• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 12,584 Views, 349 Comments

Apprentice of the Stars - Vohira



What will Twilight do when after the Canterlot Wedding, she finds her knowledge and skills lacking?

  • ...
47
 349
 12,584

Prologue

Prologue

Inside one of the guest rooms in Canterlot Castle a purple pony was sitting with her head lowered before a great window, that showed the sleeping city and the night sky with a full moon. Her dress discarded on the floor near the bed. It was an eventful day for her, but she could care less now that her brother's wedding party finally ended. With her eyes half closed and a heavy sigh, her misadventures of the day all played once again in her mind. What she found most disturbing for her was Princess Celestia's defeat at the hooves of the Changeling Queen. It was something she thought was impossible. Second most distressful thing she discovered was how unprepared she and her friends truly were, when it came to facing foes that were serious about their doings.

Yes, her and her friends defeated Discord but for him it was all a one big game. Even Nightmare Moon didn't take them seriously, allowing herself to be taken by surprise when they activated The Elements of Harmony. Chrysalis was different in that regard she didn't underestimate them, she just didn't take into account how powerful and deep love can truly be.

A quiet sigh escaped her lips.

“Some hero I am...” Twilight grumbled quietly and bitterly. For some time now she thought that they - the Elements, and if they failed the Princess - could handle whatever fate threw at them. The wedding was a wake up call.

But it was still a useless lesson, as Princess Celestia refused and will probably still refuse to teach her the more dangerous spells, being a firm believer of diplomatic solutions. She still remembered that one time she asked to attend the Day Court as a learning experience. It was startling for the then younger filly how some petitioners had the gall to straight out demand things from her teacher and Celestia just reasoned with them in her eternal patience, instead of using her political power as the Princess.

“When one has power beyond that of normal pony folk Twilight, it is better to believe in the strength of an argument than the argument of strength.” Was Princess Celestia's answer, told with a voice filled with sadness, that the filly received when she asked why the Princess haven’t just used her political power to outright deny such petitioners. But the belief in the 'Gentle approach' as Twilight dubbed it, failed spectacularly today.

If she just knew some battle spells things could have gone differently. Sometimes Twilight thought that Celestia wasn't putting enough faith in her subjects and after today... in her. The purple mare could understand it to some degree. Knowledge could sometimes be dangerous, she had to admit that. The accident with her Smarty Pants doll came to her mind as an example... but still.

Suddenly she sat upright as an idea struck her. Her eyes looking up at the moon. She did know a pony that could teach here the more dangerous spells. That pony had to know at least few spell of that kind... she did battle her own sister after all.

But how to approach Princess Luna about it? And should she let her teacher know? Twilight began to fear, that going behind the back of Princess Celestia with this could put some serious strain in their relations if she ever found out. However, would the Princess let her do something like that willingly if she told her? Yes, she should. Even being near pacifistic in nature she would understand, wouldn't she?

With things to ponder now, Twilight stood up and walked to her bed. It was late in the night and she would need at least some sleep if she wanted to get things done properly tomorrow.

**********

When late morning sun rays hit her closed eyes, first thing she did was to roll over on her other side. After some time came the annoying sound of the doors opening and closing. And then the voice.

“Twilight time to wake up.” The voice was familiar as it belonged to a certain baby dragon.

She mumbled something incoherently and put a pillow over her head, she was so tired.

“If you don't get up, there will be nothing left to eat for a breakfast for you.” Spike said before she heard him leaving the room. After she heard the lock in the doors click, her stomach gave a loud grumbling noise of unhappiness. That traitor...

With a wide yawn she got up, looked around and still half asleep got out of her comfortable bed to make use of the in suite bathroom.

Half an hour later Twilight entered the smaller, unofficial dining room that the Castle had. At the table she saw only Rarity. From what she could see, others have already eaten and were now doing other things, probably. When she sat at the table she realized what she had planned for today and her mood changed, from just being unhappy from getting up to being uncertain.

Rarity saw the change in Twilight eyes.

“Something bothering you dear?” The fashionista asked looking the purple mare in the eyes. There was something there but the white unicorn couldn’t decipher what.

“A private matter, nothing too important though. I just need to talk to the Princesses.” Twilight replied between bites of her daisy sandwich.

“Well I heard they both will be here today, to say their goodbyes to your brother and Princess Cadence when they leave on their honeymoon.” Rarity said between her sips of her tea.

Twilight looked up from her sandwich. She knew that Princess Luna didn't normally show herself during the day. It was the best opportunity she will have, if a bit too fast for her. After that short conversation they both enjoyed their meal and tea.

It was almost an hour later when Twilight stood outside the castle with her friends and the Princesses. Before them the newly married couple stood near a golden chariot, it was the one that took Twilight to Ponyville the first time. Cadence was smiling and Shining Armor was looking like the cat that got the canary.

It was almost time for them to depart. One last thing still remained for him to do, besides all the goodbyes he had said till now. Shining Armor walked to his little sister and gave her a hug.

“We will write to you Twili. And behave.” He said with a wide grin.

“I will BBBFF. Have some fun, you really deserve it.”

With that short farewell he along with Cadence stepped into the chariot. And at his sign the two pegasi guards pulled the golden chariot up into the sky.

When they disappeared from view Twilight immediately went closer to the Princesses.

“Yes, my faithful student?” Celestia's motherly voice reached Twilight. When the smaller mare looked up she could still see some fatigue in the eyes of her teacher.

“I would like to talk with you Princess and Princess Luna. Alone.” That news brought curiosity to the Princesses' eyes.

“Then let us talk in my study Twilight, sister.” Celestia said and started to lead the way into the castle. The other two mares following right behind her.

The walk was all in all a short one. When the trio got comfortable on the pillows in the study the Princesses gave their undivided attention to Twilight.

“What is it that thou wants to speak about Twilight Sparkle?” Luna's voice was full of her curiosity.

Twilight started to have second thoughts about all this, when she became conscious of the watchful gaze of both royal alicorns. She took a deep breath and fidgeted with her hooves a bit.

“I want to ask you Princess Luna to tutor me in battle magic, if Princess Celestia is ok with that.” The purple unicorn was now nervously shifting her gaze from one Princess to another. To her Luna looked ecstatic, Celestia on the other hand looked disappointed.

The white alicorn sighed as she looked between her sister and her favourite student.

“Twilight. I didn't teach you it for a reason. Diplomacy and understanding are the way to build Harmony. Not battle.”

“But the battle does happen sometimes and if I had the knowledge the battle with the changelings would go much smoother.” Twilight's instant reply was filled with a bit of underlying anger.

“We... I have to agree sister. Twilight Sparkle is correct.” Princess Luna looked at the smaller pony. New possibilities whirled in her mind as a smile showed on her muzzle and she unconsciously ruffled her wings a bit.

Celestia looked at her sister. She had to admit, the last time she saw Luna so excited, was when she went to Ponyville for the Nightmare Night. Luna now wanted this too it seemed. Also she knew Twilight was right but it hurt her to admit that. Battle magic was dangerous and straining on a ponies psyche. And she knew that if Twilight should have one of her... episodes while training, she could potentially cause a lot of damage. Especially is she was to allow Luna to tutor her. Her sister prided herself on her knowledge of the darker and even forbidden arts, from obvious reasons they had kept it a secret among them.

The older alicorn closed her eyes for a moment, thinking about this matter.

“If I am to guess, you're adamant about it Twilight.” Celestia half-stated half-asked her student. Which was responded with a determined nod from the purple unicorn.

“Then I agree under one condition. You will become Luna's apprentice and officially case to be my student.” It was her last hope of keeping Twilight from pursuing that branch of magic as she knew how much being her protégée meant for the purple unicorn.

What she got from her statement was one incredulous look from Twilight, which reminded her of that time after her entrance exam when she proposed the filly to be her student. Luna on the other hand looked at her disapprovingly. Such underhanded plays were below her, she knew, but she just didn't want to lose Twilight. And she didn't see any other options beside pointing out how unstable and paranoid Twilight could become under the wrong circumstances, but that was out of question. She wouldn't hurt Twilight with that kind of words.

“I... I...” It was all that at the moment Twilight could say. Being the Princess student was almost her second life. And now she had to choose. Seek knowledge and abandon a position that she held for a very long time or keep the status quo. But the bookworm and researcher in her were winning the argument. Also the fact that her mentor gave her such a choice in the first place stirred some unpleasant thoughts.

Twilight took a deep breath and seeing her do that, the Princesses themselves stilled their breaths in anticipation for the answer.

“I choose Princess Luna then. Forgive me Princess Celestia.” Twilight said quietly looking pleadingly at Celestia in hopes she would understand.

Said alicorn just dropped her head a bit with a heavy sigh.

“It is your choice my little pony. I can't stop you.” It was another silent reply.

Meanwhile Luna looked happy. Twilight Sparkle had interested her since the Nightmare Night and now she will have her as an apprentice. She felt indebted to the purple mare and now she had a chance to take care of that... and more.

“I propose sister that we end this meeting. I will take my leave if there is nothing more to add. And Twilight Sparkle, We... I will see you tonight.” After those words Luna left the room.

Twilight in the meantime stood up, and bit her lower lip as she looked at Princess Celestia.

“It's just like another adventure and I can come back to you if I find it unsatisfactory. Princess Luna would not keep me by force if I changed my mind.” She tried to reassure herself as much as she tried to reassure her now former teacher.

“No, but even if you return, you will not be the same.” Celestia said in a low voice leaning forward a bit to nuzzle the top of her head with great care.

When that moment was over Twilight took her leave, thinking about what the future will bring. In her study Celestia watched her, now former, student close the doors. She suddenly found herself deep in one of her memories. Once in the past she saw a once great pony consumed by the forbidden arts when she was not ready to wield them, when dark emotions ran rampant in her. The same words she had spoken today echoed in another castle's room then, more than a thousand years ago.

**********

A/N: If someone likes the story be warned though, I will write when I feel like it so there is no schedule for the updates, it can be days or weeks between them. And now to wait for the grammar nazi to strike again... EDIT: If you have any concerns about the grammar contact me, A Fox in Equestria, I am Vohiras proofreader and take pride in my work.