• Published 21st Aug 2012
  • 8,229 Views, 69 Comments

Divine Intervention - Closer-To-The-Sun



Rainbow Dash makes a visit to the library to find Spike at home. As the two chat and hang out, Dash is beginning to ask herself some personal questions.

  • ...
6
 69
 8,229

Ch. 3 Outer Space

Chapter 3: Outer Space

"Rainbow Dash? Hello? Anypony home?" Spike called to the pony, waving his claws in the air in hopes of getting her attention.

The blue pegasus was snapped out of her thoughts by the dragon's voice, "Huh, wha?"

"I was saying that I need to go and run some errands and pick some things up before Twilight gets back tomorrow morning. Will you be alright if I leave you here by yourself?" the dragon repeated his question that Dash didn't hear.

"Oh, uh, you know what, why I don't I help ya out? Ya know, so you don't have to carry all of that stuff alone," Rainbow quickly added the second part to give her a reasonable excuse to go with him.

Spike nodded, "Alright, that will be really helpful for me!"

Rainbow Dash hopped off the sofa and walked with Spike out of the library and to the Ponyville marketplace. As they walked, Spike started some small talk between himself and the blue pony.

"I didn't mean to disrupt your reading like that. It really looked like you were sucked into the plot of the story."

Rainbow gave a half-hearted laugh, "Heh heh, yeah. I was really sucked into the story." The pegasus was not going to admit she was thinking about Spike the entire time.

"You can come by the library at any time to continue whenever you want. I'm sure Twilight won't mind too much," Spike smiled.

"Alright then," Rainbow quickly said before changing the subject, "Hey, Spike. You remember that dragon migration not too long ago?"

Spike turned his head towards Dash as he continued to walk forward, "Yeah, what about it?"

"Well, I know this sounds weird coming from me and all," the pegasus began, trying to look anywhere but at the small dragon she was trotting next to, "but have to say that after seeing ya stand up to those other dragons and be really gutsy, I have some new found respect for you."

Spike slightly laughed at the idea, "You have respect for me?"

Rainbow Dash quickly added to her statement after Spike's reaction, "I mean, don't take it the wrong way, you're still a little squirt and all, but you know what? You're alright in my book, kid." She lightly hit her hoof against Spike's arm, giving him a smile.

The dragon's cheeks slightly turned a shade of pink, "Haha, alright. Thanks for the complement, Rainbow Dash."

"So, shall we get those errands out of the way then, shorty?" Rainbow asked, changing the subject.

The small dragon nodded, "Yup, let's get these things done!"

The afternoon quickly went by as the blue pegasus and the purple dragon finished the checklist and enjoyed each other's company. Celestia's sun was sinking downward in the distance and the night was beginning to settle in on Equestria.

Spike and Rainbow Dash returned to the Ponyville library from the errands as the Luna's moon was beginning to rise and light up the evening.

Entering the library, Rainbow spoke, "Where do ya want the quills, parchment, and herbs at?"

"Oh, you can set them on the center table. I'll take care of them in a second," the dragon replied, carrying a paper bag of food with both of his arms, trying to see over the top of it.

"Gotcha," the pegasus replied as she placed the saddlebag of items on the table before trotting to the kitchen where Spike when. She watched him unpack the paper bag of food from behind for a moment. She then quickly snapped herself out from thinking about the dragon by violently shaking her head.

Spike heard the movement behind him. He turned around and saw Rainbow Dash standing in the doorway. With a warm smile, he spoke, "You know, you can go home now."

"You sure? I mean, I can still help ya out, if ya want," Dash was a bit surprised at herself for offering to help Spike.

"Yeah, I can handle things from here. I'm just going to organize the stuff we just got and then enjoy a few gems before bed," Spike explained.

The pegasus still had a concerned look upon her face, "Alright, if you're sure and all."

"Yeah, no need to worry about it," Spike said as he walked with Dash to the doorway.

Outside in the night air, Rainbow turned around and looked towards Spike through the doorway, "Alright, guess I'll see ya around then."

Spike nodded, "See ya. And Rainbow Dash?"

The pony tilted her head at her name being called, "Hm?"

"Thanks for making today fun."

A smile appeared on Dash's face, "Hey, thank you for being awesome!"

Spike laughed as the two bid farewell to each other.

Taking a deep breath of the crisp night air, Rainbow Dash flew up into the sky to return to her home in Cloudsdale. As she soared through the air, she smiled as her mind reflected on the fun day she had with the small dragon. Dash was surprised to find that both she and Spike shared the same type of humor and even the same type of spicy food. However, as her mind wandered to when they returned to the library, Rainbow was surprised that she offered to stay and help out Spike with anything he needed.

"What was that all about? Did I seriously ask Spike if he needed help with chores? Wait….did running those errands count as chores?" Rainbow Dash kept asking herself questions that she thought she had the answers for. Yet, she did not have any of them. One question that she asked herself, however, she found a bit more serious and shocking:

"Sweet Celestia….am I….crushing on Spike?"