• Published 4th Apr 2020
  • 428 Views, 77 Comments

Not Always Hugs - David Silver



The tsuki have emerged from darkness to greet the crystal ponies with open arms. Culture and knowledge flowed freely between the rabbits and ponies and life was growing better, and more complicated. Things change when a trade caravan is attacked.

  • ...
8
 77
 428

6 - Measures of Strength

"Your highness." A crystal stallion saluted sharply, hoof raised. "We found the missing scout."

Cadance's expression brightened, but it was a brief thing. She could see the guard held no good news. "What happened?"

"They were..." He cleared his throat softly, then turned on himself, producing a letter. "We found this."

Her magic glowed around the paper, drawing it near, eyes sweeping left and right rapidly. "Is this what they had found?" The guard didn't know, there was no way he could. "You perished to get it to us." She turned to face Shining Armor across the room, advancing on him as the paper accelerated faster than her.

It reached him, floating in front of his face and interrupting the chat he'd been having. "Mm?" The glow around it changed as his magic took charge of it, taking his turn to sweep his eyes across it. "What is this?"

"This is intelligence it seems a loyal citizen died to retrieve." Cadance closed at his side. "What do you make of it?"

"Were they... Did they give us this?" He pointed at the floating letter.

"They were... gone. They found the letter." She shook her head slowly. "This needs to stop, yesterday."

"Which is exactly why we're on the case." He leaned against her, the gesture returned as they drew some small measure of strength from one another. "But we can't be sure."

"Sure of what?" The pink princess hiked a brow high. "Our guards do not deliver news of death lightly."

"I'm not uncertain of that." He pointed at the paper firmly. "But they didn't hand us this paper. It may not be from them."

"They killed a scout and put this on them?!" Cadance's voice rose to a shrill note trying to envision that grisly scenario. "To what end?"

"We can't know." He folded the letter in half, then again, tucking it away. "But one thing is clear."

"Now is not the time for suspense, dear."

He leaned in, touching his nose to her cheek. "Sorry. I just mean, whether it's a trick or not, we have to investigate. This is our only clue. We just have to make sure it doesn't hurt us more than we hurt whatever we find."

Cadance looked ready to object, but she took a slow breath, extending a hoof with the exhale much as she'd shown her sister in law. "Yes... Are you going with them?"

"I planned to." He nodded firmly. "I'll keep them safe."

"I know you'll do your best." Her wings fidgeted restlessly on her back. "Travel swiftly, quietly, and surely. Take those you trust who can fulfill those requirements."

"Way ahead of you." He was smiling confidently. "Already thinking of a crew. Oh, tell the tsuki's rep. It's about time he had something significant to write home about." He turned away, starting to trot. "I'll be back, with some good news."

Cadance turned, watching him go. Her words were quiet, "Just come back."


"Now, look, ah know this ain't what ya planned." Applejack was gently patting her new ward on the head. "But ah ain't gonna raise no filly without no proper education like. So you get on with Apple Bloom and learn ya somethin' good." She nodded firmly with conviction.

Little Hop looked far less certain of her adult caretaker. "Not pony," she pointed out even as she indicated herself with an extended finger, another thing that marked her as not a pony. "Go to tsuki school?"

Applejack inclined her head. "If we had a tsuki school, well, sure, ah'd send ya right there. But... we don't. We only got the one, so it's the one ya gotta go to. They'll teach ya good things, promise. Tell her." She looked to Apple Bloom.

Apple Bloom started upright. "Huh? Yeah! Cheerilee's a great mare and she knows all kindsa stuff!" She cantered in place. "Ah'll walk with ya there. Show ya around, introduce ya to the others. They'll like you, promise!"

"If you're sure..." Little Hop hesitantly nodded. "I will try." She hopped up, landing facing the outside world and its mysteries. "When?"

Apple Bloom trotted up beside her. "We can go now, if ya want. Meet some ponies that hang out afore school starts." She inclined her head to indicate the space before them.

Little glanced back at the watching Applejack, then her sister, both smiling at her hopefully. "May as well," she allowed, reaching up to run fingers along one of her horns. "They won't make fun of me, for being different?"

"Different ain't bad," assured Apple Bloom. "I mean, they may say some stuff, but that's 'cause they're curious."

"And need some learnin'." Applejack walked to a low desk, grabbing a quill and jotting out a note with it held in her teeth. "Give this to Cheerilee. She should be on extra watch, 'till ya fit right in."

Apple Bloom grabbed the note once it was folded and tucked it away in a saddlebag. "Got it. Let's go!" And off she charged.

"Bye!" Little waved before springing forward, a little hop to get past the door, then a grand bounding motion to catch up with Apple Bloom. She was no grown tsuki yet, her speed wasn't such that she could sail easily past Apple Bloom, but she caught up at least, the two hurrying off to school.


Twilight glanced off to the side, a motion catching her attention. Was that a tsuki? She caught sight of it just as it landed beside some foals, just about as small. "An exchange program?" She smiled at the thought of it. "How charming." Applejack had not shared with her the tale of the small tsuki, and she paid it no further mind, continuing on her task. "Spike, isn't it nice to see my school is starting to influence other educational institutions to follow suit?"

"Yeah?" He was peering at the tiny tsuki in the distance. "Kinda fast, but cool. Hey, now that you bring it up, why don't we have any tsuki at our school?" He lifted his shoulders high, hands upturned. "I never thought of that before, but it seems funny now that it's brought up."

"You're not wrong." She nodded once firmly. "I'll send a letter to them. Perhaps they'll send some bright-eyed eager little students for us to teach." She had to pause, rearing up to clop her fore hooves together. "Wouldn't that be exciting!?"

"Sure, yeah." He flew ahead of her a few paces, wings flapping at a sedate rate. "The way that one was bouncing though, wonder how they do with doors?"

Twilight inclined her head, considering that. "Surely they have doors of their own... You do remember Toby, do you not? He navigated doors."

"True." He made double guns at Twilight. "Can't argue that. Oh, hey Rarity." He raised a hand, waving at Rarity, a happy smile on his face. "How's it--"

"--Lovely to see you, Spike, but, Twilight." Rarity tossed her mane. "Have you heard?"

"Heard?" Twilight frowned a moment before the expression eased. "A tasteless fashion trend?"

"Not that, darling. I do have other concerns." She waved it off, looking mildly offended. "There's talk all through the upper crust. Something terrible is going on up north. Haven't Cadence or Shining Armor talked to you about it?"

"No?" Twilight's advance slowed to a stop, her eyes on Rarity squarely. "Are they alright?"

"From what I hear, they are, themselves, just fine, dear, but the empire itself, and their poor little bunny friends, less so. Some brigands are--"

They were thrown aside in opposite directions, Spike sent flying to the side as an explosion ripped apart the area between them, showering other ponies who were nearby with dirt and debris. A shrill cry was soon joined by others are ponies began to scatter in abject panic.


"Magic is aware of the situation," reported a griffon with an ornate earring, taloned hand feeling over it. "An agent in the town has activated and is attacking her."

"Fool!" barked the griffon on his throne. "Withdraw, instantly. We don't need that kind of attention there."

"As you command." The jeweled griffon turned away, speaking lowly to themselves, "Withdraw immediately. Abort the fight. Continue observation when it is safe to do so. Yes..."


Twilight hit the ground with a grunt of pain, her horn glowing as she erected a hasty barrier around herself, just in time for the next explosion to detonate against its side. The two fought in a brilliant flash that sent her flying anew. She spread her wings, hovering in the air as a new bubble formed around her. "What's going on?!"

"I'm oh k--" Spike did not get to finish his statement, a bright bolt of energy smashing the ground far too close for his comfort and sending him scurrying away with a squeak. "Hey!"

"There they go!" Rarity pointed to a winged figure obscured in the raised dust and debris. "They're getting away!"

"On it!" Twilight vanished and appeared much higher, trying to get a view of who had attacked them, but their assailant had dived back into the houses of Ponyville, ducking behind some building or another, and she saw nothing. "What in Tartarus...? Spike, Rarity, you two alright? Everycreature else?"

Noises of affirmation came from her friends and anyone else in the area that hadn't already fled. Spike got up to his feet, wiping his face with an arm just to gasp in alarm. His arm was bloodied, though a napkin rapidly approached and began to fix that. "Poor dear." There was Rarity, tending to the bleeding nose. "That was most unkind."

"You can say that again." Spike stood still for her to work, a little blush in his cheeks. "Seriously, what was up with that? I'm used to monsters of the week, but spontaneous magic explosion attack isn't usually on the list."

Twilight landed beside the two. "I'm just glad everyone's alright. Mostly alright." She amended herself when she saw Spike being dabbed clean of his nosebleed. "Whatever, or whoever, that was, that was powerful. They tore the road apart, and my shield barely held up enough to keep the same from happening to me."

"Equal to Twilight," gasped Spike with obvious awe.

"Don't say that like it's an impossible thing." Twilight rolled her eyes. "While I am an eager student of magic, for raw power, I am not the most powerful pony I know. Have you seen what Starlight can do with brute force alone? That's what makes our spars so stimulating, power versus learned finesse. Truly, a timeless--"

"Darling, dear, shoosh." Rarity raised a hoof to place on Twilight's nose. "This isn't the time to obsess over magical spars. Really, that could have seriously hurt somecreature, or worse. Are you going to accept that?"

"Of course not. Spike, how are you feeling?" Twilight brushed Rarity's hoof away. "You alright?"

"Yeah, promise." He gave an emphatic thumbs up. "We should make sure the school's alright. If they were after you, maybe they'd--" Twilight vanished mid-sentence. "Or you could do that, sure."

Rarity shook her head. "She's a little rattled. I can't blame her, as if I'm not. This is scarcely the way to begin a day." Her horn glowed as she plucked up Spike, placing him on her back as she began towards the school.

Spike knew she was telling the truth. A properly coherent Rarity would not so swiftly grab him. Still, he didn't object to the good fortune hidden in the bad and he placed his hands on her shoulders from behind, holding respectfully. "So, what do you think that was? It had wings. Unicorns don't have wings."

"Unicorns don't usually blast us like that," countered Rarity. "... except when they do," she admitted, looking pensive. "Either way, I suppose this rules out Starlight, not that I thought it was her. What else has wings and does have magic? An alicorn? Well, clearly, they would qualify on that front." She looked over her shoulder at Spike. "But I cannot fathom a single one that would behave in such a manner! Really, can you imagine Luna, or Cadance, or even, forfend the thought, Princess Celestia engaging in such uncouth behavior? Heavens forbid! No, no. Not an alicorn."

"Probably not," agreed Spike, his eyes on the school they were approaching. "Hopefully nothing bad happened."

"This was certainly bad enough." Rarity gave a firm nod, her horn drawing the door open.


"Sister." Luna strolled into the throne room, Toby at her side. "There are matters that require your immediate--"

"--Sister dear." Celestia was smiling, that patient expression she had trained so well. "I am occupied with an important matter. May we speak as soon as this is complete." She inclined her head at the Saddle Arabian. "My apologies. Where were we?"

Toby tilted his head sharply left then right, but did not dare to question the ways of the Boss Princess. Instead he looked to Best Princess, walk-hopping to her. "What do we do now?"

"We wait." She gestured to the side and led him to sit near a window, giving her sister room to finish what she was doing. "My sister is doing what she does best, speaking well to other ponies." She snorted softly. "If that were the measure of a princess, she would be without rival."

"More than that." Toby shook his head, then pointed at Luna. "Best Princess."

Luna's sour expression brightened a little. "I am gladdened you are so firm in this belief. Still, she need know of what you told me. It is not every day one of our sworn allies is attacked, and in such a vicious manner. Did you contact the Crystal Empire?"

"Yes." He bobbed his head for emphasis. "They send me here, because you know." He pointed at Luna, then himself. "We are friends. Less time asking 'who is this?'"

"I understand." She smiled faintly. "The logic is sound. I have little reason to doubt your words. Equestria will not be known to abandon friends in need. That is not the pony way." She clopped the ground lightly with a metal-clad hoof. "We simply need speak with sister."

They sat together, watching Celestia exchange her quiet words with the representative of the larger Saddle Arabian tribe. The stallion nodded at her and walked towards the door, seemingly pleased with the result of their chat. "I will send a letter," he promised on his way out.

"Thank you for coming." Celestia looked to her guards. "We are in recess for an hour. See that any others waiting are seen to their every comfort." As the guard saluted, Celestia was already turning in place towards her sister and Toby, approaching at a sedate walk. "Now, what is it you've come with? It looks serious."

"Very series," agreed Toby, mangling the word. "Tsuki hurt, bad. Mean giffons--"

"Griffons." A letter floated clear of Luna, floating towards Celestia. "The details are here, written by Sombra, or someone close to them with good penponyship. They have requested our aid, invoking the right to do so as part of the agreement of friendship they signed."

Celestia hiked a brow at that. "Truly?" When Toby bobbed his head, she shook hers in response. "I did not think Sombra would be so swift to admit any fault or weakness. To call for us the moment they are attacked... Perhaps he has learned something."

Toby looked lost at what was being implied. "You will help? Please."

"Of course." She set a hoof on his shoulder. "Dear Toby, we will not abandon your people. They have been nothing but delightful friends to us, especially the Crystal Empire. But the description is that of a bandit raid. The call to mobilize our army seems... hasty."

Luna inclined her head. "Do your guards have more pressing business? Do you need them to stand immobile in more obvious places to uphold the peace of your domain?"

Celestia's kind expression dimmed faintly. "Luna, you are needling me without reason. I said I would take action."

"Then tell me, and be truthful. You intend to send Twilight and her friends to take care of it." Luna leaned forward, eyes half-lid with heavy doubt. "Tell me I am wrong."

Celestia could not meet the gaze and Luna circled to keep their eyes locked. "I knew it! This is a matter between nations, not a petty squabble for Twilight to handle."

"Just because some tsuki got hurt--"

"--hurt real bad," interjected Toby. "All the way hurt." He rubbed his hands together worriedly. "Can help?"

Towards Toby, she felt less sibling rivalry, extending a wing to rest on his side. "Of course we will. I will send a missive to Twilight--" She met Luna's eyes. "In addition to sending a contingent of guards to assist in the matter. The Crystal Empire is surely involved. I'll send them there to assist Princess Cadance in the matter."

Luna nodded with satisfaction. "Just how large is a 'contingent', sister dear? There were over a dozen tsuki, entirely wiped out." She clucked her tongue reproachfully. "I trust you will send more than a pony or two."

"I will at that." Though she was already turning away. "Toby, inform King Sombra that he has Equestria's support. We will dispatch assistance along the railway, to convene with forces in the area around the Crystal Empire."

Luna looked to Toby. "Help is coming. It will be at the shiny place and work with the shiny ponies."

"Oh!" Toby bobbed his head quickly. "Okay. Have you ever met a shiny pony?" he asked in slow careful constructions. "They look hard, but are just as soft and friendly."

Luna smiled at that. "They are curious, are they not? But just as soft, and just as friendly. Tsuki, at first glance, also seem hard and worrying, but they are also soft, also friendly. There is something to be learned there, is there not?"

"Yes." He clapped his hands, though his smile was short lived. "The gi--griffons are not soft, and not friendly. Why?"

Luna inclined an ear. "Let us not judge the race entire for the work of outlaws. There have been ponies that have done terrible things. We will find these outlaws and punish them. Equestria is for friendly creatures."

"For friendly creatures," echoed Toby in full agreement. "Should I stay?"

Luna pursed her lips, looking thoughtful a moment. "Neigh... You should go home and tell Sombra what you have learned, that we are on the way."

Toby suddenly grabbed her, hand right on her horn in a naked ignorance of personal space and royal decorum. "Can you come with me? With Best Princess, we will be safe."

Luna started, but resisted yanking herself free of his grasp, watching his face so full of hope, adoration, and naive love. "Dear Toby... My duties do not allow me to go, but I am yet at your side." She gently pulled her horn down and back. "I will patrol the dreams of those in the realm. Perhaps, with some amount of luck, I will happen on those who work against your people."

"Find bad griffon." Toby nodded firmly. "Best Princess." He gave her a huge hug, arms wrapped around her neck. "Come visit. Come soon." And he was off, bounding for the nearest window in great leaps. Doors were for other creatures, as far as he cared, and he soon had it open enough to wriggle through and bound away on the way for home with important news.

"He still adores you."

Luna turned swiftly to see her sister smiling at her in that patronizing way. Luna snorted at the sight of it. "Do not be so smug! We are friends. It is not improper for friends to wish for the company of their allies."

"As you say. I must write a letter. Luna, since you have taken an interest, why do you not command the guards?"

Luna's eyes widened a moment, a giddy smile on her face. "You mean it? That is usually your task."

"You are a grown mare." Celestia advanced, touching nose to nose with her sister. "I trust you." With that, she turned and walked off, a scroll appearing with letters forming under her magic.

Luna clopped her fore hooves together before rising and clearing her throat. "Of course. I am perfectly capable of ordering a few guards around." She turned to one of the guards standing at the entrance to the throne room. "You. Where would a guard expect to receive an order?"

"Ma'am." He saluted briskly. "If I may advise?"

Luna inclined her head. "You may. Thank you for asking first."

"It would be better to approach the captain of the guard." He pointed a hoof. "She's doing drills in the back, ma'am. She will be able to choose which guards are proper for the assignment you have in mind and get them in motion."

"Fantastic." Luna began to trot. "I will do just that, excellent idea. Did you say she?" Last she had bothered to check, Shining Armor was captain of the guard, but that position must have moved on when he had done the same. "I look forward to meeting this mare."


Shining Armor adjusted his goggles. They were deep in the snow, the blinding wind howling against them. Only such protections allowed him to keep his eyes open. "Keep alert."

"We're ready for anything, sir," barked a crystal guard to his right. "They won't surprise us!"

"As much as that, keep an eye out for someplace to rest the night." In the snow-covered darkness, finding such places was more difficult than he would have liked. "No point rushing on them tired from the march. Going blind won't help our odds either. Got it?"

"Yes, sir!" He separated and began to spread word to the others, ponies and other creatures alike. It was too loud and muffled to shout commands to them all easily.

With a crunch of snow, a creature landed beside Shining. "Look for rest?" asked the tsuki doe, their fiercest if the reputation was to believed. Celene was step-hopping, matching his pace. "I find place." The ground crunched in protest as she propelled herself without a reply.

Shining shook his head as he advanced, knowing there was no chance of stopping her. Perhaps she'd find the right sort of place. "Whoever we're approaching, they can use magic. That can throw off basic strategies, so keep that in mind."

One mare smiled at Shining as she marched. "But we have you, sir. You can deflect their magic."

"I'll do my best," he assured. "But I am one pony, and who knows how many of them will be throwing magic. Don't assume I'm there. In fact, it may be better to assume I'm not. Duck for cover, use the strategies you've been trained with. Don't let them get you, and take down the spell casters first."

"Sir, yes, sir," echoed about a dozen ponies that had been close enough to hear it. They began to echo the commands, spreading it through the armed force.

Celene landed in front of Shining Armor, blocking his progress. When he stopped, the others stopped with him. She seemed satisfied with that. "Find cave."

"Good, where? Why aren't you leading us to it?" He looked around her, but beyond her was just blinding snow, not a hint of shelter.

"Not empty." She frowned softly. "Birdcats waiting. Hunting. They hunt us. Attack?"

It took Shining a moment to piece that together. "They're waiting in ambush... Good job, spotting them. Maybe we can turn this around." He turned towards the others. "Here's the plan."

Author's Note:

Is it time for a spot of good news on the Equestrian side? Nothing like a fight in the middle of a blizzard to get the blood pumping!

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!