• Published 11th Apr 2020
  • 2,256 Views, 10 Comments

Attack on Titan - Gojizilla54



When humanity is pushed to the brink of extinction, they live behind walls, protecting them. A group of friends join the military and go on adventures to take back on what was theirs.

  • ...
10
 10
 2,256

PreviousChapters Next
What Needs to be Done Now: Eve of the Counterattack, Part 3


After the news of the test subjects being killed, the Military Police called every cadet to gave them their main housing of the ODM gear. Inside a building, an MP soldier was scanning through a document.

"When did you last replaced your shaft?" asked a male MP.

"Six days ago, after the mop-up operation," answered Sasha.

The male MP looked as a female MP was writing on her clipboard.

"Records confirm," she said.

"Alright, you're next," said the MP.

"Christa Lenz of Squad 42," she said.

"So you're telling me that killing a Titan can actually get you in trouble?" asked a male cadet.

"Yeah, it's crazy but they were valuable test subjects," explained another male cadet.

"Even so, why are they searching for the culprits among us cadets?" he asked.

"Yeah, we're worn out enough as it is, cleaning up the battlefield," said the other.

Armin stood in front of his main housing.

"This is the worst thing ever," groaned Sour Sweet.

"Whoever it was really hates Titans," said Conny.

"But pretty much helped the Titans, if anything," said Armin. "Maybe it helped quench their thirst for revenge, but it was also a big setback for humanity."

"I'm not too bright, so I think I can relate," said Conny. "Before I actually saw a Titan, I seriously planned on joining the Scouts. Now I never want to see one again. But today's the day we have to pick a regiment to join."

Conny looked at Jean who gripped his hand into a fist.

"Is Jean seriously going to...?" Conny thought


Trost District

Last night, the other cadets watched as the bodies of the dead were incinerated by the fire. Conny crouch down and started crying. Jean looked at Conny as he was crying and then continued to look at the fire. Ymir, Christa, Sasha, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Fluttershy all looked down, while Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie continued to watch.

"Everyone's having regrets..." Jean thought. They never would've chosen to be soldiers if they knew what the hell awaited them... Now that they're utterly drained, that's the only thing they can think about..."

Jean walked toward the fire and crouched down in front of it. He then picked up a pick up a piece of bone off the ground.

"Marco... I don't know which bones are yours anymore," said Jean.

He then remembers the time where he found Marco's dead body.

"If I hadn't become a soldier I never would've had to worry about who's next..." he thought.

Jean then remembers what Eren said on the night they graduated.

"Are we just going to throw away all the advances in fighting techniques that cost us tens of thousands of lives so we can be Titan fodder?!"

"I know I have to fight," he thought. "But not everyone is a suicidal maniac like you..."

Then, Jean heard footsteps and turned to see Marco standing next to him.

"I don't mean any offence by this, but I think the fact you aren't strong really lets you understand how the weak feel," said Marco. "And your skill at recognizing a situation as it unfolds gives you a clear grasp of what needs to be done now, you know?"

Jean grasped the bone in his hand and got up.

"What needs to be done now..." he thought.

"Hey guys," called Jean.

Ymir, Christa, Sasha, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie looked at Jean.

"Have you decided which regiment you're going to join?" he asked. "I have"

Jean then gripped his hand tightly.

"I'm... I'm... going to join the Scouts!" he declared.

Jean the started to cry after his declaration.


Jean's hand started to shake and Conny looked back.

"Damn..." he said. "Hey, Annie. What do you think? Jean says he joining the Scouts."

"Jean is?" asked Armin.

'I thought he was going to the Military Police?" asked Sunny Flare.

"Don't really care," Annie simply answered.

"Yeah, you're joining the Military Police ," assumed Conny. "Maybe I should too after all?"

"Tell me, if someone told you to die, would you?" she asked.

"What? No," answered Conny.

"Then do what matters most to you," said Annie. "What about you, Armin?"

"I think I might, if the situation called for it and I understood the reason why," Armin answered. "Not that I'd want to."

"I see. So you've decided," said Annie.

Armin nodded.

"Although it was always my plan anyways," he stated.

"Oh, man. Not you too, Armin," said Conny.

"What about you Sunny Flare?" asked Annie.

"After the speech Eren gave out on graduation, I think I'm joing the Scouts," she replied.

"You too?" sighed Conny.

"Because as weak as you are, you two got guts,'complimented Annie.

"Thanks," thanked Armin. "You know, you're pretty nice, Annie."

"What?" she asked.

"I mean, you seem apprehensive about us joining the Scouts, plus I assume you have a reason for joining the Military Police, right?" he asked.

"Not really," she answered. "I just want to stay alive."


Back at HQ, Levi was riding his horse to gather up his squad. At HQ, Gunther, Eld, and Lightning Dust were sitting on the steps of the HQ.

"In the end, it seems they never found whoever used the ODM gear without permission," said Gunther. "Who could it have been?"

"Beats me," answered Eld. "Right now, I'm more worried about the upcoming rookie solicitation. How many rookies will be willing to join us for the hell of it?"

"My guess is half a handful," said Lightning Dust.

Gunther looked up at Eren, who was feeding the horses.

"Hey, Eren!" he called. "Is there anyone in your class who's thinking of joining us?"

"There is," answered Eren. "Well, there were. I'm not sure about now."

"Assemble!" shouted Levi. "Make ready at once! We're going on patrol!"

"Yes, sir!" shouted Gunther and Eld saluting.

Then, Eren arrived, saluting as well.

"Good morning, Captain Levi!" he shouted.

"Listen. Eren don't fall more than two lengths behind," said Levi. "You're only allowed to wander around because I'm watching you. Don't forget that."

"Yes, sir!" Eren shouted.

"Let's go!" Levi shouted.

His horse neighed and took off. Eren, Lightning Dust, Gunther, and Eld started following Levi.


Elsewhere, many cadets were stationed to wait, while Conny, Armin, Sasha, Indigo Zap, Rainbow Dash, Sugarcoat, and Lemon Zest and Annie leaned against a wall. Then Jean walked towards them.

"Jean! Are you really joining the Scouts?" asked Armin.

"Yeah," he simply answered.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" asked Sasha. "I mean... aren't you afraid?"

"I guess he has the set of balls to let go of the MP," said Lemon Zest.

"Of course, I don't even like the Scouts," said Jean.

"Then why are you joining?" asked Conny.

"It's not because I'm not scared of the Titans or anything like that," Jean stated. "Nor am I gonna say that capable people should join the Scouts. I'm not like that suicidal maniac."

"Eren, huh?" Conny asked. "He's already been a Scout for a while now."

"That explains a lot why he hasn't been with us," said Lemon Zest.

"Cadets!" yelled a man. "Fall in! Face the platform!"

Every cadet then started to head towards the platform.

"No-ones's persuaded me to risk my life, either," Jean added. "This is one time where the decision has to be all mine."

Jean then started to walk towards the platform.

"Come on guys, let's go," said Indigo Zap.


Later as night began to rise, Erwin Smith them came on the platform.

"I am Commander Erwin Smith of the Scout Regiment," Erwin introduced. "Today, you choose a regiment to join. To put bluntly, this is my invitation for you to join the Scouts. I am sure that, after the recent Titan attack, you've already come to know their horror, as well as the limits of your own abilities. However! Through this battle, humanity has gained an unprecedented advance towards victory. I'm referring to Eren Jaeger. He has proven, by risking life and limb, that he's unquestionably on our side. What's more, he has helped us not only foil the Titan's invasion, but given us a way to learn the truth behind the Titans as well!"

Everyone gasped at the news.

"We have a reason to believe that the basement of his home in Shiganshina houses a secret of the Titans that not even he is aware of. If we can just reach this basement, we may able to obtain information that will help us break free from the Titans' century-long tyranny."

"Basement?" questioned Reiner.

"That can't be real," said Starlight Glimmer.

"Things have already progressed this far?" asked a male cadet.

"If we can figure out the Titans are, we can turn the tables on them!" said another cadet.

"However badly he wants new recruits, going public with is too much... Or is this part of some sort of plan," thought Armin. "Just what is the commander looking for?!"

"We will head for the basement in Shiganshina District. However, doing so will require taking back Wall Marai," said Erwin. "In other words, our goal is the same as it's always been..."

Then, Miche and Petra laid out a map of their upcoming expedition.

"Now, that Trost's gate is unusable, we've no choice, but to depart from Calaneth District, further to the east," explained Erwin. 'The entire battalion route we spent four years establish is now useless. During the four years, over 60% of the Scouts have died. 60% in four years. Truly unbelievable numbers. In one month there will be an outside scouting mission. New recruits from your class will take part in it, of which I estimate 30% will die. And in four years, most will be dead."

Everyone started talking among themselves.

"However, whoever prevails will have become a highly skilled soldier who can survive anything," he said. "Knowing this dismal state pf affairs, whoever wishes to put their life on the line, remain here. Ask yourself... if you can give your heart for the sake of humankind!"

Everyone remained silent after his speech.

"That's all," he said. "Those who wish to join other regiments may leave."

Then, a Scout walked next to him.

"Sir. Don't you think that was overly intimidated?!" he asked. "No-one's going to stay behind now!"

Then, a cadet left, so did another, and another. It was like a domino effect, where everyone started to leave, including Annie. Bertholdt saw the amount of cadets leaving and so did Jean, Sasha, Conny, Armin, Mikasa, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Twilight Sparkle, and did the others. Rainbow Dash was surprise to see Fluttershy leaving, she then went toward Fluttershy.

"Hey! Fluttershy!" called Rainbow Dash.

Fluttershy turned around.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Isn't it pretty obvious?" Fluutershy asked. "I don't want to be part of the Scouts, it's scary out there."

"Come on Flutters, grow some balls for once in your life," said Rainbow Dash.

"And what is this "balls" you're talking about? It's death on every corner," said Fluttershy.

She then turned around and continued walking, until she was stopped again by Rainbow Dash.

"What now?" Fluttershy asked.

"Do you remember what Eren said?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"What?" she asked.

"Together," said Rainbow Dash.

Fluttershy remembered the word like it was yesterday.

"What would you think happen to Eren and the others if you broke that?" she asked. "But, hey. It's your choice if you want to leave."

Rainbow Dash started walking back towards the platform, leaving Fluttershy. She stood there for a while. Then, she got the courage and started heading back towards the platform and staying there. Jean, Sasha, and Conny saw the endless stream of cadets walking out. All of them wanted to move, but couldn't.

"Damn. Please... I've already decided!" he thought. "Don't make me hate myself anymore than this...!"

"If I don't walk away now, I'll have to go through that again!" Sasha thought.

"I originally left my village to join the Military Police... Mom won't be happy," Conny thought. "And if I joined the Military Police everyone will finally respect me too."

"But now we know it..." thought Jean.

"How the Titans..." Sasha thought.

"...eat people!" Conny thought.

Later, almost all the cadets have exited, and a handful of cadets stayed.

"If you cadets were told to die, could you?" Erwin asked.

"We don't wish to die, sir!" yelled a male cadet.

Erwin looked down and smiled.

"I see. You each have an outstanding looked about you," said Erwin. "All of you here are hereby accepted as the new members of the Scout Regiment! This is a genuine salute!"

Erwin then made his right hand into a fist and placed it over his chest.

"Give your hearts!" he yelled.

The cadets including: Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Christa, Ymir, Reiner, Bertholdt, Conny, Sasha, Sour Sweet, Sugarcoat, Indigo Zap, Sunny Flare, Lemon Zest, Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and a couple of cadets all saluted. Armin looked around.

"Everyone..." Armin whispered.

"Joining the Scouts... Man, this sucks," said Jean.

"I'm scared! I wanna go home," Sasha cried.

"I don't even cared anymore," said Conny.

"This is going to be scary," whimpered Fluttershy.

"If you're gonna cry, then don't stay," Ymir suggested at Christa.

'You've done well to endure your fear," said Erwin. "You're all brave soldiers. I respect you from the bottom of my heart."


The next day, Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Ymir, Reiner, Bertholdt, Conny, Sasha, Sour Sweet, Sugarcoat, Indigo Zap, Sunny Flare, Lemon Zest, Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash were all at the Scout headquarters at the stables

"Salute!" yelled a Scout with a thin mustache around his jawline and wearing a white bandanna over his head.

All the cadets soon to be Scouts all saluted.

"I'm Section Commander Dieter Ness," he introduced. "And this is my horse, Charrette."

Dieter Ness rubbed Charrette's face.

"Charrette like to pull your hair so watch out if you don't want to go bald," Ness warned. "It's nice to meet you all."

Then, Charrette bit down on Ness' bandanna and pulling it, almost exposing his bald shot.

"You idiot! Stop that, Charrette!" he yelled.

All of them could only watch, while Rainbow Dash and Indigo Zap chuckled quietly.

"Someone do something! Hey!" he yelled.


Our training began the next day. However, it was focused less on actual combat and more on having Commander Erwin's long-range scouting formation drummed into our heads. Oddly enough, although it was a precise, calculated formation, Eren Jaeger's position was nowhere to be found.


Everyone took notes on their position as Ness pointed it out on the rough sketch.

"You rookies will be here, between the wagon defense squad and the scout support squad," pointed Ness. "Here, you will run alongside spare horses and relay signals."

Armin, Sugarcoat, and Twilight Sparkle looked down at their notebooks and wrote some notes.


Elsewhere, the Levi Squad had heard of the of the position and were reviewing it, while Levi was tending to his horse.

"Our special operations squad will be positioned here on standby in the rear of the center rank," stated Gunther.

"That's pretty far back," stated Eren.

"This is the safest position in the formation," explained Gunther. "Not even the supply wagons get this level of treatment. Our goal this time is simply yo leave and come back, though. The expedition is meant to be short, as it's also a test run to see if we can get you all the way to Shiganshina or not."

"I still don't really know what to do with this ability of mine," said Eren.

"Do you understand what the commander asked you back then?" asked Gunther.

Eren looked at Gunther and remembered.

"What do you think the enemy is?"

"Do any of know what he meant?" asked Eren.

"Nope," answered Oruo. "I'd be lying if I said I understand it all. But I..."

Then, Gunther broke in, rolling up the drawing.

"It's possible there's another goal to this operation," he stated. "But the commander decided it doesn't need to be explained to the soldiers. In which case, leaving and coming back is all we should focus on. Have faith in the commander."

"Yes, sir," said Eren.

Gunther got up and walked away.

"That's all for today's training," he said. "Prepare to head back."

The Levi Squad all rode back to HQ.


Back at HQ, Eren was in the stables cleaning up. Outside the stables, Oruo leaned against the wall and was having a drink. Eren walked out and saw Mikasa, Armin, and the rest walking.

"Oh, it's them," said Eren. "Hey, Oruo. May I go and talk to my friends for a minute?"

"Go on," Oruo answered.

Eren then started running after them.

"Hey! Mikasa! Armin! Girls!" he called.

All of turned around at Eren's voice.

"Eren!" called Mikasa.

"It feels like it's been forever," smiled Eren.

Mikasa then grabbed Eren's hand.

"Eren. Have they mistreated you in anyway?" she asked. "Like studying and examining every but of you or putting you through mental anguish?!"

"No, not at all," answered Eren.

Then, angry Mikasa looked at Eren.

"That pipsqueak went way to far," said Mikasa. "Someday I will make him pay."

"Are you talking about Captain Levi?" Eren asked.

Then, them Levi only blinked once and walked away with his horse.

"Hey, Eren!" called COnny.

"Long time no see!" said Sasha.

'How is it going?" Lemon Zest.

"How's the Scouts?" asked Indigo Zap.

"You're all here?!" asked Eren. "If you're all hear... does that mean you joined the Scouts, even you Fluttershy?"

"Why else would we be hear?" Conny asked.

"I wanted to join the Garrisons, but changed my mind the last second," answered Fluttershy.

"You know Flutters, I always saw you in the Garrison not the Scouts," said Eren.

"Rainbow Dash, reminded me that we all have to stick together," she said.

Eren then looked at the others.

"Then, does that mean Jean, Marco, and Annie joined the Military Police?" asked Eren.

Much to Eren's surprise, Jean appeared behind him.

"Wait, you joined too?!" he asked.

"Marco's dead," Jean said simply.

"What did you just say?" Eren asked. "Marco's not dead. You're just kidding around."

"Apparently not everyone can die in a dramatic way," said Jean. "I don't even know how he went out. He died alone."

"Marco did...?" questioned Eren.

Everyone looked down as Eren was horrified at the news of Marco.

"Hey! Gather up rookies!" yelled Ness.

Everyone looked up at Ness and Luke Cis, who was holding the hoodies.

"You're uniforms are here!" he yelled.

"This is going to be so awesome!" shouted Rainbow Dash.

Everyone got their uniforms and hoodies and wrapped it around them. The Scout symbol flowed in the air smoothly. Everyone stood in a line with their capes. Eren watched as they got their uniforms and could see another Scout, he turned around and Marco smiled.


Inside a building, Eren and the news Scouts gathered up to talk about the operation.

"Are you guys really?" he asked.

"Yes, we're taking part in the upcoming operation too," answered Mikasa.

"This is going to be crazy," said Sunset Shimmer.

"And fun!" shouted Pinkie Pie.

"Aren't all the Scouting missions always like that?" asked Sunny Flare. "Expect the fun."

"It's a literal mission into Titan territory," said Starlight Glimmer.

"Hey, Eren!" called Jean. "I heard you tried to kill Mikasa, Twilight Sparkle, Sugarcoat, Indigo Zap, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash when you turned into a Titan. What's all that about?"

"That's old news, Jean," said Rainbow Dash.

"It's not like that. He was swatting at a fly," Mikasa lied.

Applejack looked at Mikasa and shook her head.

"I'm not asking you," said Jean.

Jean then pointed to Mikasa's cheek.

"Actually, Mikasa. That cut on your cheek loos pretty deep," he stated.

Mikasa covered the cut with her hair.

"When did you get it?" he asked.

Apparently it's true. I tried to kill them when I was in Titan form," answered Eren.

"Apparently? Meaning you don't remember?" Jean asked. "So, basically, you never knew about this Titan ability of your until now and you don't have full control over it?"

"Yeah. That's right," answered Eren.

Jean sighed and turned to the rest of the group.

"Hear that, guys? Sounds like this is the current situation," said Jean. "Our lives and the lives of all humankind rest on his shoulder. We'll probably end up just like Marco too. Dead before Eren knew it."

"Jean. What's the point in chastising Eren now?" asked Mikasa.

"Y'know Mikasa... Not everyone is willing to needlessly die for Eren like you," Jean answered. "We should know what we're laying down our lives for. Otherwise, we'll end up hesitating when the time comes We're asking Eren for a guarantee. Show us what you're worth... so we can see if our lives are worth as much."

Jean turned around and walked towards Eren. He firmly placed both his hands on Eren's shoulders.

'So, Eren! We're really counting on you, you hear?!" he asked.

"Yeah," Eren simply answered.


Calaneth District

Sometime later, the bell rang loudly at the Calaneth District.

"Commander, it's almost time," said a Scout.

All of the Scouts were in formation in front of the gate. Everyone was on their horses and some were carrying wagons along.

"We've lured the nearby Titans away!" yelled another Scout. "Thirty seconds to gate opening!"

Petra was next to Levi, while the other Levi Squad members were behind him, ready. Eren then heard two little kids gasping. He looked at a nearby window and saw them.

"It's the Scouts!" said the little girl.

"The marks on their backs are called the Wings of Freedom!" said the little boy.

"So cool!" said the little girl.

Eren smiled at them, remembering the times he was like them, admiring the Scouts.

"This is it!" yelled Darius Baer Walbrunn. "Humanity is now about to take another step forward! Show us what're you're made of!"

Every Scout raised up their hand and swords into the air. Fluttershy took deep breathes to clam herself, while the others looked forward.

"Open the gate!" yelled Darius.

Then, the gate started to slowly raised up. Erwin was in front of the group next to Hange and Miche.

"FORWARD!!!" he shouted.

His horse neighed and all of the Scouts started to rode their horses towards the gate.

"Now commencing the 57th Exterior Scouting Mission!" yelled Erwin. "MOVE OUT!!!"

PreviousChapters Next