• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 12,574 Views, 349 Comments

Apprentice of the Stars - Vohira



What will Twilight do when after the Canterlot Wedding, she finds her knowledge and skills lacking?

  • ...
47
 349
 12,574

Chapter 1: Rising Moon

Chapter 1

Rising Moon

After the talk with the Princesses, Twilight went straight to the castle library to calm herself.

Of course, what was supposed to be only a short time of relaxing with a good book turned out to last until dinner. When she looked up from her book to see the time, the purple mare almost galloped out from the library. Castle occupants had to get out of her way as she expertly navigated the Castle halls and corridors or they risked being trampled.

She had to stop for a minute before entering the room to catch her breath. Twilight opened the doors to see her friends sitting on both sides of a long table, at the far end on a beautifully crafted chair sat Princess Celestia and on her right was someone she did not expect. Prince Blueblood. One seat was left empty for her and it was at the left side of the Princess, so she calmly walked to take it. As she passed her friends she looked at their happy faces, well most of them had happy faces, Rarity glared daggers at the Prince and it would seemed he was oblivious to it or he expertly ignored it. The purple mare smiled slightly at that, her unicorn friend still hadn't forgotten or forgiven the Prince for that one Gala.

“Twilight, just in time.” Celestia by the looks of it finally returned to her radiant demeanour from before the wedding incident. When the purple unicorn sat she exchanged a polite greeting with the Princess and the Prince, then looked down the table.

“So where were you all day?”

“Oh, Oh! We had the best time pranking the guards! You wouldn't believe how hard it's to get them to smile. Right, Dashie?” Pinkie Pie answered her smiling and almost bouncing in her place. When the pink mare ended, she enveloped Rainbow Dash with her right front leg in a hug, but it turned into a head lock somehow... By the look of how the cyan pegasus face was starting to darken, she would guess Pinkie used a bit to much strength.

“Pinkie... Air... Uncool...” Rainbow was struggling to get out of her position and finally managed after Pinkie began laughing.

“Ah was just being lazy, even Ah need it from time to time.” Applejack said in her southern drawl, her stetson hanging on the back of her chair.

“And I'm about ready to get back to Ponyville. I just finished my last purchases in Canterlot today.” When Twilight heard Rarity, she knew there would be a time when she would indulge them with all of the gossip she surely gathered along her shopping trip to the city.

“And you Fluttershy? Where did you go?” Twilight asked seeing as the shy pony was being rather quiet.

“Oh... ummm... The gardens are beautiful and the labyrinth wasn't that scary without Discord there...” the timid pegasus answered and maybe she would have said more if it wasn't for the bell sound that announced beginning of the dinner.

The castle's butler, a dark blue earthpony with a chalice for his cutie mark, kept watch over the table until everyone was full and didn't order anything else.

“Now, that that is over I have an announcement to make. Or maybe you would like to tell your friends Twilight?” Celestia's voice cut sharply into said unicorn's happy thoughts. Well she did plan on telling her friends if not today then tomorrow.

Twilight nodded and cleared her throat a bit dramatically.

“From today I am no longer Princess Celestia's student. Princess Luna will teach me from now on.” The reactions she got were rather comical. Most of her friends looked at her dumbfounded, but Pinkie being Pinkie...

“You know what that calls for?! A PARTY!” She shouted and out of nowhere confetti exploded around the pink mare.

“Maybe later Pinkie, at home?” Twilight tried to save the situation after seeing a bit of hurt in the eyes of the Sun Princess.

“Well if you want it that way...” Pinkie reluctantly said looking a bit disappointed.

“Why the change Twilight? I mean... Princess Celestia is well... Princess Celestia, no offence to your sister Princess.” Dash asked not quite sure how to politely word what was on her mind. She got a small nod from the white alicorn as a sign of understanding.

“And that's the point Rainbow, Princess Celestia can only teach me that much. I'm in need of a new... perspective.” Twilight wasn't quite yet ready to tell her friends what she will be learning from the Princess of the Night. The more she thought about it, it was easier to see that what today’s ponies knew in regards to magic were at most very advanced tricks and illusions. Nothing really harmful. Princess Celestia did a really good job at keeping that kind of knowledge locked in the Canterlot library and archives. So telling them that she will learn spells that are meant to hurt others may not leave a good impression.

“Ah understand sugarcube, nothin’ to worry about.” Applejack said looking pointedly at Rainbow Dash.

“Well, if you're happy dear, then we are happy. But it is rather surprising.” Alongside this answer from Rarity, Twilight saw how Fluttershy nodded her head at her with a smile on her muzzle.

For another good half hour the dining hall was filled with idle chatter and the only 'bigger' event was when Prince Blueblood decided to leave the dining room. He of course paid his respects to the Sun Princess, exchanged some polite goodbyes with Twilight and ignored the rest. Rarity glared at him all that time and when he ignored her as he passed by her she couldn't withhold a small, unladylike growl of annoyance.

When it was time for the six of them to leave the dining room one of the castles servants came and announced that their luggage was ready for their journey back to Ponyville. It was handy being officially invited by the Princess. Their luggage was taken care of by the castle servants.

“Have a good journey back to your homes my little ponies.” With that parting words Celestia left the room by a side entrance that the others just spotted, as the wood work of the doors was made especially to fit well to the design of the dinning room.

“Well then, lets go catch a train” Twilight's voice sounded a bit sad when she said that, her hope about Princess Celestia understanding her choice was lowered by the formal and a bit stiff way that the alicorn used to say her goodbyes.

Nonetheless the Six left the dinning room in high spirits, they were away for only three days but it was enough for them to miss their home, some more than others. On the way to the train station Spike joined them when he saw them passing by a window of Pony Joe's donut shop. And to Twilight he was definitely... rounder than normal. She laughed quietly at that thought. She would have to give him a lecture on why he shouldn’t eat so many sweets. But that could wait until they got home.

**********

When they arrived at Ponyville station it was an hour before sunset and everyone went their separate ways. They had some caching up to do, be it with their pets or work.

As Twilight trotted through the town with Spike on her back and her luggage suspended with her magic behind her, she was just happy that her home was as peaceful as ever, like they even didn't know about the changeling attack on Canterlot. She liked it that way. Some things just shouldn't change.

When the duo reached her library she was glad she had set up a point before her home for those who wanted to return their books when she was absent. Rainbow Dash could say what she wanted about books and reading to tease her, but it didn't change the fact that Twilight daily had at least two ponies looking for something in her large collection of reading material. But first things first, she needed to unpack and lay Spike into his basket as he was now sleeping on her back. So wasting no time she went to do just that.

After about an hour all was done, including re-shelving of the returned books. And it was a good thing too because she could see through one of the windows that the moon was just rising on the horizon. When Twilight remembered that she was supposed to meet Princess Luna she went outside on her balcony. She took one of her blankets as she wanted to be more comfortable and just look at the night sky. Astronomy was one of the many subjects she had learned but it was one of her favourite, just after magical theory.

After what Twilight guessed could be forty minutes she saw a darker shape flying across the night sky in the silvery moonlight. It soon dawned on her that it wasn't the Princess of the Night. It was her chariot pulled by the two Night Guard pegasi. She followed it with her gaze and was surprised when it took course on her library. Twilight stood up, hurriedly went downstairs and went outside just in time to see the dark chariot land before her doors. One of the guards turned his cat like eyes on her.

“Twilight Sparkle?”

“Yes.” Was the only thing she could say, because the purple mare now saw that the chariot was empty.

“Our Princess awaits you. We were ordered to take you to her.” He said and waited until Twilight would get onto the chariot. When she did, without any warning he and his partner in this mission took flight and headed to the Everfree Forest.

In the meantime Twilight was observing their path and she gulped with a bit of fright when she saw they were headed deep into the Everfree. And when they reached their destination her eyes were wide as plates. Princess Luna wanted to meet her here? And what was going on here?

True, the place wasn't new to her but now it felt more... wrong. The Ancient Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters had a peculiar chill about it tonight. Twilight saw that somepony had built scaffoldings around the castle. She could see piles of wooden beams and chiseled stones laying around. Night Guards stood here and there around the castle.

Her horn tingled with a new kind of magic that filled the air. It felt colder and wilder than her own magic. She felt it once, when Nightmare Moon tried to hide the Elements and she foalishly jumped in to the vortex of her magic only to get taken with the Elements, but not in such quantities...

Twilight took a a deep breath to calm herself. She was here to see Luna... not her. With that in mind she went inside the Castle. The first thing she noticed was the Night Guards and other ponies with dark coats moving around. Some were obviously construction ponies as they had protection helmets and saddlebags full of tools. Now and then she spotted normal castle servants, she even saw a few faces she remembered from Canterlot. But one thing that all these ponies had in common, made her almost trip on her own legs when she realised it. They all had those cat like eyes...

One thing she had to admit, moonlight created very intimidating shadows. The purple unicorn was deep in the castle now going up a long staircase, which some Night Guard pointed out to her when she told him what she was here for and asked where she could find the Princess. When she reached its end Twilight realized she was in the same hall she faced Nightmare Moon. But now the hall was mostly renewed as she saw that it had been cleaned in general, the missing stones and glass has been replaced and the floor was now paved with polished obsidian. She even saw wooden boxes filled with glimmering silver and diamond ornaments, ready to be placed on the walls and probably pillars to add splendor to the place, standing under the walls. What drew her attention however, was the dais at the end of the hall on which stood a throne from black marble with veins of white marble and even more diamonds as decorations. Moonlight, that flowed in through the high windows in the alcove behind the throne gave it an ethereal look, as the silver light danced in the jewels. There was no pony else in here so she didn’t know how long she stood like that, looking at it until...

“Twilight Sparkle! Welcome to my Castle!” hearing Luna's booming voice, Twilight jumped with a small, whiny scream of fear. The purple unicorn turned to her right to see the form of the Princess emerging from one of the shadows, she had a smirk on her muzzle.

“Apologies my apprentice, this was too good of a chance to miss.”

“Just please Princess, don't do that again.” Twilight's breath was still a bit uneven as she spoke.

“Come. Let us settle down in my chambers.” The dark alicorn said turning around and leaving the hall by a passage Twilight could barely make out in the shadows. She immediately followed her new teacher.

It turned out that the passage led to a corridor with series of doors on both sides. It was lightened up with deep blue crystals that emanated a soft, pale blue light. The purple unicorn spotted two sets of double doors, both from mahogany. The first on her left bore a carved ornament depicting vines and stars. Second set was at the end of the corridor also done in mahogany. They were adorned with two silver crescent moons, with their points pointing in opposite directions, above and beneath a full moon. Small stars from diamonds completed the image. The two Night Guards standing on their side was a dead give away to whose room it was behind the doors, if one ignored the ornament on the doors itself that is. With a salute the guards opened the doors for the two mares.

Inside was a bit less astonishing for Twilight. It had the same layout as Princess Celestia's study albeit larger and done in blues, black and silver. A fire crackled in the fireplace.

“This is where a larger part of our lesson shall take place for now. Make thine... yourself comfortable.” As she said that, the Princess sat on one of the larger midnight blue pillows near the fireplace. Twilight following her example sat on one of the smaller black ones.

“Princess... Why here? I mean, why this castle? If you don't mind me asking.” The purple mare asked looking directly at the Princess with curiosity plain in her eyes.

“Ah... You see Twilight, Celestia had a thousand years to imprint her tastes and 'presence' unto Canterlot Castle. Canterlot has become her seat of power. The Solar Throne stands alone in the castle halls and there was no place for mine, not only literally. So I argued with my sister about it until she finally agreed to let me settle on my own terms. Given time this will become my seat of power in Equestria.” The Night Princess paused after her little monologue and looked at the fire with a frown on her muzzle. After few heartbeats she looked again at Twilight looking almost expectantly. The Princess was not disappointed.

“Princess I felt some strange magic around and inside the castle, what is it?”

“Oh? Didn’t you notice Twilight Sparkle?” Luna smiled mischievously at the smaller mare. Her horn ignited with her magic and she levitated a small, hand held mirror in front of Twilight.

It took her few seconds to see what the Princess wanted to show her and when she did, she gasped loudly. She had slitted pupils! But now, something more intrigued here about her eyes.

“Princess, how come my eyes are still the same colour and not amber like the rest of ponies here have?”

“Tis... It is a statement of your power. My Night Vision spell can override the natural colour of ones eyes, if they posses magical power below a certain level. Do not worry thought, it is not permanent. When you leave the castle grounds your eyes shall return to their normal state. I had to cast it so that part-time workers in my service would not be hindered while they work.” Twilight’s answer to this was a nod of understanding.

Princess Luna's horn ignited again for seemingly no reason as she looked slightly behind Twilight.

“Now then my apprentice, tell me what magics do you know. And how you used your magic in your adventures so far.” The Princess said as she took up a cup of tea from a silver platter with her magic, that an unicorn servant brought silently. That startled Twilight a bit as she just noticed the servant mare. Maybe it was because she had a dark coat... She now noticed a pattern in how Luna picked up ponies under her service.

“Then I will start from the beginning. As you probably know I performed teleportation spell when...”

And so it went for the reminder of the night. Twilight telling her stories and the dark alicorn would ask questions now and then.

**********

A/N: There we go another chapter done. I'll probably stick to chapters being a comfortable 2500 to around 3000 words. Also a big thank you for A Fox in Equestria.