• Published 22nd Aug 2012
  • 11,503 Views, 225 Comments

Geoverse Part Two: To Love Is Human - GeodesicDragon



With the help of his best friend, and a rather eccentric scientist, Geo begins planning his return to Equestria to be with Twilight Sparkle — who is making plans of her own...

  • ...
25
 225
 11,503

The Waiting Game - Part One (Edited)

"And THAT is how you play a first person shooter!" I shouted gleefully, as John and I jumped to our feet to perform a victory dance — although it ended up being more of a victory shuffle.

Ace chuckled. "Only because we're using a PS3, and I'm more of an Xbox man," he said. "But no matter, you finally beat me at something." He thought for a moment. "Mind you, that's one victory to seventy-three defeats, so you've got a long way to go."

I smiled and turned my head towards the stabiliser. The only noise I could hear was a gentle hum as the giant batteries charged. But as I looked at the display, my smile vanished. "Fucking hell," I said sharply. "It's only twenty percent charged!"

Ace sighed. "Well, it is a big machine," he said flatly. "So, naturally, it would need a lot of power. That, and I'm charging it using solar energy. Have you seen how much sun we've had recently?"

Now it was my turn to sigh. "What about the wind turbines?" I asked. "Because we're getting a shit ton of wind."

As if on cue, the wind blew into the room, ruffling papers and hair.

"Those turbines power the rest of my lab," Ace said, with a trace of hesitation. "As I said, the stabiliser uses a lot of energy, so I needed something else to provide power for it."

"And you chose solar panels?" John asked.

"Yes," Ace replied.

"In the UK?"

"Yes."

John looked at him with a raised eyebrow, the corners of his mouth slowly turning into a shit-eating grin.

"Oh, right," Ace said, realising what John was getting at. "I realise now that solar panels weren't exactly the best choice." John laughed, and Ace pointed at him. "But you try getting planning permission for a nuclear reactor, buddy! It's not easy!"

This only seemed to make John laugh harder.

"Well," I said glumly. "I can only hope that the weather cuts us some slack and gives us some sunlight." I chuckled. "How ironic is it that I hate sunlight, yet here I am wishing for it more than anything else in the world?" I thought for a moment. "After my beloved Twilight Sparkle, of course."

There was a pause before all three of us broke into hearty laughter. After a while, we managed to regain our composure, at which point I picked up the PS3 controllers.

"OK, boys," I said with a grin. "Who's ready to get schooled?"

***

Twilight, and Rainbow Dash were lying outside the tent gazing intently at Pinkie Pie, who had a look of pure concentration on her face. She looked around before pointing at something.

"Ooh, fire!" she exclaimed with a gasp.

Twilight nodded and smiled. "You win, Pinkie," she said.

Pinkie cheered. "I told you I was good at Eye Spy!" she said, a faint trace of smugness present in her voice.

"And we never doubted you for a moment," Twilight replied. "Isn't that right, Rainbow Dash?"

Dash nodded. "Not at all," she said. "Now, let's do something else!"

"What do you have in mind?" Twilight asked.

Before Rainbow Dash could answer, a brilliant flash of light lit up the area, causing the three mares to shield their eyes.

"Oh!" a voice said. "Sorry, girls, we thought you'd be inside."

Twilight, Pinkie and Dash uncovered their eyes to see that Celestia and Luna were standing in the middle of the clearing. "Celestia, Luna!" she gasped, as Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash stood up and bowed. "What are you doing here?"

"Your letter said to come for a visit, Twilight Sparkle," Celestia replied with a smile. "So, here we are."

"Indeed," Luna said. "Greetings, friends."

"Hi, Princesses!" Pinkie said. "We were just playing 'Eye Spy!' Wanna join us? I gotta warn you, though, I'm really good!"

"Perhaps later, Pinkie Pie," Luna replied. "In fact, we are here to speak with Twilight... in private, if at all possible."

"Sure thing, Princess." Dash grabbed Pinkie's tail. "Come on, Pinks, I think we should, er, get something to eat."

"Okie-dokie-lokie!" Pinkie waved. "Bye, Twilight! Bye, Princesses!"

Celestia giggled. "Goodbye, Pinkie," she said. "Please, Twilight, could we possibly have this conversation in the tent?"

Twilight opened the flap and all three of them trotted inside and sat down. The Princesses looked around at the surprisingly spacious interior, their eyes wide with wonder.

"So, what do you want to talk to me about?" Twilight asked.

"Well, for starters..." Luna began. "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing well," Twilight replied. "My friends are supporting me, and I live each day knowing that Geo will be coming back to me soon. And when he does, Pinkie has said she is going to throw him a 'super-duper, ultra-huge mega-party.'"

Both princesses smiled.

"I'm sure he'll appreciate that," Celestia said.

A period of silence ensued, during which Luna's attention was drawn to the pile of tally-marked paper on the floor.

"Has it really been three weeks since you came here?" she asked.

Twilight nodded. "And I'll wait even longer if I have to," she said, the determination in her voice all too obvious.

"That is why we're here, Twilight." Celestia sighed. "Luna and I both believe that it would be in your best interests if you went home."

Twilight gasped. "No, I... I can't!" she said, unable to comprehend what she had just heard. "I need to be here for him!"

Celestia laid a comforting hoof on Twilight's shoulder. "I know you do, my dear student," she said softly. "But how can you be certain that he will re-enter Equestria at this spot?"

"I know he'll reappear here," Twilight sniffled. "I can feel it!"

"Your feelings can often betray you, Twilight," Luna said. "And believe me, I know what that's like."

The two princesses exchanged an awkward glance.

"Why are you saying all of this?" Twilight asked, her anger rising.

"We just want to make sure you understand everything," Celestia replied. "What if something happened to him in his own world?"

Twilight's mouth hung open, but no sound came out.

"We're sorry to have to be so blunt, Twilight," Luna said softly. "But you have to be ready for any eventuality."

Celestia nodded. "My sister is right, Twilight," she said quietly. "And, as much as it pains me to say this... what will you do if Geo doesn't come back to Equestria at all?"

Twilight's eyes filled with tears. "I... I never thought of it like that." she said. "I just assumed that because he loved me, he'd come back to me. I never realised that something could have happened to him. Maybe he doesn't even remember me."

Suddenly, Pinkie and Dash entered the tent, the former pulling Twilight in for a hug. "Don't say that, Twilight!" she said. "Geo does remember you, and he is coming back! You'll see!"

"That's the thing, Pinkie Pie," Celestia said. "She's been waiting long enough. And what if she's right? What if he doesn't remember his time here? What if he thought it was all a dream?"

Twilight burst out crying and fell to the floor in the foetal position.

"We're so sorry for hurting your feelings like this, my dear friend," Luna said. "But we felt you needed to face up to the worst."

"I understand, Princesses." Twilight stood up and wiped the tears from her eyes. "I will return to my duties in Ponyville." She sighed. "I won't forget Geo, but I have to accept that he's probably forgotten all about me." She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Pinkie Pie? Rainbow Dash?"

Both mares looked at her.

"Let's go home."