• Published 22nd Aug 2012
  • 11,492 Views, 225 Comments

Geoverse Part Two: To Love Is Human - GeodesicDragon



With the help of his best friend, and a rather eccentric scientist, Geo begins planning his return to Equestria to be with Twilight Sparkle — who is making plans of her own...

  • ...
25
 225
 11,492

Hope Is Extinguished (Edited - NEW ENDING)

As I stood at the pedestrian crossing, the events of that particular night began flashing before my eyes.

Crossing the road.

Almost getting run over.

Yelling at the driver.

The car turning around and coming back.

The driver getting out and punching me.

The beating.

The gun...

I closed my eyes, trying to block out the memories as John put a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm here, mate," he said reassuringly. "Let's look for clues."

I nodded and we both began scouring the area, looking for anything that could help me in my mission to return to Equestria.

***

"Oh come on, where is it?" Spike groaned as he looked through a mountain of books and scrolls. His eyes were bloodshot, showing signs that he had not slept for a while, but they also burned with the determination to help his friend. "Darn. It's not here either!" He yelled, slamming the book he was reading. A dull thud echoed through the area. Putting the book in a pile with the others he'd been looking through, Spike buried his head in his hands.

"Spike?" the voice calling his name was full of warm concern.

The young dragon looked up to see both Celestia and Luna in front of him. He leapt off his chair and bowed deeply. "Princesses!" he said quickly. "What brings you here?"

"One of the guards told us he had let you in here, but he hadn't seen you come out," Celestia replied. "We were worried, so we thought we'd come and check up on you."

Spike smiled. "I'm fine," he said reassuringly. "I'm just trying to find something for Twilight."

Luna lowered her head and looked at the ground. "How is Twilight?" she asked softly.

There was a pause as Spike tried to find the right words. Eventually, he sighed. "She's not good," he said glumly. "She sent me up here to find a scroll which details how to talk to the dead." He let out a deep sigh. "But I can't find it anywhere. I'm beginning to think it doesn't even exist."

Luna nodded and trotted over to the shelves. Her horn lit up, and a scroll floated down into Spike's hands. He read it carefully, his face lighting up as he did so.

"But how did you...?" he spluttered.

A small smile appeared on Luna's face. "It was under 'S,' for 'Spirits.'" She chuckled.

Spike slapped his forehead, dragging his hand down his face and muttering to himself as he put the scroll in his bag.

"Thank you, Princesses," he said, offering another bow.

"It was our pleasure, Spike," Celestia replied. "If this is what Twilight needs in order to get closure and move on, then who are we to get in the way of that?" Spike nodded and prepared to leave before she put a hoof on his shoulder. "Give Twilight our regards, Spike, and tell her that we will come to see her soon."

"I will, Princess," he replied as he left, both Princesses watching him leave. Once he was out of sight, Luna looked at her sister.

"Do you think the spell will work, Tia?" she asked. "Or will poor Twilight's heart be broken yet again?"

"I don't know, Lulu," Celestia replied. "But all we have is hope." She sighed and looked to the ceiling. "If you're out there, Geo, then please come back — because Twilight needs you."

***

"Dammit, there's nothing here!" I shouted.

"I couldn't find anything either." John shook his head. "I'm sorry, mate — but perhaps there's something else we can do?"

I sighed. "It's not your fault, John," I replied. "And I guess the only way to get back is to nearly die again — but fuck that for a game of marbles." I laughed weakly.

"Let's go back to my place." John laid a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "We can get drunk and you can tell me all about Equestria, because it sounds like a great place."

I smiled and nodded, and the two of us started walking. "I guess I'll concentrate on getting another job then," I grumbled. "I quit my job at the warehouse because one, it was boring as fuck and two, it brought back memories of that night..."

John smiled sympathetically before something caught his eye. He walked over to a telegraph pole, stapled to which was an advert.

I am a local scientist looking to hire people to assist me with manual labour in my laboratory. If you think you can handle working in a fast-paced, often chaotic environment, then you might just be the person I am looking for. Please contact Dr. Ace Sorou on the number below.

"There you go, Geo," John said, giving me a nudge. "Since you've done warehouse work, this should be right up your street."

I read the notice and nodded. "A job's a job." I shrugged, making a note of the contact details. "You want to get in on this?" I asked. "After all, your job at the courthouse was only temporary."

John hesitated for a moment before he nodded. "Yeah, why not?" he said. "We'll call Doctor Sorou when we get back to my place."

As we walked up the street, I had a smile on my face — but on the inside, I was tearing myself apart with grief, thinking that I would never see Equestria – or Twilight Sparkle – ever again.

***

As Spike burst into the library triumphantly, holding the scroll above his head like a sword, his heart was warmed by the sight which greeted him — Twilight and her friends, still locked in their group hug, all fast asleep on the floor of the library.

Spike smiled and gently closed the door before crossing the library to join them — only to step on a squeaky floorboard. He froze in place as he saw Twilight's eyes flutter open.

"Spike?" she asked wearily. "Is that you?"

Spike chuckled nervously. "Uh, yeah," he said sheepishly. "It's me. I got that scroll you wanted, and Princess Celestia says to tell you she and Luna will try and visit at some point."

"That's nice," Twilight replied, still half-asleep. She closed her eyes and settled down again. Suddenly, her eyes shot open and she sat bolt upright. "YOU HAVE THE SCROLL?!" She shouted. The sudden outburst forced the other five mares wide awake.

"What the hay?" Applejack groaned. "What's goin' on? What time is it?" she looked around and saw Spike.

"Spike has that scroll I wanted!" Twilight squealed with delight. "I can finally talk to my lost love!"

"What, now?" Spike stifled a yawn. "Can't it wait until tomorrow, Twilight? I'm really tired."

Twilight opened her mouth to speak, but she closed it upon seeing Spike's bloodshot eyes and a pleading look on his face.

"Okay, Spike," she relented, lying back down. "We'll do it tomorrow. Leave the scroll on the table and get some sleep."

Spike did as he was asked and climbed upstairs to bed.

***

As soon as the sun hit her face the next morning, Twilight leapt off the couch excitedly — waking up the others in the process. As they stretched, and in Dash's case groaned a lot, she levitated the scroll over to her and read it quietly to herself.

"It seems simple enough," she said as she looked up from the scroll. "You can probably imagine how keen I am to try it."

Her friends nodded.

"So let's do it already!" Rainbow Dash shouted, clopping her forehooves together fiercely. "Just tell us what to do, Twi."

Twilight smiled and looked at the scroll again. "According to this, we need to stand in a circle." As she spoke, she glanced around the untidy library and winced. "And we will, once I've tidied up."

Twilight's horn glowed as she cast a spell, a flash of light enveloping the library and causing the others to shield their eyes. Opening them, they gasped upon seeing that the library was back to its usual level of tidiness. Twilight admired her work with a smile.

"Just a little spell I found," she said nonchalantly, laughing at her friends open-mouthed stares. "Now, everypony form a circle!" The six mares stood around the table in the middle of the room, linking hooves on Twilight's instruction. "OK." Twilight checked the scroll again. "Here goes nothing." Her horn illuminated once more, covering the room with a dull purple cloud. "Spirits of Equestria, I beseech you," Twilight said. "I seek the spirit of the human named Geo, my lost love. Please bring him before me, so that I might communicate with him."

Twilight opened one eye and looked around expectantly.

"Twilight, are you sure this is gonna work?" Applejack whispered.

"It has to," Twilight whispered back. "Otherwise I'm out of ideas." She raised her voice. "Please, spirits of Equestria, I must talk with my love. I need to hear his voice once more." Twilight's eyes filled with tears. "I need closure. Only then can I attempt to move on." Silence greeted her. "I beg you, Geo, please speak to me!" Twilight yelled. "I need this. I need... you."

Suddenly, the cloud floating around the room descended to eye level, taking on the form of a human as it did so. But, to Twilight's dismay, it was not the human she was expecting to speak to.

"You're not Geo," she said mournfully. "Where is he?"

"It is true that I am not the one you seek," the spirit replied, offering a small bow. "My name is Anthony — although a thousand years ago, I was also the last remaining human in Equestria."

Twilight's eyes widened. "You're Anthony?" she asked, to which he nodded. "Princess Celestia has told us a lot about you." She returned his bow. "It's a pleasure to meet you... although I can't help but wish that it was under better circumstances than this." She sighed. "Anyway, what can you tell us?"

Anthony rubbed the back of his head nervously. "I can tell you that no new human spirits have arrived in the afterlife of late," he said hesitantly. "It pains me to say this, Twilight, but... your lover is not with us." He paused. "In fact, I can safely say that no trace of him exists in Equestria at all."

"What?" six voices spoke in unison.

"How?" Twilight asked. "How is that even possible?"

Anthony opened his mouth to speak, only to grunt as he was forcibly pushed aside to reveal a second spirit.

"Ooh, let me answer this one!" the newcomer said gleefully, as he looked at the six mares. "Hello, girls, it's nice to see you again."

Twilight narrowed her eyes and snorted.

"Discord..."

Author's Note:

Oh, look, Luna and Anthony are here now.

'bout damn time, eh? :rainbowlaugh: