• Published 29th Mar 2020
  • 1,314 Views, 50 Comments

The Life and Trials of Autumn Moon - TraumaLane



Things used to be so simple for Autumn before she shifted. Will Autumn ever have a happy ending despite being something ponies fear going bump in the night?

  • ...
1
 50
 1,314

The Mare in the Mirror

Chapter 11: Shattered Reflection -First Quarter

Shadow stood up quickly to follow his distressed daughter lifting his hoof out as if he wanted to stop his filly from running away, from feeling the way she was. His muzzle fell to face the floor his body sagging with dejection; the silver stallion could not help but flinch as he heard Autumn slam her bedroom door shut before the soft tumble of locks met his sharp ears. His ears fell flat against his skull as he sighed looking defeated but somehow accepting of the outcome. He drew what little comfort he could from the fact that his wife sat beside him.



“I hate that I had to make her feel this way, and we still haven’t told her that we are leaving,” he said his voice sounding exhausted as if he had finished climbing a mountain. Shadow looked at his wife his eyebrows rising in surprise as his wife placed a hoof on his looking at him sympathetically.



“I know it was hard hon’,” Sugar said her voice steady as she glanced at the stairs leading to their confused and hurting daughter. She knew that their daughter was upset but was grateful that Autumn had not shifted or lashed out at her father after hearing his explanation.



“Our lil’ one needed ta know h wha she is… an’ why these thin’ are happenin to ‘er. Only thin’ we can do now is keep ‘er safe from those who wan’ ta do ya’ll harm,” her voice serious as she thought of the Hunters that were possibly very much alive and wanting to harm her loved ones.



Sugars hoof left her husband’s as an ache began to form in her chest, the mare struggled not to panic as her traitorous mind creating gruesome morbid pictures playing out before her. Shadow’s body torn to shreds, massive lacerations pooling blood beneath his body as cruel stallions stabbed sharp merciless objects into his shuttering, suffering body. The soft pink tissue sewing the layers of his skin to his muscle peeled away like the skin of an orange as they cut away his pelt his rumbling voice screaming.



Sugar felt tears begin to form in her eyes as the morbid train of thought continued its rampage through her mind. Her mind played a terrible play of their daughter being skinned alive as stallions surrounded her… laughing as they tortured her in front of her own family. Autumn screaming as the sick sound of blades squelching as they pierced her ribs sinking deeply as she screamed in agony. The thought of a hunter looking at her as tears streamed down her face smiling cruelly as he twisted the knife relishing in the pain of the filly. Sugar nearly vomited as the fear and disgust wrenched her stomach into a knot.



No, not a snowballs chance in Tartarus,” thought Sugar as she could not help but begin to shake her head snorting as she fought of the visions that tormented her. Instead she began to think of what was real… what was here… what mattered instead of the nightmares that thrived in the dark crevices of her mind wanted to conjure in its stress. She felt Shadow shift as he looked toward her, she could feel his concern without even looking at him and that combined with the scents and sounds of the home they had built grounded her, calming her mind and body.



Sugar Beets emerald eyes seemed to glow like her husbands and daughters when they were in a dark room. As she turned to look at Shadow she smiled reassuringly to let him know that she was ok despite the fear that shot through her at the dark thoughts that were loosing their strength in the warmth of that her family brought her. She placed her hoof on her heart and feeling the steady beat she took it and placed it on the silver stallions unshorn tan hoof as her smile grew.



We’ll make it through this, we’ll go somewhere th’ varmints’ can’ find us an’ then we’ll take th’ time ta celebrate Autumn’s mark. An when it’s safe maybe we can com’ back, or we can grow a new one where the two sisters will to be,” the thought of that sapped the last of the strength from the beast that was the distressing thoughts that ran through her brain. As another thought came across her mind, she decided to voice it to her mate as he patiently waited for her to voice the thought turning her gears.



“Ya know, we may have ta leave but as long as we got eachother I’m happy... An who knows maybe in the future she won’ have ta hide. She can be who she is wit out ponies looking at ‘er and seeing anythin’ more than her,” the elderberry mare said her voice hopeful and listing as if talking about a beautiful dream however unlikely it seemed.



Shadow looked at his mate and nuzzled her his face appreciative of the happiness that thought brought his mate and himself in that small precious moment, the soft feel of her wine colored coat… the sweet smell of wildflowers covered the smell of fear as it faded away. The sensation of him brushing his neck, flat nose and cheek against hers made his heart swell and his body seemed to lift slightly. Even though he knew that dream would most likely never come true he couldn’t help but feel hope that maybe… just maybe it could happen for his little one. “Heh… Maybe,” he said as he turned his amber eyes back to the second floor of the farmhouse.



Sugar Beet’s emerald eyes followed her husbands amber eyes, and she looked back at him her smile becoming a straight line as she thought about what they still had to tell Autumn “I know he’s itching like a dog in a flea convention ta go try ta make er feel better but I think our lil one probably needs some space. Not ta mention we still gotta tell er we’re gonna be movin,” the farm mare looked at the stairs and sighed at what felt like a weight that she still had to place on her daughter’s shoulders.



“I know ya wanna go up their love, but I don’ think Autumn will be wantin’ ta see us righ’ now. Let’s give ‘er a lil’ time to simmer down… an we’ll be right here if she needs us,” Sugar watched as her husbands face seemed to lift a small grin turning up the corner of his mouth exposing the ivory tips of the fangs she loved underneath. Shadow nodded his head and the farm mare was relieved as he seemed to agree turning his body to walk towards their living room.



Before he could take another step, Shadow’s eyes widened, before narrowing in suspicion. Sugar watched in concern as her husband’s body became tense, his thickly furred ears flickered to face the front door of his home as if to zone in on a sound she couldn’t hear. Sugars emerald eyes mimicked his suspicion and she lowered her body as she approached Shadows side her side brushing against his.


“What do ya hear, Sugar,” she whispered as if there were another pony just on the other side of their door her voice strained as the atmosphere of the house became more tense. She watched as Shadow opened his mouth to respond in a hushed voice his fangs flashing in the moonlight, steady and aggressive as if he was sending a threat to the possible intruders.


“Hooves, running down the road… it could be nothing but. I want to be sure; they’re far off and they may just be passing through,” Shadow looked at her his amber eyes glowing as he looked at her his head turning slightly. His rumbling voice and posture seeming to try and encourage her not to panic just yet. Shadow’s head whipped around towards the front door of their home as his hooves clopped against the wooden floor seeming to sound louder with every step almost as if he were stomping.


Sugar watched as the muscles of her mates’ large silver body seemed to writhe as he walked fur standing on end as it prepared for what was coming next. Her hooves clopped against their floor as she followed behind him out their front door, her emerald eyes roamed Shadows body watching as he began to walk as his body broke and reformed before her eyes. His silver fur grew thicker, his shorter onyx mane stood up like a short mohawk as they stepped out into the cold chill of the night, a wind howled across their farm.


“I wish ya didn’t have to, hon’ an I know tha’ ya are doin’ it ya protect us but I wish I could do more ta help ya,” Sugar’s voice growing sad as she looked to the ground. She looked up guiltily as if she had done something wrong but as Shadow turned to look at her she saw that he shook his head as if what she said did not make sense.


You already are love… your protecting our home and daughter,” Shadow’s shoulders shook as he chuckled his smile taking on an almost mischievous look, his flat nose scrunching up as his face finished shifting one ear up and the other flat as he winked at the mare of his heart. “Besides, any poor creature that would go against you has my sympathy,” he said chuckling as a pained smile broke out on his face. Sugar returned his smile with a small one before he grunted in pain... her smile fell as his voice grew deeper...he coughed up blood and saliva onto the floor as his fangs grew larger more growing as his lips ripped to form a wider more canine like mouth. His eyes snapped open pupils shaking; his red irises shrank, his pupils turning into pinpoints, he couldn’t help the growling groan that escaped his mouth.


Shutting his eyes Shadow grounded himself thinking of his family, creating his anchor as his body broke and healed simultaneously… suddenly he felt a wonderful familiar feeling. Luxurious warm fur brushing against his sides, loving soft hooves dragging across his neck rubbing up and down his mane. A blush bloomed on the silver werepony’s muzzle dying the fur on his cheeks and the ridge of his nose a light pink. He slowly turned his head his eyes widened as she saw warm golden olive oil curls and the small lovely body of his wife embracing him as he continued to shift.


“I love ya ta the moon an’ back, ya crazy stallion… ya always know what ta say…” Sugar’s voice shaking as she embraced her mate. “Please promise me you’ll be safe; come back ta us… ok?” she pleaded with him as she flinched involuntarily; her ears twitching at the sounds of Shadow Snare’s bones breaking and flesh tearing as she held him gently. Her emerald eyes shining with tears as she pressed her nose to her husband’s neck.


The subtle hiss that followed as the wheat the grew seemed to shiver at the cold the wind blew across them, did little to detract from the sound of Shadows hooves shattering, the flesh squelching as it moved and the sound of crepitus rolled through the night. Shadow sat on his haunches as he felt his hips and legs reshape themselves but all that pain was muted as his thoughts centered around the mare under his chin and the beautiful daughter that they had together a loving moan escaped his throat.


As his body finally finished shifting, Shadow wrapped his paws around his wife and looked lovingly into her beautiful emerald eyes. Leaning down kissed her smaller muzzle deeply, feeling his onyx tail wag lazily as he felt Sugar return the movements of his lips. As he pulled away his face lit up, filled with determination and he nodded at his wife before he rose to his paws and cloven hooves. He took a look at the dark window on the second floor... the room that held his daughter. A serious look over took his face his ears twitched as Sugar lifted her hoof to his cheek to draw his eyes back to hers.


“Don’ worry love, Ah’m worried about ‘er too but,” she stoped looking back toward her daughters window before turning her attention back to her husband. “She’s a lot like ya, strong, stubborn, an’ if Ah know ‘er she’ll be able to git through this... she won’ let this beat ‘er. Ya were alone when ya first shifted an had to learn on yer own. But our lil’ one she’s got a great dad and mom ta help ‘er... fer now she’s safe an’ I’ll be a diamond dog in a spa before I let that change tonight, you go see what’s on the way and we’ll be righ’ here waitin’,” Her voice calm and steady love in the promise of her words.



Shadow looked at his wife appreciation shining across his features, he placed his massive paw over her hoof and squeezed before he turned running into the forest lining that surrounded the path to their home.



The air shifted between Sugar and Shadow as he sped off into the night, the wind he created blew Sugars golden mane as she rose her hoof to steady the strands that flew into her eyes. Sugar Beet dropped her hoof as the air settled and sat on her haunches watching as the dust settled and her husbands form melted into the shadows. Sugar sat guarding their home and their daughter.


Autumn lay curled up in a ball, her ears ringing blocking out all the other sounds from around her. The noise seemed to reflect the screeching of her mind coming to a halt as she worked to process everything. Her tear-soaked face was half covered by her semi wild tail, her eyes were tightly shut as if trying not to open and face the confusing and terrifying world her father’s story had put her in. Part of her flat nose poked past the soft downy fur of her silver tail; her breathing was shaking slightly as she absorbed the information her family had told her.



Shrunken amber pupils flowed in the dark room as memories flashed through her mind, her eyes glided shut as they played out in segments sewing together to form a full film in her mind.



The smell of the forest, the savory tang of the iron in Tales blood flooding the air as she carried him on her back. She flinched as the memory of the soul crushing pain that came after the timberwolves trapped them ran rampant through her body. Autumn shuttered at the memory of her spine shattering like tempered glass and fusing together with her broken pelvis. Her ribs shattering before the costal cartilage reformed to fit her larger lungs and pounding heart… it was a sick rush as adrenaline pulsed through her body flooding her tissue with necessary strength.



She lost a lot of memories past that she could only remember flashes of her killing the Timberwolves. The only thought she could remember being on her mind was to destroy the threat to her and what she considered a member of her pack.



A flash...Red clouding her into her vision… the sound of Tales shield shattering magic tinkling like crystal as it hit the ground of the pit. Claws… a scream… her scream morphing into a deep rumbling growl. Ivory claws flashing in the moonlight as she flexed the new digits that took place of her forehooves. She remembered leaning on her front paws guarding a unicorn under her chest. Her bucking the hooves on her back legs kicking out as the sound of wood breaking met her ears. Orange blood glowing as it splattered over the ground covering her rough paw pads in thick sap like plasma.



As each memory played out her breathing hastened, a sharp pain hit her jaw. “Ah...ow!” she shouted as she sat up placing a hoof on her jaw rubbing around the area where the sharp pain had originated. Her face becoming distressed as she felt her fangs growing larger underneath her lips; as swallowed her brain registered the taste of iron.



Her nose sore as her face became a pained grimaced an involuntary whine escaping her lips, as the pain raged on her face morphed into a frustrated scowl. She felt as if her coat was on fire as her fur grew thicker, her mane sticking out wildly as it grew longer. The silver hair began to blend into the olive oil fur on her neck, sweat began to soak her coat. The fur on her hackles rose as her heart began to pound against the walls of her chest fighting her lungs for space, her breath becoming more fatigued.



Now?!” she stated sarcastically more of a statement then a question. Autumn’s voice became deeper as she felt a severe migraine pulse through her brain, a familiar pain beginning to spread as her body betrayed her changing against her will. Her eyes snapped open as realization ran across her face, scrambling to stand she stumbled.



Stupid...clumsy bucking..“ she cursed herself her voice bitter as her eyes narrowed in annoyance at her typical clumsy movements that caused her to fail at stalking. The annoying feeling of pins and needles along with the agony that was growing more familiar to her continued its war path through her legs as she rushed to get to her olive oil hooves while they were still in one piece.



Standing despite her shaking legs the teenage werepony spared a glance at the mirror that sat close to her bed as she turned towards her door to call for help. “M-Mom, Da-,” she said as her voice sounding like a growling chimera dying in her ever-growing sore throat. Her face froze as she did a double take. The darkness of her room combined with the luminous light of the moon creating sinister shadows on her face, Autumn flinched as a familiar pair of scarlet eyes stared back at her... her bodies details still hidden by the shadows of her room.



The snarl that had formed on her face from the frustration and pain showed her fangs in their savage glory, her face fell slowly her lips covering her flesh tearing teeth. Fuzzy ears flattened against her skull moving slowly, she felt a dull ache in the notch of her left ear. A reminder of how she attacked Silver. That pain brining Silver Tongue and Brick Breaker’s voices to her, piercing the chaos of her mind.



Look at the Freak…Stay back Half-breed,” she shut her scarlet eyes and shook her head snorting at the voices her silver bangs covering her eyes. Another series of memories ran to the forefront of her mind the site of Brick Breaker and Silver cowering away from her, scared of her as she approached them in detention… the site of Tales in his wheel chair backing away from her as she stood in the hospital rooms doorway just trying to visit her friend. The pain of his reaction to her still fresh. Autumn could swear she could smell the bittersweet smell of their fear. A sad look crossed her muzzle as her eyes looked at the wall once again, she drug herself towards it resting her burning sweaty head against the cold wall.



I guess in a way I am…” her voice shook as she remembered something her dad had said what seemed like days ago. “Sometimes seeing is believing for pony’s little one,” her eyes blinking open slowly and she sneered as another thought crossed her mind “That’s ridiculous… I saw dad... I SAW him change; I can remember bits of what happened when I changed… I already saw my reflection in the door knob at the hospital.”



Her eyes widened as another pulse of pain struck her. She hit her head against the wall hissing in pain “Ah BUCK” she shouted her mouth pressed into the floor her eyes snapped shut. She rolled her body her hooves moving following her commands though they felt numb. She sucked in a breath through clenched fangs, wrinkling her flat nose as she shook her head trying to divert her thoughts from what was happening to the ridiculous mission she had decided to give herself at hoof.



The young olive oil mare’s eyes opened as another thought came to her...surprise coming to her face as another realization hit her I didn’t hurt Tales I saved him,” she thought a defiant grin forming on her muzzle as the corners of her lips ripped open.


Autumn gagged on the blood spitting it out before she lifted one of her hooves and looked at it her eyes narrowing in anger. She pictured killer claws attached to paw pads tearing apart enchanted wooden creatures to protect her friend. Her smile dropped into a straight line. Her hooves began to splinter as her paw pads attempted to form underneath as if following her train of thought.



Silver and Brick Breaker… I did hurt Brick and the Timberwolves… but I could’ve hurt him worse. I’m still me... I’m still me… I’m not a monster and neither is dad. This isn’t any ponies fault... maybe I do need to see.” she thought as the pain stopped and faded for a few precious minutes. Thankful for the reprieve the partially shifted werepony weakly lifted herself up rolling her half formed body to her hooves; the cracking feet shaking as if she had fallen in a frozen lake.



Taking a deep breath, she placed a bleeding hoof on her chest feeling her rapid heartbeat she tried to slow her racing heart. Feeling the powerful muscle begin to slow and the soft fur against her aching hoof filled her with a small spark of relief taking another deep breath in through her nose she ignored the assault of smells and sighed her breath shaky as it left her lungs.



Staining a patch of her fluffy chest a dark crimson she lowered her hoof opening her scarlet orbs before she shakily stepped closer to the mirror more of her body stepping into the moonlight. Though it was painful her hooves moved steadily...softly clicking as she walked across her room. The teenage mares eyes fell to the floor, her semi wild tail swishing behind her as muscles bunched and released her olive oil fur shining like gold in the moonlight. Her body moved in a routine she had easily done her whole life “Why is it so hard to look?” she asked herself.



Seeing the edge of the mirrors stained dark oak frame on the floor she lifted her eyes seeing her cracked bleeding hooves reflected in its surface. She slowly lowered herself to her haunches feeling the chill of the cold wood floor soak into her coat from her rump traveling up to the tips of her thickly furred ears, but whether it was the cold, the pain, or fear causing her shaking she couldn’t say. Slowly, painfully she began to lift her head; her shorter silver bangs shining in the moonlight doing little to hide her body as she looked at her partially transformed body.



Scarlet eyes opened slowly growing wider in shock as she turned her head to look at her reflection dead on. Her eyes and features softened as they took in the wild fur, her blood red eyes, the scrunched-up muzzle forming deep ridges in the bridge of her flat canine like nose. Cracked bleeding hooves dripping blood down to the floor, tender pink flesh swelling through the crevices. Huge fangs shone white as snow shining with saliva that dripped involuntarily onto the floor pink with residual blood; they poked intimidatingly past her lips showing how deadly they could be if she were to bite somecreature.



Opening her mouth she experimented by opening and shutting her stronger jaw.. feeling the power to tear flesh the thought causing her to tremble. The wider mouth her lips going farther back seeming out of place on a mostly equine form.



Cautiously she lifted her lips and saw how intimidating her teeth looked... she’d never really thought about it until now. Autumn lifted her hoof to her right fang feeling the sharp tip pierce her frog as she ran it over one of the knives her mouth seemed to carry. She flinched pouting at the fact that she’d hurt herself further and watched as the burgundy droplet formed over the cut on the bottom of her hoof, the moonlight giving the dark droplet an eerie glow.



Fuzzy ears lowered as her eyes continued to roam over her form taking in everything. Her silver mane began blending into the fur of her neck almost resembling the fur on a lions mane as it travelled down her back. Her tail began bristling and swishing reflecting her distress, she even saw her muscles moving slightly under her coat in a slow unnatural way as if preparing to move into new positions.



Sighing she lapped at the blood unconsciously her usually thicker equine tongue had become flatter and more mobile. Noticing the change as her tongue scrapped over the small injury, she looked at herself she froze once again and stuck out the organ looking as it hung over her sharpened teeth. Autumn shook her head trying not to fall over as her head grew light and her migraine hit full force, her legs shaking as she fell kneeling on the floor.



Her eyes took in fur matted from sweat, tears and laying on the floor made her look feral and her hackles rising between her withers didn’t aid matters. Her blood red eyes snapped open as she gasped in pain gagging on the saliva that built up in her mouth at looking at the ferocious looking creature she could become... seeing it in the mirror was different than seeing it warped in a hospital door knob. Autumn’s entire body pulsed at once pain deciding to rear it’s ugly head as if to mock her, firing of every nerve in her body as she fell to her side.



The young mares heart became tachycardic and her lungs jumped into overdrive in order to produce the oxygen her body seemed to crave so desperately. Autumn glanced up and saw her face become drenched in sweat as her body began to seize her head and neck striking the floor as her jaw broke signaling another shift. “N-No come on...change back please.” she pleaded her voice weak from lack of air and pain taking away any strength in her voice.



She did everything she could to try and calm down, to think of a way to change back to her earth pony form. “Come on think of anything else… taking care of the critters with mom, C-Chasing Red around the chicken yard… Eating apple cinnamon pancakes with mom and dad… Hearths Warming telling stories around the fire as they drank cocoa her dad getting a whipped cream mustashe… Dad patching up my scraped knee when I crashed the wheat cart… Trying to surprise dad every morning...Hanging with B-Butters… Listening to Tales stories… when he wasn’t terrified of me” as memories that usually filled her with peace flashed one after the other in Autumns mind silk thin strands formed in the void of her mind weaving together; but to no avail Autumn couldn’t seem to see it. She continued to transform hopelessly whimpering her body breaking and reshaping itself once again.



She curled her body into a fetal position before she rolled onto her back placing a hoof on her chest as she gasped for air. Her heart pulsed harder and faster aching as it strained to move her blood through her body. Autumn’s ears twitched as she heard her hooves began crack and fall to the ground, muscles tearing and bones shattering and reforming underneath the hard keratin.



Four paw pads emerged covered in blood and mucus fur growing over the digits and a small dew claw emerged from the reformed paw razor sharp ivory claws digging into the wood floor as her forelimbs fell to the floor. As she clenched her newly formed fists the claws dug splintered divots into the wood as she curled up shaking. Finding her hooves and paws on solid ground she rapidly stood up and her pony brain urged her to her back legs to scare away what was kicking in her fight or flight.



Autumn reared up and her eyes glowed red as everything around her faded away… blinded by pain and adrenaline the werepony reared back and flexed her jaw as it broke to fit the fangs growing larger in her mouth. Her lips ripping farther to make her mouth more canine. Falling back to her four limbs she lifted her rear legs flexing each rear hoof as it shattered two toe pads and a foot pad forming ending in two sharpened cloven hooves.



She fell to the ground as her ribs, spine and pelvis shattered filling her room with the sound of crepitus. Her muscles squirmed under her coat as the fur grew thicker over her body, her flesh twitched as muscles tore and restructured themselves with new ligaments and tendons.



“AAARRRRAAAAAAAOOOOORRRRRrrrr!” the loud howl escaping her throat; the werepony halfway transformed bucked and snarled, paws lashing out and clawing anything nearby. Her stained oak night stand shattered like cheap plywood as she used her powerful paws to crush it as she lowered her body to the ground. The creatures glowing red eyes settled on the nearby bed and she grabbed onto the pillow tearing it to shreds the room mirroring snowfall as cotton and cloth fluttered down.


Outside the farmhouse Sugar Beets eyes widened as the sound of a loud howl broke her concentration breaking her vigil. Turning her head her face morphing from determination to concern as her ears pointed to the house, her emerald eyes worried as she rapidly got to her hooves.

“Tha’ can be... Autumn! Hold on,” She rapidly ran back to the house from across the front yard. Kicking up grass and dirt as she rushed to her daughter.


Snarling she flipped over the bed spilling the mattress onto the floor the frame being tossed across the room landing near the closet and blocking the bedroom door. As her vision cleared the werepony shuttered looking around the half transformed wereponies eyes shifted between bright red and white. Her paws reached up clenching her head as it pounded like a Zebrafrican drum… it almost sounded as if some pony was banging against a wooden surface. All the creature could see behind her eyelids was darkness.



Suddenly in the recesses of her mind... the wereponies ears lifted as if she heard something faint a voice?… No.. voices? “There, there sweet pea, now ya listen to me… nothin’ is wrong with ya. Yer my daughter, prettier than a magnolia in may no matter what some varmints may say,” the warm loving voice making her snarl fall slightly… her ears stood at attention before she shook her head sneering. Although the werepony tried its best the voices got louder… it seemed as if her eyes glowed white again flashing before flashing back to red.



“Don’t worry Autumn, Tales and I will always be there to watch your back. So, do not worry if you need us. We’ll be there,” the memory of a pea green earth pony with orange mane filled her memory along with the memory of a purple unicorn with a cheeky smile.



A series of small whimpers escaped her lips as golden pupils peaked through the glowing white irises. Growling she the werepony saw her reflection in the mirror she saw a young mare with fuzzy ears, a warm smile and warm happy amber eyes. Ponies began to stand beside the vision... an elderberry mare with loving grass green eyes, the purple unicorn with turmeric eyes, a pea green filly holding a jar of pear jam... a silver stallion... with fuzzy ears like her. The werepony stopped as she looked at the shattered mirror, her rapid breathing slowing her snarl fell as she looked at the stallion who shared the olive oil fillies... no... that pony it was her. Her father shared her amber eyes the large silver stallion smiled his face filled with pride as he reached his hoof out and messed up her wild silver forlock. Autumn slowly reached up with her paw to flatten out her messed up mane, the small filly matching her movements.



Angry the beast part of the werepony shook her head trying to ignore the vision. She rose her paw flexing her fingers to better utilize her claws and slashed at the mirror; wood splintered from the frame and the mirrors glass shattered forming cracks and spilling glass onto the floor. The werepony sucked in a gulp of air as she kneeled on the ground her tail whipping around as she seemed to pant in effort. She banged her head against the floor glass crunching as her skull thumped against the surface the shards sticking to her silver mane as she lifted her head shining like stars in the moonlight annoyed she shook them off.



The need to hunt... wanting blood.. needing her claws to tear into flesh and fangs tearing apart enemies. A hulking shadowy figure forming an ethereal werepony stood snarling in her mind against the memories the voices. Howling the beast backed away slightly as the memories calmed its rage it’s red eyes wide and untrusting blinked and it’s crouching defensive posture seemed to relax. The predatory thoughts that came with the adrenaline became quieter as more voices joined the young olive oil mare still smiling kindly in the mirror still smiling at her holding out a hoof. She held a glowing thread out to the werepony flinching away the beast in her tried to avoid it as an abused dog would a kind touch.



Suddenly a crash was heard in the background the door that had closed off the creature providing a barrier broke and the werepony rose to her powerful limbs snarling at the creature that had dared to startle her. The werepony froze...Standing in the doorway was the elderberry mare her emerald eyes had tears in the edges and for a second the werepony thought it was due to fear.



Opening her mouth she lifted her body slightly to her back legs and opened her mouth “RAAAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRR!”
The air from the creatures powerful lungs brushed the pony’s curly olive oil mane and shook the room but there she stood a small consoling smile on her lips.



“Autumn... sugar it’s me... Mommy. Ah know yer scared, but Ah also know yer my brave filly and that yer strong enough ta come back,” tears formed in Sugar Beets eyes as she walked toward the werepony cautiously her daughters growl dying in her throat. Sugar walked up to her daughter rose her hoof to her daughter inviting her in for a hug... the large werepony lashed out her claws just grazing the farm mares hoof causing two lacerations to form on her fetlock. Sugar flinched at the pain but she refused to pull back continuing to walk towards her scared confused daughter.



The werepony shook her head her tail tucking between her legs; the beast rose her arm trying to bat the pony that stood by her “false” pony form away. But she couldn’t do it she looked at the blood as it dripped to the floor with each step... the mare... no HER mother took. The thickly furred ears fell flat and she whimpered as she realized what she’d done. She lowered her head in shame shutting her eyes, suddenly her eyes snapped open. Her mother’s hooves were wrapped around her neck nuzzling her cheek.



“It’s alright Mom’s here lil’ one, ya know who ya are...yer our filly, now come on back... please?” Sugar said her voice full of love and understanding. At those words Autumn’s memories struck the werepony like a freight train and like a Pegasus had flown by the fog that clouded her mind finally cleared enough and the beast in her mind cautiously took the glowing thread in its mouth. Warmth flooded her burning, sweating and aching body like some pony had soaked her in a warm bath.



Her heart rate slowed and the pain slowly faded as the werepony looked at the mirror and saw her form both of them blending together. Blinking and breathing out she opened her eyes, looking up raising her brows her pupils returned glowing scarlet before turning to their amber color. Autumn fell to the ground a small exhausted smile on her lips as she collapsed into a heap on the floor Sugar tried in vain to catch her daughters heavy body.



Sweet Celestia!! Autumn are ya alrigh, are...did ya, are ya hurt? Are ya there?” she asked concern lining her voice as she rushed to the wereponies side. Her motherly instincts kicking in she started to look for any injuries as she used her hooves to gently lift her daughters paw and check her eyes. Seeing the gorgeous amber color she shared with her father an amazed and relieved smile split her muzzle. She watched as Autumn lifted her paw up and rubbed her eyes as if trying to clear the stars and Pegasi spinning around her head.



The farmhouse sat silent as the chaos that had transpired between the two females of the Moon family settled to an easy calm. The only sound left was the sound of labored breathing and an occasional moan or whimper coming from Autumn as she slowly came to her senses. Each breath felt like water flowing through a desert to her starved aching lungs. vision cleared her body completed her shift the floor groaning in complaint at the additional weight of the creature it had not had to support yet.



Shakily Autumn stood and shook her body out looking more like the a wolf as she did so, her eyes blinked open slowly still photosensitive as she looked at her clawed hands. She began freaking out as she felt her arms with her rough paw pads and looked at her cloven feet wiggling her two toes. “W-what in the hey?!?” her eyes trembling her mouth opening and closing like a fish on land as she looked at her reflection in the shattered mirror...screaming startled herself and jumped back slightly.



She realized it was her own reflection and started looking at her paws running them down her face her eyes watched as her reflection moved with her. She began to hyper ventilate as she backed away flinching as a shard of glass carved a laceration into her front right paw pad breaking any illusions that this was a nightmare. Pouting slightly, she almost looked cute as she yanked the shard out with her teeth her eyes taking in the destruction around her.



Autumn jumped as she felt a hoof brush over the fur on her paw, her face whipped around to face her mother. “M-mom what.. what happened? Regret covered her transformed muzzle as she saw the cuts on her mother’s hoof. The mares emerald eyes followed her daughters as she tried to get her attention away from her injury by moving her hoof and waving it off. Autumn scented the air and smelled her mother’s blood on her... her eyes shone as she lifted her claws to her face horror flooding her face.



“How am I? D-Did I h-hurt you? she asked her mother shame causing her ears to fall against her head... “Mom I-I’m so so sorry, Autumn’s deeper voice shook with sorrow sounding fragile. Sugar Beet looked away but shook her head at her “I-it’s fine sweet pea just a scratch, I’m jus’...jus’ happy yer here, I knew ya could do it,” said her mother no fear in her voice just pride and understanding as she places a loving hoof over the claws that had her blood on them.



Autumn flinched away from the kind touch feeling dirty. “No wonder they were scared of me,” she said her deep voice growing smaller. Scenting the air the smell of rotting fruit left a sickly sweet trail staining the air as it faded. Autumn sat up her sable colored tail wrapping around her like a safety blanket around her hooves and paws giving her some form of warmth in the limbs that seemed to grow cold.




She looked away from her reflection in the shattered mirror that showed her and her mother. Seeing what Tales had seen that night; that side of herself that until now she had never fully seen for herself. Looking around what was left of her furniture, how large she’d become how much she could do with little effort.



Tartarus… I’m scared of me too mom,” the female werepony’s ears drooped even farther. Looking down at herself she a mix of shame and sadness. Slowly she tried to make herself smaller she couldn’t seem to look her mother in the eyes.




Suddenly Autumn jumped as she felt her mother’s hooves around her neck nuzzling her and giving her a typical too tight mom hug. She felt her mom kiss her cheek some moisture leaving dark stains on her olive oil fur. “Hon’ ya didn’t do anything’ Ah’m sorry I scared ya honest. But ya have nothing ya be sorry fer an’ yer nothin to be scared of you don’t have ta be afraid,” said Sugar her gentle voice just louder than a whisper.



Autumns eyes began to shine as she returned her mothers nuzzle her body began to shrink as she slowly transformed back into her earth pony form shaking as she hugged her mother as gently as she could. The feeling of her large werepony body becoming smaller while someone she loved held her gave her a sense of happiness... she was a werepony... but a monster... no she was a daughter being hugged by her mother her form didn’t matter. Not here.




This feels nice...it still hurts but not nearly as much,” a genuine smile came over Autumn’s face her whole body relaxed as it finished transforming back. The feeling of her mother’s hooves around her neck never left her. Love seemed to flow from her mother into her and the warmth was a welcome change to the confusion and misery she had been feeling earlier. Her silver tail thumped against the ground before her face fell still sensing that something was wrong, she pulled away from her mother’s embrace.



Scenting the air as she breathed in trying to enjoy the familial warmth. An involuntary shiver danced its way down her spine as the room seemed to get colder, the fur on her hackles rose. “Something’s wrong,” voicing the information her body seemed to be telling her. Sugar Beet pulled away from embracing her daughter a questioning look on her face.



Autumn scented the air again to try and determine what was coming. Her amber eyes turned scarlet as if to intimidate any possible threats to her and her mother. Her eyes closed as the scents of the farm and her surroundings rushed to her brain as she processed what was around her, the smell of the forest… the familiar earthy smell of the critters stables, sweat… old stale pine forest, wildflowers of her mother’s fur, two new scents… metal..wood and something else?



The sound of hooves pounding the front door caused the farm mare and the tracking werepony to jump startled at the sudden onset of noise. Sugar’s grip tightened around Autumn’s withers drawing her closer to her chest in a defensive posture. Her face a mask of seriousness as the next words that left her muzzle seemed to freeze Autumn’s blood in her veins. “We have company.”


Author's Note:

OMG! I am so so sorry for the late update... work has been crazy and this is the first time I've gotten a chance to write anything :applejackconfused: But thankfully I managed to find some time today to write out another chapter. I hope that you guys enjoy this one and for the few the proud the brave that are still reading this I salute you and thank you. If you like the story please leave a like, and if you have any feedback I'd love to hear it. Until next time (hopefully sooner than this chapter) Cheers! :raritywink: edited*

HUGE SHOUT OUT TO CYONIX!! The great artist who created the wonderful art for this chapter! I can't thank them enough for this absolutely beautiful piece. Cheers!