• Published 6th Apr 2020
  • 1,611 Views, 16 Comments

The Marionettist - QueenChrysalisForever



Apple Bloom is dead, but Discord has a way to fix this. Family must ALWAYS come first.

  • ...
3
 16
 1,611

Of Marionettes and Sisters


Apple Bloom was dead. She rested in a straw-filled wooden coffin and her mane flowed down over her shoulders, her signature pink bow missing.

Applejack looked up from the coffin, her fur itchy and crusted upon her face, Big Mac’s hoof around her barrel as he held his sister close. Granny Smith sat in a chair nearby, her body sagged against the hoofrests and manebun askew. What were they to do? The accident had been unavoidable, tragic, and yet all Applejack could think was the promise they made their parents the last time they saw them.

“Now you take could care of your sister, ya hear?” Buttercup said softly as she hoofed the tiny infant over to Applejack. “We’ll be back in a few weeks. Protect her and let no harm come ta’ her, alright?”

Applejack nodded. “Of course. You can count on us! Family is everything, we won’t let no harm come to her, eh Big Mac?”

Big Mac shook his head. “Nothing is going to hurt my little sis,” he leaned down and nuzzled against Apple Bloom, who giggled up at him with a bright smile on her face.

“Good, we’ll see y’all soon then,” Buttercup grinned and kissed each foal in turn, then trotted out the door.

“Perhaps I could be of assistance?”

Applejack and Big Mac turned to see Discord behind them. He eyed the coffin, then turned back to the remaining siblings. “W-what do ya’ mean, Discord?” Applejack gulped.

“There is a way you could have your precious sister back with you,” he smiled.

“Nopony can bring back th-the dead, not even you,” Applejack huffed and stomped her hoof on the ground. Big Mac simply nodded in agreement.

“You’d be surprised what some ponies will do, to not lose a loved one,” Discord murmured. “Family is everything to you, is it not?”

Applejack nodded. “Of course.”

“Then let’s strike a bargain, shall we?” He turned around to look at Granny Smith, then gestured to the far side of the graveyard. “Away from prying ears.”

Big Mac looked down at his sister, tears still fresh in his eyes. “Applejack?”

She sighed. “Fine, we’ll talk.”


“Alright, I’ll need an outfit she wore, at least once, unwashed. A cherished item of hers-“

“Would her hair bow work?”

“She wore it often enough, it should be fine. I will also need a lock of her mane. With these, you’ll have your sister back. Oh, and of course, we must talk the bits.”

“I-if we’re not satisfied, can we get a refund?”

“Nopony has ever needed a refund before.”

“A-alright, let’s do this.”


Discord led Applejack and Big Mac down into the basement, dimly lit by a single lightbulb that swayed above them. A long table was the only thing in the room, a closed wooden box about the length of the table on top of it.

Big Mac stayed near the door while Applejack trotted forward with Discord, the two of them stopped beside the table. “S-so this is it?” Applejack asked.

Discord nodded and reached for the box lid. He pulled it off to reveal it was filled with straw. On top of said straw was a wooden pony puppet, its wood a cheery yellow, soft red mane, golden orange eyes that looked so lifelike. Upon the puppet’s body was Apple Bloom’s flower girl dress. The light lavender fabric hugged the barrel closely, her little daisy still wrapped around the side of the dress, while the dark lavender rose rested beneath her muzzle.

“S-she’s beautiful!” Applejack sobbed as she reached out a hoof to run it through Apple Blooms mane.

“It’s not real,” Big Mac sighed and shook his head. “That’s just a puppet!” he glared at Discord.

“Or is it?” Discord grinned, lifted the puppet out of the box, and handed it over to Applejack. As she took it in her hooves, a flash of magic snapped before her and the puppet became soft, supple, the wood now flesh, fur and bone.

Applejack let out tears of joy as Apple Bloom wrapped her hooves around her big sister and hugged her softly. “Oh, she’s perfect, perfect!” Applejack reached into her saddlebag and tossed a bag of bits onto the table, which Discord quickly snatched up. She hugged Apple Bloom in her hooves as she rocked back and forth.

“Yes, she is,” Discord nodded. “There are some rules, however.” He picked up Apple Bloom in one claw from Applejack’s grasp and placed her back inside the box, where once again she returned to being a puppet. “Come, let’s get her home.”


Discord set the box on the kitchen table of the Apple Family home. Applejack eagerly ran to the box and snatched Apple Bloom out of it, the wood flesh once more as she hugged her sister close. “Oh Apple Bloom,” she sobbed as she rocked her close to her.

Discord grabbed one of Applejack’s hooves and led her toward the door once more. “Now, for the rules. Rule number one,” he pulled Applejack outside with him. She gasped as the Apple Bloom in her hooves once more turned back into a wooden puppet. “She must never be brought outside, or she’ll return to this. Kind of an mmm... essence thing. She spent her days in this house, so it is here she can live still.”

Applejack hurried back inside and sighed as her sister returned to her. She hugged her close once again and nodded. “Alright, we can do that.”

“Two,” Discord held up a tiny pocket-watch, its second hand ticking as it moved around the face. Next to the twelve on top, a tiny sliver of blue shadowed over the face. “She can only be out of the box for an hour, then she must be returned for the rest of the day. When the face is completely blue, put her away.”

“What happens if we keep her out longer?” Big Mac asked. His ears fell back slightly at the grin Discord gave him.

“Just follow the rules and all will be well. Abuse something I have made and well, you’ll start losing it. Keep that in your thoughts.” He winked at Big Mac and handed the pocket-watch over to him. “You’ll truly believe she is real, that the real pony has returned to you. You’ll probably even forget coming to me. Like a drug this will be helpful in small doses, but take too much…” he chuckled and waggled his taloned fingers at Big Mac. “Enjoy your time with your loved ones. Of course,” he smiled slyly, “if anything happens I hold no responsibility, as I warned you beforehoof.” He gave Big Mac a grim look, then with that, he snapped his fingers and disappeared.

Big Mac turned around to see Applejack and Apple Bloom in an embrace, the small filly still in Applejack’s hooves. “Ya heard him, right sis?”

Applejack nodded but kept her attention on Apple Bloom as she now tossed her in the air and caught her as she fell back into her hooves. “Of course. We got Apple Bloom back!” She nuzzled against her sister, a happy grin upon her face. “I’m never letting you out of my sight again,” she said as she tapped a hoof to the end of her sister’s muzzle.

“Jus’ be careful sis,” Big Mac warned. Sure he was happy to have Apple Bloom back, but this whole situation ate at him. He was surprised Applejack wasn’t feeling it.


Applejack moved her sister’s things into her own room, all except for the bed. She wasn’t going to make her sister sleep alone, oh no! Whenever Granny would come near, she’d hide Apple Bloom under her bed. Granny wouldn’t understand, she was too old and set in her ways. It was better only she and Big Mac knew their sister was alive once more. It was hard keeping her hidden, with how good Granny was at seeing fibs, but somehow she continued to manage it.


The pocket-watch set on Applejack’s nightstand, the screen fully blue, as Applejack cooed down at Apple Bloom. They sat together on their bed, a large bowl of applesauce next to them. Apple Bloom had a hard time feeding herself now, but Applejack didn’t mind. She would sit there all day feeding her little sis if she needed to. She spooned mouthful after mouthful into her eager sister’s mouth, the young filly always with a grin on her muzzle.

Big Mac trotted by the door and glanced inside, his eyes widening. He dashed inside, looked at the pocket-watch, then picked it up and held it out to Applejack. “Applejack, what you doin’?” he yelled. “It’s all blue, she needs to go back in the box.”

“I’m not putting my lil’ sis in a box,” she huffed and held up another spoonful of applesauce, which the filly eagerly slurped up.

“She’s not our sis, she’s a puppet!” He held the pocket-watch right under her muzzle.

Applejack glared at him and swatted the watch away, it fell from Big Mac’s hoof to the ground, the face shattering as it slid underneath the nightstand. “She’s my sis, not a darn puppet!”

“Well now, what’s gosh darn goin’ on here?” Both their ears pinned back as they looked to the door. Granny Smith stood in front of the door, a frown on her face.

“Well now it’s out o’ the bag,” Applejack snorted and turned to Granny. “Big Mac thinks Apple Bloom is a puppet Granny.” She stood, Apple Bloom riding on her back, to face the door. “Please tell him he’s wrong? She’s obviously real.”

Granny trotted slowly into the room, circling the three of them, before she shook her head. “That’s jus’ a puppet on your back Applejack. What you been eatin’? Not them pears again?”

Applejack groaned and pulled Apple Bloom back into her forehooves, hugging her close. “Yer both crazy! She’s real!” she sobbed as Apple Bloom hugged her back, nuzzling against her.

“You’ve gone crazy Applejack," Big Mac shook his head and turned to Granny. “I know how to fix this. We gotta go outside.”

“NO! That won’t solve nothin’!” Applejack yelled and stomped her hoof.

“Nnnnoope,” Big Mac snorted. He got behind Applejack, Granny Smith behind him and together they pushed the stubborn mare forward, as she fought and screamed at them, she tried to flee the other way when they reached the stairs but Big Mac stopped her. He even grabbed onto her tail and Granny one of her ears as they dragged her screaming down the stairs.

“You sure o’ this Big Mac?” Granny asked around the ear in her mouth.

He simply nodded as they reached the bottom of the stairs. No matter how much it hurt to see his sister suffer, he had to show her the truth. This had gone on far too long.

They paused for a breath by the kitchen table, to either side of Applejack so she couldn’t escape. “I thought I could help ya with this Applejack,” Big Mac said softly. “I thought the puppet would help ya get over her death, but it’s just made things worse.” He looked to the pile of dirty dishes in the sink, a barrel of rotting apples next to the fridge, and a huge stack of unopened mail next to the door. “I can’t take care of things like this, just me and Granny, we need you!”

“No, ya, don’t!” Applejack made one last try to escape, but Big Mac grabbed her tail once more and pulled as Granny pushed, and all four of them tumbled out the front door in a heap.

Granny Smith was the first to make her way out of the pony pile, and reached down to help the others up only to look down in anguish. Before her were three puppets: Apple Bloom connected to Applejack’s hoof, while Big Mac lay next to them. The puppets were nothing fancy, but they were still excellent renditions of the ponies she loved, right down to their sizes. It was then everything came back to her.


A few months ago…

“It was only a few months after Apple Bloom’s death that something came over Big Mac. He was actin’ crazy, somethin’ about Applejack thinkin’ the dear filly was still alive.” Granny sniffed softly as she sat next to Discord. “He showed me this puppet, looked a lot like my little grandfilly, and said it was all the problem. I didn’t believe him at first, thinkin’ Applejack was jus’ takin’ the death hard, but then he hid the puppet from her.” She looked over at Discord, remembering the screams, the yells, the panic as Applejack tried to find the puppet. Dishes and furniture broken as it was tossed against a wall had been scattered everywhere.

“When she couldn’t find it after a few days, she went missin’. Big Mac found her the next day behind the hay loft, swingin’ from a rope,” she sobbed into her hooves. Discord patted her back and nodded in understanding. He held out a tissue for her, and she took it, blowing her nose.

“Thank you,” she sniffed and continued. “Well, it was not long after Applejack’s death, the funeral, that I noticed her hat go missin’. I didn’t think much of it, figured her brother wanted it to remember her. Then I found this under the fridge,” she held out a broken pocket-watch. The face was shattered, but the inner watch still held a faint blue glow. “I asked him about it. Said it was from a fight the two had. Later I couldn’t find it again.”

She looked out at their farm, at the apples rotting and leaves wilting on more than half the trees. “I started to help out, where I could, but things out here kept getting worse and worse. Big Mac was never around, he always hid in his room, talkin’ to himself. When his chores didn’t get done for a week, I finally went to check on him.”

“Let me guess,” Discord grinned. “He had a new puppet?”

Granny Smith nodded. “He sure did! Had an Applejack puppet he doted over, holding the same puppet of Apple Bloom.” She groaned and shook her head. “Found another pocket-watch in his night stand like that one,” she pointed to the one now in Discords lion paw. “’Cept it was glowing bright blue.” She wiped at her eyes with one hoof and blew a loose fringe of mane out of her eyes.

“We fought, I told ‘im he had to get rid of them puppets and help with the farm, but he refused. Said they was no puppet, but his actual sisters! I-I tried to take them from him, to get his flank back to work, but-but…” her chin quivered as the scene returned to her.



“You gotta put the puppets down Big Mac, the farm needs tendin’ to.” Granny stomped her hoof on the floor of Big Mac’s bedroom, eyeing the two puppets. Sure they looked a lot like Apple Bloom and Applejack, but more in a creepy way. “Would your sisters want ya to lose the farm over their deaths?”

“They ain’t dead Granny, they are right here,” he snorted and pointed a hoof at the two relaxing on his bed. “They are fine, the farm’s fine.”

“No it ain’t!” Granny yelled and pointed a hoof at the window. “Lookit’ them trees, they’re dying.”

“Nnnnnope, just fine.” He turned back to his sisters and stepped between them and Grannie. “You ain’t taken them from me.”

“Give em’ here,” Granny commanded, somehow, even in her old age, maneuvering around the bigger stallion and taking the Applejack puppet’s hoof in her teeth. Big Mac’s eyes grew wide and he grabbed onto the Apple Bloom puppet, holding her tight in his forehooves.

“Don’t hurt them Granny,” he pled as he tried to pull them back from her. A tug of war began with the puppets as the rope, Granny holding onto Applejacks other hoof with her own forehooves as she tried to get them away from Big Mac.

With one great pull, Big Mac wrested them from her grip as Granny’s false teeth slipped out and went flying. The momentum of the pull drove Big Mac backwards, where he hit against the nightstand and flipped over it into the window. The glass shattered as he fell through, he and the puppets falling to the ground two stories below.



“I-I didn’t mean for him to fall out!” Granny sobbed to Discord, who handed her over another tissue. He gave her time to cry her eyes out as he patted her back gently. She took in a deep breath, then let it out slowly as she turned to look at him. “S-so I hear you can bring him back?”

Discord nodded. “I’ll need a lock of mane, an outfit he has worn at least once before, but don’t wash it, as well as a cherished item. Of course, we would need to talk bits as well.”

“Of course, I just want them back! I’d do anything for family.”



Present

Granny looked down once more at the puppets strewn across the path, their strings hopelessly tangled at this point, all which was left of her family. Her eyes took in the area around her, their pigs, chickens and other animals dead and rotting in their pens, what had been a promising harvest of crops spoiled with their leaves blackened, but worse of all their apple trees. For as far as the eye could see, dead, naked, trees stood, dead leaves scattered between them all, with not an apple to be found. Granny fell to her knees in despair and sobbed over the puppets of her loved ones, while the sound of chaotic laughing thundered somewhere nearby.

Author's Note:

Muahahaha! I hope you enjoyed my little foray into the horror genre. I don't usually do horror, but the idea for this story intrigued me so much I had to write it! (Even if it took a full year and this contest to actually motivate me enough to do so. XD) Now, to share with you the horror short that inspired the idea (and is what my story is pretty much a parody of). The Dollmaker, a horror short I found on youtube about a year ago, where the 'dollmaker' character just SCREAMED Discord to me, so had to make a Pony version of it.
As usual, comment, critique, and let me know what you think! Did I do a good job adapting it to pony and giving it my own spin on it? Did you like the twist?
Have a great day everyone!

Comments ( 16 )

Wow, this was very good. Wonderful horror twists!

10167736
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D Hehe gotta love them twists right?

Discord isn't as reformed as we thought...

10167786
Nope, he still loves to mess with our beloved ponies. :pinkiecrazy:

Hey there, thanks for the entry. I look forward to reading it!

10168761
No problem! I hope you enjoy! :D

Nice story, however I don't understand the bits part.Why would Discord need bits?

11045621
Thanks! :pinkiehappy:
And of course, to build himself a throne made out of bits! Sure he could just snap them into existence, but where is the fun in that? ;)

Love stories that show that disco over here can still be a b!tch when he wants to :DDD

11214233
Hehehe me too! Sure, might be considered 'reformed' but he is still very good at bringing the chaos when he wants to. :P Thanks for the comment and I'm glad you liked!

Wow, what a nasty Faustian (no, not THAT Faust) bargain.

11361826
Indeed! *cackles* I'm glad you enjoyed!

Login or register to comment