• Published 2nd Mar 2020
  • 1,546 Views, 18 Comments

The Path of the Son - L Drkheart



Spike moves from Dragon Town to find where he belongs, ending up in a small town called Ponyville where his life will change.

  • ...
0
 18
 1,546

A Dragon Town Goodbye

“Mom! Come on you have to let me go or I’ll miss my train!” Spike shouted as he struggled in the grip of his mother’s hug but he knew it was hopeless, no one would try to separate a mother dragon from her kin unless they were looking to lose a limb. He sighed in her hug but the smile on his face and tiny tears in his eyes told the truth. He would miss them and he was scared to leave, scared but also excited. It was strange, to think back on how normal a day that can change your life can start.

. . .

It started simple with the casual alarm that was Mina the Dragon. Celestia’s morning sun crept into Spike’s cave-like room. The walls were made of crude stone and had posters hung up displaying pony superheroes and music groups. There was a wooden desk which showed years of wear, a bookcase full of comics and adventure novels with the occasional fable here and there, some figurines were by the door all in different poses, and an emerald blade leaned against the wall near the window. The bed hid one teenage dragon from view as he rolled and put the covers over his head to escape from the intruding sun.

“SPIKE! Get up, it's your special day!” A shout echoed as the stone door was kicked open. Once upon a time he used wooden doors, guess how long that lasted. Spike only answered by retreating into the covers more. Mina was a pink and blue dragon who grew and arranged her spines to resemble a pony’s mane. Large blue horns were on her head and small wings on her back. She frowned crossing her arms and sighing, having grown used to her best friend’s antics. “Spike we don’t have time for this! Come on, your mom made gem pancakes!”

Spike’s stomach growled at the name of his favorite breakfast and the dragon emerged from his cave of blankets. He was a lean and sturdy dragon with emerald eyes and amethyst scales. He was just shorter than the average stallion but his green spines gave him a few more inches of height. Strangely for a dragon of his age, he was still missing his wings. “Okay okay, I’m up! Why did mom make gem pancakes?” Spike jumped out of bed and looked in a mirror at his reflection.

“Umm, because it’s your hatchday dummy! Why do you always look in the mirror, I mean it’s not like you wear clothes or anything.” Spike smirked at her question and gave a flex to his reflection.

“Just gotta make sure I’m still my good-looking self.” Mina rolled her eyes and punched him on the back.

“I think that thing is broken if that’s what you see.” The two glared at each other before laughing and walking downstairs. Pictures of Spike littered the walls and at the bottom of the stairs, there was one where he was holding a baby dragon, his then-new sister Barb, looking proud to the camera.

The scent of the breakfast made the two teen dragons drool before they reached the kitchen and Spike was caught in a rib-crushing hug. “MMFH! M-mom!!” Jasmine Stone was a large dragon with sunset-colored scales which sometimes seemed yellow and other times red. A long crudely made jasmine scarf was carefully wrapped around her neck. Her spines were jasmine along with her eyes which were tearing up with pride. She held no shame for her tears for she was the most pony-like dragon Spike ever met. She was the most vocal supporter for the creation of Dragon Town, a community head who inspired hope in dragons, a negotiator between the two races, and she went so far as to change her name to something more ponyish and introduced dragon marriage to the community with the scarf being a sign of it.

“My little egg is all grown up and leaving the cave… I just can’t take it!” She held him close which made him sigh but he hugged back tightly hoping the tears would stop before she made him cry.

“I’m not leaving yet mom I still have a lot to do before I leave Dragon Town.”

“You’re right about that mister! I mean you haven’t even opened your gifts. Your sister helped wrap them.” Said baby was in a highchair and giggled when she was mentioned, clapping her claws while laughing at Spike’s position. She had Jasmine’s scales but her spines were silver. Spike smiled walking to his sister once he was free and hugged her close before tickling her belly.

“Oh she did, did she? This won’t be as bad as when she helped make breakfast, will it? Heh.” He put her down to eat her applesauce which he stole a finger of after seeing the rubies that were sprinkled in. His mother swatted at his shoulder and made him take a seat. Mina was already digging into her cakes telling Spike of the new order of comics her shop just got in and about how there was a new hero who was a dragon. Spike laughed and spit out some milk when she brought up the year he had dressed up like Humdrum and the other when he was the hero Kick-Flank.

After a second helping and a bowl of applesauce hitting his face, Spike was leaving and waved at his mom before promising to be back before sunset so they could all say goodbye and open the small group of gifts that were all piled together. He laughed as they looked like they took a mountain of wrapping paper and tape. Mina walked with him as they neared the comic shop she owned. “You know most dragons would go for the presents first.”

“Yeah, but most didn’t almost destroy a city did they?” Both shuddered at the memory of when Spike first was faced with greed, something he had been told about but never faced until his pony friends heard about his hatchday and they brought a mountain of gifts. He had grown to the size of a building before he was able to regain his senses with the help of… somepony. He couldn’t really remember. “No, I like saving my gifts besides most are usually just gems or treasure.”

“Ooo I like treasure but comics are more me.”

“Same, I mean hoards are important and all but I rather focus on more important things.”

“Like your figurines and sword? Some hoard we got, mine is full of comics and fanfiction and yours is pictures and stuff, our ancestors are so brokenhearted ha!”

“Pfft, I see that as a good thing. I mean what would we do with a bunch of gold and jewels? Eat them? I like the things that last…” Mina stared at her friend and smiled, he was so different than the dragons she met when she was younger. She used to live in the Dragon Lands but moved with the rest of the first settlers of Dragon Town after Princess Celestia offered them a part of Fillydelphia. Spike was different though, he never came from the Dragon Lands and it was often thought that he had come from nowhere one night with only Jasmine knowing the truth.

“The things that last… I hope you find what you’re looking for.”

“Thanks Mina… for always being my friend. Without you, I may have gone crazy a long time ago.”

"Heh, I only delayed the inevitable." The two smiled and shared a brief hug before they arrived at the comic shop and Spike bought several issues of the Power Ponies, The mysterious Mare-Do-Well, and Spider-Mule. They spent the next hour talking about this new dragon hero who had a metal arm and used tricks to pretend he was using magic. She told him that she would meet him once she was done with work and he nodded waving at her. He looked around before running into a nearby alleyway and opening a manhole (Ponyhole?) before going in and closing it behind him.

He only walked for a few minutes before he found the ladder he was looking for, one that seemed to stretch on forever. At the top, it opened to show he was on top of the tallest building in Dragon Town. He smiled looking over Fillydelphia and sat on the edge of the building, somehow knowing deep down that this would be the last time he would ever sit like this.

Spike felt something hit his knees and looked down to find that he was crying. When did the tears start? Why weren’t they stopping? He didn’t know but only held himself as he cried.

“You sure know how to pick them don’t you?” Spike only sighed hearing the voice when he felt the presence sit next to him. “Didn’t think you would get out of a talk by hiding up here did you?”

“Heh, a guy can hope right?” Spike sniffled and wiped his eyes while looking away from the dragon. They were both silent while looking at the city for a few minutes before Spike spoke. “So what words of wisdom did you come to give me dad?”

“It’s been a long time since you called me that…”

“Because you told me you hated it…” Spike growled but it was weak, born of anger but also of sadness. Obsidian only offered a grunt in reply, his usual answer to things that he cared nothing for. He was a tall and stocky dragon with midnight scales and silver spines. He always wore a silver scarf that was flawlessly made by Jasmine and a knapsack that hung at his side. He was one of the leaders of Dragon Town and the most like the dragons of the Dragon Lands. He was a tough dragon to impress and even tougher on his kids at least he was on Spike. The little dragon never knew why no matter what he did, he could never do anything good enough for the old brute but at this moment he was struck silent. He actually sounded sincere.

“So… you’re really leaving?”

“O-of course, I have to. I just know that there is more out there for me, something is calling out and I just feel that this is my path. You don’t think I can do it do you? You don’t think I can survive on my own… You never believed in me...“ Spike’s fists were clenched so tightly he thought he may break his scales when he heard something he never expected. A sniffle, one that didn’t come from him. He turned sharply and saw the smiling face of Obsidian Stone with a few tears running down his cheeks.

“You know a dragon shouldn’t see crying as an insult… you and Jasmine taught me that… You two taught me so much. No matter what I did to change you, to make you more like me it only seemed to push you farther away. I didn’t believe in you back then, I thought you would stay the weak dragon you were and never leave Dragon Town. To tell the truth, it actually pissed me off.” Spike tried to look surprised, he really did, but ended up laughing. Obsidian only cracked another smile. “Even when you announced that you would leave I was sure that you would change your mind but here you are. I know you’re doubting yourself but you are still doing it, that takes guts. Only now do I see why you never wanted to be like me, you aren’t me, you aren’t like any other dragon I’ve ever met. You cook, clean, play piano, and swordfight for Scale’s sake!”

“Please don’t mention that dragon. Is there a but coming?”

“Don’t interrupt Shrimp, we’re having a moment.” Spike held up his claws and allowed him to continue. “But, you stayed true to yourself through everything. Spike, I owe you an apology for everything… and for not being anything to you...”

“You don’t have to-”

“But I want to. This is about my honor boy, you know what a dragon’s honor should mean to them.”

“It should be everything…” Obsidian smirked in a very Spike-like way as he pulled an ancient worn book from his knapsack.

“That’s right. You know you don’t write half as bad as you talk.”

“Hey! That’s my-”

“Noble Dragon Code. Looks more like a diary if you ask me, you know hiding things under your bed is really old-fashioned. Even I used to hide extra gems under my rock bed.” Spike snatched the book with a blush.

“I thought you like old fashion! Besides, this is a journal not a diary!” Obsidian laughed and smacked Spike on the back, nearly knocking him off the building. “Hey, careful! I’m not built like a mountain like you!”

“No no you’re not but I think in time you’ll become a dragon you can be proud of.” Spike looked up at him as he was pulling himself back on the building, Obsidian held out a claw and Spike took it.

“Why… Why are you telling me this?”

“To be honest… I think I’ll miss you and that sass of yours. This town really loves you, try not to forget us out there.”

“Never. You’re all my family.”

“Yes but the journey you now take will be one that you’ll start alone. With no one to guide you and sometimes it may get to be too much but have faith in yourself and your lineage. It will take you far and I have something for you.” He pulled a leather cord necklace from his knapsack, a large gold pendant hung from it in the shape of the sun, and tossed it at Spike. “This is something I think should be returned to you.”

“Returned? I've never seen that thing before.”

“It will make sense soon, trust me.” Obsidian jumped off the building, spinning and flew back up crossing his arms at Spike. “When have I ever lied to ya?” Spike smirked and stood, looking up at him and pretended to think about it.

“Really want me to answer that?”

“You know forget what I said about missing that sass.” He rolled his eyes and turned away but then stopped. “For what it’s worth… I’m proud of you son.” With those words, he dived back to Dragon Town, leaving Spike alone with his thoughts. He took a deep breath and smiled at the setting sun, the wind blew through his scales as he looked at the pendant and slipped it around his neck.

“Thanks, Dad.”

. . .

When Spike exited the sewer, He entered main street to find every dragon was out and about, talking and eating while kids were running around with green and purple sparklers and gemstones.

“Whoa! What’s going on?”

“Your going away party of course! You didn’t think you would just get away without one did you dummy?” Spike turned to see a smirking Mina eating some nachos with emerald chunks. She offered some and he took one, looking around at everything that was for him. “Hey, you okay?” He tilted his head in confusion but then felt he was crying. He wiped his eyes and nodded.

“Yeah… just I suppose I never knew so many cared is all.” Mina smiled softly and touched his shoulder.

“You’ve always been a good friend and even babysitter to many of the kids around. Everyone saw you and… they saw what we want to be I guess.” He had never thought about his role in the community but then saw his mother standing nearby helping a child that had fallen. They ran over and she pulled him into a hug.

“What do you think? Were you surprised?”

“Of course! You know you didn’t have to do all this mom.”

“I didn’t, your father and the other leaders put it together.” Her large smile wavered when she saw the necklace on his chest. It seemed to turn sad as she caressed his cheek. “My little boy… come on everyone is waiting to give you your gifts.” She led them to her cave where a bunch of close family friends was waiting, the children all tackling Spike when they saw him. There was the pile of gifts but now it was bigger, nearly making Spike’s greed flare up but it was tempered with laughter as Spike picked up the present at the top and found Barb was hugging it.

“Heh wanna help me open all these Barbs?” The baby answered by beginning to eat the bow on the present. The two opened each present, one getting set on fire from a burp from Barb, with most being gems, bits, little collectibles, and records. One gift was a shroud for his sword that hooked onto his back and another his mother gave to him saying that it was from his father, some dragon armor. Dragon armor was passed down through family lines and to be given even a piece was proof that the dragon was being recognized as grown. He revealed the armor which turned out to be gauntlets. They were beautifully crafted gold and silver with a green flame symbol recently stamped on the back of the hands which ended in razor-sharp claws. He slipped them on and found them to be a perfect fit. “Wow… they feel amazing…”

“He told me to tell you that the armor was more than just pretty but that you would have to figure out the rest by yourself.”

“Of course he did.” Spike rolled his eyes and laughed before looking up at the night sky, knowing that Obsidian would be looking down at them. The party would eventually end with everyone waving as Spike, holding a large bag with all his belongings and his sword strapped to his back, would be heading to the train station. The only ones that followed were his mother, Barb, and Mina. “Well time to choose where I should go.”

“Actually sweetie, I already bought you a ticket.” Spike tilted his head in confusion at his mother when he held out a ticket to Canterlot. “I know this is your journey and you have to be the one that makes the choices from here on out but… I have one more thing for you.” She pulled out an old looking letter that had a gold horseshoe seal. “This… I was told to give it to you when you would one day leave Dragon Town. The letter will explain more about this and why I’m sending you to Canterlot but… know that no matter what you found out or what you choose… You’ll always be my son and you'll always have a home here. I just hope you won’t hate me...”

Spike wiped her tears and gave her a smile. “I could never hate my mother.” They shared a hug and he kissed her cheek.

“Thank you Spike, I needed to hear that. N-now say your goodbyes.” He nodded and walked over to Mina, who was crying. He felt his own eyes getting watery and he sniffled before he opened his arms and the two hugged.

“So… do you really have to leave?” Spike sighed knowing that if he dwelled on the question too long his conviction may give out so he nodded slowly.

“Yes… I love Dragon Town and this will always be my home but… there is a world out there I can someday see and maybe with all my talents I can show that Dragons aren’t just the brutes that most ponies think we are. This is my chance to make a difference… You don’t think I’m being selfish do you?”

She shook her head and punched his shoulder while sniffling herself. “You selfish? That’s one of those old dragon problems and we are anything but old, besides… I don’t think you could be selfish if you tried. It’s time I stop trying to be too.” She let him go and wiped her eyes before giving him a large smile. “Now you go out there and see the world and you better send me back some cool souvenirs! Now go, I think one more dragon needs you…” He nodded, turning to the last member of his family present. Jasmine gently set Barb on the ground where she began to clumsily wobble to Spike. He kneed and opened his arms ready to catch her if needed.

“Come on Barb give your big bro one big hug before I go.” She made some incoherent noises before she got in his arms-length and allowed her legs to give out where she was scooped up in warm strong arms. “Heh, you did that on purpose.”

“Bra… Bro-her… Pike...” His eyes widened as Barb snuggled into his hold and fell asleep sucking on her own tail. He nuzzled her head and kissed it.

“I’ll miss you too…” He gave her back to her crying mom as the train’s whistle went off. “I-it’s time now. I should be going.” He was once again pulled into a hug from his mom which made him complain but he hugged her back before Mina joined in.

“We’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too, all of you.” They let go and Spike jumped on the train as it began to move.

“D-don’t forget to write!”

“Every week! I promise!” He waved as the train left them behind and he sighed, there was no going back now. He took a seat and pulled out the letter, nervousness and actual fear at what it contained nearly overtaking him. Spike gathered his courage and opened it.

Dear Spike
If you’re reading this then you must be leaving the safety and security of Dragon Town for the first time. I… it’s strange writing a letter to somepony or rather somedragon in this case who is right next to me. It’s hard knowing that the precious little baby in my hooves will be grown next time we meet. Jasmine Stone was not your hatchmother Spike, I was. I am Celestia Solaris Eclipsa, the ruler of Equestria.
Spike stared at the letter, unable to read more until he processed the words he just read. He had heard of the alicorn princess of course, every dragon in Dragon Town did. She was the deciding vote that helped create the dragon community and Jasmine had even met her once. Now he understood the necklace around his neck, it was her symbol. He touched the necklace and for a moment anger filled him, she had abandoned him and left him with nothing. The princess of all of Equestria and the only thing she left him was a necklace.

He tore the necklace off his neck, flames building in his throat as all he wanted to do was melt the pendant. The flames stopped though as the necklace fell to the ground and the train car’s sprinklers covered him in water. He quickly protected the letter and grabbed his things while moving to another car and before he could be blamed. He placed the necklace next to him and took a deep breath before he returned to the letter.

I can't imagine that was easy for you to read and I'm sure you must have endless questions for me. Ones that I would be waiting to answer for you. For fear that this letter may be read by some creature else I need to keep a fair amount still hidden from you for now. Jasmine Stone will have put you on a train for Canterlot and would already have sent me a letter of the day you would arrive by the time you are reading this.
I know I don't deserve it but I hope you'll find it in your heart to come to the castle and give me the chance to talk and try to make things right between us. However, if you do not wish to see me I would understand and all you have to do is tell the pony at the station that would be escorting you to me that you do not wish to see me. You would then be given a large amount of bits to help you start your life anywhere you wish.
Spike, I know I haven't been a proper hatchmother and that you must see me as awful but just in case you choose to not see me I want to say that I never wanted to send you away. I also made sure to keep tabs on your growth and the dragon you would become. No matter what you choose, know deep down that I am proud to now call you Spike Solaris.

With Love, Celestia.

Spike sighed and wiped his eyes when he noticed something much newer than the rest of the text but still a few years old was added at the bottom.

P.S. Keep that sword on your back and wear the necklace so my guards will know who you are.

"My sword? How would she know about that?" He decided that any questions he had would be answered at the castle if he chose to see the princess. This choice was his to make, one that would decide where he went on from here. He yawned looking out the window, the moonlight reflecting off the necklace beside him, and he laid his head down deciding to make his choice after some rest.

Author's Note:

Oh man I really hope everyone isn't getting sick of me now with all the updating haha. I'll really try to get the sequel story I've been working on out tomorrow if work gives me free time. Then I will finish the next chapter for the Dragon Alchemist and then we'll work through this all again. I want to say thank you to all of you for the support and patience with me! Also thanks for everything with Spike Writes a Book. I loved the feedback! Oh! Before I go, I know this story seems a lot like The Alchemist's Dream but this one will have a much bigger focus on relationships with the mane 6 but also with the many background ponies of Ponyville with not as much action but some here and there.

Comments ( 18 )

I think it would a little more interesting if Spike decided NOT to see Celestia, at least not yet, and just goes straight to Ponyville. But that's just me.

10112249
Hmm maybe choosing to avoid her for now would offer him some growth. Learning more about her from Twi or somepony else

10112284
And when the time finally comes, have Celestia come to Spike, instead of when he comes back to Canterlot. It'll help show her how genuine and sincere she is.

10112295
That makes sense especially if twilight mentions her gaining a dragon friend

10112305
I also got a couple ideas for ya but I feel we'll have to do through PM, if you're interested that is.

10113789
Sure that's fine.

At first I didn't like this direction mainly because of how you normally do Spike and Celestia relationships and naturally OC's. I hate OC's but it's your story. I'm very eager to see how this goes and excited for more.

10119310
The OCs won't be nearly as prominent as the main cast so not much to worry there. I must admit that I was going to have Celestia and Spike just have the mother son relationship but now I may have them build up to it. Celestia does have a good reason for leaving Spike and truly has kept an eye on him but couldn't be the mother he needed. Rockabye Dragon does have that closer relationship though.

10119338
Good I sure hope not and I like this idea a ton. Can't just forgive and forget after all he has been through. I approve and need to finish those chapters lol

10119350
Nah at most they'll be mentioned here and there with one more chapter way later showing them meeting Spike's friends but they'd go home then. Nope I have a bit of a absent dad myself and my brother is bitter about it. That is what I'll have for Spike at least at first but as he meets others like Twilight and hears what they have to say about her. He may open himself up to the chance of meeting. The latest one did have cute moments of the two being a family at least for half of the chapter.

10119366
Veey nice lol and I never met my dad so I know what it's like and can't blame Spike at all. Very nice I'll have to read it later.

Keep writing, it's great so far.

I’ve only just started read and can’t wait to read more when there’s an update! 😁

10293431
I plan to update all my stories at once. Just some home stuff taking up my time

This is a good story I can't wait for the next update😁

Impressive!:moustache:

Really good job, 9/10 would read again. Hope a sequel is in the making.

11441818
Oh I love this story I may update soon.

Login or register to comment