• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 12,537 Views, 349 Comments

Apprentice of the Stars - Vohira



What will Twilight do when after the Canterlot Wedding, she finds her knowledge and skills lacking?

  • ...
46
 349
 12,537

Chapter 8: Confrontations

Chapter 8

Confrontations

Twilight was nervous, she kept pacing around her room and from time to time she glanced at the mannequin on which rested her armor. Even in her room in the tower, she could hear the many voices of the guest that were still arriving at the ball. Luna didn’t give the ball any fancy name after all, although she thought about it.

She stopped her pacing near her desk. Her gaze traveled to a front page of ‘Manehattan Times’ that laid sprawled on top of other scrolls and books. What made it special was the large picture of sheriff Silverstar with the rescued ponies. And there also was the matter of a smaller column... one which Twilight dearly hoped would not be printed. But as it was, now all of Equestria knew about her and her... method, of saving the ponies in Appleloosa.

If Twilight was to be honest with herself, the only pony opinions that mattered, were that of her family's and her friends’. They all had sent her letters regarding the article of course, and still... she didn’t dare to open them. And then there was one letter she didn’t even dared to touch, a letter from Princess Celestia. When Twilight thought about the letters, all she could came up with were the negative reactions, and the scolding words she suspected she would find written in them.

But the worst thing in this mess was, that some of her friends will be attending. Applejack couldn’t be at the ball from obvious reasons, and surprisingly Pinkie Pie didn’t want to come... that alone unnerved Twilight more than anything.

The knocking on the door stopped her thoughts. By the sound of it, she assumed it was one of the castle servants.

“Yes?” Twilight asked not opening the door.

“Miss Sparkle, Princess Luna sent me to inform you that you should be ready in half an hour.”

“I’ll be there.” She answered shortly and turned around to once again look at the mannequin.

Over the past two nights Twilight had a major dilemma to deal with. Surprisingly, it had everything to do with the pieces of metal she was staring at. Tonight “Twilight the librarian” will become “Twilight the Commander” and all of Equestria will know it. Here was the problem, with the diamond dogs incident her image was tarnished in the eyes of many ponies, and with this promotion she would cast a shadow of suspicion on Luna’s motives and goals for sure.

Also, Luna hadn’t scolded her for deaths of the diamond dogs, she even hinted that it was a good thing. Being the former student of Princess Celestia she had trouble understanding that.

From the beginning for Twilight it was obvious that Luna was not Celestia, but when she saw how dismissively the Princess waved her hoof at hearing that she murdered a whole pack of diamond dogs... On one hoof it somewhat helped her get over what she had done, on the other it resulted in a whole new set of doubts.

The purple mare shook her head. It was too late for doubts anyway, after what she had done no pony else would offer her any kind of job.

With a heavy sigh Twilight began to put on the armor.

**********

The throne room had been decorated with white roses for the ball, and everypony that entered was astounded at the simple beauty of the room.

At the front of the crowd, near the dais stood the three Element Bearers that arrived. To Rarity's annoyance, Prince Blueblood stood not even two hooves from her.

“Rarity do you think Twilight will be here?” Fluttershy’s gentle voice brought the white unicorn from her musings.

“Trust me, she will.”

Just as Rarity said that a short fanfare sounded through the room, Princess Luna and Celestia entered. Behind the two alicorns walked Princess Cadence and Shining Armor. Everypony in the room bowed until the group reached the dais. Princess Luna took her seat on the black thorne and Princess Celestia sat on a golden pillow on her right. On the left side of the Night Princess the married couple sat down on pink and white pillows.

“Greetings my ponies. It is my pleasure to have you all here, in the castle in which history was made.” Princess Luna didn't have to raise her voice to be heard in the silence that followed their entrance, everypony gathered was eager to hear what she had to say.

“Before we begin the ball which will last until midnight, I have an announcement to make. In the past months one mare showed me her devotion and skill that far is far beyond that of the average unicorn. It is my opinion that such an individual should be rewarded.” As Luna spoke, gathered ponies started to discreetly look around with curiosity. But only the first row was now concentrated on the royal ponies and in this row only the three Elements saw how Celestia's stoic facade cracked for a bit, worry and surprisingly anger showed on the white alicorn’s muzzle for no longer than two heart beats.

“It is with great honor that I present you the newly promoted Commander of the Night Guard, that now shall take her official vows. Twilight Sparkle.” When the Princess said the name, through the doors that they entered, Twilight Sparkle walked in, clad in her armor, her expression cold and indifferent. The carpet muffled the sound of the armored horseshoes hitting stone, and it was still heard all over the room. The silence was absolute.

Everypony had read the papers. They knew what she did, and so more than a half of them blanched slightly seeing the one pony that singlehoofedly erased a diamond dog pack.

As Twilight slowly made her way to the dais, she saw the frightened looks but she tried not to think about them. What concerned her was the shift in how Princess Celestia, Cadence and her brother sat. As she reached the dais she could see clearly their eyes. Celestia’s burned with hidden anger, but Twilight refused to be influenced by that. Cadence and her brother were mostly worried, her brother she could tell was also feeling a bit angry. And the look in Princess Luna’s eyes was... triumphant? Twilight dismissed that thought quickly, Luna was probably just happy.

“Twilight Sparkle, you stand here before us to take the vows necessary to become Commander of the Night Guard. Now I ask, do you wish to proceed?” When Luna spoke, she briefly glanced at her sister. What she saw matched with what she predicted.

“Yes.” The purple mare gave a short answer.

“Do you swear to protect those placed under your command?” As she said that, the Princess of the Night couldn’t stop herself from thinking how practically pointless that particular vow was.

“I swear.” That was an easy answer for Twilight, it was the major part of the job anyway, ensuring safety.

“Do you swear to work for the betterment of life of those that live in and serve the night?” From the corner of her eye Luna saw how Celestia scowled slightly. That was a very vague vow, and both of them knew that it could be bent significantly to suit ones needs.

“I do.” Twilight saw Celestia’s small scowl, but she couldn’t quite understand what made the alicorn react that way.

“Do you accept me as your sole ruler, and in doing so, swear to fulfill any of my orders?” This was the part Luna waited for the most, she saw how Celestia sat a bit straighter and almost dropped her royal act just to look at her with disbelief mixed with anger.

“I do... my Princess.” Twilight hesitated only for a second before she answered and bowed before the dark alicorn. One thing was certain, in that instant her eyes didn’t trick her, Princess Luna had a smug smile on her muzzle.

“Then from this night you are Twilight Sparkle, Commander of the Night Guard. Congratulations are in order, as is a celebration. My noble and patient guest, it is time for the ball to begin.” The Princess waved her hoof and the small band started to play some classical but joyful piece of music. Servants entered the room with silver platters filled with snacks and drinks. One of them approached Luna. With her blue magic Luna grabbed the single crystal chalice, decorated with silver that had a deep red liquid in it, it was the best wine from Baltimare region. She adjusted herself and sat more comfortably, as she slowly sipped her drink and observed the nobles.

When her sister had finished her little speech, Celestia leaned closer to her.

“You were to teach her, not make her one of yours!” The white alicorn whispered with a bit of anger flowing into her words.

“We shall talk later about it, don’t make a scene, my dearest sister.” Luna shoot her almost pleading look... and she smiled inside, as she saw Celestia nodding reluctantly.

In the meantime Rarity, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash had walked up to Twilight.

“This is so awesome! Think you could get me some of that armor?” The cyan pegasus said while she looked at said armor.

“Rarity... uhh... I’m sorry for leaving you then.” Twilight decided to not answer the question from Rainbow, the mare was still checking out all the details of the armor, so that answer could wait a bit.

“You're forgiven darling. With those circumstances, we understood.” Rarity answered with a small smile on her muzzle. Back then, she too would have left Appleloosa as quickly as she could, but they had to wait one more day after Twilight left. The local doctor, Queen or something, only then allowed for Applejack to be transported to Ponyville hospital.

“Hello Fluttershy!” Twilight smiled broadly, when she the purple mare saw her timid pegasus friend emerge from the crowd to join them.

“Eeep!” Was the only answer she gave, with a slight jump Fluttershy hid behind her white unicorn friend. Rainbow Dash started to laugh.

“H-h-ello Twilight... My... Nice armor...” When the cyan pegasus stopped laughing, slightly blushing Fluttershy finally answered.

“Applejack I can understand, but where is Pinkie?” As she talked Twilight noted how Fluttershy couldn’t or wouldn’t look too long in her eyes.

“Well she said something about nobles not liking her partys...” It was Rainbow who answered “So any chances for me to get that armor?”

“If you join the guard, sure.” Twilight said with a bit of humor in her voice. She knew that Rainbow only truly wanted to join Wonderbolts.

“Aww... that sucks.”

“Now, now, don’t make a sad face Rainbow. We all know you lack the patience to be a guard dear.” Rarity said looking at her cyan friend with amusement in her eyes.

“Um, Twilight... What about Spike? Do you want me to look after him?” Fluttershy’s question derailed the thoughts of all three ponies. The yellow pegasus saw the small frown that formed on her purple friend's muzzle.

“For now, yes.” Twilight said with obvious hesitation. She still hadn’t forgiven him for forging her signature.

“Twili!” The voice of Shining Armor brought Twilight’s attention to him and Cadence as they were coming closer to their small group.

“BBBFF... How’s the ball so far?” The purple mare asked with a smile on her muzzle... which faltered a bit when she saw the stern look he was giving her. She glanced at Cadence and relaxed a bit, at least her old foal sitter had a sincere smile on her muzzle.

The small group now stood in a small circle, near one of the columns. Twilight spotted a servant nearby and took one of the silver chalices he carried on the tray. She looked inside. It was wine, she knew that Luna favored it over any other drinks. All this happened in the time it took her brother to reach their small group so when Twilight finished her question, she took a small sip.

“So now you’re the Commander and you drink?” Shining asked with a bit of his protectiveness evident in his voice.

“A lot changed Shining.” Twilight answered quietly.

“So it seems... You realize that you both have an equal rank?” Cadence tried to steer the conversation on safer subjects in her opinion.

“Come on girls, lets give them some space.” Rarity whispered to both her pegasi friends and almost dragged them to the snack table.

“Twilight, how could you do it?” Shining asked the one question that he wanted answered. Now that her three friends left them alone it was time for some serious talk.

Cadence hearing the question bit her lower lip in worry. Both she and Shining had discussed this topic many times now. She had a very uneasy feeling about all of this.

“It was a simple choice, I protected the innocent, with any means necessary.” Twilight frowned at her own words, she took another sip from the chalice.

“You realize that more than half of the ponies in this room are afraid of you?” Shining’s voice cut through Twilight’s thoughts.

“I don’t care.” The purple mare locked her gaze with her brother’s. She knew him very well and only because of that she saw something in his eyes. “Get to the point brother, what do really want to ask?”

Princess Cadence stood quietly, observing. She knew what her husband was about to say, and she dearly hoped that no one was paying attention to their talk.

“What did Princess Luna do to you? In less than three months you became a different pony.” His voice was accusing, but he only voiced his Princess concerns.

Twilight narrowed her eyes. She didn’t see that one coming. Out of all the thing he could say...

“She only trained me, anything else was my doing. Now, I believe that this conversation is over Captain Shining Armor.” Twilight stated a bit coldly and turned around. She went looking for her friends.

“I did warn you Shining.” Cadence sighed heavily and leaned into her husband that was now making a very good imitation of a fish.

In the next hours of the ball, the siblings tried their best to avoid each other. Princess Cadence engaged in small talk with Twilight several more times, which she noted eased some of the tension in the smaller mare. The Princess also took note of how both her aunts didn’t move too much from their seats on the dais. The tension between her husband and Twilight was nothing in comparison to the situation between the two older alicorns.

When it was close to midnight the Princess of the Night announced that she will be retiring, but encouraged her subjects to stay and enjoy the ball to its last minutes.

Luna did this for one reason only. She promised her sister a talk, and a talk she would get, away from prying eyes and ears.

**********

When Luna reached the corridor which lead to her private chambers, she heard hoofsteps behind her. They were quick, and decisive. She had an idea who was coming her way.

“Luna, we need to talk.” Celestia’s voice had a kind of scolding tone in it.

“About?” The dark alicorn stopped and turned around to face her sister.

“Twilight.” Was the short answer that Celestia gave as she stopped within hoofs reach from her younger sister.

“I am afraid, that I do not kno-”

“Don’t play with me Lulu.” Celestia stomped her left front leg on the obsidian floor, cracking it.

“She was given an offer, and she accepted it, as you saw. There is nothing more to it.” Luna said while looking right into her sister’s eyes.

“Oh but there is. Appleloosa. My student would never ha-”

“Former student,” the smaller alicorn cut in before her sister could really start her rant. “And she did what she thought was appropriate at that time.”

Celestia looked shocked and took a step back. But a moment later she hardened her glare and stood straighter.

“Appropriate? You call killing that diamond dog’s pack... appropriate?!” Celestia narrowed her eyes in anger.

“They practice slavery my dearest sister. They do not value ponies life’s. Their fate was well deserved.” Saying this Luna herself stood straighter, giving off a commanding, even arrogant aura. “I have nothing more to say to you on that matter, goodbye sister.” She started to walk away into her chambers.

Celestia could only stare at her smaller sister. In the time from her ‘awakening’ by the Elements, she had changed. Not only in appearance but also in behaviour... Her eyes widened, her heart stopped for an instant. Why she didn’t see this earlier? Was she really that blinded or misguided by emotions?

“What are you playing at... Nightmare Moon?” Celestia’s voice was cold, and she wasn’t that surprised when her sister stopped and slowly turned around to face her again.

“What did you call me?” Luna asked slowly, with barely withheld anger in her voice.

“I see it now sister. You dabbled in the same magics that caused your fall a thousand years ago, didn’t you?” Celestia said with an expressionless look on her muzzle.

“You know nothing, you understand nothing.” Luna answered with bitterness evident in her voice.

“So what are you saying? That you’re not taking Twilight away from me and her life in Ponyville for some twisted revenge? Am I not right, Nightmare Moon?” The white alicorn almost shuddered when her sister, her own little sister shot her a glare full of hatred.

“I have forgiven you Celestia, because you had no other choice a thousand years ago. But do not be mistaken... I have not forgotten. Do not give me reason to despise you more than I already do.” With that Luna abruptly turned around and resumed her walk to her room.

“Lulu...” Celestia whispered in a weak voice, as she realized how deeply she must have hurt her younger sister to make her say such things, and could now only watch as her sister disappeared inside hers chambers.

Princess Celestia stood there for what felt like eternity, until she felt tears falling down her muzzle. She worked so hard for a thousand years to bring her little Lulu back. The school was founded to search for the one unicorn that could wield the Elements. She even searched for the most honest, most loyal, most generous, most cheerful and kind ponies within every generation and watched them from afar. Gently guiding them through centuries to establish families in one town or as close to each other as it was possible... so a bit of coincidence also was at play in the end.

The many mortal ponies that became her personal students and which she loved like daughters or sons... it broke her heart when they died but she stayed strong. For her little sister.

Finally she found Twilight at the right time... now she and Twilight, her little pride and joy, were quickly drifting apart... something she didn’t have experience with. And now she may have just lost her little sister, again.

Looking miserable and defeated, with tears still falling, she went through the castle not noticing the many worried and scared stares she received. She hadn't even heard Twilight’s voice calling her name and asking what was wrong. She needed to be alone, to think... When she was outside she teleported away.

**********

A/N: Sorry for the long delay, but real life hit hard. Also don’t expect another update to be fast, it is quite possible that it will take as long or even longer than this one.