• Published 23rd Nov 2020
  • 8,587 Views, 2,335 Comments

Cinematic Adventures: Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone - extremeenigma02



The Mane Six and Spike are back again. This time traveling to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to help three young students in a battle against the darkest wizard ever, Lord Voldemort. Will they succeed?

  • ...
14
 2,335
 8,587

Quidditch Practice & Charms

Author's Note:

A big thanks to theovine93 for the amazing quotes in this chapter

The very next day, shortly after Transfiguration class and Care of Magical Creatures with Professor Fluttershy, the Young Six found themselves back in the Gryffindor common room during a little grace period between classes. Throughout the day, it proved hard to focus considering the events of last night. After all, it’s not every day a student comes across a giant three-headed dog trying to eat them. But right now, the six of them sat together on the big couch by the fireplace enjoying some time off. It was then, however, when Oliver Wood came walking up to them with Harry following close behind.

“Hey Smolder!” He called out.

Smolder looked up from the Quidditch handbook she was reading and saw the team captain approach her.

“What’s up Wood?” She asked.

“I’ve come to show you and Potter here about Quidditch,” He explained. “I want you both to follow me down to the flying grounds. Got to make a stop by Madame Hooch’s office and grab some supplies.”

<>

https://m.

Not long after, Oliver and Harry walked onto the flying field of the Hogwarts grounds. While they both carried a large trunk, Smolder flew behind them clutching a broomstick in each claw. The broomsticks, both Clean-sweeps, were pretty decent at both flight and speed. As they made their way onto the grassy plain, Woods began explaining the concept of Quidditch to the two first-years.

“Quidditch is easy enough to understand. Each team has seven players, three chasers, one of them will be you Smolder, two beaters, one keeper and a seeker. That’s you Potter.”

Oliver and Harry placed the chest along the ground, while Smolder placed the two brooms alongside it. Wood opened the chest revealing a large weird-looking ball in the center and two others which, for some reason, were chained down. Woods picked up the large ball and passed it to Smolder.

“You’ll want to pay attention to this Smolder because this concerns both of us,” Wood warned.

“Got it bro!” Smolder nodded.

“There are three kinds of balls. This one’s called the Quaffle. Now, the chasers handle the Quaffle and try to put it through one of those three hoops.”

Wood addressed the actual Quidditch field where three large hoops were suspended in large poles at each end of the field.

“Now Madame Hooch will start the game by tossing the Quaffle into the air and the first team to take possession of it must race it down to the end of the field and try to throw it through the other team’s hoops. The keeper, that’s me, defends the hoops. With me so far?”

“Got ya, man,” Smolder nodded. “So… I’m supposed to keep the Quaffle out of the other team’s hands too?”

“You got it kid,” Woods grinned. “Trust me when I tell you though that Slytherin are quite known to play aggressive when it comes to Quidditch. They’ll do anything and everything to get the Quaffle away from you.”

“Well, I’d love to see them ‘try’ to take it away from a dragon,” Smolder chuckled, tossing the Quaffle back to Wood.

“What are those?” Harry asked, pointing to the two chained balls.

Wood reached down and picked up a bat of sorts, which he offered to Harry.

“You better take this,” He suggested.

Harry seemed hesitant at first, but slowly he reached up and took the bat. Oliver leaned down, unclasped one of the balls, and suddenly it shot right into the air at top speed. It lingered in the air for a brief moment before quickly descending toward the Earth.

“Careful now, it’s coming back,” Wood warned.

As the ball continued to descend, Harry pulled back and gave a big swing. He hit the ball just before it hit the ground and sent it flying in the air and right through the opening of one of the rooftop statues. Wood had to shield his eyes just to look after it but could no longer see it. He grinned as he turned toward Harry with a nod of approval.

“Not bad Potter,” He complimented. “You’d make a fair beater.”

The moment was not to last, however, as the ball zipped back toward them at high speed.

“Uh oh!”

The ball zipped down so fast that when Wood caught it in his arms, it pushed him toward the ground and knocked the wind out of him. He practically had to wrestle with the ball while trying to drag it back to the trunk.

“Are you okay Wood?” Smolder asked concerned.

“You need help?” Harry added.

“I got it!” Wood grunted.

Finally, Oliver position the ball into its place in the chest and chained it down.

“What in the name of Dragon Lord Ember was that?” Smolder asked confused.

“Bludger,” Wood answered simply. “Nasty little buggers. That’s another thing you’ve got to worry about Smolder. Those things fly around the Quidditch field and when they crash into you, trust me it hurts something fierce. Thankfully, that’s what Fred and George are there for. They’ll beat the bludgers around with the bats to keep them away from you, but the other team’s beaters will also try to beat them towards you.”

Smolder’s eyes widened a bit, and an audible gulp could be heard in the back of her throat. Every time she thought she’d gotten over her fears and uncertainty of the game, they pulled her right back in. Then Wood turned toward Harry.

“But you are the seeker,” He said pointing.

He reached for the Hogwarts crest embedded in the bottom of the case lid and pulled open a secret compartment. From within, he pulled out a tiny golden ball and held it out toward Harry.

“The only thing I want you to worry about is this… the Golden Snitch.”

He handed Harry the walnut-sized golden ball and Harry gazed in admiration. Not just him, but Smolder also looked at it as if it were a precious gem.

“Better keep that one under wraps or I might just have to add it to my hoard,” She said, practically drooling.

“I like this ball,” Harry smiled.

“Ah, you like it now,” Wood corrected. “Just wait. It’s wicked fast and damn near impossible to see.”

“I can certainly see why,” Smolder replied, tilting her head. “It’s the size of a tiny walnut but at least it’s still gold.”

“What do I do with it?” Harry asked.

“You catch it… before the other team’s seeker,” Wood explained. “You catch this, the game is over. You catch this, Potter, and we win.”

The little ball fluttered out two delicate wings like a hummingbird and jumped into the air. It buzzed around out of the three individuals’ sight, as they looked around the surrounding area to try and catch sight of it once more. Harry managed to spot it again, looking after it in wonder.

“Whoa!” He gasped amazed.

Wood then reached into his pocket and pulled out his wand. He aimed toward the tiny little golden ball and cast a spell.

Accio Snitch!”

The little ball was suddenly drawn back toward Wood in a magical grip. Though it tried hard to fly away, the spell locked it within its grip till finally it drew back toward Wood’s hand. Soon as Wood grabbed hold of it, the little wings folded back into the ball and Oliver inserted it back into the chest.

“Now that we’ve gotten the basics out of the way,” Oliver announced. “I think it’s time for a bit of practice.”

He grabbed hold of one of the clean-sweep brooms and mounted it before taking off into the air. He hovered over the pair still on the ground, looking down at them.

“Smolder, you grab the other broom and the Quaffle,” He instructed. “Then fly over to the pitch and meet me there.”

Smolder nodded as Wood flew off toward the Quidditch pitch. Smolder slowly walked toward the chest, grabbing both the Quaffle and one of the clean-sweeps. As Harry watched his little friend, he could clearly see she had a worried glance plastered upon her face.

“Are you alright Smolder?” Harry asked concerned.

“I don’t know H.P.,” Smolder sighed. “I mean I’m stocked to get the chance to do this, but I had no idea all of that had to go into it. It’s like you said, we’ve never played Quidditch before and we barely have any experience on a broom.”

“That may be true, but we still have plenty of time before the first Quidditch game of the season,” Harry pointed out.

“About a month and a half, at least.”

“That’s still a good deal of time to prepare.”

Even though Harry did have a point, it still did little to make Smolder feel better.

“I just don’t know if I’m ready for this,” She sighed.

She sat onto the grass, crossing her arms over her knees as she rested her head on her arms. Harry knew he needed to do something to cheer his friend up, so he crossed over and sat right beside her.

“Do you remember a few weeks ago when you all showed up at the Dursley’s?” Harry asked seriously.

“Yeah,” Smolder nodded.

“You said you were there to change my life for the better. Since that day, things have certainly been different for me. I talked to a snake, was told I was a wizard, and now here we are at Hogwarts.”

Smolder looked up at Harry, a raised eyebrow showcased her confusion.

“Where are you going with this?”

Harry placed his arm around her shoulders, pulling her toward him.

“My point is that you had absolutely no idea what to do to help me, right?”

“Right.”

“But that didn’t stop you from trying, did it? You stayed with me and helped me out of a terrible situation. If you can do that with no problem, why can’t you do this?”

Smolder raised one scaly claw to scratch her chin. Harry was absolutely right, since they first arrived they were given no direction beforehand on ‘how’ to help him. They basically walked in blind, and it was pure coincidence that everything happened. Yet through it all, they stuck with Harry throughout the entire adventure.

“You know what? When you’re right, you’re right,” Smolder said confidently.

Standing back up with newfound confidence, Smolder grabbed the Quaffle and her broom. Mounting it, she kicked off the ground and quickly ascended into the air. Leaning forward a bit, she sped forth toward the pitch where Wood waited by the goal posts. She pulled up alongside him with a newfound drive to play Quidditch.

“What do ya want me to do captain?” She asked.

Wood smiled over her confidence, as he flew right before the giant hoops.

“Basically, I want to see where you stand in your position as Chaser,” He explained. “This way I know what we must practice before the big game. So, what I want you to do is start out at the end of the field over there, fly down here as fast as you can, and try to put the Quaffle through the hopes while I guard them.”

“You got it boss,” Smolder chuckled.

Smolder flew off toward the other end of the field and turned back to face Wood and the opposing hoops. Taking a deep breath, she flew back towards the hoops as fast as she could and gave a mighty throw. The Quaffle soared through the air and was about to soar through the hoop, until Oliver easily caught the Quaffle in his hand.

“Not bad,” He complimented. “Now let’s try it again. A little tip: Some of the best Chasers use their special skills to their advantage during the games.”

Smolder looked at him quizzically, trying to determine what he was talking about. Then, a cheeky smile spread across her face as a little idea came to mind. She flew back down toward the other end of the field. When she was up-and-ready, she flew back to the other end at full speed and sucked in a deep breath. She released a huge blast of fire which Wood had to dodge quickly, allowing Smolder to hurl the Quaffle through the hoop on the far end. Wood tried to catch it, but the ball grazed his fingertips and flew right through the hoop.

“Aww yeah!” Smolder cheered. “That’s how we do it in Equestria!”

Wood looked at Smolder with a big smirk.

“That was good there Smolder,” He said approvingly. “So long as you don’t actually burn anyone during the games, that could come in handy.”

Smolder merely shrugged with a cocky smirk.

“Now don’t get too excited yet though,” Wood added. “We’ve still got a lot of work to do before the first game next month.”

The rest of the afternoon had Wood teaching Harry and Smolder some additional maneuvers and techniques for Quidditch. Though Smolder had come into this with absolutely no idea what she was doing, least now she felt more confident.

<>

https://m.

A month later, the Student Six, Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat in the Charms classroom. All the students had their wands out and a single feather placed in front of each of them. Teaching this class was a very short wizard, Professor Flitwick of course, who appeared to be part-Goblin, standing on a stack of books to compensate his stature and see the classroom. Standing alongside him was a familiar fashionista dressed formally with her mane in a bun.

“Welcome, first-years,” Flitwick greeted. “In this classroom, you will be taught the rudimentary charms that will serve as the foundation for all spells and such. For today, one of a wizard’s most rudimentary skills is levitation, or the ability to make objects fly. Now before we begin, my assistant professor, Miss Rarity, will explain the understanding of this class. Milady?”

“Why, thank you, Professor,” Rarity curtsied.

The marshmallow unicorn stepped forth to the front of the class, so all eyes could see her.

“For those of you who believe that casting a simple Charm like levitation is all mental, you’d be quite surprised. Each Charm requires not just concentration and its own unique incantation, but also its own unique set of wand motions. In this class, you will not only learn the words required to make the Charms work, but also their respective waves and flicker. In other words… we will not only expand on training the focus of your minds and your tongues with enunciating the many incantations, but we will also train the necessary muscle memory required. Thereby, when you need to cast even a simple Charm, it will SEEM easy to those who do not understand the complexity of this practice. Above all… practice, practice, practice~ the more you practice, the sooner you can expect yourself casting Charms on a whim with seemingly little effort!”

Rarity then turned toward Professor Flitwick.

“Shall we begin?”

“Thank you, Milady,” Flitwick bowed. “Now, do we all have our feathers?”

The first to raise their feather is none other than Hermione Granger herself.

“Good!”

“Worse thing than a know-it-all is a teacher’s pet,” Gallus whispered to Smolder.

“Agreed…” Smolder nodded.

“Now, uh, don’t forget the nice wrist movement we’ve been practicing, hmm?” Flitwick continued. “The swish and flick. Everyone.”

Everyone, including Rarity, copied Flitwick’s motions, repeating after him.

“The swish and flick!” They all said.

“And above all, class… enunciate the words as we say them, syllable for syllable,” Rarity instructed. “For this charm, they are… WingardiumLeviosa…”

Rarity slowly moved her lips to sound out the charm for the students to see.

“To sum it up: The swish-and-flick and Wingardium Leviosa.”

“Off you go, then,” Flitwick concluded.

Everyone began to practice their wand movements and incantation, many of whom unabl to get it on the first go.

“Wingardium Levio-saaa,” Draco misprounounced.

“Wingar-ium Leliosa,” Yona and Sandbar mumbled, their wands in their mouths.

“Wingardium Leviosar!” Ron spoke.

The red-haired boy desperately flicked his wand on the feather, having no luck getting it to levitate. Until eventually, Hermione couldn’t bear to see him struggle.

“Stop, stop, stop… you’re going to take somebody’s eye out,” Hermione interjected. “Besides, you’re saying it wrong. It’s “Leviosa”, not “Leviosar”.”

You do it then if you’re so clever,” Ron challenged. “Go on, go on.”

Hermione straightened up in her seat, before raising her wand over the feather and perfectly demonstrated the ‘swish-and-flick’ while reciting flawlessly.

Wingardium Leviosa.”

Her feather not only rose off the table, but it kept rising as Hermione slowly raised the tip of her wand upward. Everyone in the classroom watched in amazement… especially Professor Flitwick and Rarity.

“Sweet Celestia…” Rarity gasped. “That is, by far, one of the most elegant demonstrations of levitation I have seen. And I should know, I’ve been known to use my magic quite elegantly.”

She demonstrated by levitating a cup of tea rather daintily, as the cup and saucer floated in mid-air within her aura.

“Oh, yes, indeed!” Flitwick chuckled. “Quite a first time. Oh, well done! See here, everyone! Ms. Granger’s done it! Oh, splendid!”

Hermione appeared satisfied with her first attempt, while Ron looked down at his books dejectedly. However, the attention suddenly shift from Hermione’s father… to a floating feather that seemed to sway back and forth in midair… and the wand conducting belonged to a distracted Silverstream, waving her wand, and humming a little tune. Rarity, quite surprised at her own student, strolled over to investigate.

Wingardium Leviosa…” Silverstream sung softly. “Wingardium Leviosa, Wingardium Leviosa…”

“Silverstream?” Rarity called out. “Excuse me?”

Silver’s singing stopped the moment she noticed Rarity; her focus returned while her talon still conducted.

“Sorry, Miss Rarity. Did you want me to try the charm?”

“Try it?” Rarity asked, surprised. “But… but…”

“You have done it, Miss Silverstream,” Flitwick pointed out.

“I have?!” Silverstream gasped, greatly surprised.

“Yeah, you got it first before the other five of us,” Gallus added. “Even our resident bookworm, Ocellus, is still trying to do it…”

He pointed toward Ocellus, who is reading the books, likely the ones on ‘Levitation Charms’.

“But you… you got yours to float without even trying!” Gallus continued. “See for yourself!”

He pointed above her head, as Silverstream acknowledged her feather floating and swaying to the beat of her wand motions.

“I’m doing that?!” Silverstream gaped. “But all I did are say the words… though it’s much more fun to sing~”

“Perhaps,” Flitwick nodded. “But you are also performing the swish-and-flick motion perfectly~”

Silverstream looked at the talon doing the ‘conducting’, surprised to see a perfection repetition of the required motion.

“Your muscle memory is developing already,” Flitwick observed. “Even at the start of the class.”

“Huh… I wasn’t really thinking much to be honest…” Silverstream nodded. “But… wait! Does that mean…?”

A loud gasp escaped her lips, her eyes widen in shock, and then the biggest smile she ever made spread from cheek to cheek.

“Guys! I did magic! I did magic! I mean, I know I can do magic, but still… this is the first piece of non-Pearl magic I’ve ever done! YES!!!

“And I do believe your display is worthy of ten house points to Gryffindor!” Rarity said proudly.

“I couldn’t agree more Mrs. Rarity,” Flitwick nodded. “Ten house points to Gryffindor! Well done, dear!”

“Great…” Smolder groaned. “Now we’ll NEVERhear the end of this. Oh well…”

Smolder returned to her feather, attempting to master levitation. All of a sudden, a certain student next to her mispronounced the incantation.”

“Wingard Leviosa. Wingard—”

*BOOM!*

Flitwick was so focused on Silverstream, a mighty explosion of fire sent him in shock, along with the entire classroom. As the fire dissipated, the students and teachers gasped seeing a shocked Seamus covered in soot and a burnt feather in front of him.

“I think we’re going to need another feather over here, Professor,” Harry observed.

Rarity slowly approached Seamus, cringing at the sight of his face and lack of ‘certain’ features. Using her magic, she summoned a ‘pencil’ for obvious reasons.

“You’re going to have to start using this for a while, Mr. Seamus,” Rarity offered.

The boy slowly looked up and took the pencil reluctantly, as some students behind him snickered.

“Thanks, Miss Rarity…” Seamus sighed.

<>

Shortly after class, all the students strolled around the courtyard. Some were either preparing for their next class or enjoying the break in between. Neville, Harry, Ron, Sheamus, Sandbar, and Gallus walked across the courtyard.

It’s Levioooosa,” Ron mimicked Hermione. “Not Leviosaaaar.”

“Urgh! This is exactly why I hate know-it-alls with a passion!” Gallus grumbled, frustrated. “If I have to sit through another session just to see her act like she’s above us, so help me…”

“C’mon Gallus!” Sandbar butted in. “I think you’re taking this a bit personally. After all, there’s nothing wrong with being talented, is there?”

“I have nothing against anyone with magical ability,” Gallus argued. “But there’s a difference between actually performing magic… and just showing off like that one school filly with the cute ribbons. Just because she has the ability to perform magic Sandbar, that does not give her the right to act like she’s better than the rest of us!”

“I’m with Gallus on this one,” Ron agreed. “She’s a nightmare, honestly. No wonder she hasn’t got any friends!”

All the boys, apart from Harry and Sandbar, chuckled in agreement alongside Ron and Gallus. Suddenly, a student pushed past Ron in a huff. As it turned out, it’s Hermione, hugging her books tightly and struggling to hold back her tears.

“I think she heard you,” Harry observed.

The boys watched as Hermione disappeared into the crowd, Sandbar could tell she was deeply hurt by Ron and Gallus’s words.

“I’m sorry boys, but that was savage even for you,” Sandbar shook his head. “I think you ought to apologize to her.”

“Apologize for what?! Being honest?” Gallus asked, brushing off. “She’ll be fine, Sandbar. Give her a chance to cry about it and she’ll get over it. I’m sure she always does…”

Sandbar sighed before turning back ahead, only to look in surprise.

“Girls?”

Gallus looked up when she saw their four friends standing in front of the group of boys. They were all staring at them, Gallus especially noted Silverstream’s. He nearly smiled and waved, when he saw the way she looked at him… so angrily and disappointed. A tear struggled to fall from her eye, as she clenched her talons. With a huff, she tossed her wand to the ground much to Gallus’ shock.

Silverstream turned away to leave without a word… only for a few seconds. She quickly returned and picked up her discarded wand, brushing off the dust while she stared daggers toward the confused griffon. Sniffing a tear away, she turned back around and left while the other girls looked toward Silverstream. One look back toward the boys and they silently shook their heads with a sigh, leaving the boys standing in confusion.

“What?” Gallus asked. “What’d I say?”