• Published 18th Dec 2011
  • 5,145 Views, 56 Comments

A First For Everything - Luna's Slumber Party - Sonic Rainblast



Is a slumber party the best approach for a determined Princess Luna?

  • ...
5
 56
 5,145

Part 1

Celestia's sun, the glorious spectacle of the daytime period that had bathed the daily livelihood of Equestria with its perpetual sunshine and energy, was returning back to its rest in the horizon. It was the moon's turn to rise and dominate the altering sky; it was Princess Luna's time to saturate the country with her night sky once again. The dark blue hues painting the sky, the pearly sphere at its zenith, and the countless jewels enriching the scene: all of these aspects described its magnificence. It was another beautiful display by the moon goddess, and Princess Celestia couldn’t have been prouder of her little sister.

Despite the solitude and life-affecting drawback of being banished to the moon for a thousand years, Princess Luna had caught up with perfecting her biggest royal duty of befalling her night over the land faster than her big sister had expected. Of course, Celestia was glad to be relieved of the duty of awakening both sun and moon, but she was admittedly skeptic about her little sister taking back control of the night after a millennium of zero practice. She was once not positive that Luna would maintain the proper balance of the heavens after no contact with pony civilization.

"Dear sister," Celestia spoke to her sister as they took a promenade through the peaceful royal gardens. "I respect your sheer enthusiasm, but I still believe you're not ready to retake accountability of raising the night. Not just yet."

"I plead that you reconsider, Celestia," Luna tried to reason with her. "Even during my exile on the moon, the royal task of providing the night over Equestria was still endowed within me. I have returned with nothing impure in my heart thanks to your student and her friends, and I should reprove to our subjects that I am perfectly capable of casting my half of the heavens. Think about it, sister: what kind of royal figure would I be if I let your attending of both day and night go unchanged? If this prolonged any further, how would that make me appear?"

Celestia had never thought of that. If critics were to discover their sun princess is still raising the moon even with Princess Luna present in the land, they would depreciate Luna. They would regard her as an inefficient asset to the heavenly customs of Equestria, and Celestia would feel terribly guilty for having them dispraise Luna's reputation as the moon goddess.

"I suppose you do make a valid point there," Celestia sighed retrospectively. "And what kind of figure would I be to you if I were to shun your responsibilities from you?"

"A caring but overprotective one," Luna answered playfully, her smile growing now that Celestia was meditating her persuasion. "Your concern for me is one of the many things I've missed from you, but it's time for me to take back my place in Equestria society. It’s time for me to reclaim my rightful place as arbiter of the night. Besides, I’m still graced with the power of the moon. It calls for me, Celestia, and I will not forsake it. I’m sorry if this may sound harsh to you, but it’s my duty and my duty alone.”

Princess Celestia didn’t know how to feel; astoundment and happiness had affected her equally. Never would she have expected such adamancy from the indigo alicorn who was once envious of the lively attention in the past Celestia herself received. Celestia realized that Luna had accepted the morality of the nighttime, and she wanted to make it up for the bad behavior she displayed before. Smiling with a slow nod, the white alicorn had understood her point.

“And here I thought I was the wiser one,” Celestia chuckled. “It’s obvious that you are determined to set this straight. You are the goddess of the moon, and you have convinced me that you are capable and confident of taking the night back into your hooves. I won’t stand in your way; I will give back your half of the time-changing.” Celestia nuzzled Luna gently and whispered, “I have faith in you.”

“I’m glad you reconsidered,” Luna smiled, “and I will be at the absolute best of my royal duty.”

If Celestia had declined Luna's ferocious self-confidence, she herself would have never viewed the true beauty and essence of the night sky that Luna displayed. The white alicorn stood out on the balcony connected to her royal bedroom, gazing at the wonderful work of her worthy little sister.

“You've impressed me, dear sister,” she thought with a content smile on her face. Princess Celestia could feel the serenity emanating from the cool atmosphere, and a deep inhalation took some of it in. Celestia chuckled to herself; it was a little foalish of her to doubt Luna and her steadfast affirmation, to deprive her of rapturous fulfillment, especially after viewing such a spectacular night like this. “Even after centuries of detachment from life, you still have that breathtaking caliber,” she lauded in thought.

Celestia now gazed at the approaching shadow figure of Princess Luna, and a warm nuzzle was waiting for her. The indigo alicorn came into appearance and landed in front of Celestia with complacency written all over her face.

“Well done on this wonderful night, Luna.” Celestia gave her that warm nuzzle. “You've done an excellent job on fulfilling your greatest royal task; you have truly vindicated yourself.”

“Thank you, sister. That means a lot to me.” Not only was Luna happy about her proficiency at bestowing the night upon Equestria, but also she was happy to feel the comforting warmth and to hear how Celestia was gratified. "But I hate to say I told you so," she added with a smirk.

"Indeed you have," Celestia chuckled.

“It’s great to have the feeling of redemption as well,” Luna said. facing the vast land that was sedated under her tranquil night. “I know that some ponies out there have believe that I’m . . . good.”

“I believe so as well, but you have always been good little sister. From within." The sun princess gestured to Luna’s chest with a hoof, indicating where her goodness would always be even under overwhelming, negative feelings. Luna smiled weakly and playfully pushed Celestia's hoof aside.

"It's true," she giggled.

"Then I guess I've excelled in showing my true colors, too," Luna affirmed, puffing her chest out with righteous pride.

"It appears so," Celestia nodded. "However, that's only one aspect of yourself you've excelled in."

Luna relinquished her posture and blinked quizzically at her sister as the subject began to turn around. "What do you mean?"

“I mean that there are lots of other things that can express your character. You can develop more attributes of yourself besides your divinity and your lavishing endless time on books.”

“Are you saying I’m a bookworm?” Luna narrowed her eyes.

“I never said that,” the white alicorn weaved through the question breezily. “But what do you call one who spends over half a day in the library studying a variety of books small and large while wearing secretarial glasses?”

Luna didn’t have an immediate response, so she scowled at her sister; Celestia always knew how to shrewdly turn things around, even if she was teasing. “My . . . my curiosity got the best of me, that’s all. In correction, I was doing assiduous studying. That one book containing directions and histories of advanced magic seemed very intriguing, thank you very much. And for your information, I find myself quite attractive with glasses on.”

“Why? Did you look in a mirror?” Celestia tried hard to stifle her incoming laughter.

“Why, yes in fact,” Luna replied intently.

“Did you find yourself more appealing?”

“Why, yes I did.”

“Did you compliment on how ravishing you looked?”

“Why yes I–––“ Luna realized she walked into Celestia's dissembled trick and blushed lightly. "Celly!" she whined. "Not funny!" She stamped her hoof and crossed her legs in a fit. Celestia released her laughter and walked to her flushed sister.

"Oh, lighten up, Luna. I'm only teasing, and that's what big sisters do." She nudged her to loosen up, still chuckling. "But my point is that I would like for you to work on something else as a prospect of your personality."

"Such as?" Luna asked, raising an inquisitive brow.

"Oh, I don't know," Celestia said tantalizingly. "How about your . . . social life?"

"My social life?" Luna repeated her sister's evocative words.

"Mmmhmm. Why not work on developing interaction skills by socializing with other ponies?"

Luna wasn't quite sure whether to accept Celestia's suggestion or not. Celestia was and always would be the more social type. Whenever it came to special occasions, festivities, celebrations, soirees, or any average party, she would freely indulge on intermingling with her subjects. As for Luna, she would speak to no more than two or three of them no matter how casual or friendly they seemed. Either she rarely found anything to talk about, or she was too diffident to even reply.

"I honestly don't know, Celestia," Luna replied solemnly. "You and I both know how . . . introverted I am, and you are always the more amiable one between us."

"That doesn't mean you can't improve in being sociable with others. Interacting with others can lead to a myriad of fun things. Isn't there at least one activity you have in mind that involves having fun with others?"

"Well . . ." Luna delved into her memory bank for anything she had interest in. "As a matter of fact, there was this information book about something that had me piqued. I think it was about some kind of party. It explained about having makeovers, ghost stories, games, and this . . . s'mores food that I've never heard of."

Celestia giggled; she knew where this was heading. "Let me guess: Slumber 101?"

"Yes! That's what it was called," Luna exclaimed.

"And I think a slumber party is a lovely way to start your path on association with others."

"That's actually a great idea," the indigo alicorn acquiesced. "I can follow everything the book says, and my first slumber party will be a success. But who shall I invite?"

"I prefer inviting Twilight and her friends," Celestia recommended. "I know they all will be more than honored to be guests of your very own social event."

Of course! The six meritorious ponies who all revived Luna's good spirit from the perverse chasm that was Nightmare Moon are perfectly suitable as guests. True, only familiarity aided the moon goddess whenever the young mares were thought of, but possessing the feeling of being comfortable around them was what really mattered. As pragmatic as it seemed, Luna would undoubtedly enjoy associating with Twilight and her friends and maybe even harvest a cultivation of mutual bonds.

"Then it's settled. I shall go make the invitations." Luna went for her quarters, but before she took a step, the white alicorn grabbed her shoulder to stop her.

"I also prefer that you prepare them tomorrow whenever you have free time. It's getting late, and we should get our rest. Don't get too excited," Celestia said in a moderate tone, but it didn't suppress the gladness she had for her little sister’s predilection of starting a social occasion of her own.

"Oh, of course," Luna said, consigning the idea for later attending. "Then I shall head to bed." This time Luna gave her sister a heartwarming nuzzle, and Celestia complied in the same manner. "Good night, Celestia, and thank you."

"Good night, Luna, my dear little sister," Celestia returned the favor. The moon goddess went forth to her quarters, gently opening and closing the exiting door. As soon as a thick air of quietude fell upon the sun goddess, she sighed softly in contentment. Luna's high hopes were certainly contagious; Celestia could hardly remember the last time she was this happy for her sister, but this beneficial endeavor would be fostered regardless.

And when Luna developed a beneficial endeavor, her big sister would always be there to make things quite . . . memorable. A furtive smile adhered to Celestia. This was simply swell.

"Mmmhmm. A special slumber party for Luna indeed."



Luna, after entering her bedroom with a décor reflecting her nature, desired to gaze from one of her grand windows (her quarters didn’t have a balcony like Celestia’s). Through the glass she viewed the masterpiece of her sky. Every sparkling star, the natural color of the night, and especially the beautiful moon: they all symbolized the renown of Princess Luna. Self-pride swept through the indigo alicorn again as she admired it all. She exemplified her good spirit over Equestria with her cool night, and in time she would do so again with her expedition into socialization. Luna couldn’t wait for tomorrow to come.

“I can’t wait for this weekend’s slumber party, but I hope nothing will go wrong.”

Luna’s ears perked up. She was hearing a wish distant from Ponyville. A soul was still awake, and unbelievably it was the recognizable voice of Twilight Sparkle talking about a slumber party. Despite being bemused by this, Luna kept listening.

“Boy did Applejack and Rarity made my first one rather interesting though, but it was a good thing they reconciled. Thanks to them it was a success, but I want this next one to be even better with all of us. I really wonder how things will be with Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy this time, but I hope it will be so much fun overall.”

A wide smile adhered to Luna’s face. This was simply perfect.

“Consider your wish granted, Twilight Sparkle.”