• Published 5th Mar 2020
  • 501 Views, 7 Comments

The Paths Beneath Us - BlazzingInferno



Deep beneath Equestria, donkeys work in the mines, just as they’ve always done. Except for Mica and her twin sister.

  • ...
1
 7
 501

Four

Mica breathed in the scent of rock dust, the smell of her childhood, and smiled. The cavern that had once been her whole world looked so small now. Even the glowing palace seemed quaint compared to the simple majesty of the night sky.

A light gold pony in a pith helmet walked up next to her and cocked her head toward the palace. “That’s the place?”

Mica nodded. “Not quite as big as the one with the tatzlwurms, but with a much smaller chance of getting squashed or stuck in a narrow tunnel.”

The pony grinned. “Eh, I’ll take it. I paid for history book-busting archeology and you delivered. And don’t worry about the tatzlwurms or tunnels, Fluttershy and her pals have that covered. It’s been a pleasure doing business with you, Mica.”

“Same to you, Daring Do.”

A sack full of bits landed on the ground as Daring Do sped off.

Unpacking her things didn’t take long. In ten minutes her whole shop was set up, just beyond the well-worn path to the mine and in full view of the palace. When somebody lit the torches to officially begin the day, she’d be ready.

“Mica? Is that you?” Max bounded up beside her before she could even turn around. “But where’s Ami? What happened? It’s been weeks!”

“Three weeks,” Mica murmured, her eyes focused on the tatzlwurm scale she was angling to better catch the torchlight. “Three weeks exactly. We… kind of got lost and found a new home. Ami’s all right, don’t worry. I’m just here on business. Speaking of, this is for you.”

She passed him a bag of gems, more than enough to cover the lost tools, and barely a quarter of what she expected to earn today.

Max hefted the bag and sniffed its contents. “Thanks, but this is too much. I should—”

“Take it. Call it a gift from me and Ami, and don’t tell Pogo.”

“Hah, if only. I guess you two figured out how to mine after all.”

“Not exactly.” Mica propped up a small wooden sign decorated with vibrant paint listing her one and only service: passage to and from the surface (temporary or permanent) via pegasus chariot.

Max gasped.

Mica smiled. “It’s all in Ami’s new book. Want to come and visit?”

Comments ( 5 )

Magnificent. An entirely believable addition to the world, with some rich characterization and tantalizing unspecified details. Mica slowly realizing just where she was after she came to was especially well done. My only complaint is that they couldn't bring Maud down to the mines. Thank you for an great read, and best of luck in the judging.

10213776
Fat-fingered the chapter save button, figured I’d turn the empty comment into something witty later, and wound up “sheltering in” instead :twilightoops:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Neat end. :D

10213776
This comment thread is everything.

Login or register to comment