• Published 4th Mar 2020
  • 529 Views, 111 Comments

Mapping Manehattan - The Red Parade



Fiddlesticks and Lightning Dust explore a ruined Manehattan.

  • ...
5
 111
 529

shooting

The sharp crack of gunfire pierces the air. Fiddlesticks flinches, but Midnight and Lightning don’t react. They grip their guns a bit tighter and keep moving through the alleyway, past the garbage cans and dumpsters.

The shooting seems to be coming from the Manehattan Convention Center: a big circular building that the military used as a command post. It’s probably a treasure trove for looters, but Midnight doesn’t think anyone’s been able to get in yet, since there’s a group of ex-guards hanging out inside.

They exit the alley and end up across the street from the convention center. Fences and warnings have been set up around the area, isolating it from the rest of the city. Military vehicles are parked nearby, still and rusted.

Midnight thinks they should just leave the fighters alone. Ponies in these parts like to shoot first and ask questions never. But Fiddlesticks disagrees. There might be ponies in trouble, and if they don’t act, their blood might as well be on their hooves.

As they bicker, Lightning realizes that the shooting has stopped. Instead, a strange silence falls over the building.

They crouch outside the alley, behind a cargo truck, and wait. Seconds turn into minutes, and they still don’t hear anything. Lightning thinks they should hold here and see what happens. It’s probably safer than pushing up into the building.

Midnight asks why they should even bother. She doesn’t think it’s going to end very well for them. Fiddlesticks rolls her eyes and points out Midnight doesn’t have to stay with them. She can leave if she wants.

They crouch behind the trucks for a few minutes more, searching for signs of movement. The three of them hold their breaths, scanning the area.

Midnight asks what they’re going to do if they see someone. Lightning says they’ll figure it out when they get there.

Fiddle thinks they should play it slow and not make any rash decisions. She gives a sideways glance at Lightning when she says that. Lightning frowns, rolling her eyes. Before she can respond, she sees something in the air.

A pair of pegasi have shot up into the sky. They’re flying around in circles, looking for something. Or someone. Lightning pulls a pair of binoculars out of her bag and raises them to her face.

The two pegasi are decked out in military gear. Lightning can make out the heavy armor vests they’re wearing and the weapons slung around their bodies. They fly in a tight formation, close together.

Lightning focuses her binoculars on one of them. Her eyes go wide. That fiery mane looks familiar to her. It brings back memories of a gravelly voice barking orders.

She glances at the other one and sees hints of a blue mane and a pale blue coat. Lightning passes the binoculars to Midnight, asking if they look familiar to her.

Midnight takes a look, then raises an eyebrow. They are familiar. Lightning frowns. There’s only one way to be sure.