• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 1,290 Views, 49 Comments

Portal : Princess Practicum - Undyne Devotion



When one door closes, another opens. Same can be said about portals.

  • ...
1
 49
 1,290

The Basics

When one is forced to walk down a bleak dark hallway, she is given precious nanoseconds to contemplate her life. The sound of leaking pipes, a creak of the foundation, or the fleeting scent of something sweet.

These sensations would craft a vision.

The flash of turquoise light, the feeling of being frozen in time.

Asleep but still conscious in an endless loop of emptiness.

The silhouette of a metallic tube, enough to fill her soul with dread.

Out of nowhere, she plummeted off a platform to the sterile floor below. The thud of her fragile frame echoed across another blinding room, her hooves sore with a sharp stab of pain.

"My apologies, I hadn't completed the staircase to this room." The voice gave a delicate sigh.

Near instantly a staircase lifted from the floor to the platform.

The mare flashed a quizzical glance towards the ceiling, at least this rude little voice apologized. She lifted up to her hooves, shaking off the numb pain from her body swiftly. What test could be awaiting her?

"Before we begin, I guess you'd like to know your name?" The voice asked as if awaiting a reply.

"..." The mare yawned with a sense of purpose.

"I have you cataloged as Student #1498." The voice sounded as if she read info off a clipboard.

"..." The mare shrugged half-heartedly, it was a fine name she supposed.

Though #314 would have been truly beautiful.

A fluorescent sign flickered to life on the nearby wall.

Portal Test .01.

"I must leave you to complete this test alone." The voice trailed off.

"But first a surprise." A sudden jolt of red magic shot down from above, the mare struck by it with a loud clack.

"Surprise!" She giggled.

"Focus on anything you'd like to see shift away, I think you'll find it quite moving." The voice abruptly vanished.

The mare glanced around the nearly empty room with curiosity. Her hooves clicked across the sleek metallic floor, an oversized red button bulged from the center of the room. Placing her hooves atop it a click could be heard, the door to her right powering on as it opened.

Smacking her lips she spotted a translucent tube near the door. Cantering over she tapped it, a large silver box suddenly plopped down with a thud. Focusing on the odd box she watched it levitate upward coated in multicolored magic, her eyes slow to guide the object towards the button.

With a dull thud, she dropped the box upon the red surface.

The door flung open as a hue of white magic covered the exit.

"Congratulations! ~ Please go to the next testing area." The voice urged the pony forward.

The mare curiously stepped in front of the odd barrier, her hoof extended out to touch it.

"Don't be afraid this is merely a Vaporization Barrier, to prevent naughty students from carrying objects out of other testing areas. ~ Such objects as our patented Counterweight Cubes." The voice spoke in a very informal tone.

"I assure you it's adequately safe." The voice coldly explained.

The mare nodded, cantering through the mist like barrier with ease.


"On a side note, The Vaporization Barrier has been known to vaporize parts of students on rare occasions. ~ Such as horns, eyeballs, tongues, and complete skeletal structures." The voice added flippantly within the next room.

The mare scrunched her muzzle annoyed by the delayed information.

Portal Test .02.

"Please note that portals can only be applied to Magic Conductive surfaces." The voice added with a playful tune.

The mare noticed this room was devoid of the sickening white color, instead it was a musky dull grey covered by orange rust. An icy chill covered the tiny space, full of uncertainty.

One simple square of white on the wall, directly across atop a high platform stood the door.

Another square sat on the ceiling to her left corner, one last square directly below it.

The mare thought this test was actually intriguing, her horn set ablaze to fire a blue portal on the wall. With a triumphant snort, she flung an orange portal to the ceiling, now it was time to fly.

A sensation she assumed would feel romantic.

Galloping through the blue portal, she plummeted out of the orange at a dangerous speed. With closed eyes she quickly shot another orange portal to the floor, soon flying at top speed through the blue and crashing into the exit door.

The mare rolled over on the floor, her body wracked with pain.

Yet her heart overflowed with excitement.

"Hmm, that could've been completed with more grace. ~ But I suppose nopony is perfect, please drag yourself to the next test." The voice snorted unamused.

The mare grinned sore but not discouraged.


"Since you seem to enjoy falling from vast heights, complete this next test for another gift. ~ Gifts are objects given to those we love, or in some cases to pay off those we despise...but more on that another time." The voice spoke in a quirky melody.

Princess Test .02.

Another odd metallic pony trapped dead center in the room.

Her hoof wedged under a massive marble boulder, this room back to being distractingly white.

"Hello." The pony spoke with zero emotion.

"..." The mare sighed in reply.

"Your friend's hoof is trapped under a boulder. ~ Do you go get help, or…" The voice began to rattle along.

The mare fired a blue portal under the boulder, quick to add an orange off to the corner wall. The boulder suddenly rolled out of sight, and out of mind.

"Oh, well that was surprisingly inventive of you! ~ Ahem, carry on… I suppose?" The voice sounded slightly annoyed by the outcome.

The mare smiled full of smug satisfaction. Quick to canter towards the exit, the bot lifted her hoof to wave goodbye.

"Thank you." It spoke gratefully as the mare vanished.

The floor under the boulder lifted suddenly upward, the massive object tossed directly atop the bot with a loud crunch.

"I forgive you." She groaned softly, eyes powering down for good.