• Published 9th Mar 2020
  • 21,504 Views, 1,728 Comments

I Am Not Sombra - Boopy Doopy



But I am in his body. And nobody seems to believe me about it...

  • ...
140
 1,728
 21,504

(7-3) Back Together

Sombra lay on the ground in his old study writhing in pain, feeling like he was being stabbed over and over again. It was the most horrible pain he’d ever been in, and was thanks to that fool. It didn't help to add in the burning he was getting from the Crystal Heart’s proximity to him. If he could, he would simply destroy it, but the agony he was in prevented it. Still, despite the burning it caused, it was better that it was here near him rather than it being in Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor’s hooves.

As he lay on the ground, waiting for Hope to return, his agony lessened into something just below overwhelming. It was still quite painful, and he could feel a nerve in his neck starting to pinch, but those things would be healed soon enough when he reattached the string that fool broke off. Although, he wondered if Radiant Hope could heal him. It was her special talent, after all, her receiving her cutie mark when she healed him before. Although why she couldn’t just untie that string herself and spare him this pain was beyond him.

He briefly tried to remember what his plan was and what had happened. He knew part of it had to do with subduing Luna and driving Celestia to insanity, but he couldn't remember exactly why. Not that he didn't know what his goal was. Taking over the Crystal Empire was obvious. He just couldn't remember why he chose to play the waiting game and had that fool occupy him when he could've just attacked directly. But it was trivial to try and ponder. He was here now, and he was edging on victory.

Except for his pain. The pain he was in was brutal. But it was worth it since it brought him so close to victory. He’d thought victory was in his grasp before, but this time he was sure of it. He only needed to get Discord and one of the Element Bearers out of the way before it could be completely assured.

No, not completely assured. There was still Cadance. Sombra still had to deal with her. At least, he imagined he’d have to. There was no reason he wouldn’t have to. However, he somehow felt like he wouldn’t need to, and he didn’t know why. But he would concern himself with that later. For now, he put the thought out of his head while he watched Radiant Hope return, his pain lowering at her sight.

“Where were you?” he asked his friend, standing up from laying on the ground, using a hoof to rub where the nerve was pinched.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized. “I wanted to see if I could try and get Chrysalis out of the cell she’s being held in, but it’s being guarded by Shining Armor.”

He humphed at that. “I wouldn’t want to work with that insect anyway. Not that we need that cretin. There isn’t that much else standing in our way. My plan worked.”

“Your plan, if you can call it that, was risky. What would you think might’ve happened if I hadn’t come to free you from… that thing?”

“That wouldn’t happen, you not coming,” Sombra said matter-of-factly. “I knew you would come.”

“How would you know that?”

“Because you’re my friend.”

She gave him a weird stare at that, slightly dubious and slightly annoyed, and he returned it with a genuine smile. “Well,” she told him, a tiny bit frustrated, “If you would have just waited a little bit longer, I had a perfect plan for how to free the umbrum and-”

“Wait,” Sombra interrupted, his smile returning to his usual scowl. “Why would I ever free the umbrum?” he asked her.

This time, Hope’s expression was incredulous. “Why would you not?” she asked her friend, surprised. “They’re counting on you to free them from their prison!”

“Well, as long as I’m living, they’ll stay in their prison.”

“You have to free them! You’re supposed to be their-”

“I know where you’re going, Hope,” he interrupted again, “and I’m going to stop you. They’re monsters. The umbrum are all monsters like me.” He growled, continuing, “Even if they weren’t, I wouldn’t care. They’re just as much to blame for how I suffered as Princess Amore and those wretched crystal ponies.”

"Wait, they cause you to be hurt by the Crystal Heart?" Radiant Hope asked.

"They had a heavy hoof in my suffering, yes."

She went quiet at that as the two stared at each other. “So we’re not freeing the umbrum,” she whispered. “We’re just… what?”

“I'm being the monster I was destined to be,” he told her without hesitation, anger in his voice. “I’m taking control of this kingdom and crushing these ponies under my hooves.” He then left the anger out of his voice as he continued, “Or perhaps you can be the princess you were destined to be.”

Radiant Hope knew that her ‘destiny’ was out of her reach at his point. It’d been a thousand years, even if it only felt like months to the two of them. More importantly, what had become of the current situation they were in was already too far into motion for them to stop. Besides, they were on the verge of winning, having already taken care of Luna and Celestia being deposed. She might as well follow through and finish what they started. Then they’d rule over Equestria and Sombra would be happy like he used to be. She might not be an actual ‘princess’, but it would be worth giving up to have her friend back.

“So what’s the rest of the plan?” she asked with a sigh. “We’re not getting Chrysalis?”

“No,” he answered. “We don’t need her. We just need to turn one of those six into stone, as well as… that other pony.”

“That other pony? Cadance?”

“I’m not saying their name because… mmmh.”

She raised an eyebrow before realizing who he was talking about. “Oh, that pony. Okay. When are we going to deal with Cadance and Shining Armor?”

“I don’t know. We might not have to. I’m not sure.” Before she could ask, he continued. “It’s just a feeling, and like I said, we might not have to. At least not Cadance. That other pony is Twilight Sparkle’s brother, and I don’t believe he’ll take very kindly to us turning her into- AH! AHH AH!”

Sombra fell back to the floor and writhed in pain once again. Radiant Hope quickly rushed to her friend’s side. “Are you okay?” she asked, concerned.

“No, I’m not okay!” he yelled. “Why did you let that fool tear it apart?”

“I’m sorry,” she apologized. “I got most of it untied, but my magic wasn’t strong enough to work its way into the last knot… Do you still have the piece that was torn off?”

He huffed at that. “Yes,” he grumbled, standing up again. “I’ll tie it back on later. Right now, I want to end this.”

"You want to go out right now?" she asked.

"It's better now than never, I suppose."

“Before we do this, can I ask you some things? I’m curious about a few things.”

“What?” he asked frustratedly, keeping himself from snapping at her.

“When you were… away, they said a creature from another world was inhabiting your body in your place. That’s not true, is it?”

She asked the question in a way that made it seem like she knew and she was just confirming it with him. Sombra sighed, saying, “No, it’s not. If another world existed, I’d take you with me and wouldn’t bother with this one.”

“So, that… Alex, he wasn’t real?”

“No more real than a dream. He was the product of a spell I created. It was no different than if I was sleepwalking. It was easy to believe what that thing told them because he wasn’t real. I’m surprised that… a certain pony hadn’t caught on to it.”

“Trust me,” Hope told him, “they’re not nearly as smart as you think they are, or as they think they are.”

The two of them shared a laugh at that. Despite the pain Sombra was in from that fool and the Crystal Heart, he thought it was a nice moment. For a moment, he felt as though they were foals again playing the grass near the school they used to go to. It felt like only a few months ago Sombra inadvertently helped Radiant Hope get her cutie mark and they had their whole lives ahead of them. And now they were here, his plan for revenge against the Crystal Empire and the rulers of Equestria in motion.

“Are you ready?” Hope asked.

“This should be quite easy,” he responded confidently.


“Oh, I’m getting a bout of really bad anxiety,” I told Doctor Marks, my hand starting to shake.

“What is it?” he asked me curiously.

“Oh, it’s- it’s just- I- what if I go back?” I asked. “I know I asked before, but I don’t know what I would do if I went back. I don’t want to go back.”

“You’re fine,” he told me. “I understand how certain things can seem and feel real, but you have to ground yourself and remember what really is. Take deep breaths. Count to ten. Find something you know is real and focus on that. If you start to feel like reality is slipping away, do those things.”

“Okay,” I said, taking a deep breath. “Okay. I can try that.”