• Published 28th Apr 2020
  • 812 Views, 29 Comments

"Bring Trixie the Blue Pages!" - shortskirtsandexplosions



It's a just a simple favor. Surely Starlight is more than capable of doing it. Especially if she's rewarded with Great and Powerful Cuddles.

  • ...
6
 29
 812

01

Skrkkkt-rkkktkkt-sscrkkkttt!!!

Blue static.

Snkkkt-scrkkkk-scrkkkkk-scrkksssttttt!!!

More blue static.

Scrkkkkkkkkkk-kkkkktttt!

The faintest hint of pale white mane hair.

Scrkkkkstttt-“Sta—!”-scrkkkkkkktt!!!

Fuzzy blue fur. Then more static.

Scrkkkkkkkkk-sscrkkkkt-scrkkkt!

“... … ...” Starlight Glimmer's bored eyes reflect a tiny rectangle of fluctuating blue snow. Her nostrils flare with a prolonged, disgruntled sigh.

The unicorn stands in the middle of Twilight Sparkle's massive library in the crystalline heart of the Castle of Friendship.

Before Starlight is a podium, and on its mantle there rests an antique book with a blue-tinged binding. The tome is spread open before her—turned nebulously to the middle of its contents—and a patch of paper on the top right is projecting what can best be described as a moving picture of pure blue static.

Scrkkkkstrkkkktt-scrkkktk-“Bri—!”-Scrkkttt-scrkkkkt-“—ixie!”-Scrkkkkkt-scrkkk-ssckkt!

The mare stifles another groan. Her lethargic eyes drift to the side. Lying directly next to the book is a loose page of paper: blue—just like the tome in its entirety.

With lazy motions, Starlight eventually grasps the piece of paper in her hoof. She carries it over to the book... and lets go.

The page falls like a feather. However—as soon as it makes physical contact with the book—it dissolves in a spiraling motion, accompanied by a trippy noise akin to a multi-dimensional portal farting open then collapsing in on itself. As soon as the reverberations end, Starlight blinks and discovers that the page has been absorbed by the antique book. The noise issuing from the tiny rectangular picture changes, as does its imagery—becoming a mite clearer.

She observes...

Scrkkkk-Scrkkkkk-Scrkkkkttt!!!

An adorable blue face pops into view, eyes wide and grinning from cheek to fuzzy cheek.

Scrkkkkktt-“Sirrus?!?”-Scrkkkkttt!!

“No, Trix.” Starlight drones, eyes rolling. “It's Starlight.”

The face on the page drifts in and out of joyful clarity.

Scrkkk-scrkkkt-“Oh Starlight!”-Scrkkkktt!-“Thank Celestia!”-Scrkk-sccrkkkt-scckkkt-“Finally, a beautiful face beside Trixie's!”-Scrkkk-scrkkkkkt!-“Listen, Starlight!”-Scrkkk-scrkkktt!-“You gotta help Trixie! Please!”-Scrkkkkt-ssccrkkkt-scrkkkkt!-“Feels like a janky old Saddle CD game in here!”-Scrkkk-scrkkk-scccrkttt!-“You remember the Tower of Power, don't you??”-Scrkkkkt!

“Trixieeeeeeee...” Starlight chides, her eyes narrowing on the book. “What have we talked about you checking out mysterious enchanted books inside Twilight's library without asking for supervision?”

Scrrrkkkkt-scrkkkkt-scrkkkt-“Don't talk to Trixie like she's just a foal!”-Scrkkk-scrkkk-“Besides, it's not Trixie's fault!”-Scrkkkkkt-“The book was so cute and blue!”-Scrkkkkkkkt-scrkkkkt-sssskktt-“Trixie's favorite color!”-Scrkkkkt-scrkkkktt!!

“I don't care what you thought of the book, you shouldn't be—”

Scrkkkt-scrtkkkt!-“Did Trixie ever tell you that???”-Scrkkkt-sccrkkst-sssttt-stt!!!

“Yes, Trixie, you've told me time and time again that your favorite color is blue—”

Sccrkkkkkkkkkkkkkt-“Like the color of night!”-Scrkkkt!-“Trixie wishes she could distill it into a drink and pour it down her throat!”-Scrkkkkkt-scrkkt!

“Trixie, knock it off!” Starlight slaps the podium, making the imprisoning tome rattle. “This is super... super serious!” She gnashes her teeth as she glares at her friend through the static. “You messed around with stuff you shouldn't have and now you're trapped in a stupid, dusty book!”

Scrkkkkkt-scrkkkt!-“But Trixie's in the book now!”-Scrkkkkt-scrkkkk-scrkkkkkkt!-“Not so stupid and dusty anymore, eh?”-Scrkkkkt!

Starlight sighs into a facehoof. “I need to put a bell on you. I swear...”

Scrkkktt-scrkkkt-scrkkkt!-“More like a Great and Powerful Manuscript!”-Scrkkkt-sccctt!

“Trixie, can you tell me exactly what happened to get you in the predicament you're in now? Like, did you simply touch the book? Or did you read some incantation on the pages that led to—”

Scrkkkt-“Is Trixie right?!”-Scrkkkk-scrkkt!

“YES! SURE! WHATEVER!” Starlight flails her forelimbs as she barks at the book. “It's the Great and Powerful Manuscript! The Fabulous and Jaw-Dropping Tome! The Dazzling and Spectacular Memoirs!”

The page bears the hint of a blushing face and pouting lips.

Ssssscrkkkkkkkkkt-“Well you don't have to be so cheeky about it.”-Scrkkkt-scrkk-scrkkkt!

“Ennnghhhh...” Starlight whimpers into her forelimbs again. “...if she wasn't so cute. I swear to all that's astronomical—if she just wasn't so damned cute...”

Scrkkk-scrkkkk-scrkkt-“Anyways, Starlight, relax.”-Scrkkkt-scrkkkt-“And bring Trixie the blue pages.”-Scrkkkkt-scrkkkt!

“Buh?” Starlight lowers her forelimbs and glares dumbly at the book that is talking to her. “Blue pages?”

Scrkkkkkt-“Yes.”-Scrkkkst-“Bring Trixie the blue pages.”-Scrkkkkt!!

What blue pages?!?!?”

Trixie's wide eyes fly briefly towards the picture frame before backing up with a demented grin.

Scrkkkkkt-scrkkkt-“The blue pages, Sirrus!”-Scrkkkt-“I mean Starlight!”-Scrkkkkt-scrkkkt-“Pleeeeease? Pretty please! Bring Trixie the blue pagessss!”-Scrkkkt-scrkkkt!!!

Starlight's muzzle scrunches. “Who's Sirrus?”

Scrkkkt-scrkkkt-“Are you even listening to Trixie?!?”-Scrkkkkt!!

“Trix, I'm trying.” Starlight winces, rubbing a hoof against her fuzzy lilac ear. “But—to tell the truth—I've had tinnitus that made more sense than you right now.”

Sccccrkkk-scctt-ssscttt!-“What's not to understand?!”-Scrkkktk-“Bring Trixie the blue pages!”-Scrkkkt-sctkkk!

What blue pages?!” Starlight shrugs. “I haven't a clue what you're talking about!”

Sccrkkkt-scrkkkst-scrkkkt!!-“Sure you do!”-Scrkkktk-scrkkkkttt!-“Trixie's Great and Powerful Best Bestie is super smart!”-Scrkkkkt-scrkkkktssttt-ssttt-scrkkkt-“Besides, didn't you just bring one blue page to Trixie just now?-Scrkkt-scrkkktt!

“... … ...” Starlight fidgets on all four hooves. “I... uhhhh... maybe...?”

Scrkkkt-scrkkkkt!!-“Bring Trixie the blue pages, Starlight!”-Scrkkkt!

“Will you stop repeating yourself! Just—” Starlight drags a hoof over her stretchy face. “I had so much... so much that I had planned to do today...”

Scrkkkkt-scrkkkt!!-“Come onnnnn! I'll give you Great and Powerful Cuddles if you do!”-Scrkkkt-scrkkkt-“Don't you like Great and Powerful Cuddles?”-Scrkkkkt!!!

Starlight's tail flicks. Her lilac cheeks redden as she looks towards the far end of the library. “Those... are the b-best kind of cuddles...”

Scccccrkkkt—“Then bring Trixie the blue pages! Pronto!”-Scrkk-scrkkkt!!

“Alright alright!” Starlight grits her teeth. “I'm going!”

Sccccrkkkt-sscctkkt-“Quickly! Before they port Trixie to the Amigoats!”-Scrkkkt!!

Starlight picks the book up and slaps it shut.

Thap!

Scrkkkk-sckkkkt-“Mrmmmfmmfmmfmmmffffff!!!-Scrkkk-scrkkk-scrkkkt!!

Starlight shoves the tome into a saddlebag, fits it to her body, and turns about with a huff.

“Now...”

She blows a tuft of mane hair out from before her determined face.

“... … ...where the buck do I even start?”