• Published 20th Mar 2020
  • 2,110 Views, 15 Comments

Breaking Barriers - TheGamerBrony



This is the story of how Gallus became the first non-pony royal guard

  • ...
10
 15
 2,110

A Special Gift

Early the next morning, Gallus woke up and prepared to go to Canterlot. After he packed up all of his belongings, he met Gabby in the living room.

“Morning, Gallus!” Gabby greeted.

“Good morning” replied Gallus.

“Would you like some breakfast before you leave for Canterlot?” Gabby offered.

“That would be wonderful. Thank you” Gallus said as he took his seat and Gabby went back into the kitchen to make breakfast.

Several minutes later, Gabby walked to the table carrying a fat stack of pancakes.

“Here you are, Gallus! A nice, tall stack of chocolate chip pancakes with extra syrup and whipped cream. Just the way you like it!” Gabby said as she presented the stack of pancakes to Gallus.

“Looks yummy! Thanks Gabby!” Gallus said as he tied his napkin to himself to wear it like a bib and began digging right in.

A few moments later, Gallus had finished the entire stack of pancakes. He wiped his beak with his bib.

“Wow! You sure were hungry! I can’t believe you ate that whole thing!” Gabby exclaimed.

“Yeah, but it was so delicious!” Gallus replied immediately before he let out a hiccup.

“Sorry about that” Gallus said sheepishly before hiccupping again.

“Are you okay, Gallus?” Gabby asked.

“Yeah, I am. Just a little- URRRRP!”

Gallus belched and covered his beak with his talon in embarrassment, blushing.

“Excuse me” he said, prompting the two to laugh.

“Anyways, I should probably let you go so that you can make it to the train station on time” Gabby said.

“Yeah, I guess I should be going. Thanks for breakfast, Gabs!” Gallus said as he took the bib off and eft Gabby’s house.

Gallus was too heavy to fly, so he decided to walk to the train station.

“Man, I’m stuffed! But that was a very good breakfast! Now to get to the train station. Hopefully, Grampa Gruff doesn’t find me. Probably still sleeping at this time of day” Gallus said to himself.

Gallus made it to the train station with no incident and several minutes later, his train arrived.

“All aboard! Next stop, Canterlot!” the conductor announced.

Right on que, Gallus boarded the train and fell asleep in his seat.


Several hours later, the train arrived in Canterlot. Gallus woke up, got up to stretch a little, and got off the train. This was his first time in Canterlot, so he had to ask for directiions to Twilight’s kingdom. He went over to the information desk.

“Excuse me, can you tell me how to get to the Crystal Empire?” Gallus asked.

“Of course! It’s a couple miles west of here. You can’t miss it. It’s the really shiny building” the information guy replied.

“Thanks!” Gallus said as he flew westward to Twilight’s castle.

After a few wrong turns and getting lost, Galls finally made it to Twilight’s castle…three hours later. But hey, at least he made it! As Gallus was about to go inside, a royal guard stopped him.

“Halt! Identify yourself!” the guard ordered.

“Gallus the Griffon. Princess Twilight told me to come here” Gallus replied.

“Okay. Hang tight for me, Gallus. I’ll check you in” the guard said as he went in to inform Twilight of Gallus’s presence.

“Your majesty, Gallus the Griffon is here” the guard announced.

“Send him in” Twilight replied.

The guard waved at Gallus to tell him to come into the castle. Twilight became very excited when she saw her former student.

“Hi, Gallus! How are you?” Twilight cheered as she hugged the griffon.

“Fine, I guess. Did you want to see me?” Gallus replied.

“I did. We can talk over dinner. This way” Twilight led the griffon to the dining room.

Gallus didn’t know how to feel when he heard Twilight say the word “dinner”. It’s nice that she planned a big feast for him, but he was still a little full from eating that big stack of pancakes this morning. Twilight held the door open for Gallus and he went over and took his seat. This was a big dinner that he was about to have. Five turkeys, ten servings of mashed potatoes, twenty servings of macaroni and cheese, fifty pizzas, thirty hams, a huge platter of sushi, twenty-five helpings of meat and cheese lasagna, thirty-seven sausage links, twenty-nine chocolate cakes, and a 20-liter bottle of Pony Cola. He was shocked!

“A-are you going to eat?” Gallus asked.

“No, of course not! I planned this entire feast just for you, sweetie pie!” Twilight replied.

“Are you crazy? I can’t eat all of this! I had a fat stack of pancakes this morning and I’m still full from that!” Gallus retorted, getting defensive with his teacher.

“Y’know, if you drink enough soda and if you let out a big enough burp, that should make some room” Twilight replied.

“Burp? In your presence? That would be extremely uncouth!” Gallus replied, not feeling comfortable with the idea of burping in front of a princess in such an elegant dining room.

“Don’t worry about it, Gallus. My royal guards burp and fart all the time. I won’t be offended” Twilight assured her favorite griffon.

“Well, okay, here goes” Gallus said as he hesitantly reached for the Pony Cola and looked at Twilight before taking a drink.

Twilight winked at him, which made Gallus a bit more comfortable. He put the bottle up to his mouth and began guzzling down the soda.

As soon as Gallus’s body had enough, he stopped drinking. Suddenly, his stomach began gurgling, churning the food currently in his stomach into gas.

“I think it’s working, Princess. But I think you would want to protect yourself. I can feel a big one coming up!” Gallus announced.

“Don’t worry. I’ve gone through worse things than griffon burps” Twilight replied.

Suddenly, a huge cloud of gas traveled up Gallus’s esophagus and made his cheeks puff up to the size of Pluto. He looks to Twilight again. She grins and makes a thumbs-up gesture with her wing. Then, he opens his beak and lets the gas out in the form of a huge, warm, humid, deep belch. Feeling embarrassed, Gallus’s entire face turned hot pink as he covered his beak with both of his talons.

Twilight giggled as she walked up to the griffon. “Gallus, like I said, it’s okay. No need to feel embarrassed. How do you feel?”

Gallus took his talons off his beak and stopped blushing. “Well, I feel less full. Thanks for the tip, Princess”

Twilight smiled at Gallus. “Anytime, my dear! Enjoy your meal and I’ll check on you in a bit. And feel free to burp as much as you need to!”

Gallus gave the princess a thumbs-up before he began to eat.


Twilight left the dining room to check for final preparations to Gallus’s new room, which currently includes a racecar bed, a nightlight, several pictures that include him with his friends, school pictures, a flat-screen television, a PonyStation 5 with several video games, a desktop computer, a toybox, a Captain Thunderhoof poster (donated to Princess Twilight by Corn and Peg), a bookshelf with a wide assortment of books, videos (including some classic cartoons donated to Princess Twilight by Sandbar and his family), and board games, and of course, his replacement diploma, framed and hung up on the wall. There’s no way Gallus could rip that one up! All in all, his room looks like the average boy’s room and it looks finished.

“Perfect! I can’t wait to see the look on Gallus’s face when he sees his new room!” Twilight said to herself.

Soon, Spike walked over to her. “Twilight, I know that Gallus was malnourished during his childhood, but do you really think it’s healthy to be feeding him all that food?”

“That shouldn’t pose a problem, Spike. I want Gallus to be plump, but not too plump. It’s kinda like the feast Starlight and I gave him when he first came to the school” Twilight replied.

“And then Rainbow Dash got mad at him because he was too fat to do anything during PE” Spike added.

“He tried his best. Besides, Rainbow was nice enough to donate her time to help Gallus lose the weight. And he was very grateful that she did that!” Twilight replied.

“Well, okay then. How’s Gallus’s room looking?” Spike asked.

“It looks finished. I can’t wait until he gets to look at it! He’s gonna be so happy!” Twilight cheered.

“He sure will! Better than living in Griffonstone again!” Spike replied.

“Yeah. I’ll be back, Spike. I’m gonna check in on Gallus” Twilight said as she walked back to the dining room to check on Gallus.


Twilight entered the dining room to see Gallus slurping up the last sausage link like a piece of spaghetti. “How are you doing, Gallus?”

Gallus burped and said “Excellent! Wow, I can’t believe I’ve already ate three quarters of this whole dinner! Hey, can you pass me the bottle of soda. I gotta make more room”

Gallus guzzled more soda and let out a monster belch. “Ahh, that was good! But I still got the turkeys, hams, and cakes left! Wish me luck, Pri-URRP-Princess!”

Twilight chuckled. “Good luck, Gallus. I’m proud of you”

As Twilight made her way out of the dining room, Gallus called her name. “Miss Twilight?”

Her attention drifted to Gallus. “Yes, dear?”

“Can you bring me some more Pony Cola? I’m almost running out” Gallus requested.

“Already? Okay, I’ll bring you a 50-liter bottle this time!” Twilight said as she reached for a 50-liter bottle of Pony Cola from the fridge.

“Here you go!” Twilight said as she gave the bottle to Gallus.

“Can you set it on the table so I can reach it when I need it? Thanks” Gallus said.

“I’ll be back in twenty minutes to check in on you” Twilight said as she left.

“Ok. See you later” Gallus replied.


Twilight walked to her throne. Spike was sitting on his throne, adjacent to Twilight.

“Man, Gallus sure loves to eat!” Twilight remarked.

“I bet. Seems like he’s having fun in there” Spike replied.


Twenty minutes later, Twilight went back to the dining room to see Gallus having finished everything and is now drinking the entire bottle of Pony Cola.

“Wow! Done already?” Twilight said, feeling surprised.

Gallus nodded as all the gas in his bloated stomach traveled up his esophagus and escaped his beak in the form of the biggest belch that Gallus has ever let out. His belch was so loud and so big that it caused an earthquake within the castle: a burpquake.

Twilight and Gallus were shocked. Especially Gallus, who never thought he could burp like that. A royal guard had to come into the dining room to see what was going on.

“Is everything alright in here? I think I felt an earthquake” the guard asked.

“Everything’s fine. I’m just a little gassy” Gallus replied.

“A little? That was the loudest burp I’ve ever heard! What did you eat?” the guard replied.

“Everything” Gallus said.

And everything was right! Gallus ate the entire inventory of food in the castle and as a result, his belly is so swollen, he looks like he’s two years pregnant. He was so fat, he managed to grow a belly button (cartoon logic at its finest!). When the guard found out what Gallus meant when he said “everything”, he whimpered and was even on the verge of tears. He knew that he and the other guards wouldn’t have anything to eat for a while.

“Don’t worry, Houston! I’ll find a way to keep you fed” Twilight assured the guard.

“How? There’s no food left in the castle!” Houston cried.

“Look. I’ll write a shopping list and you’ll be responsible for getting groceries. Does that sound good?” Twilight asked.

Houston let out a disappointed sigh and said “Okay, Princess” as he walked out of the dining room.

“So, what’s the real reason that you called me here?” Gallus asked.

“I’ve been aware of your situation before you came to the school. I knew immediately that something was wrong, but I never found out what it was until the end of you first semester when you admitted to sabotaging the tree with the goo powder. Originally, I was going to have you stay over break as a punishment, but when your friends agreed to stay with you, I decided against it, partially because you’ve gone through so much already. Punishing you for doing something that I don’t partially blame you for wouldn’t be too fair, even though another part of me thought it was” Twilight started her lecture.

“I wouldn’t have minded staying over break. That would’ve been better than staying in Griffonstone” Gallus chimed in.

“Not really. I would’ve had you in the detention room all day for two weeks completing a big, fat, boring packet. No one to talk to, you would’ve had the entire school to yourself, but I would’ve watched your every move from home. If you did anything bad, regardless of the infraction, you would’ve been permanently expelled” Twilight continued, feeling more and more ashamed of herself as she went on.

“Sheesh! That would’ve been not fun! But you knew why I did the deed, right?” Gallus added.

“I know, and that was the biggest reason why I cancelled the punishment. I didn’t want you to go through all of that. I was too busy trying to find out who did it instead of listening to your concerns. I’m sorry, Gallus. I’m partially to blame for the incident. If I took the time to listen to what you had to say, you would’ve never sabotaged the tree. Now that you know my deepest and darkest secret, can you find it in your heart to forgive me?” Twilight asked.

Gallus sighed. This was a hard decision that he was about to make. One part of him is relieved that Twilight forgives him for the Hearth’s Warming incident, but another part of him feels betrayed. He would’ve faced expulsion for what he did? Seriously? Another part of him even feels the guilt from that night coming back. He seriously regretted what he did that night and given the chance; he would’ve gone back in time to stop himself from doing the deed. Heck, had he not stepped in to stop his friends from arguing, their friendship would’ve ended right then and there, and that probably would’ve caused the school’s reputation to crumble, and that would even cause the school to shut down. And it would’ve been all his fault.

A thought bubble forms above his head, depicting Twilight being angry at Gallus for her school shutting down. Celestia becomes aware of what Gallus has done and he is immediately considered a danger to Equestria and he is sent away to Tartarus.

Gallus snaps out of his gaze when he hears Twilight calling his name.

“Gallus, have you made your decision?” Twilight asked.

Gallus sighed again as he pondered Twilight’s request. “Listen, Twilight, I can’t thank you enough for inviting me into your school, for all the things you’ve did for me, the feast you’ve prepared for me tonight, and for everything else. However, when you’ve brought up the incident that happened that one Hearth’s Warming, I’ve had a bunch of feelings swirling in my mind. Relief because you’re forgiving me for the deed, betrayal because of what you were thinking my punishment would’ve been, and guilt because of what I did. I almost ran the school’s reputation into the ground! I kinda feel like I shouldn’t be here right now! If anything, I should be sent to Tartarus where I belong!”

“Gallus, don’t be so hard on yourself!” Twilight exclaimed.

“No, go ahead! Send me to Tartarus!” Gallus yelled.

“Gallus, I’m not going to send you to Tartarus! That’s where the worst creatures go and you’re not a bad creature” Twilight assured Gallus.

“Oh yeah? What about the other bad things I’ve done besides the tree incident? Nearly getting into a fight with Yona, skipping class, pulling pranks that have sent others to the hospital, cheating on numerous tests and quizzes, arguing with teachers and staff, lying, stealing, sneaking into the girls locker room, and there’s probably more things I’ve done that warrant at least a suspension!” Gallus retorted.

“Some of that stuff, you’ve never done. And the stuff that you did do, that was during your first semester. After that first semester, you’ve changed drastically, and the school shaped you into the gifted young man you are. And I am so proud of you!” Twilight exclaimed.

“Look, we’re getting way off topic here. Although that punishment you would’ve had me do was unfair, the things that you’ve done for me like the birthday parties, giving me the extra ticket to Rarity’s fashion show, the Hoofalulu trip with your family, tonight’s feast, were very generous of you. And that makes me hard for me to get mad at you. So, final answer…” Gallus paused to look up and smile at Twilight. “…I forgive you!”

“Thank you, Gallus. It feels so good to hear you say that. Now, let me get to what I’ve been wanting to say for you for a long time. You were an exceptional student at my school, and might I say, the best student I’ve had in all my years as the Princess of Friendship. You’ve come a long way and it was a pleasure to have guided you through this long journey. We’ve had our ups and downs, but nothing has stopped you from expanding your interest in the magic of friendship. You have lots of potential, Gallus. You could break barriers and become the first griffon in a very long time to believe in and care about friendship. I know that you vow to never return to Griffonstone under any circumstances and your friends are all busy with their future endeavors and are unable to accommodate you, so I have provided an alternative solution that I wish to present to you now.” Twilight said as she showed Gallus an adoption certificate.

Upon seeing what Twilight is showing him, Gallus was shocked. His beak was agape, and his talons were covering his beak.

“Oh my gosh! This is it! I finally have a forever home!” Gallus thought to himself.

“Your graduation gave me a perfect opportunity to prepare this for you. Welcome home, Gallus Griffon-Sparkle!” Twilight exclaimed.

Gallus was crying tears of joy. “Twilight, I-I don’t know what to say, I’m speechless!”

“It’s okay, Gallus. Take as much time as you need to take it all in” Twilight replied.

“You’ve done so many great things for me, but this! This is huge! This is life changing! You just gave me a forever home! Thank you!” a choked-up Gallus cheered as he gave his new mother a big hug.

Twilight was the only mother Gallus has ever had. He has always thought of his friends and teachers as family, but now, Twilight gave him a real family!

“Now, let me show you to your very own room!” Twilight cheered.

Gallus took a moment to reflect on what Twilight had just said. “My room. My room. My very own room. An actual bedroom. Just for me” he said to himself as the two left the dining room and made their way to Gallus’s room.


“And here’s your room, Gallus” Twilight announced as she pointed at his room.

Gallus’s eyes became stars. Small, watery stars. “My…room!”

Gallus walked inside the room and looked around. “Wow! This is better than the friendship school! This is all for me?” he looked at Twilight.

Twilight nodded in response.

Gallus let out an excited gasp when he saw the racecar bed. “A racecar bed? I’ve always wanted one of these!” he cheered as he climbed into the bed and drove it as if it was a real racecar. He began playing in it and made racecar noises.

Soon, he got out of the bed and walked up to the entertainment system.

“Oh my gosh! A PonyStation 5! That’s another thing I’ve always wanted! I wonder what games I got! Fortneigh, Captain Thunderhoof: The Game, Twitterponies: The Game, Castle Mane-ia, Neighgo City, Princess Simulator, this is incredible! And what’s this? A toybox?”

Gallus went over to the toybox and opened it.

“*gasp* Neighgos? I love Neighgos! Captain Thunderhoof action figures, squirt guns, building blocks, there’s so much stuff in here!” Gallus cheered. Now, he’s starting to act like Silverstream.

Gallus ran up to Twilight and gave her a big hug. “Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you so much! I love you!”

“You’re very welcome, Gallus. Mommy loves you too!” Twilight replied.

“What? Who’s mommy?” Gallus asked, looking at her confused.

“I’m mommy!” Twilight replied.

Gallus giggled and said “No, you’re not! You’re Twilight Sparkle!”

“You’re right, but since I’m your mother now, you’ll have to call me mommy or any other synonym. That’s the politest thing to do” Twilight said.

“Why’s that?” Gallus asked.

“Actually, I don’t know. Just get used to calling me mommy, okay?” Twilight replied.

“Okay, but I might mess up sometimes and call you Twilight by mistake. I remember when Starlight Glimmer replaced you as headmare, I would call her Headmare Twilight out of habit. And I’d call Trixie Starlight!” Gallus replied.

Twilight chuckled. “I remember that. It took you a while to finally get their names right! Anyways, it’s getting late. I think it’s time for you to go to bed”

“My new racecar bed! Vroom vroom!” Gallus replied.

“That’s right, Gallus! You get to sleep in your new racecar bed tonight. Do you want mommy to tuck you in?” Twilight replied.

“Um, I don’t know what that means, but sure!” Gallus replied.

“Okay. Climb into your bed” Twilight replied.

Gallus immediately did as he was told. Such a good boy!

Twilight went into Gallus’s room to put his covers over him.

“Mommy, thanks for adopting me” Gallus said to his mother.

“You’re welcome, Gallus. Thanks for coming to Canterlot to be my son. Sweet dreams.” Twilight replied before she kissed Gallus good night, turned on the night light, turned off the regular light, and left the room.