• Published 15th Mar 2020
  • 370 Views, 2 Comments

The Root Of All Fears - RazgrizS57



Nightmare Moon has been banished to the moon for a thousand years. But her essence can still wander, and she’s found that the dreamscape is a wonderful place to occupy her time.

  • ...
5
 2
 370

Chapter III

Rickety scaffolds traced along the inside of a large circular room. The ceiling had yet to be installed, so here at the top, the thick marble walls acted like the railing to a balcony, allowing one to look over the rest of the huge construction site. But on the western side, all the working ponies and wood and stone peeled away to open air and a vast landscape below. Rolling hills and plains, dipping valleys and flush forests, the tiny specks of scattered towns; practically the whole of Equestria was on display. The sun was in the midst of its evening descent, casting everything with light shadows and bringing out the darker, warmer colors. It was picturesque.

If she had any faith in her artistic abilities, she might have been brazen enough to try and paint it. But it seemed like she cursed every brush she touched, and this wasn’t exactly the time or the place, either. She glanced down at her hooves placed on the inner edge of the wall, and her eyes immediately jumped to the other side, the other edge. It was an ominous horizon where there was no scaffolding on the other side to stand on. There was only a sheer vertical drop into open air for a couple thousand meters. She knew because she’d inadvertently peered over that edge four times today, countless times before, and undoubtedly there’d be even more in the future.

Fortunately, a growing weight in her chest convinced her not to look over this time. She swallowed a lump in her throat and cautiously backed away, only to bump into something else. There was a nerve-racking creak and she hopped forward, twisting around to stare at the wooden railing of the scaffold. She gave it a nervous prod and it shook easily in her grip. No doubt if she used a little more force, it’d pull right out.

She glanced over the side into the room—she’d never know why she continued to do this—and the floor screamed at her from so very far away. Granted, there were taller, larger places being built around here, but this wasn’t short by any means. She had to be at least six meters off the ground!

A stallion sat in the center of the room amongst scattered tools and other construction materials, waving up at her to come on down. She almost didn’t see him by how quickly her head started to dizzy, but she shook the feeling away and motioned back that she was coming. She turned and just about ran down the scaffolding, a twisting maze of ramps and ladders that left her breathless once she reached the solid floor.

“You need to stop moving so fast,” the stallion said. He sat on a slab of marble, rolling up a scroll in his hooves. “Somepony’s going to die, and I’d rather it not be you.”

“I will when you do, Ashlar,’” she muttered, straightening her legs.

Ashlar gave her a confused look. “Since when do I move too quickly?”

“A few nights ago,” she said with a wink, pulling a tie out of her mane and letting it fall free. She ran a hoof through it to air it out and wiped a bead of sweat from her forehead, watching with glee as the brown of Ashlar’s coat turned bright red around the cheeks.

He crinkled the scroll in his hooves and glared at her. “Hey, I’ve been getting better at it!” he barked. He slapped the marble he was sitting on. “I’d like to see you lift one of these on your own, Lintel!”

She placed a hoof on her breast and grinned. “Honey, we’ve been over this,” she teased. “You’re the big strong stallion who does all the heavy lifting, and I’m the perfectionist who glides everything into place.”

“Oh, I sure do a lot of heavy lifting,” he quipped, exaggeratingly rolling his eyes.

She blew a tuft of her mane out of her eyes. “What was that?”

“Nothing...” he singsonged, glancing up and away to the orange-purple clouds dotting the sky.

Lintel wrinkled her nose and forced herself to frown. A silence followed, she glaring at him and he deliberately looking away, until Ashlar ruined it with a snort. She followed, her features cracking into a stupid grin, and soon they were both laughing. She stumbled forward, running another hoof through her mane to try and cool herself further. Her giggles stopped when she realized just how much she stunk from the day’s work, but that didn’t stop her from sitting down right beside Ashlar. Nor did it stop him from hugging her close and kissing her on the cheek.

She giggled again and nudged him away. “What was it you wanted?” she asked.

“My company’s not good enough?” he said, chuckling to himself. “Anyways, it’s late. I figured we’d have a bite to eat and go home.”

“Can’t we finish up now?” she asked, motioning to the couple of other marble slabs. “We’re almost done. I’m tired of this place and would much rather not come back tomorrow.”

“We’ve still got time. I’m sure we’ll be needed elsewhere after this, some place not hanging over the side of the mountain,” he teased. His horn lit up a deep blue and he floated a small wood box wrapped in cloth in front of them, dangling it in front of them like it was strung from a hook. “Besides, I brought some of my famous macaroni sandwiches...”

Her stomach warmed and growled eagerly, causing them both to laugh again. “Alright, alright,” she said. “But you owe me.”

“Food isn’t enough?” he asked, pulling open the container. The warm scent of melted cheese wafted up to her, and she happily took one with her magic. He took out the other, set the container aside and said, “Speaking of which, do you know where the kitchen is around here?”

“Doubt it’s complete.” She tore a bite out of her sandwich. “Why?”

“Trying to figure out what this room is supposed to be,” he said. He took a few bites out of his own and then unrolled the scroll with his hooves. She scooted over a little to let Ashlar set it between them, revealing a schematic of the castle’s interior layout, or at least what it would look like when finished. “Nopony tells me anything,” he muttered.

She swallowed. “Not really our business to know.”

“How can you say that?” he asked, throwing his hoof out. “We’re building the place!”

“We’re just workponies,” Lintel answered. “Besides, this room is too tall and too... unconventional to be a kitchen.”

“I was thinking it’d be used as storage. Looking at all these scaffolds, you can easily stick a bunch of shelves in here.”

She glanced around, settling on one of the two large windows overlooking the horizon. The setting sun peeked at her through the other, making her feel like she was being watched.

“I’ve never heard of a pantry, no matter how oversized, having windows,” she said. “Or a balcony,” she added, gesturing towards the space between. “Looks more like a bedroom.”

“I thought that, but look here,” he said, tapping a hoof on the schematic. “This room is nothing like those in the rest of the castle, and those are already finished. And it can’t be the Princess’ room, because I seriously doubt just any worker would be allowed to build her room. Besides, if it was for her alone, why would they put another just like it next door?”

She brushed his hoof away and saw where they were, or at least what this place would become. This room was one of a pair, much like shorter, fatter turrets that jutted out of the main body of the castle. They were out of place, not following the assembled patterns in the castle layout, held out over the mountainside like candles in an outstretched arm.

“Maybe they’re conference rooms, then?” she mused. “I mean, it doesn’t look like there’s supposed to be a bathroom.” Lintel took another bite of her sandwich and a second later nearly choked as the realization hit her. “Wait, we get to build another?!” she exclaimed, spitting crumbs.

Ashlar paused to wipe his face. “I don’t know if it’ll be us,” he muttered, returning to his food. “There’s like a thousand workponies here. Granted, not all of them are building the castle, but I do know that the important sections are just about done. It’s no secret Princess Celestia wants to move in sooner than later.”

“Aye, that she does,” came a new, raspy voice.

Lintel turned her head around, where a tall, old unicorn stood in the room’s doorway. His features were wrinkled with age, but that didn’t hinder his friendly appearance. A pair of saddlebags were draped over his back, seemingly ready to burst and break his spine, but he shouldered them like they were nothing.

“Bricklay!” Ashlar chirped, his mouth full of food. “What’re you doing here so early?”

“Early? Why, the sun’s darn near set for goodness’ sake!” he said, chuckling as he approached. “How’s it going for you, lad? Mother packed you dinner again, I see.”

Ashlar’s face fell flat. “You know I moved out of her house months ago.”

“Just pulling your leg, lad,” he said, snickering to himself. He turned and gave her a polite nod before saying, “I’ll leave you two lovebirds alone to finish your meal now. Don’t mind me, just got to make sure you’re building this place up to snuff.”

“Inspecting our work already?” Ashlar asked. He tapped a hoof on the marble they were sitting on. “You know, we’re not quite done yet. Still got a couple of blocks to put in.”

“I can tell, but we’re a bit behind schedule and the bosses are getting restless. Just got to appease them so we can get paid, y’know?”

She gave him a look. “If they want us to be done faster, they could send more workponies to help.”

“Granite won’t remove itself,” he quipped, walking over towards the scaffolds and floating some instruments out of his saddlebags. “You know they’re also building a city here on this mountain, lass. Most of the available hooves are out there carving plateaus so that can get underway. Now, this might come as a surprise for you, but the Princess is a patient pony.” He winked. “She don’t mind letting us take our sweet time to make sure her castle is absolutely perfect! Now, everypony else on the other hoof...”

“They’re already moving in though,” Ashlar commented. “The staff. I think one of the Princess’ advisor’s offices is already set up.”

“Aye.” He pressed a level against the wall and took some notes. “Filling her up as the space becomes available. No kingdom’s complete without a castle, after all. I guess that’s why the bosses are so on edge. They’re more eager to get the Princess moved in more than she is, I tell you!”

“Makes sense,” Ashlar said. He shrugged, returning to finish off the rest of his sandwich. His horn flickered briefly to warm it, and he offered to do the same for her. But she continued to stare off at Bricklay, her face twisting in thought as she watched him climb a level on the scaffolds.

“Bricklay,” Lintel said, “we’ve been wondering. Do you know what room this is supposed to be?”

“I’d better!” he chirped, running a hoof along the seamless wall. “Helped the Princess design the castle myself, after all. Why else do you think I’m the one to make sure it gets built to spec?”

“Can you tell us what kind of room this is, then?” she asked again, rolling her shoulders. “Just curious.”

He rubbed his chin with a hoof. “You know, I’m not really supposed to,” he admitted, glancing her way. “Oh, but Lintel, I’d do anything for you. You’ve always been like the granddaughter I’ve never had. And Ashlar! You’re the grandson I’ve never wanted!” he yelled with a laugh.

Ashlar frowned. “Thanks, Bricklay.”

“Pulling your leg, lad!” The old stallion paused to catch his breath, and for an instant his horn flashed. There was a pop and a burst of light, and suddenly he disappeared from the scaffolds and reappeared right beside them. He glanced around the room before he leaned in close and asked, “Can you two promise to keep a secret?”

“Of course,” Lintel said, and Ashlar nodded in agreement.

“Well then!” Bricklay said, “What if I said that this is Princess Celestia’s room you two are putting together?”

“Seriously?!” Ashlar exclaimed, and then immediately started to choke on his food.

Lintel let out a small laugh. “I figured as much,” she said, finishing off the last of her sandwich.

He coughed. “You did not!”

“It’s the truth!” Bricklay said with a smile, turning away back towards the scaffolds. He looked back at the two as he wandered away, saying, “The roof might not be all the way on, and there still might be some things to put together, but the castle’s foundation’s all in place. The fact her room’s so far out meant it had to be built last, so that’s why everypony’s so antsy to get her moved in.”

Ashlar took a deep breath. “I... wow. I didn’t just, I mean, I didn’t actually think the important parts of the castle would be built by just anypony.” He paused. “Why us, though?”

“Chance?” Bricklay offered, stepping onto the scaffold’s lower floor. “And what makes you think the Princess’ bedroom is so important, anyways?”

He tilted his head. “Why wouldn’t it be?”

“She certainly doesn’t think so, I can tell you that. Maybe she’s just modest,” he said, returning to his work inspecting the walls. “Maybe she wants to put faith in us ponies. Maybe she just doesn’t think she’s that important? I don’t truly know. I’m not the Princess so I can’t say.”

Lintel blinked. “Why two rooms, though?” she asked, placing a hoof on the schematics. “There’s an identical one that’s going in right next door.”

“What do you mean?” Bricklay asked, turning her way. They looked at each other, a subtle gesture that let her see the slight skepticism in his eyes hiding beneath the lightheartedness of his features. A second of unresponsiveness pulled that look further out, until several moments passed and what he showed turned to pity.

Bricklay lowered his head. “Ah, you don’t know, do you?”

“Know what? she asked

He hummed, glancing up towards the sky. Lintel followed and her head snapped back, for all she saw was where stars plastered against the night. The moon was beginning to peek over the rim of the walls, spying down on her. She wondered when it got so dark, and she felt a cool chill of nighttime air sneak down her neck. She shivered, but remained seated, quietly watching the old stallion for what he’d say next. She reached over and slowly placed Ashlar’s hoof with hers.

Bricklay bit his lip. “I suppose that’s understandable. Many decades ago, well before either of you were born, there was an... incident, with the Princess. Nopony likes to talk about it much, and there’s plenty of reasons why, so don’t go blaming yourself if you don’t know.”

She slunk back. “Don’t know who?” she caught herself asking again. How’d she figure it was a ‘who’ he was talking about?

“You see,” he continued, “I was just a young colt at the time myself, but sixty or so years ago, our Princess—”

Whatever he said next was drowned out by an ear-shattering snap. Her skin crawled and she practically jumped into Ashlar’s hooves, watching helplessly in dismay as the scaffolds suddenly buckled. The twisted wood and metal crumpled in on itself, splintering and crashing right on top of Bricklay, burying him under the carnage and upheaving a massive cloud of dust.

Her blood ran cold and for a moment, everything became still. But before she could even pull herself to react, an unsettling groan leaked into the air and the whole room started to shake. The intensity quickly grew violent, and the marble walls around them began to rip like paper and fray. Tall spires around the site she could barely see before became fully exposed as the walls blocking them crumbled, only to topple themselves. The ruined scaffold jumped and fell as the floor beneath it gave way, dropping it and the wall behind into open air, and exposing a pitch-black night.

A particularly sharp jolt tore her out of Ashlar’s hooves and threw her back onto the ground. She glanced back up and her heart flew into her throat as the slab she’d been sitting on tipped over and fell into the night. She caught sight of a pair of hooves grasping the edge, and Ashlar threw himself off the slab towards her at the last instant. His hooves scraped for a solid hold but found only loose rock, and he quickly lost his grip and fell.

“Ashlar!” she yelled over the rumbling, and she dove forward, landing right at the newfound ledge. Her horn flared to life and she grabbed Ashlar with her telekinesis, casting a bright pink against the colorless background. All she saw was the stallion in her hold, and his two white, emotionless eyes.

“Lintel...” he whispered, but she ignored him and slammed her eyes shut.

“Somepony help me!” she cried, but no one could hear her. At this point, she hardly heard herself. Her hooves scuffed the floor as she tried to back up, but it was fruitless; she couldn’t even lift her head over the strain she was experiencing. All the strength she had was being poured into her magic and into her legs to keep them stiff. She couldn’t budge an inch backward without losing her grip on him. She was stuck, and the weight of that realization only ground her further.

“Lintel...” he said again, a little more forcefully and as clearly as a bell.

“Ashlar!” she gasped. Her mind was barely keeping up with the speed of her heart. “Use your magic!” she yelled over the noise. “Grab onto me and help me pull you up!”

The entire castle groaned angrily, trying its best to trip her. The walls around her continued to collapse, but miraculously all the debris skipped right by her and over the edge.

“Open your eyes,” he whispered.

And she did.

And the base of the mountain and the world below stared back at her from a distance so impossibly far away. Her head gravitated towards the open air and her stomach twisted, but she shut her eyes again and turned away, trying to shake off the vertigo as best she could.

Ashlar only looked up at her, with a calm, soft smile. “Let go,” he said.

She pretended not to hear. “I can pull you up!” she yelled again. “I can—”

“No you can’t,” came his gentle reply. The volume of the collapsing castle inexplicably lowered, becoming muffled. But she could still hear Ashlar perfectly. “You know you can’t. I’d just take you with me. Let me go and save yourself.”

“Ashlar!” she yelled, feeling rage quell up inside her. How dare he say such stupid things! How selfish of him to say she wasn’t strong. She thought about all the things she wanted to bark at him but the words were robbed of sound. All she could hear now was an unnatural ringing as vibrations shot up her hooves, trying to pull her down. When’d she get so exhausted? Why did she feel so cold all of a sudden? She had no idea why anything was happening. She didn’t know anything and she built this place. How stupid of her. This had to be her fault. She had to have misplaced one of the blocks in the floor. It was her fault everything was collapsing and it was her fault for being up here on this mountain and not on the ground where it was safe and it was her fault for not knowing anything about... about...

“Let me go, Lintel,” Ashlar said again.

She felt her stomach crawl up her throat. “Ashlar...!” she cried.

“Let him go,” came a voice from behind.

The floor seized beneath her, taking out her legs and throwing her onto her chest. Something sliced above her and her magic inexplicably cut out, taking with it the color from her skin. She wheezed and her mind drew blanks, trying to piece together what she so hardly wished would stay apart.

The rumbling rolled her onto her back and the brilliant full moon came into view, only to disappear behind a piercing black mass. The stars draped across it like a blanket and the moon reappeared, gurgling through the mass’s center in a vaguely familiar crescent. Silver and blue also appeared, and it took her way too long to comprehend there was a pony towering over her.

The pony was frowning deeply. “You do not know who I am?” it asked in a quiet, but lusting and angry voice.

Lintel stared at the black pony listlessly. The ground beneath one of its silver hooves cracked.

“I am Nightmare Moon!” it screamed at her. The air tremored as if it was being throttled, and more bits of castle fell away around them. “I am the shepherd of the stars, the herald of the shadow of night! I am the demon, the black sheath that shall drown this kingdom in my righteous indignation! I am your Princess!”

Nightmare Moon kicked her and she jumped awake. She blinked and found the world around her had been completely swallowed up by darkness, emptied of absolutely everything. Everything except for the scrap of marble beneath her hooves, floating in the abyss. She tried desperately not to think, to just stand there and wait for everything to be over. But her head grew too heavy to bear, and the space below grabbed her and pulled her over the edge.


Nightmare Moon gripped a sphere in her hooves, glaring at the image of two little ponies inside. They lay in bed, but the mare had tangled herself in the bedsheets causing the stallion to groggily wake. But she continued to squirm, dried tears on her cheeks, until she rolled right off the bed and crashed onto the floor with a yelp. Her eyes flew open and the image inside the sphere dissolved away.

“How can you not know?” Nightmare Moon asked the woken sphere. It shone in her hooves like a giant marble. “How could you not know who I am?!” she yelled, shaking it.

Her grip quickly slipped, and the sphere floated away from her just out of reach. Nightmare Moon gnashed her teeth and screamed a primal, angry scream, and she pushed herself at the sphere only to kick it as far away as she could. It shot into the ever-surrounding sea of others and disappeared amongst them.

Her chest heaved, and she quickly turned her attention back to a large white sphere sitting right where she had left it.

“You!” she shouted, grabbing the sphere tightly and glaring a renewed hatred upon it. “You blasted, wretched fiend! You think I don’t know what you’re doing? You may have removed me bodily from the world, but you seek to wipe it of my memory as well?!”

The sphere trembled in her hooves. An image of Princess Celestia reflected back at her in uneasy sleep. Nightmare Moon pressed her face against it and narrowed her eyes.

“I did not think you could grow even more arrogant,” she hissed. “You cannot so easily rid my subjects of their rightful ruler! For every day you spend in toil, I will spend a night in natural prestige, undoing all your efforts with greater returns! By the time I return to Equestria, all the world will know my name! Do you understand me?”

The sphere flickered unsteadily. Nightmare Moon growled and forced it away from her, then floated off in search of new dreams to invade.

Comments ( 2 )

I'd certainly like to see more.

Login or register to comment