• Published 9th Apr 2020
  • 1,169 Views, 71 Comments

Family Reunion - MisterEdd



Starlight Glimmer makes a shocking discovery about her family tree and meets a relative from the past

  • ...
1
 71
 1,169

Leaving Your Mark

Due to the unfortunate "Oven Incident," Clover was permanently barred from entering the kitchen and instead waited in the dining room while breakfast was being prepared. By now, all of the girls had arrived and each got a chance to greet and speak with the newcomer. As it just so happened, Clover's father was a stone mason and, due to the healthy respect he had for the working class, seemed to immediately hit it off with Applejack. Plus it helped that he liked apples. Celestia help the pony that admitted to disliking the fruit when an Apple was around.

"Mister Clover, ya ain't had an apple till ya tried a Sweet Apple Acres apple."

"By the way thou…you...describe ‘em, then I might have to sample one to sate mine curiosity."

Through conversation with the others, Clover's vernacular slowly included more modern phrasing, thus allowing him to better communicate his thoughts and feelings. Every now and then he slipped back into his Ye Olde Ponish dialect, but this was understandable and nopony faulted him for that.

"Is it true that you once took down a kraken all by yourself?" Rainbow Dash leaned forward excitedly. Twilight once went into a mini-lecture about Clover the Clever's contributions to Equestrian society on the train ride during their first visit to the Crystal Empire but the pegasus tuned much of it out, retaining only the information that she considered to be "awesome" or "cool."

"‘Tis true. I would be lying if I said that ‘twere an easy feat to accomplish."

"My, brave and humble," Rarity gushed. "Stallions in your time must be extraordinary."

"Nonsense, time and society have naught to do with one's worth. Tis experience and strength of will are what makes one extraordinary. Everypony 'i this room are proof of this."

Starlight was quick to steer the conversation back towards Clover's feat. "So a kraken, huh? How did you manage to defeat it?"

"You didn't hurt it too badly, did you?" Fluttershy wondered.

Clover smiled, "Fear not, gentle Fluttershy, krakens are known for their thick hides. After grappling with the beast, I applied a shrinking spell followed by a levitation charm, after which I hurled it into a net. The kraken was then relocated deep within what you now know as the South Luna ocean."

A mouth-watering aroma preceded Twilight as walked in with Spike on her back and a collection of steaming plates in her aura. She carefully laid the plates on the table and placed Spike in his chair before taking a seat herself. "Breakfast is ready!"

Clover poked at his food with a fork. "What is this?"

"Pancakes!" Pinkie cheered. She wrapped her tongue around the tower of pancakes and to Clover's disgust and astonishment, pulled the entire stack into her mouth and swallowed it whole.

"B-but how did-..."

"She's Pinkie Pie," everyone collectively stated and burst into laughter.

"Trust me, it'll be much easier if you just go with it," Starlight assured him.

Clover nodded and observed the others covering their pancakes with syrup and various fruit dressings before using their forks and knives to cut them up into small pieces. He choose a healthy dosage of syrup with cinnamon and strawberries before diving his pancakes into bite-sized chunks. From the way the mares and drake smiled and chewed with delight, he concluded that this must be a tasty delicacy and stabbed a chunk with his fork. Popping it into his mouth, he found it to be spongy but buttery, combined with sugary and sweet from the toppings. If only they had such a meal in his century!

"How are you liking your pancakes?"

Clover turned to Twilight. "Very scrumptious! My compliments to the chef!"

"Thanks dude," Spike grinned, which only widened at Clover's puzzlement. "It's a term of endearment."

"Ah, I see. Then you're welcome, my 'dude.'" Clover then noticed that somepony was missing at the table. "Where did Sunburst go?"

Twilight answered, "He was called away to the Crystal Empire by Princess Cadence to look after her daughter and my niece." This last part she said proudly while folding her forelegs.

"How many princesses are there?"

"Four: myself, Cadence, Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. Well, five, if you count my niece Flurry Heart."

Clover shook his head. "Five princesses. I would love to see Princesses Celestia and Luna and how they are faring, considering how they are still fillies 'i mine era."

"Awww, I bet they were cutie-patooties!" Pinkie chirped.

"I'm more interested in the fashion," Rarity admitted.

"You have to tell me about Star Swirl the Bearded. What was he like?" Twilight nearly shouted.

Starlight interjected, "Now, now ladies, let's not overwhelm Clover."

The stallion chuckled, "It is quite alright. It is only natural that they would hast questions for me given the situation."

"Tha's mighty fine of ya," Applejack nodded approvingly. "Ah have just one question."

"Ask away."

"Wha kinda farmin' techniques do they use fer apples?"

~*~

Breakfast came and went, with that time being spent asking a barrage of questions and patiently receiving detailed answers. Pinkie went to Sugarcube Corner with new ideas for decorations and party themes, shortly followed by Rainbow Dash, who had been regaled by Clover's tales of epic battles with dark sorcerers, pirates and vicious monsters. Fluttershy was happy just to listen, popping in every now and then with questions. Rarity was inspired to create a line of clothing that she dubbed, 'Past Nouveau' and lost herself in a creative daze. After Applejack left to tend to the fields, that left only Clover, Twilight, Spike and Starlight remaining.

"Ponies assume that Star Swirl lacks a sense of humor," Clover recalled fondly. "This is untrue. In fact, he once told me a joke involving a portly noble-stallion, a sharp-tongued peasant and the gates of Canterlot."

A loud belch and a burst of green flames interrupted Clover. Spike unrolled the scroll and glanced it over. "It's from Princess Celestia," he said, handing it over to Twilight.

Clover looked at Spike intriguingly. "Messages by dragon's fire? So very interesting."

"Let me see...oh! It says that she and Princess Luna will be visiting Ponyville tonight!"

"Whoa, we'd better get everything ready, huh Twi?" Spike then noticed Twilight's trembling lip.

"Everything has to be perfect!" Levitating a quill and notepad, Twilight began frantically scribbling and muttering to herself. "Have Pinkie put up decorations...sweep up the streets..."

Starlight put on a positive face. "Relax Twilight, everything will be fine."

"Starlight's right, There’s no cause for alarm. We shall help thou get the town prepared for the princesses long ere their arrival. Besides..." He pulled his cloak over his head and poised dramatically, his cloak flapping behind him. "Thou art not in this alone. Clover the Clever is at thy service!"

Twilight stopped scribbling, her expression hopeful. "You are?!"

"Of course I am. What, after all, are friends for."

"Count me in!" Starlight stood proudly beside Clover, the two turning and nodding in acknowledgement.

"Ditto!" Spike said, raising a fist.

~*~

By time the streets were swept and the decorations went up, Ponyville had never looked so pristine before, every doorknob, lamppost and sign sparkling clean. Not a single piece of trash nor a loose branch in sight, thanks to Clover enacting a spell that caused every paper-scrap, soda can, candy wrapper and bottle cap to direct themselves into the nearest trashcans or dumpsters. Starlight, meanwhile, created a parade of sentient brooms and dustpans that took care of any stray trash or dust bunnies. The scene was made even more comical when Clover enchanted up some floating instruments to play something head-bobbing for them to enjoy. The two laughed and danced down the street while the brooms rhythmically swept away the last of the litter.

This left the other townsfolk to help Pinkie with the decorations, Applejack with catering and Rarity with ensuring everypony looked their best. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash ensured that the animals were well-behaved and that the weather was warm and cloudless respectively, seeing as how Princess Luna would want everypony to admire the night sky she always worked so hard on. Thanks to everypony's teamwork, everything was set up and ready to go with almost four hours to spare. Afterwards, Clover and Starlight settled down on a hill in the park, admiring both the town and their combined efforts in making it look presentable. Starlight smiled at her relative.

"Thanks for helping me clean up town. It was a lot of fun!"

"It was my pleasure, Starlight." Although his smile was genuine, Clover stared off troublingly in the distance.

"Thinking about your family?"

"My daughter. It feels so strange to say that aloud. I'm overjoyed beyond words but also...afraid."

"Afraid of being a father?"

Clover nodded and briefly shut his eyes. "I've survived famine, war, tempests, the biting cold and windigos. I've conquered warlocks, the Hiercosphinx of Cartnak, and barrow-wights. None of these compare to fatherhood. I be a wizard and a warrior. I don't know anything about foals."

Starlight shifted closer to him and placed a hoof over his cannon. "I think you're going to be a wonderful father. You love your daughter and you want to do right by her. So far, I think you're on the right track."

Surprise gave way to grateful joy. "Thank you, Starlight."

"There's no need to thank me," she playfully dismissed and then added softly, "We're family."

Their bonding moment was interrupted by a series of screams followed by a crash. Wordlessly, the pair jerked their heads in a quick nod and galloped across the field, tracking the sound of the ruckus until they came across what looked to be a large wooden box laying smashed on its side. Six wheels spun on one side and one snapping off and rolling away. As they stepped forward to inspect the wreckage, a top on the side facing upward swung open and three fillies slowly emerged. Flinging a rope out the door, they slowly descended the box and landed in front of the confused unicorns.

"Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo? What are you doing?"

The three froze before Sweetie Belle piped up. "We were testing out the rolling fort we built."

"Yeah, and it was going super fast!" Scootaloo beamed but then frowned when another wheel came off.

"Didn't you already earn your cutie marks?"

They nodded. Apple Bloom gestured to the box. "We did but we figured that since there's nopony ta help with a cutie mark problem, we'd do somethin' fun in tha meantime."

"That was quite dangerous, fillies," Clover remarked. He then looked over the wreckage. "Not bad craftsmareship. Still dangerous though."

"I don't mean to be rude but who are you?"

Clover lowered himself so that he was at Scootaloo's eyelevel. "My name is Clover and I happen to Starlight's...distant relative."

"He's in town visiting," Starlight added. "These three are the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They banded together to earn their cutie marks and now they have them."

"Not just that, but we earned them at the same time!" Sweetie Belle cheered and the three fillies high-hoofed each other.

"The same time thou say?!" Magically reaching into his cloak's inner pocket, Clover retrieved an ash-wood wedge, which he flipped out to reveal a small magnifying glass. He scrutinized each of their cuties marks and then replaced his magnifying glass. "Fascinating! Three ponies not only earning their cutie marks at the same time yet they are also nearly identical in both shape and color."

"Is that...good?" Apple Bloom wondered.

"'Good'? Nay, that's brilliant! Completely unheard of! You three are extraordinary!"

"We are?!" The three shrieked in delight. "We're extraordinary! Yay!"

Starlight giggled. "Hey girls, why don't you tell Clover how you earned them?"

The adults took their seats as the CMCs recounted everything, from their first meeting and founding of their club to the business with Diamond Tiara and her mother. They chattered exuberantly on, sometimes switching who spoke, cutting in or overlapping the other in conversation. Regardless, Clover was quite amused by the display and awestruck by the time their tale ended. At the story's conclusion, the three fillies bowed and were rewarded by applause.

"Bravo!"

"Indeed! Now that is a tale worth telling!"

"No come on, stop it," Scootaloo bashfully murmured.

"What's yours?" Sweetie Belle pointed, noticing something glimmering half-covered by Clover's cloak.

Clover pulled his cloak to reveal a golden shooting star outlined in silver, three smaller stars trailing after the tail. A collective "Whoooooa" escaped the fillies' mouths, their eyes the size of dinner dishes. Starlight whistled approvingly, impressed by the cutie mark's shape and luminescence.

"How did yah get it, Mister Clover?"

Patting Apple Bloom's head, Clover snickered, "Excellent question! Would you like to hear the story?"

Three zipping sounds whooshed through the air as the trio rushed over and sat together in front of the stallion. Starlight merely hung back, equally intrigued and enamored at hearing such a tale.

"I grew up in a small town. My father was a stone mason, my mother a scullery maid-..."

"What's a scullery maid?" Scootloo asked.

"Erm, a cook's assistant," Clover answered. "The point is, I came from nothing yet I discovered that as a young colt, I was graced with great magical potential. I left mine home to find somepony to school me till I came across Sta-my teacher. He was a great sorcerer but there were many others that sought to fill the role as his apprentice. If I was going to earn that spot, I had to do something to prove that I deserved it, that I was better than the rest.

My chance came when he announced that all those that wished to learn from him each had to show him what they could do. Many of those that participated were delusional, tricking themselves into believing that they were good enough for a master as great as him. One colt shot off his horn and it accidently hit a passing shooting star, sending it plummeting towards town. The others fled, leaving only myself and the sorcerer. E'en with my teeth chattering and mine limbs shaking with fright, I chose to stand mine ground.

Channeling every last ounce of my magic, I grabbed the shooting star, turned it around and hurled it back to the void from whence it came. My task complete, I fell over and darkness took me. Whenin I awakened, I found mine parents and the sorcerer waiting for me. I discovered that not only didst I earn mine cutie mark yet that the great sorcerer chose me as his apprentice. And thus, little ones, is how the greatest adventure of mine life began."

The Cutie Mark Crusaders, whooped, stomped and applauded. Starlight herself couldn't help but join in, considering it one of the best cutie mark-earning stories she'd ever heard.

"Wait, how come yah changed how yah talked midway through tha story?"

"Yeah, Apple Bloom's right," Scootaloo agreed.

Sweetie Belle rubbed her chin. "Sounds kind of like Princess Luna when she returned from her banishment."

Grabbing ahold of Clover with her magic, Starlight yanked the stallion up and pulled him alongside her. "I'd love to stay and chat but we've got things to do. Yep, busy, busy! See you later!"

Once they were far enough away, Starlight returned Clover to terra firma. "Sorry about that."

"It's quite alright. I understand the need for covertness." As he straightened his cloak, he noticed the mare smiling mysteriously at him, as though she were enjoying a private joke.

"What's so funny?"

Starlight's lips pulled back to show her teeth. "For somepony that claims not to know anything about foals, you are really good at handling them. Maybe you'll be a great father after all."