 50th Anniversary, Celestia and Discord!”

“Surprise!” Firefly turned to them. “Happy Anniversary! You thought we forgot, but we didn’t!” She held her head high then flew over to join the guests.

Twilight and Luna lead the group, holding hooves. Behind them were many familiar faces to see. A grown Luster Dawn was visible, not quite a princess but now the Mayor of Canterlot with a bright future ahead. Breezy was with her, an astronomer at the Canterlot observatory and caretaker of the creatures of the night at Fluttershy’s sanctuary. Fluttershy was there too, much of the pink in her hair faded to white but still strong and happy. Cadance and Shining Armor and Flurry Heart had come as well, along with Cozy Glow - fully grown into a mare and with a crown along with her Captain of the Guard Helmet as well as a medal around her neck for chess. Sombra was there too with Stygian by his side - an odd pairing but somehow they had worked out divinely: Sombra had become an historian much like Stygian, complementing his coltfriend’s quiet delivery with dynamic reenactments, and also sold his own line of capes through Carousel Boutiques many locations. Chrysalis and Novo were next, SkystarSkystar between them, holding each of their hooves in one of hers. And then Tirek and Rain Shine and their four little kirin/centaur children, and Scorpan with his wife and children too.

Discord and Celestia smiled brightly at their friends and then to each other and then to their little girl.

“Well,” Discord wiped a tear from his eye and laughed, “if this is a party let’s get it started! Palace Pokey!” The room started to spin around them. Everyone gasped and laughed and squealed. And he flew up and took Celestia with him, holding her in his arms.

She smiled. “Happy Fiftieth Anniversary, my Discord.”

He gazed into her eyes. “Happy Fiftieth Anniversary, Darling Celestia.”

They leaned in and shared a kiss until the room finally stopped spinning and they rejoined the others and Firefly to celebrate their life together and their final time together before she would set out into the world on her own.

Life had turned in so many strange directions for all of them, each path leading to the happiness, friendship, and love here and now.

Author's Note:

Hi everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. Thank you all so much for your patience for this story's ending <3 The last few months, life kind of got away from me, and I was sick for a bit and then dealing with some work and personal stuff. But I've been wanting to share this conclusion for a while, and I finally had a chance to finish it up. I just wanted to give them all a little happy ending :) Thank you all for your support on this multi-fin saga lol. I've loved writing this story and having you read it <3

I may write more pony in the future - G4 and G5 too, but I'm not sure yet. I do have some ideas though :) In the meantime, I've been doing a little writing on AO3 under the same name (Azure129) if anyone wants to check it out.

Thanks again, everyone! Take care! <3

-Jenna

Comments ( 12 )

This final chapter was wonderful, and as always well worth the wait! It was wonderful to see every creature together and happy. I’m glad Discord and Celestia decided to raise Firefly as their daughter. Definitely the two best parents!

Hope you’re doing well and that all is going well for you. Will definitely be looking forward to reading more of your stories! Take care!

if this chapter's the finale, why isn't the story marked complete?

I’m so happy to see you updated! I hope you continue to write mlp fanfic because you are really good at it. I saw you still have this story marked as incomplete. Do you have plans to possible continue it?

What a lovely ending! I loved Firefly's growth into an adult.

11241196
Of course! And thank you so much for reading ☺️

11237996
Thanks so much! I’m happy you liked the end and her little story 🙂

11234804
I forgot to change the status lol - it’s not on my usual checklist of things to do when posting ^^ All fixed now though!

11235369
Thanks so much! 💜 I still have some story ideas I might like to explore, and I might even trying writing G5 too at some point after I see more of the content. The G4 characters always inspire me most though ☺️ Also thank you for the reminder, I totally forgot to make the fic complete! I don’t have plans for more at the moment but if I get ideas for stuff one day I might start a new fic and do some one shots or something in this fic’s world. Thank you so much for reading! 💜

11234795
Hey!!! It’s so good to hear from you! I’m really happy to hear you liked the end. It really meant a lot to me to get to bring everyone more into the future and to give Firefly a little story of her own 💜 And of course with her two best parents lol.

Thanks — I’m managing some life changes right now but I think they’re going to be for the better. And I’m working on some original content too that I’m excited about. And im looking forward to maybe doing some more stuff with pony in the future ☺️ I hope you’re doing well too!

11243690
I know a while back you said you had an idea for making Celestia catch feelings first. Are you still planning on exploring that? I’d be very interested and sounds fun.

Here at last... I'm both glad to witness the grand finale, but sad to know there won't be any more updates.
What a tale this has been... I've had a blast following this saga over the years. So many highs and struggles. Truly one of the best Dislestia series. And the TwiLuna sprinklings alongside the many other couples has been very enjoyable to read. You handled a lot of couples, both new and established well.
I got very close to happy tears here with this final chapter. While I had hoped to see Discord and Celestia have their own child too, raising a special dragon such as Firefly has been a pleasure to read. You captured their final moments in this story well and its left me with a warm fuzzy feeling and I'll be sure to fondly remember this story.

Login or register to comment