• Published 2nd Jun 2020
  • 242 Views, 9 Comments

What would you give... - redsopine



A young colt lies dying bleeding out as he hears a voice screaming for help

  • ...
 9
 242

To Save One You Love (New Version)

Author's Note:

ok huge thanks to my editor/co writer many might remember from my first fic the pain of loss

https://www.fimfiction.net/user/287861/Apollyon

this will now no longer be a one shot fic lol)

Warm, sunny rays of light beam down over the market as I inspect the many wares that had been laid out by the grizzly merchants that stand behind their counters. The streets, crowded as they are, often have great bargains if one knows where to look; the dazzling sea-blue pearls that are laid out before me had their prices lowered in competition with a neighboring vendor- it would be the perfect time to purchase them.

I'm here to get a gift, after all.

"That'll be one thousand bits, kid." The merchant grumbles, rubbing the pearls between his chubby fingers.

"A thousand bits? What the hell- the sign says one hundred!" I object, pointing it out to him.

"Pearl prices fluctuate. Don't blame me- blame the guy who missed the pearl quota yesterday. Supply and demand, friend." The merchant sets the pearls back into their intricate maple container, before raising his eyes back up to me, "You still buying?"

"No." Grumbling, I spin on my heels to find my friend something else.

The fair had just recently arrived to our town, and with it came all the wonderful food and challenges that made the place special. I've always enjoyed the funnel cakes and jousting competitions that would arrive in early fall, and the costumes people wore were always something I always stopped to admire.

Earlier in the day, I sparred with a young mare, a sword swallower. After I won a match against her, she gave me a sturdily built iron long sword with a long, red ribbon tied around the hilt. It's a nice blade, which had been drawing attention from a number of ponies.

After the battle, I watched a jousting tournament to allow myself some time to recuperate while my friend, Rainbow Dash, went to a pub to talk with some friends. I have no idea where she is now, so I'm left wondering where she could be.

Spying a tuft of a rainbow mane peeking out in a mass of people, I move over to investigate who the owner of the fur could be. Sure enough, Rainbow Dash leans against a vendor's table with a big, smug grin on her face.

"Dashie, what are you-"

"So? Who's next?" Waving at the crowd, she inspects everyone before pointing at a particularly muscular griffon with a disinterested expression plastered over him. "What about you? A hundred bits says you can't beat me in an arm-wrestling match!"

Oh. An arm wrestling match. Of course Rainbow Dash would do that in the middle of the street.

Sighing, I cross my arms, taking care to avoid jabbing myself with the steel bracers that ride up my forearms.

Rainbow Dash is a Pegasus, like me. Her light blue fur paired with a rainbow mane makes for an easy pony to spot in a crowd. I treat her as if she were my sister, we've known each other for so long. I don't really know her other friends that well, though I've spoken with them on occasion.

"Sure." The griffon shrugs, wandering up to her.

"Alright pal, if you wanna wrestle, you have to pay. Winner gets the pot." Grinning, Rainbow Dash bends over to pick up a clay pot filled with silver and gold coins.

"Seems fair. A hundred bits, was it?" The griffon asks, pulling a coin pouch from a leather belt.

"Sure was." Sliding out of her grey tunic into a white tank top, Dash's eyes wander over to me. "Oh! Hey, Red- Didn't see ya there. You could'a said hello or something."

Raising my palm, I wave at her.

"Hey, sis... What the hay are you doing?" I chuckle, watching as she busts out some chalk to dust her hand in.

"Just getting some extra cash for a neat little booth I saw earlier. What about you? I thought the jousting tournament was going for another hour?" Offering the powder to the griffon, Dash leans on one hip, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, about that… apparently one of the competitors was using an 'oomph' spell; they disqualified the victor on the last round, so they're doing a rematch tomorrow." I explain, watching her crack her knuckles before tightening her bra.

"Maybe you should learn some magic. Unicorns aren't the only ones who can cast spells, y'know. Get yourself a familiar, or an enchanted blade, or something." She suggests, taking a seat across from the griffon. The griffon raises a brow, setting his elbow on the table, waiting for her. Leveling her elbow to the table, she grips the griffons claw tightly, "All right. Ready... GO!" She exclaims, before straining to take her opponent down.

"Yeah, but scrolls are expensive, and enchantments are even harder to get a hold of." I remind her, watching as she puts the pressure on her competitor.

"Hrf… why not… save… your money then?" Grunting, she flexes her biceps intensely as she attempts to plant the griffons claw on the opposite end of the table. "Y'know... like you should be doing?"

"Money is meant to be spent- someone might steal it before you even get the chance to spend it. Can't lose what you don't have." Crossing my arms, I watch as she finally brings the griffons knuckles to table. Beaming proudly, I pat her on the back as she takes a moment to catch her breath. "I'm happy regardless of how much money I have."

Standing defiantly, she scoops up the pot before shoving it into my arms with a raised eyebrow.

"What am I gonna do with you, Red?" Shaking her head, she gestures for me to follow her. Shrugging, I follow behind.

"Where are we going?" I question.

"Keep up, slowpoke. We're going to a sparring booth to compete; you're gonna win it." Smiling wide, she skips next to me as she pulls out a scroll. Peeking over her shoulder, I realize who made the parchment- Rarity. It obviously isn't an important spell, though I try to decipher what the glyphs on the paper could mean.

"Wait, so you're enlisting me as a fighter in this sparring competition? Why?" I ask, cradling the clay pot in one arm.

"The grand prize is a long sword of lightning, infused with the power of electrified iron, powered by a pearl encasing a raging storm. You're always telling me how awesome it would be to own an enchanted weapon, and I thought this was right up your alley." She admits, squeezing past a group of absent minded fillies.

"An enchanted long sword! Sweet Celestia, how much does it cost to enter the competition?" I question, suddenly filled with purpose.

"Four thousand bits." She whistles at the number, stretching out each syllable to empathize how big of an investment the purchase would be. "No guarantee we'll even win it." She smiles suddenly, before playfully punching me in the arm, "Good thing you're a spender." She jokes.

Chuckling, we wander into a brightly colored tent filled with earth ponies and unicorns. A few pegasi like us stand by idly, though they're few and far between.

Brushing past a few people, Dash and I make our way to the service counter, where a tired old stallion stares back at us.

"You here to spar, boy?" The elder questions, his voice hoarse and raspy.

"Uh, yes. Yes I am." I nod, bowing respectfully.

"It'll be four thousand bits." He grunts, gesturing to the pot. In response, I pour the contents of the pot onto the table in front of him for him to count out.

The old man pulls out a faded green dagger, before waving it in a flamboyant manner at the money- bright gold sparks sizzle and flash around the currency- and after a few moments, he nods, before scooping the bits into a spare potato sack on the floor.

"Pleasure doing business with you." The man reaches over for a parchment of paper and a jar of ink, before setting them in front of me. "Alright son, I'm only going over this once, so listen up. This sparring match is a bracket based competition, with the victor earning an incredibly rare enchanted weapon. The rules of the match are as follows- magic is fair game in the arena, there are no restrictions as to what magic that you use in there." Looking up at me, he clears his throat. "Because you are incapable of producing magic on your own, you're allowed one 'oomph' spell to help balance the arena. We discourage killing blows, though they are allowed in this arena. If you agree to these terms, sign below." Gesturing to the paper, he waits for me to finish reading the document.

"Wait… there's no quill." I point out the missing quill, before waiting for the man to fetch me one.

"My apologies kid. Some thief ran off with it. Just use a feather, it'll be fine." The man assures me. Sighing tiredly, I pluck a feather from my wing before dipping it into the ink, scribbling my name onto the contract.

"Alright, so when do we begin?" I ask, as the elder scribes an 'oomph' spell with his dagger onto a scroll for me.

"Ten minutes." He grunts back, surrendering the scroll.

Nodding my head, I accept the spell, slipping it into my knapsack for later use. I don't get the opportunity to use spells very often.

"Hey, I'll be joining too." Rainbow Dash weaves past me to access the desk, before finding a comfortable place to lean against it.

"Wait, you're going to compete too?" I question, a sense of worry shining through my voice.

"Sure! Why not." She chuckles, flicking a tuft of fur out of her eyes.

"It's four thousand bits, darling." The stallion sighs, tapping his dagger on the rim of the pot.

Nodding, she holds the scroll from Rarity out, watching as it burns away into dark purple ash, before a plume of smoke shoots up- a coin bag left in its place.

Plucking a note from the side of the bag, she reads it quickly, before rolling her eyes and pocketing it. Sliding the bag closer to the stallion, she smiles widely.

"Four thousand bits, right there."

"Where did you get four thousand bits?" I demand, concerned.

"Borrowed it from Rarity. I'll be paying her back soon." She chuckles.

The stallion raises a brow, before waving the dagger over the pouch. A plume of smoke shoots up, and he nods calmly.

"Wonderful. I'm sure you heard the rules after I spoke with your friend here." He gestures to me with the dagger, passing my feather and ink over to her. She picks my feather up, dipping it into the ink before signing above the dotted line.

"Sure did." She smiles warmly.

"Fantastic. Here's your oomph spell. Use it wisely!" Bowing respectfully, the stallion points down the hall to a board. "The bracket list is updated automatically, and your competition will be displayed there as well. Best of luck." Bowing, the man places a sold out sign on the desk, before disappearing in a burst of bright, flashing white light.

"Well... I guess there's no chance of me talking you out of sparring now..." Shaking my head, she playfully bumps into me.

"Lighten up, Red! If we both try really hard, that sword is ours!" She smiles widely.

"But I don't want you to get hurt, sis." I groan, pushing past a figure in a dark duster with a wide brimmed stetson. The individual floats past me gracefully, keeping it's head low. Turning around in surprise, I narrow my eyes as the figure stops, allowing me to investigate their back. A dark leather belt circles their waist, while a spear is tucked away behind a loose strap of leather slid around the shoulder and waist. The spearhead radiates a sickly purple, flashing occasionally to light up the back of his head. A dark brown tail pokes out from under the duster, the fur on the end being tossed lightly as ponies brush past him.

"It's rude to stare, boy." The figure croaks out hoarsely, before slipping into a crowd of people quietly. Narrowing my eyes suspiciously, I feel like I remember them somehow...

"Weird..." I mumble, returning my attention to Rainbow Dash.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh- Red, c'mere!" Dash squeaks ecstatically, waving me over to the board.

"What? What is it?" I question, jogging over to the board.

"Me and you are going to fight." She smiles devilishly, crossing her arms with confidence.

"What!?!" I panic, pushing past to see for myself. Sure enough, her name is printed clear as day above my bracket. "W-well I forfeit then." I declare.

"What, are you scared?" She teases, "See it as a practice match! I mean, I can handle myself." She chuckles. "Just because I'm a mare doesn't mean I don't know my way around a sword." She reminds me. "I was secretly hoping I'd get to fight you anyways; I want to see if you're really as good as you say you are. You had better not let me down." Waving me over to a door, she reaches for the knob before holding the door for me.

"Ugh... fine, but I swear, if you get hurt I'm never going to forgive myself." I promise.

"Small price to pay for kicking your butt." She jokes.

Rolling my eyes at the lame joke, I reach for one of the long swords laid out on a table, before reaching for a shield. Holding them both out to her, she accepts the sword but ignores the shield.

"I won't be needing a shield, I fight better with both my arms behind my sword." She stops me, pulling her scroll out. Sliding the parchment of paper along the blade, the sword suddenly flares up in a flashy red light, while grey flakes swirl at the tip. The scroll shrivels into an ashy powder, before slipping out between her fingers. "You might want one though, this spell can bend steel if you aren't proficient with your parries." She informs me. "And to be honest, I'd probably bend yours up without it." She challenges, flexing her biceps.

"Please." I scoff, resting on the hilt of my sword. "I'll be fine."

"I'll be fine, Rainbow Dash, don't worry about me!" She teases in a mocking tone.

Rolling my eyes again, I reach for a shield.

"I'm only doing this to spite you." I declare.

"Sure, Red." Smiling triumphantly, she struts to the arena, before turning with a bright smile on her face. "Good luck- I want to see you do your best. Don't hold back on me, all right?"

Pausing for a moment, I consider her proposal.

"Alright, Rainbow. You give your all too." I smile, pumping a fist to the air as the crowd outside cheers for the fresh competition.


The Arena

The sun flare in the corner of my eye disorients me a bit, it's bright shine staining my eyes even after I shut them. The arena is a sandy pit with a few boulders placed on either end on the left and right; the length of which being a two hundred foot diameter circle. On the other end of the arena, Rainbow practices some slashes and jabs, keeping both hands firmly locked on the sword. The faint, pulsating crimson glow of the blade sends chills up my spine. Each swing and jab looks full of purpose and control; it's obvious she uses a sword frequently.

While I scan the arena for high ground, I notice the shady figure from earlier in the stands.

The creature looks up, the wind blowing its duster violently. I can't make out much, but I can just identify a snout peaking out from behind the stetson. The man smiles, dropping the stetson back down to cover what he showed me, before slipping away into another crowd of people.

"The hell is up with this guy? What a weirdo!" I think to myself.

"-spar!" A voice booms in my head as I'm shaken back to my senses. Stumbling backwards in a daze of confusion, I can faintly see Rainbow rushing at me with her sword.

Instinctively, I tuck my wings behind my bag, before readying myself with my shield, front and center.

Dash, surprisingly, seemed to expect me to play defense instead of offense for my first move. Rather than slam the blade into me, she goes to kick my shield, shattering my poise. Stumbling backwards, I watch as the blade rises up to come crashing down onto me. Jumping back, the blade catches one of my bracers, leaving a deep gash in the armor.

Scrambling to regain my posture, I tighten my grip on the sword before readying myself for another attack.

Dash, again, expected me to go for defense again- slowly approaching me, she blocks with the flat end of the blade, readying herself to deflect any attacks I might throw at her. She dons her white tank top, forgoing her leather tunic for less restricted mobility, her leather boots already layered in sand.

I dig my boots into the sand beneath me, weighing my options.

In a sudden spurt of energy, she jabs the sword at me. Instinctively, I jut the shield out to catch her sword, knocking it to the side. Taking the opportunity, I leg sweep her with my right leg, knocking her prone. Tumbling to the ground, she writhes in the sand trying to get back to her feet.

Planting one foot on her sword to keep it firmly in the sand, I stand over her with my sword in turn pointed at her.

"I win." I pronounce, standing over her triumphantly.

Struggling to pry her sword out from under my feet, Dash looks up to me. For a moment, her face freezes in shock, before she lets go of the sword entirely.

"Red, look out!" She screams, her face twisted in shock and horror.

A sudden flare of pain runs up my side, stunning me. Looking down my chest, a sharp, glistening spearhead pokes out of my side, coated in blood. Falling to my knees, I collapse in the sand as the spear is pulled from my flesh with a sickening squelch. Warm, sticky blood pools at my hip, soaking my tunic and leggings.

"Don't move, boy. I see you move so much as a muscle, and you're dead." A heavy boot to the back kicks me flat, into the sand. Rolling over with a grimace, the spear head digs into my chest, before I lay still with a pained expression. Staring up at my attacker, my heart freezes as a timber wolf pulls a hood back over its ears. Staring down at me with a calm and collected appearance, the timber wolf loosens his grip on the spear, giving me some space to breathe. "Been awhile, coward. Looks like you made a new friend. Good for you."

Slowly, slowly, I inch my left hand for my sword. In a burst of adrenaline, I jerk my hand to reach for the blade; just as his spear catches my wrist, pinning it into the ground. Howling in pain, I fall limp, unable to endure any more.

"Bravo, kid." Slowly clapping, the timber wolf carefully steps over me, before kicking the sword away into a crater of sand. "I'd say you almost had me, but you didn't. Now you know I'm not joking, eh?"

Rainbow Dash reaches for her sword in a panic, gripping it tightly before swinging it at his legs. Raising his boot, he stomps on the blade, pinning it to the ground.

"Almost forgot about you." He mumbles, reaching behind his duster for something. Pulling out a jagged steel dagger, he turns to stab her. Rainbow Dash's eyes open wide, a stunned expression painted in them. He stabs her multiple times, holding her still as she attempts to break free. Satisfied, the timber wolf drops her into the sand, her face twisted in shock and pain. "There we are dear," he cooes. Turning his attention back to me, he creeps to my side, squatting to my level before dropping the dagger to the floor, just within reach of me.

"I... I'm going to kill you." I promise, feebly clenching my fists, desperately reaching for the dagger. He raises an eyebrow, before standing back up. The sickly purple on the end of his spear wisps around him, his eyes flaring a bright purple.

"I highly doubt that. You couldn't stop me back then- you won't be able to now." He chuckles, turning his back to me. "It ain't personal- I'm getting paid well to kill an Element of Harmony." He informs me, spinning the spear in his hands, digging it into Rainbow Dash's chest. "Erhaben untoten!" He speaks firmly, as ghostly aberrations claw out from her torso, hissing angrily.

Too tired to object, I watch silently. Tears form in my eyes as I watch the duster on the wolf thrash against each fresh wave of magic, before finally settling still. Time seems to come to a stop as a ghostly specter of a young colt creeps over to me from behind Rainbow Dash, before sitting down next to me.

My eyes slowly wander to meet his face, before I choke, overwhelmed with guilt and grief.

"Looks like nothing changed, Red." The colt whispers, laying down beside me. The sand beneath him sinks, tumbling over itself to assume it's new shape.

"...A-are you... real?" I ask, my eyes half shut.

"Yeah... I am. I've been trapped in that spear for a long time, you coward." The colt stares down at me with a scowl.

"Umbra... I'm sorry." Tears pools at my cheeks, as my saliva is tainted with blood.

"I'm not here to hear your apologies, I still don't forgive you. I may not ever forgive you for leaving me to die. I came to ask a question- what would you give for some pony you care for? Would you give your life for that pony? Or in their time of need, would you flee?"

"I... I've changed." I decide, staring up at him with feigned confidence. "I can't give up. I care about her too much."

"Then save her, Red. Prove to me that you have changed- prove you can summon the courage to fight for those who need you." The colt's specter begins to fade into the sand, before actively dissipating into ash. Time resumes, the duster flailing in the magic wind.

Slowly, I pull myself up from the floor. The gash in my side spurts out a stream of blood, slinking it's way down my leg and sticking to my fur. Reaching down for my sword, the timber wolf spins around, pausing whatever ritual he's performing.

"Well I'll be damned. You're still alive." Chuckling, he spins the spear at me, knocking my sword out of my hands. Shambling over to the blade, I bend over to pick it up before being kicked to the floor again. Laying flatly, another spearhead is stabbed into me, and then another. I'm barely alive.

With slow, shaking breaths, I roll over as he begins to walk away. Feebly, I kick my leg out to stop him. It doesn't do much, but he does stop to watch me.

"You can't be serious." He scoffs. "You're still alive? How?" He questions, readying his spear above me again. Another spearhead slides into me, before being pulled out again.

I feel light headed, drowsy even. A throbbing sensation pulsates through me as my heart tries to accommodate for all the missing blood. Slowly, I begin to fall into a deep sleep.

He's going to kill me. He's going to kill me, just like he did Rainbow Dash... just like he killed Umbra...

I can't believe I'm going to die. After all these years, after all those memories... this is how I go? I don't deserve this. I couldn't save Umbra's life- he would've died no matter what I did.

Another spearhead slams into my chest, punching it's way through my lungs.

I can't breathe. I'm going to die.

I'm going to die.

Comments ( 3 )

10246443
well its up with both original needing a edit and the new version to it

Hey, glad it finally got published! Hope you the best!

10265803
np have a read if both so you see the diffrences

Login or register to comment