• Published 21st Aug 2012
  • 8,122 Views, 453 Comments

When You Were Young - Art Inspired



Discord is visited by Celestia as he journeys through his dark mind.

  • ...
29
 453
 8,122

Chapter Three: Mentality

Mentality


The azure mare sat with the affronted creature, him staring at the night sky. This was the first time in months he had the chance to gaze upon the bliss-like space in the deep blue atmosphere, and though it was a mere illusion cast by his visitor, it still felt like the world he lived in was as real as anything else he'd ever experienced.

“Why have you arrived in this void?” Discord asked in indignation. Luna smiled on, not ever averting her head from the materialization of her crescent meteor.

“Well…” she began. “I, and my sister of course, would like the old Discord back. Is that too much to ask of you? I mean, why would you wish to stay here in the void of your own consciousness when you can simply repent for your past deeds by apologizing? It doesn’t make sense for you to cast away your friends.”

Hearing this made Discord scoff, “You’re the one who abandoned me all those years ago, or did you forget?”

“We had unfortunate reasons to do that, but things are different now! If you just give up your powers of disharmony and return to Canterlot with a clear and level headed mind, nopony will object to your return.” Luna finally turned her head to rest her eyes on the draconequus, and continued, “Celestia and I wish for your return now more than ever. We miss our friend, and we'd like to have him back.”

As Discord closed his eyes, he said, "He's long gone, Luna…"

She could tell he was in no mood to debate this. If she was going to revive the kinder Discord, she would have to do it by means of vehemence. “Do you remember the clouds we use to jump on?” she asked.

Discord lowered his head, signaling he did.

As Luna’s horn began to shimmer and morph the reality the two found themselves in, clouds formed before them. White puffballs of soft, evaporated water took solid form, only to float before the two, and as Discord stared with glossy eyes, he saw himself flutter by and land on a small collection of clouds that soared right in front of him. The child form of himself smiled, and yelled, “This is awesome!”

Luna’s filly hallucination glided to another cloud just a little ways away, and yelled back, “I know right!”

“It’s like were floating!”

As the two hopped from one cloud to the other, the ones that they previously landed upon floated by the adult Discord and Luna, only to dissipate as they passed.

“Don’t do this,” Discord said with his paw rubbing his cheek. “I don’t wish to remember.” His voice was scratchy, and showed his sad self to be weakening due to the boisterous anamnesis of his childhood.

The two kids jumped to a heavily cushioned cloud to rest. As Discord flopped onto his back, he stretched his muscles before claiming, “If this isn’t the softest thing I’ve ever felt, I don’t know what is!”

Luna sat next to him, smiling intensively while enjoying the creature's company. “You know, Celly’s the one who offered this. If only mother didn’t have to keep her cooped up in the castle for special tutoring on silly magic, she could be here with us, playing in the clouds!”

Discord giggled. “Say, how come your mom’s always busy? She never leaves the castle except to pick you two up. Is she that wrapped up in business?”

Luna shrugged, and then tried to dodge the question. “She never tells us anything about her work, and I don’t really care.” She flipped and laid down with the draconequus. “Kids like us will just get in the way! I say it’s just best we leave her be while she’s working.”

The adult form of Discord looked at Luna, and said, “Stop this… It’s just… It hurts.”

Luna gave Discord her attention. “Why should it hurt? This is our past. Ours is filled with good fun and laughter. Why do you hate it so?” Discord averted his line of vision and tried to seem like he didn’t hear the question. “Discord?” Luna asked in an attempt to get him to converse.

While he drew a heavy breath, and sighed with trouble, he said, “I… know I can never have them again.”

The smiling princess asked, “Then you do miss the feeling, right?”

The fiend looked at his claw, but could only mutter, “If I could go back in time… and stop myself from becoming who I am now… I guess I would try, but of course, most likely with very little success.”

Luna asked one last question before she left. “Then you’re sorry?”

Discord looked at her to say, grudgingly, “I will never admit that I am sorry for anything… not without an apology from you two first!”

Luna bowed her head knowing it was only proper to convince her sister to offer her apology as well, and retreated from the void. Alone again, Discord sat there, all the illusions withering away and leaving him in the darkness, all by himself without a soul to speak to. He felt one single tear warily escape his right eye. It slid solemnly down, curving at his jaw, and just hung on his chin for a moment. As it dripped off, he caught it with his claw, and held onto it for a moment. It was wet and transparent, almost seeming like some sort of symbolization that referenced his entire being.

He felt weak, like he had guilt within his mind, the guilt of ten centuries or so of him committing one heinous crime after another upon poor, defenseless, innocent and good minded ponies who had done nothing to deserve the fateful cruelties he distributed freely. His life was that of a teardrop, see-through, and liquid.

He could shape it the way he saw fit, but never put into consideration that this meant consequences that would ultimately rule his reality. The depression he felt hit the fan as he remembered so many memories in such a small amount of time. Good ones brought him to his knees, and bad ones were just adding insult to injury. He looked around at the blackness of the dense emptiness, and asked himself the one question he'd been wondering about ever sense he changed from a spry, young, nature loving child, to the demonic and chaos obsessed fiend he was now beginning to drift away from.

“Why did I change?”