• Published 22nd Aug 2012
  • 11,503 Views, 225 Comments

Geoverse Part Two: To Love Is Human - GeodesicDragon



With the help of his best friend, and a rather eccentric scientist, Geo begins planning his return to Equestria to be with Twilight Sparkle — who is making plans of her own...

  • ...
25
 225
 11,503

Where I Belong - Part One (Edited)

I tapped my foot impatiently as Ace stood at the control panel, pressing buttons while occasionally looking at his notes. John stood next to me, twiddling his thumbs and whistling tunelessly.

"You were right about that necklace of yours, Geo," Ace said. "It does indeed contain traces of energy not native to this planet. So, by doing some scientific things that I won't bore you with, I was able to correlate these readings with the few notes I had on that renegade portal which opened the night you were shot."

"I thought you said you didn't have any notes?" I asked.

Ace raised an eyebrow. "I'm sorry, but you seem to be mistaking me for someone who actually files his paperwork," he replied. "It took a while, but I did find some notes I made."

I rolled my eyes and tutted while Ace turned his attention back to the machine. He pressed a few more buttons and flipped some switches before stepping back and laughing triumphantly.

"It's done!" he said. "The co-ordinates are in, and we're ready to go. But before we do, let me just say that it's been an absolute pleasure working with the two of you." He held out a hand and we both shook it. "Okay." He took a deep breath. "Here goes nothing."

He hesitantly reached out and pulled a lever on the side of the control panel. Almost immediately, the room was plunged into darkness as a deep rumbling shook the ground beneath our feet.

I looked around, panicking. "No, no!" I yelled. "Don't do this now!"

"It has to," Ace replied calmly. "It won't start up otherwise."

"But the powers gone out!" I snapped.

"Relax, would you?" Ace was still calm. "The machine is drawing power from the batteries, so it's knocked everything else offline."

I grunted. "All right," I said. "Sorry, it's just that I'm a bit paranoid about everything going wrong after we all worked so hard."

The rumbling stopped and was replaced by a humming noise. It started off quiet, like a bee, but soon escalated to the point where it seemed as though there was a Formula One car in the room.

The lights came back on and Ace pointed at the stabiliser.

"This is it!" he yelled excitedly. "Come on, baby!"

The humming soon gave way to a loud bang as the portal opened.

And then, there was silence.

***

Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were sitting in Sugarcube Corner, each of them enjoying one of the many treats on offer. They ate in contented silence, which was ultimately broken by Applejack coughing.

"Is it mah imagination, or is Twilight actin' weird?" she asked.

"Now that you mention it, there is something a bit off about her," Rarity replied. "But I can't put my hoof on what."

Rainbow Dash scratched her chin. "Yeah, she's acting really calm over this whole Geo thing," she said. "To be honest, girls, I was kinda expecting her to have made a model of him by now."

"You all have to remember that Twilight has ever been in this situation before," Fluttershy said. "After all, Geo was the first special somepony she's had."

The others nodded.

"I know, but the way she's been actin' lately just ain't healthy," Applejack said, the concern in her voice obvious. "As her friends, we need to do somethin' to help her get outta this rut she's in."

"Silly AJ!" said Pinkie Pie. "We're throwing her a party to help her remember Geo. Why would we want her to forget him?"

"I didn't mean it that way, Pinkie Pie, and fine you know it!" Applejack snapped. "Of course she can remember him; she needs to get over the fact he ain't comin' back. Bottlin' up them feelings o' hers ain't gonna do her any good."

"But, AJ, she told us earlier that she's all right," Rainbow Dash replied. "Why can't we just leave it at that?"

"I'm the Element of Honesty, Dash." Applejack sighed. "I know when somepony is lyin' — and that mare is lyin' through her teeth."

"So let's just tell her that, and get her to open up," Dash suggested. "Only then can we actually do something to help her."

"But it's just not that easy," Fluttershy interjected. "Everypony needs time to unbottle their own feelings; you can't force somepony to talk if they don't want to."

Rainbow Dash sighed and laid her head on the table. "Well, I'm out of ideas then," she grumbled.

"Come on, y'all," Applejack said. "The five of us know Twilight better'n anypony. If anypony can help her, it's us."

The others nodded and put their hooves on their chins.

Soon, they were all deep in thought.

***

"It's... it's beautiful!" Ace yelled. "And it's stable! AND it's here, in front of me, not in some random place across town!"

I smiled. "Well, what are we waiting for?" I asked. "Let's check it out." I gestured at the portal. "You first, Doc."

Ace wiped a small tear from his cheek and whistled. "Tiny!" he called. "Here, boy!" The robot trundled over and beeped affectionately. "Go through the portal and see if it's safe." He said, patting the robot on the head. "That's a good boy." Tiny beeped affirmatively and slowly trundled through the portal. A few moments passed by before he reappeared. "Well?"

Tiny's chest cavity opened up to reveal a monitor, which was showing pictures he'd taken during his time in the other universe.

"Geo." Ace pulled me over to him. "Take a look at the pictures and tell me if anything you see looks familiar to you."

I looked at the pictures... and I saw trees.

Lots of trees.

I kept shaking my head at each tree picture until, eventually, I saw the outline of a building shaped like a cupcake.

I gasped. "It's Ponyville," I muttered. "That's the town I was in!"

Ace laughed. "Looks like Lady Luck was on our side after all, albeit with a little help from good old fashioned science," he said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a new world to discover!"

He walked up to the portal and jumped inside while I approached it with John, who looked nervous.

"Don't worry, mate," I said to him reassuringly. "Stick with me, and you'll be fine. Twilight in particular will be happy to meet you."

John smiled, and we stepped through the portal together.

***

Twilight walked into Sugarcube Corner, her stomach grumbling loudly, and walked up to the counter. "Hi there, Mrs Cake," she said, trying to sound happy. "A stack of pancakes, please."

"Of course, dearie," Mrs Cake replied. "Your friends are over there, in the corner. Go see them, and I'll bring your order over."

Twilight turned around to see her friends. They hadn't noticed her presence, and appeared to be thinking.

"Thank you, Mrs Cake." Twilight approached the table. She stood and watched her friends for a moment before coughing, which caused them to sit upright with a startled gasp and Twilight to giggle. "Sorry, girls, didn't mean to startle you."

"No worries, Twi," Applejack replied. "What brings ya here?" Twilight's stomach grumbled, and Applejack chuckled. "I guess that answers mah question." She moved over and created a space in the booth. "Come on, sugarcube. Sit with us."

Twilight sat down with her friends, just as Mrs Cake placed a plate of pancakes on the table. "Dig in, Twilight," she said in a motherly tone. "You look like you need these."

Twilight smiled and began eating. As she did so, she noticed her friends looking at her concernedly. "What is it?" she asked. "Is there syrup on my face again?" The other five shook their heads, at which Twilight sighed. "I've already told you that I'm fine." She said wearily. "You don't need to keep checking up on me."

Rarity opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by a flash of blue and white light. In an instant, Celestia and Luna both stood in the middle of the room. The customers in the room gasped and bowed at the sudden appearance of their Princesses.

"We're glad we caught you, girls, and we're glad you're all together," Celestia said gravely. "We have a problem."

"What is it, Princesses?" asked Twilight. She spoke calmly, but her mind was full of the many things she wanted to say to them.

What gave you the right to tell me those things? I thought you were supposed to be my friends, not two ponies who would so willingly crush my dreams as if they were nothing?

"We detected a strange surge of energy coming from near Ponyville," Luna said quietly, aware they were in public. "We don't know what it was, but we've never felt anything like it before."

"What are you trying to say, Princess Luna?" Rarity asked.

Celestia paused for a moment before sighing. "The last time we felt energy like this..." She took a deep breath. "Discord was released."