• Published 5th Feb 2021
  • 1,305 Views, 28 Comments

Âme Câline - The Cloptimist



Starlight cuddles Trixie as the sun comes up. That's it. That's the whole story. (Well, mostly.)

  • ...
6
 28
 1,305

Epilogue: Trixie

Trixie half-opens her eyes, drowsy and confused. The room is dark. The shadows are all wrong, and it takes her a moment to realise she's not in her wagon, that she's looking at Starlight's bedroom ceiling. Their bedroom ceiling.

Trixie thinks about how she got here. About the series of unlikely events that led her to this bedroom, this bed; to this embrace. She cuddles herself closer to the gently snoring mare beside her, buries her face in her mane, thinks about everything they've been through together.

Trixie is still half-asleep, but the memories of a thousand cold, lonely, sleepless nights on the road in an empty bed are gathering around her, like so many uninvited ghosts.

There was a time, Trixie knows, when she would have spent the rest of the night thinking about how she got to here from there. Worrying that she wasn't good enough, and that this was surely the last night she'd ever spend cuddled up with this wonderful, infuriating pony. Worrying that tomorrow morning, Starlight would finally realise she could do so much better, finally put into words what Trixie knew she had been thinking after every malfunctioning spell, every crazy idea gone awry, every badly chosen word, every broken teacup.

That time is gone. It's gone, and it's never coming back.

Trixie smiles as she closes her eyes again, and those ghosts evaporate from around the bed. All of them. Every last one. Gone.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie," she murmurs to nopony in particular, "is happy."

Trixie drifts back to sleep.

Author's Note:

Why the title? It's an obscure but really rather lovely French pop song from the 60s, and it translates as something like Cuddly Soul or Soul Hugs. Although the URL can't handle the character â, so apparently this story should be retitled Me Cline.

I love these ponies.

Comments ( 20 )

Dawwwh. This was a wonderful look into Starlight's character and how the many events led up to the realization that Trixie and her are perfect for one another. This felt very wholesome, though I must not deny the Oc gardener felt a little out of place. However other than that I really enjoyed this, keep up the good work! *pet*

Trixie is proud of you

And that made the fic for me, right there.

Worrying that tomorrow morning, Starlight would finally realise she could do so much better, finally put into words what Trixie knew she had been thinking after every malfunctioning spell, every crazy idea gone awry, every badly chosen word, every broken teacup.

That time is gone, and it's never coming back.

I can't put it into words, but there's something about this epilogue that I just absolutely adore. It's the 250-word cherry atop the 6K sundae.

My compliments to the author! Very well-executed.
:)

10663948
Thank you! Yes, as you correctly spotted, that scene actually came from an abandoned attempt at a speedwrite quite a while ago - I junked the rest of that unfinished story because it wasn't going anywhere, but I kept that little scene because it might sort of fit somewhere one day. I always liked the idea of having a scene where Starlight was confronted, or at least worried about being confronted, by some of the family or friends of her village ponies; I thought it would be the kind of thing that would play on her mind during a sleepless night.

10664090
Me too. :trixieshiftright:

10664400
Thank you very much for saying so! I always wanted to keep a little scene back where the focus would shift to Trixie, and it seemed to work better as a separate "bonus" chapter (though I think the story works quite a lot better with it than without it.)

10664596
Aw, thank you! I'm glad you liked it :twilightsmile:

Nice. :)

This was a wonderful character piece. Your Starlight is probably the best interpretation of her I've seen on this site in a long, long time. I've had trouble before finding deep, meaningful StarTrix stories; I'm glad to have found this one. :twilightsmile:

10682112
Aw, thank you so much for saying so, it means a lot. :pinkiesmile:

What an absolutely gorgeous depiction of both these characters! Beautifully written, showing a lovely side of each character and a very sweet, cute and believable relationship! Might become one of my favourite StarTrix stories to date and I'll probably re read it in the future!

10697416
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it! :twilightsmile:

10697778
I seriously did! Can't wait for "Me Cline" 2 :trollestia:

And I am now completely sold on Glixie

10709776
10707081
10706944
Thank you all very much, and to everyone who said nice things over at Equestria Daily - I'm so happy people have been enjoying this story! :twilightsmile:

A review is coming…

It may be tomorrow or even today, next week, month possibly a year…

But a review is coming…

Congratulations! I wrote a review for your story. Come check it out here.

11243593
You're most welcome 🤗

I know you've already seen my review of this, but to keep things straight I'm commenting here as well. And liking. A fic that can make me like tiny coloured text is surely doing something right!

11513420
Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it!

Login or register to comment